PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Flakes!

NightingaleLHC
April 5th, 2008, 08:49 AM
OMG its so bad! The only thing that works is henna, but I can't henna every time I wash my hair! I tried neem but that didn't do anything. THe only thing that comes remotely close to working is dandruff shampoos, but they are so harsh, I really don't want to use them on a regular basis. But the flakes need to stop. They are big and multiplying! The worse its ever been!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anything that works for them?? Please help!:(

blue_nant
April 5th, 2008, 08:55 AM
If you have horrible flakes accompanied by scabby sores on the scalp, I recommend tea tree oil applied directly on the sores. It's oily, so there are drawbacks, but the TTO really helps in short order.

Before you have a chance to do the treatment for your scalp, just check the mirror frequently and hope for the best.

HaiirPEACE
April 5th, 2008, 08:55 AM
i'm not sure if this is what you are looking for. but i had the same problem and i use Redken's dandruff shampoo twice a week. but i know you don't want a shampoo. Redken actually has a dandruff leave in treatment you could try =]

Katze
April 5th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Honey will calm it down, as will a vinegar rinse.

That aside, could it be you are under a lot of stress, or your diet isn't very good at the moment, or you're touching your scalp? Any of those things will make my scalp start acting up, and no amount of dandruff shampoo or EOs will stop it.

At the moment I'm coming out of a period of severe stress and a terrible flu lasting more than a month, and focusing really hard on eating better and taking care of myself. For much of the fall and winter, my scalp was itching and shedding terribly, I had flakes and crusty buildup, and nothing was working. Vinegar, SMTs, which usually help, didn't. Also, because of the stress, I was touching my scalp more out of nervousness, and that makes it worse.

Especially if you're eating more sugar or drinking more alcohol or coffee, or eating a lot of white flour products, this can upset your body's chemistry and make your scalp react.

I would try an SMT treatment - the honey is calming and antibacterial - and if that doesn't work, try a vinegar rinse in a couple of days.

good luck

Katze

Shirlpunzel
April 5th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I second trying the tea tree oil. It certainly helped me.

I'm not quite sure how to link to an individual post, but here's a link to another dandruff thread where I posted in more detail on TTO:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1223

Gulbahar
April 5th, 2008, 11:16 AM
What kind of shampoo do you normally use? Maybe they are to harsh and you scalp reacts to that.

anna1850
April 5th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I used to have flakes and used anti-dandruff shampoo for years which did work but was too harsh.

After I found this site I realised that it wasn't actually dandruff, it was an unhappy scalp. An ACV rinse at the end of my hair wash put my scalp back to the right ph and I haven't had any problems since.

Don't know if you have the same problem but it's worth a try if you haven't already.

Wanderer09
April 5th, 2008, 11:56 AM
If the dandruff shampoo works well for you, maybe you could only wash your scalp with it while trying to keep it away from the rest of your hair? If you worry that it's too harsh for your hair, that is...

NightingaleLHC
April 5th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I've tried ACV. How long does it take to show an improvement? I don't make a habit out of it, but the times I have used it, I didn't notice a difference.

I use Trader Joe's Nourish Spa shampoo and conditioner. It doesn't have any sulfates or cones in it so I don't think it's too harsh. Plus, the flakes have gotten worse and I've been using the same shampoo the whole time.

I don't have scabs or anything like thats. It's just the flakes.

I will try the honey and TTO. Should I just plop it on my head, or is there a better way to go about it? Can I mix them together? Should I dilute the TTO with anything?

Thank you for the help

Kirin
April 5th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Try putting a drop of tea tree oil in your shampoo and conditioner (in a seperate container in case you dont like it) and a drop of olive oil, shake, use.

I would say about one drop per every three ounces of shampoo and conditioner. I did this for my flakey husband, worked great.

Alaia
April 5th, 2008, 03:40 PM
As far as ACV goes, it might actually be making it worse. That's what it did for me. It doesn't work for everyone.

Your scalp could be lacking in moisture, perhaps try oiling it. Tea Tree oil is a generally good antibacterial oil but might not get rid of your problem. I haven't managed to get rid of mine though so if you find something that works... ;)

Perhaps if it persists and/or gets worse, visit a dermatologist. If it's really a problem I'd suggest that.

Whimsical wind
April 5th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I have found that lemon juice and rosewater really help. Mix equal parts of each and dilute it in two or three cups of water.

anna1850
April 6th, 2008, 03:56 AM
I've tried ACV. How long does it take to show an improvement? I don't make a habit out of it, but the times I have used it, I didn't notice a difference.

For me I think it was after the first wash or 2. I also cut out SLS at the same time so it could be a combination of the two things as SLS can irritate the scalp. It worked wonders for me because my problem was that my scalp was not acidic enough but you may have an entirely different problem.

I haven't tried it but I've heard good things about Rosemary EO for flake removal so that might be worth a shot if nothing else works.

pinkprincess
April 6th, 2008, 08:00 AM
my scalp is like that and its quite oily too. but when i do an oil treatment, it seems to help enough that i can use a better shampoo and conditioner

yogachic
April 6th, 2008, 08:30 AM
OMG its so bad! The only thing that works is henna, but I can't henna every time I wash my hair! I tried neem but that didn't do anything. THe only thing that comes remotely close to working is dandruff shampoos, but they are so harsh, I really don't want to use them on a regular basis. But the flakes need to stop. They are big and multiplying! The worse its ever been!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anything that works for them?? Please help!:(

My husband has this same problem, I think its called Periassis ( i know I spelled this wrong) The only thing we've found to work is rubbing Olive oil on the scalp & leave it sit for an hour or more, then wash. Keeps it at bay for a week or two, but then you must repeat this. My husband doesn't keep up with it, so he still has the problem.

NightingaleLHC
April 6th, 2008, 07:44 PM
My husband has this same problem, I think its called Periassis ( i know I spelled this wrong) The only thing we've found to work is rubbing Olive oil on the scalp & leave it sit for an hour or more, then wash. Keeps it at bay for a week or two, but then you must repeat this. My husband doesn't keep up with it, so he still has the problem.

Periassis? What is that? Do you mean Psoriasis? I'm not really sure what that is either, though on the Neutrogena T/Gel shampoo bottle that works really well for me it says that in addition to dandruff it treats psoriasis, so maybe that is my problem after all. I haven't had time to try any of the suggestions yet, but the next time I wash my hair I am going to try the olive oil rub down and then try mixing in some TTO into my shampoo, since I have both of those things on hand at the moment. Or do you think I should try them separately to see which one works best? I think that is the recommended way...

Something I didn't mention because I don't know if it's normal or not is that sometimes my scalp itches really badly in one spot and then I scratch it hard and it feels much better after that. Is that psoriasis? I am going to have to look into this.