PDA

View Full Version : Ascorbic Acid Rinse?

dorothea-brooke
April 27th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I just did a quick search and didn't find anything, so....

Does anyone know if you can do an ascorbic acid final rinse (i.e., post-shampoo-bar) instead of a citric acid or ACV rinse? Would results be the same? And if so, what should the proportions be?

I ask because I have a honking big bottle of the stuff lying around for fruit preservation, and I'd like to use it up instead of buying citric acid if possible.

TIA! :flower:

[ktani, I'm expecting to hear from you! :)]

Heidi_234
April 28th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Hey, I'm not ktani, but I think I might know something helpful.
One form of the Ascorbic acid is vitamin C. So using it for a rinse would roughly equal sqeezing lemons into the water. The only thing I'd be aware, is checking the pH of the rinse, since you wouldn't know how much of this stuff you'll need to make it the right pH - 5.
Dissolving vitamin C in water softens it (also see "Miracle Water (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51184)").
HTH :flower:

dorothea-brooke
April 28th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Hey, I'm not ktani, but I think I might know something helpful.
One form of the Ascorbic acid is vitamin C. So using it for a rinse would roughly equal sqeezing lemons into the water. The only thing I'd be aware, is checking the pH of the rinse, since you wouldn't know how much of this stuff you'll need to make it the right pH - 5.
Dissolving vitamin C in water softens it (also see "Miracle Water (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51184)").
HTH :flower:

Thanks, Heidi! Hmmm, I see more research afoot. And pH test strips! Fun! :cheese:

ETA: And thanks for the link to that other thread -- great info!

talervo
August 17th, 2009, 03:45 PM
While searching the internet to find out if there is an ascorbic acid rinse, someone somewhere posted they like to use an ascorbic acid rinse with chamomile. It might be here on LHC??
I wonder if you use the same ratio of ascorbic that you would with citric?

Fractalsofhair
August 17th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Hmm, I might have to try it. I have an excessive amount of vitamin C tabs lying around. (In robotics, we pulled a prank about preventing scurvy... Our robotics teacher and us, we got a day off from school since we had "contagious scurvy" and we then distributed vitamin C bottles around the school. XD)

melikai
August 18th, 2009, 08:59 PM
While searching the internet to find out if there is an ascorbic acid rinse, someone somewhere posted they like to use an ascorbic acid rinse with chamomile. It might be here on LHC??
I wonder if you use the same ratio of ascorbic that you would with citric?

What is the ratio for citric acid? Would concentrated lemon juice count as citric acid, or are people using pure citric acid crystals or something? :confused:

justgreen
August 18th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Citric acid is different from ascorbic (lemon juice, etc). I buy mine from the health food store , in bulk, so I don't have to buy a whole ton of it, just a little baggy full.

melikai
August 19th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Oh okay. I guess I had the word 'citrus' in mind with citric acid, and that threw me off. ;)
I'm pretty sure I did read some thread about people using lemon juice in place of vinegar for an acid rinse though?

Madame J
August 19th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Lemon juice is actually primarily citric acid -- citric acid makes up 5% of lemon juice, according to Wikipedia. Ascorbic acid is Vitamin C, and 1 oz. (~30 g) of lemon juice has only 14 mg of ascorbic acid, which means it's only about 0.04% of the juice's makeup.

melikai
August 19th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Interesting. So then lemon juice would be a citric acid rinse, primarily. Any idea on the ratio, or do I just use a "splash" in a container of water like with vinegar?