PDA

View Full Version : Retro Styled hair and the problems....

WelshLocks
April 27th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I put my hair up in a really pretty 1940s retro styled updo, spent a good 20 minutes on it and was very pleased.(I didn't recieve any compliments and was a little mad about that but that besides the point)
I have been noticing a lot of dandruff lately and was a little worried so for the second day in a row I washed my hair,this time with Anti-dandruff shampoo and a ton of conditioner.(the hot water was turned off in my house so that I'm sure was a plus as well).My hair got super soft and really fluffy.Very very pretty,and I was surprised.

First question: Is it alright to do an anti-dandruff shampoo once a week?
The next morning(this morning):
When I was putting my hair up I had to hairspray it with some liquid hairspray(Garnier Fructise).My hair doesn't look crunchy but it feels crunchy that's for sure.My question is: should I wash it tonight?Can I use the dandruff shampoo tonight?Or should I just try and reuse the style tomorrow?

The style my hair was in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljLqBWXMv4M&feature=channel

And nobody complimented me on my hair today.Not cool.
Thanks!
~Ace

misstwist
April 27th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Very cute! I've been doing my front much like that with a braided bun in the back. We entertain in nursing homes so I always get comments and compliments from residents.

I often walk out of the bathroom and tell my husband "I require a compliment on this hairstyle." We value direct communication (and it has become a bit of a running joke). :) I wonder if somebody in your life would respond well to this kind of command.

WelshLocks
April 27th, 2009, 09:18 PM
"I require a compliment on this hairstyle."

haha I wish somebody would respond to that. My mom would probably raise her eyebrows and tell me to go cut my hair.
:)

MadPirateBippy
April 28th, 2009, 12:41 AM
If you want compliments on hair styles, post the pictures here! :D

We love pics and will gush, if given the slightest reason.

Fethenwen
April 28th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Now that is a lot of hairspray... ouch! But I do live that style.
About the dandruff thing, never go to sleep with hairspray! Always rinse it off your hair first. That may cause itch and dandruff and all sorts of things, saying that from personal experience.

Flynn
April 28th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Now that is a lot of hairspray... ouch! But I do live that style.
About the dandruff thing, never go to sleep with hairspray! Always rinse it off your hair first. That may cause itch and dandruff and all sorts of things, saying that from personal experience.

Also, surely lying down on anything that makes your hair go stiff can't be good for your hair...?!

longhairedfairy
April 28th, 2009, 02:05 AM
I used to use dandruff shampoo every day. It's fine unless you're really sensitive to it.

magpielaura
April 28th, 2009, 02:48 AM
I love those hair styles! I havn't tried one yet but I might have to now!

I struggle on and off with dandruff and it dosen't follow much of a pattern - I use dandruff shampoo/not use it/use natural things... haven't figured out which help and which aggravate it! Fewer washings are often recommended on LHC to avoid damage, but it depends on your hair and what you do to it. If the styles you use regularly require lots of hairspray then washing frequently might be the best thing to do. Dandruff shampoo can be quite harsh - I used dandruff shampoo daily a few years ago and I don't think it did me any favours in the long term. Perhaps make sure you do some sort of moisture treatment every so often?

I'm sure I saw somewhere that Aloe vera gel works well as a hair gel - I've not tried myself, but maybe that would work and might be good for your hair and scalp at the same time. I've rubbed it into my scalp when it was feeling irritated and it didn't dry gunky, so need not be washed out a soon as hairspray does.

misstwist
April 28th, 2009, 08:04 AM
As to hairspray with retro styles--I don't use it. You just need something to keep the flyaways under control and for some of the rolls to give your hair a little stickiness. Aloe vera gel works just fine for that for me. If my hair is too clean I sometimes mix the avg with a little bit of castor oil. I have also used shea butter to help forming these styles.

Peggy E.
April 28th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Sort of product overload! Amazing to watch that video, though, and can't imagine no one commenting on your hair when you styled it in this manner.

Maybe they were all so amazed by its brilliance there were simply no words and only a stunned awe-induced silence was possible?!! Did you post pics here? We tend not to be so silent!!!

Can't help with the washing questions, but after having used the spray, wax and heavy styling, it probably will benefit your hair and scalp to go through a clarifying shampoo and maybe a vinegar rinse.

heidihug
April 28th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I use hairspray every work day, and make no apologies for it. If I didn't, my sideswept fringe would be a greasy hank of limp hair by the end of the day. I only wash every other day, once on weekends. I am careful to not get hair spray on my skin, or much on my scalp, if I can prevent it. If you comb out your hair at the end of the day above your sink or wastebasket, any flakes of hair spray should slough off, and you should be good to go for the next day if you don't want to wash.

The kind of hair spray I use doesn't rinse out, either, I must use shampoo to remove it.

spidermom
April 28th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Weird what people will and won't comment on. I've spent a considerable amount of time doing an elaborate braided style before, and though I did it mainly for my own satisfaction, it's a little deflating to not get one single comment on it.

Definitely post pictures here next time. People comment.

Periwinkle
April 28th, 2009, 09:48 AM
That's a really amazing style :wow:

Anti-dandruff shampoo? Shampoo gets a bad rap round here, but I certainly feel I need it to keep my scalp under control. I have dandruff that comes and goes and also general itchiness that is very persistent if I don't use shampoo at least every other wash. If it helps, I would just use it - what harm can it do?

Afraid I can't help you with the hairspray, though :)

RancheroTheBee
April 28th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I often walk out of the bathroom and tell my husband "I require a compliment on this hairstyle." We value direct communication (and it has become a bit of a running joke). :) I wonder if somebody in your life would respond well to this kind of command.

Hahaha. I do that with my boyfriend. "Tell me I'm pretty." He does the same thing to me, blatantly fishing for compliments in the least subtle way. The way we see it, the most direct communication makes everything smoother.

To the OP: This will sound weird, but are you sure its dandruff? Could be dryness or hairspray buildup? In any case, if you're worried about the shampoo being to harsh, perhaps you can dilute it a little bit.

PS: WE WANT PICTURES. :) I'd love to see you with this hairstyle.

MemSahib
April 28th, 2009, 03:43 PM
My husband has used Head & Shoulders (or an H & S knockoff) for YEARS with no ill effects. I have told him repeatedly, "But you don't have dandruff." His reply: "See? It works!" I want to throttle him because he has never had dandruff, ever, but try to convince a man... Anyway, neither his hair nor his scalp seem bothered by it but I did talk him into using some conditioner a few years ago and I think his hair is less dry now than it used to be right after a shower.

If you think you have dandruff, you can probably safely use a dandruff shampoo with a rich conditioner afterward and be OK.

Jessica Trapp
April 28th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Very cute!

Definitely post photos here.

:)

lacereza
April 28th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I use Selsun (not the Blue stuff, a pink kind in a yellow bottle from Australia) as a scalp treatment every few weeks. It's wonderful.

Anje
April 28th, 2009, 04:44 PM
My husband has used Head & Shoulders (or an H & S knockoff) for YEARS with no ill effects. I have told him repeatedly, "But you don't have dandruff." His reply: "See? It works!"
Dandruff shampoo also helps prevent attacks from tigers with AK-47s.

Laurenji
April 28th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I've found that T-Gel is really the only thing that gets rid of my dandruff...it smells nasty, though, and I haven't used it for a while since I've been trying to see if CO-ing will keep my scalp from drying up. Some people on the CO thread swear that it's the only thing that's cured their dandruff.

AnneAdeline
April 28th, 2009, 05:59 PM
That's a wonderful style (it's been about 20 minutes since I first read your post--I got trapped over at Youtube!). Next time, post a picture here! We'd all love to see it.

Dandruff shampoo also helps prevent attacks from tigers with AK-47s.
:D

Suldrun
April 28th, 2009, 06:07 PM
What a cute style. Thanks for the link. I am sure we would all love to see a picture if you have one :)

enfys
April 30th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Hahaha. I do that with my boyfriend. "Tell me I'm pretty." He does the same thing to me, blatantly fishing for compliments in the least subtle way. The way we see it, the most direct communication makes everything smoother.

To the OP: This will sound weird, but are you sure its dandruff? Could be dryness or hairspray buildup? In any case, if you're worried about the shampoo being to harsh, perhaps you can dilute it a little bit.

PS: WE WANT PICTURES. :) I'd love to see you with this hairstyle.

I'm inclined to think it was hair spray not dandruff too.

Also, not that I've tried it, but using sugar spray would probably do the same job. Just dissolve some sugar in water and pop it in a spritzy bottle.

I used setting lotion rather than hair spray for styles like that, but I'd use sugar spray now. And aloe gel will be all you need to smooth down flyaway hairs.

Shame the lady who did the video has cut her hair now. So few preople have long hair that do vintage styles, makes it very hard to get ideas.