PDA

View Full Version : What to do about...

karenpetal
April 27th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Hey - whenever I am in doubt i turn to you guys because I feel comfortable discussing here -

I work at a salon and started off with doign nails and have slowly learnt lot of stuff - have been handling the hairdo part - my salon has only 2 people full time - the owner and me and her niece who helps us sometimes.

I ahve been perfectign hairdo and over winter have been offering free hairdos with manicure/pedicure - basic french do and braids to build my clientele

Now as summer comes lot of of my clients come in for haveing hair cut and major chops - the part where Ia m can get really humid -at one hand its good for my salon but then i feel like talking them out of it if their hair is healthy and doesnt really needs to be cut.

I am feelign guilty and wanted advice as to how to dealw ith this

THanks

ravenreed
April 27th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I think that if I went to a salon for a hair cut and someone tried to talk me out of it, it would be just as rude as if someone tried to convince me to cut my hair shorter than I wanted. I am paying for a service. I expect to get what makes me happy, what ever length that might be. I hope that helps.

melrose1985
April 27th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Dont feel bad, if someone comes in and wants the hair cut then that's fine they are makeing their own choice about it.

JamieLeigh
April 27th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I agree with ravenreed. If we who love it long get irritated at those who want us to cut it short, those who love it short are probably irritated with people who keep suggesting that they grow it out. You really don't want to appear rude, so just do whatever they ask.

On the up side, if there is anyone who is coming in to you for "just a tiny trim", you'll be one of the stylists who actually listen and don't take off too much. ;)

karenpetal
April 27th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Thank you but sometimes I think they doing this because they arent too sure and do you think and what to do when they ask for advice - the owner always suggests new hair cuts and I do the otherwise -

SHELIAANN1969
April 27th, 2009, 11:07 AM
In the end people make their own mind up, if you try and take away the owners business by asking people NOT to cut their hair, you may be out of a job, when you step on toes and take money away from someone, they may get a bit angry.

If they ask YOU for advice, you can surely give it to them, if they ask the person cutting their hair, then that's their client and they are doing their job.

If you can get to them before the other gals do, you can give YOUR advice.

I would tread carefully if it isn't your client, if it is your client, that's what you are there for.

misstwist
April 27th, 2009, 11:08 AM
You need to do what the owner wants to do. Talk to her about your idea--maybe present the idea of offering a trim with a brief lesson in how to do a simple updo for a small extra charge.

Peggy E.
April 27th, 2009, 12:17 PM
We all happen to love long hair. Not everyone loves long hair, nor are they willing to care for it. This is fine - it's what makes the world an interesting place and not a cookie-cutter Twilight Zone episode!

If your client is asking for your advice - what would look best, knowing their lifestyle, what they are willing to do with the upkeep for hair - and you honestly feel long hair is a better option for them, there's nothing wrong in making that suggestion. The client has made the request, wants an honest response and will ask for you again as you establish a relationship.

If you get from the client that a shorter hair style is best for that person - due to lifestyle issues, maybe more flattering, whatever - then make this suggestion. It's possible to be as "anti-short-hairs" as it is the "anti-long-hairs" - this reverse-discrimination, whatever - so you don't want to do this, either.

Clients will appreciate honesty and not simply someone who's mouthing the owner's mantra. And the owner will appreciate the growing clientelle base you'll be building for the business!

You can have beautiful long and short hair - what makes it beautiful is the care we give it, and how it flatters and shows us off to our best advantage. A lot of people know how they want their hair done - like 99.9% of us here! But for those who are seeking help in making a decision, they will respect your learned advice.

Enjoy yourself and make the most of your career!

heidi w.
April 27th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I would find a simple one-liner statement when a client arrives with such a request, that would allow an opportunity to have a discussion. While most probably still want the cut, I am betting a percentage would be open to learning summer updos!

1. Could you offer a half day, or two hour thing on summer hair updos and have a few of your clients be "models" to show them hairstyles they can do themselves? This way you continue to build clientele and have a free give-away such as a hair fork or stick for all attendees, or a free pass to a 15-30 minute free private session to learn 2 updos with you, practicing in your presence. (Perhaps this could include a quick overview on detangling hair.) You'd be surprised how many folks feel they cannot do a basic 3 strand braid on themselves.

Perhaps you could then increase sales by opening an aisle of items for updos: sticks, combs and the like. The more hair friendly the better.

This idea means you do not have to talk to clients personally.

2. Then a one-liner simple question could be appropriate. I would come up with something about, I am most happy to cut your hair as you please; however, you have such beautiful hair, and want to be sure this is what you want before I provide this service. If you're too hot, perhaps you might like it if I teach you a few updos you can do?

Then let them decide. It certainly doesn't hurt to "double check" that the request is really what they want. To a degree, all my hair stylists, when a client came in with long(er) tresses and requested a fairly sizeable cut, they all at least double checked that this isn't an impulsive decision, that the person really does want that. Often that meant discussing the reason behind the request.

My hair guru used to spend a lot of time teaching people how to do updos and braids on their own, with his assistance. He would show how it's done, unravel it, and make me do it on my own in his presence. Then I'd go home and practice.

3. Some easy summer do's are:
pigtails, braided or not (they can look really cool); in turn these can be made up in two smaller buns on the head -- good weekend look; and the braids can include ribbons!
figure 8 (sideways) updo (usually requires around waist length)--requires only a stick
bees butt bunn (can be done with hair shoulder length and longer)
french twist (can be done with shoulder length and longer) - nice for dinner out or work install a comb or decorative element--variables can allow for curly hair to be frothy at the top, peeking out, or straight hair to hang down....
change the parts (such as my first suggestion -- 2 smaller buns...a zig-zag part looks really cool)

4. Check out Long Hair Loom.com Styling Station. Lots of how-to instructions and pictures. This site has instructions on updos, too.

heidi w.

heidi w.
April 27th, 2009, 01:00 PM
5. For those with really, really long hair, I recommend requests for cuts be done in stages, not all at once. This will help the person adjust psychologically, and help them find their true comfort for their length.

6. If your salon can ever afford the visual aide of the computer software of what a person will actually look like from all angles with a given cut, I would purchase it. This will help people understand the difference between what they want and imagine it will turn out like, v. what it'll actually look like.

heidi w.

heidi w.
April 27th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Thank you but sometimes I think they doing this because they arent too sure and do you think and what to do when they ask for advice - the owner always suggests new hair cuts and I do the otherwise -

Karenpetal, I think you would be wise to double check with a simple question, and offer a solution, perhaps, up front without forcing them to absolutely clearly articulate their concern. Part of being professional in any profession is knowing the usual gripes and have solutions at the ready. Being willing to offer an alternative such as teaching them an updo (not just you making it and sending them home...but truly educating them on the how-to before they leave the salon) is a wise way to continue to increase clientele.

For example, when I talk to women on the street about long hair, I tell them things and the most common reply I get to suggestions is, "Oh, I didn't know about that."

Such as scalp washing instead of washing all the hair several times a week.
Or that there are products that do decrease air drying time.
Or that there are hair friendly decorations that are useful (a variety of sticks) that can hold a hair style up
Or how to detangle longer tresses properly
Or for curly girls, don't detangle and use conditioner while in the shower with an extra wide tooth comb

I recommend your station be filled with photos of women with hair updos with nice hair toys in them. Perhaps you could ask folks here to contribute to your station's image by PMing you a photo to use????

heidi w.

spidermom
April 27th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I don't think that there is anything wrong with telling somebody that her hair is beautiful at the current length and asking if she/he is sure about the change. Then do whatever he/she wishes. I once wanted my nearly BSL hair cut and the first hair stylist flattered me and my hair enormously and sent me out with a small trim. A week or so later, I went to somebody else who gave me a bi-level (mullet). At the time, I liked it. So light and easy and carefree. One problem with long hair - it can feel heavy. Even stifling sometimes.

Fethenwen
April 27th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Many go to saloons to get a new haircut, they feel bored or just want to look trendy.
But I think it's ok to suggest different things, if you see for sure that a customer will not suit in a haircut that she wants it can always be discussed, but carefully, maybe discuss a few changes that make the cut fit the customers looks and hair type better.
I also think that if a customer has really lovely long hair, you could compliment on it, and maybe she will agree that she only needs a little trim instead of doing anything drastic. I don't think that doing nothing to a customers hair would be a good idea :P At least do a tiny trim on the ends if nothing else, to keep your boss happy.
But even if someone has the loveliest longest hair, remember that it doesn't always make them feel better, especially if it does not suit their shape of face.

Remember: the customers is seldom right, but do their bidding anyway ^^

Pixna
April 27th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I have always appreciated (in retrospect, unfortunately) the stylists who asked me, very directly, before cutting my long hair, if I was certain that was what I wanted. Had someone talked to me respectfully beforehand, told me I had beautiful hair, and that he/she wanted to be certain this was what I wanted, I might not have taken the leap and made a regrettable decision. Even though each time I went short the stylist did ask me, no one ever complimented my long hair or really spent time with me beforehand.

I would suggest asking the client if she is certain about her decision and whether she would like to talk about it before you begin. You might inquire about why she has decided to go short, and then that could open up opportunities to discuss updos and other ways to wear hair in hot, humid weather.

Sure, some people really and truly do want to go short, and that needs to be sorted out beforehand and respected. But I think there are a lot more people who would prefer to keep their long hair if they knew how to care for it, received feedback on how lovely it is (assuming it's lovely, of course--no sense it lying about it), and knew what to do with it (in terms of updos and alternate ways of wearing it).

heidi w.
April 27th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Many go to saloons to get a new haircut, they feel bored or just want to look trendy.

Cute typo!
heee-heee!
heidi w.

karenpetal
April 27th, 2009, 05:33 PM
wow folks thank you Heidi, pixna, fethenwena and Spider mom for suggestions - I understand I should not be stepping opn their toes and really liked the idea of coming up with aone liner and complimneting on their hair where needed -

Any other stuff other than pigtails and buns to try out to cool off !!!

enfys
April 30th, 2009, 04:47 AM
I think maybe suggesting other options for them might help, such as if they complain they have heavy hair suggest layers rather than cutting. Things like that.

How about showing people how to use scarves and bandanas, and maybe show how to protect hair when swimming. That could be a good opportunity to get selling soime products too, leave in conditioners etc.

It's hard not to try and push our opinions onto people, with anything, but some people do deliberately grow their hair in winter for warmth then cut it off in summer to be cool.

paper
April 30th, 2009, 08:22 AM
No advice, but this reminds me of my DS's GF. She had waist length hair and she has wanted it cut above her shoulders for a long time, but no one would do it. They kept telling her she would regret it. She finally found someone to do it, and she loves it!

susiemw
April 30th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Or that there are products that do decrease air drying time.

really?? I had no idea...
when i was in high school my hair was so thick it would still
be wet the next day!

Not to hijack the thread but: Heidi, please enlighten me!

susan