PDA

View Full Version : Hair colour holds in my hair!

Shufro
April 27th, 2009, 09:13 AM

Peggy E.
April 27th, 2009, 09:29 AM
English is my first - and only (unless you count Latin, and I sure don't!) - language and you've got it down every bit as well as do I! ;o)

Have you been coloring your own hair? Sounds like this is the case. If so, maybe you'd get better results at a salon. There would be ways of treating your hair and different color formulas that would help the hair shaft to open up and hold on to the color.

Of course now that you have a henna wash in it, too, might shed a different light upon the situation. But, again, a professional would be the best source. You don't want to risk severely damaging your hair and having to cut a lot off.

If your hair is black, isn't that pretty dark?

Gothic Lolita
April 27th, 2009, 09:41 AM
English is my second language, so you're in good company here as a non native speaker!

I'd second the salon option, getting you hair done there might be more permanent as salons have other formulas than the box dye.
Are you aiming simply for a richer colour osr do you want a certain shade, like bluish black? If yes, you could achieve this with Indigo over your henna. Indigo has a blue dye molecule and doesn't hold on itself on the hair. By first hennaing your hair and then applying, sometimes multiple times, indigo you can achieve black. However, indigo fades after some time and needs to be redone.

When did you henna and how many applications have you done? On box dye there's normally something that you shouldn't use it on hennaed hair, but many here had success dyeing their hair chemically after they waited for 4 weeks after their last henna without any problems. Again, the salon might be safer here and I'd really consult one to not damage your hair beyond repair.

Some idea has just stricken me: A frined of mine has also curly hair, not as curly as you, but that wasn't the crucial point in her poor dye atempts. (She always tried some crazy purpelish/reddish/black colors on blonde hair and never got anything that looked what it was supposed to be). The reason the colour always got that uneven and didn't hold was some nasty silicone build-up.
I don't know how you care for your hair, and what products you use, but sharing would be a good option, so we could figure out if build up prevents the dye from taking. After my friend switched to a cone-free shampoo for a few days and tried to color again everything got nice and even and still is. Maybe that's the same for you and is easiest to check out and you wouldn't have to go to a salon first.

Shufro
April 28th, 2009, 03:15 PM
thanks for ur answers!
Yes gothic lolita im aiming for that indigo black hair that i trully love! But the thing is that i live in sweden (not far from were u live ;) and i looked for indigo for some time know and theres no stores were u can get it and i dont want to order from the internet i dont feel safe to do that.
I did my last henna exactly 1 year ago and i did it maby maximum 4-5 times before that but i got many red highlights in my hair i'll upload in my album u can check it out. I do use silicone products (schampoo, balsam, treatments and siliconedrops) but mostly from salons. What do silicone do with the hair? :S

Gothic Lolita
April 29th, 2009, 01:54 AM
I like Sweden very much and I'd love to get there sometime. However, Finland's first!

That your last henna application is so long ago, makes it easier, but I'd still suggest the salon and also tell them that you've used henna in the past. Since you can't find Indigo locally (I too don't order from the Internet for the same reasons) makes the salon in my opinion, the safest method.

Silicones are often used in shampoo and other hair care products to make the hair more shiny and tangel free, they leave the hair looking moisturized and healthy. They leave a coating on the hair and act somewhat protecting. However, this coating also prevents moisture and whatever else the hair need to really reach the hair shaft. After using silicones a long time, many experience a build-up of silicone on the hair shaft, because they can't be washed away with only water. To get rid of the build up, you'll ne to clarify with a shampoo or baking soda (searching the forums will give you more information) that doesn't contain silicone itself.
I can't really give information about how your hair might feel when having build-up, as I never had a problem with it and now I'm using herbal shampoo for a long time. Some report that their hair feels dry even when wet, like plastic and doll's hair.
If you want to use silicone on your hair is a personal choice about how your hair likes them, if it needs them and what you think about the stuff in your hair. I'd never tell anyone that they're simply bad stuff, some figure their hair needs them, which is true. Others can't use them. My hair doesn't need them but also got away with them. I figured that I didn't want to put something on my head I didn't need. Again, looking a bit through the formuns and experimenting a bit at home will give you better answers.

SimplyLonghair
April 29th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Salon dyes are stronger about staying put in my opinion than home box dyes.

But before you give up on it all, I would suggest doing a clarifying shampoo before you try putting on any new color. I really think that the silicones are preventing the uptake and keeping of the color on your hair.

I would also suggest using something that says that it is a color safe shampoo after your next coloring. They help the cuticle stay flatter to keep the color intact.

My DD used a dark professional dye, years ago, and it had to be cut off as nothing lightened it.
Good luck in your search.:cool::)

Isilme
April 29th, 2009, 03:26 AM
pm'd you about finding indigo in Sweden!