PDA

View Full Version : wishing one of our experts would create a S&D Tutorial

Yedda
April 26th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I know I am both S&D and hair challenged, but I wish one of our S&D gurus would create a S&D tutorial-perhaps showing a picture of what a healthy or normal strand of hair looks like versus what a split looks like (Since they may look different-some white dots, twist/kink at the end, etc.)

I've posted before about how I get confused in trying to figure out what strands are just short layers and which ones are splits. I personally don't get actual white dots (maybe because my hair is so fine they aren't visible).

I know this would be a lot of work but never hurts to ask. It would be a nice way for one of our sucessful S&Der's to share efficient ways of S&D-how to identify splits, how to properly trim splits, what type of scissors to use, how often, how to get the back, etc etc.

Well, I'm not sure if anyone will end up creating an article on this but thanks for reading!

Merewen
April 26th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Ditto! Most of my splits are pretty obvious, but I've got a few strands that have this weird kink to them and I can't decide if it's damage or if I should leave them.

spidermom
April 26th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I think the easiest way to find damage is pay attention while you are combing or brushing your hair. If there's a snarl, stop and look at the hairs. Damaged hairs will be lighter in color than the majority of the hair, and instead of it looking like just one hair, it will divide at some point and there will be two or more bits sticking out, like this: Y. Sometimes there are a lot more than one little split. Sometimes hairs can be so damaged that the single hair looks something like a feather.

You can google split ends and find pictures - lots and lots of pictures. But I don't think it's very productive to spend hours and hours looking through your hair for problems. Just pay attention; the damage usually announces itself with snarls/tangles/knots.

Cinnamon Hair
April 26th, 2009, 11:00 PM
No article but I saved a drawing of the various types of split ends from the old boards. Maybe it will be of some help in deciding which are splits. I didn't draw this myself, ts.english did, I think. (Please correct me if you know who did it.)

http://classiclength1.googlepages.com/split_end_chart.jpg

Nat242
April 26th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Also, if you're not sure, try running your fingertips over the strand (or several strands). I find I can often "feel" damage (kinks, white dots, splits, tiny knots/knots in the hair itself) more easily than I can see it.

Merewen
April 26th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Aha! They are crinkles. That is very helpful. Thank you!

nayver
April 27th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Oh my! I've had all these splits :D over the years!!! The scariest for me is the tree shaped.

Heidi_234
April 27th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I personally am very generous when it comes to S&D. It doesn't hurt the length, you only cut a dozen of hairs maybe out of the hundreds you have, it really can't hurt the length or anything. So I cut hairs the or obvious splits and those who I suspect at being damaged. I'm generous, I prefer to cut more hairs and have them all healthy than cut less and have the damage still there. It just can't hurt the hair, it can only help. That's just my personal opinion.

helen2806
April 27th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Oh my! I've had all these splits :D over the years!!! The scariest for me is the tree shaped.

me too! the tree shaped ones are awful, I make sure to snip well above them!