PDA

View Full Version : Can't figure out how to wash my hair!

bttrfly857
April 5th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Sounds crazy, doesn't it? lol.

Anyway, I've briefly tried CO, no cones, natural products, etc. and am now back to using Garnier just out of frustration.

It seems no matter what I try, my scalp is really oily within 24 hours. It's really tough to skip a day of showering and still look decent. I'm not sure what other info you need, or if anyone can help, but I'd really like to find a routine that I can stick to!

Miss Murphy
April 5th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Nitsirk, I think the culprit might not be your hair or your scalp - but just the fact that you didn't stick it out.

If you really want to stretch time between washes, you need a while to get over the yuck period. Also, when you switch to a new routine, you need to give your hair and scalp time to adjust.
And we're talking weeks, maybe a month here ;-)

I would suggest going back and maybe start with stretching your washes. Also, it sounds that your scalp might be overproducing oil because you strip it too much of its natural oil - you might therefore look into CO again. Just don't expect any solutions within a few days (or even weeks, as I said).

And this isn't even a matter of us knowing more about your hair - even if you and I had the same hair type exactly, what works for me probably wouldn't work for you.
And there are other factors, like the hardness of your water, to factor in as well.

Feisty Redhead
April 5th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I agree with Miss Murphy. I know when you come here and learn all these new things, you want to dive right in and try them all out right away. But you need to slow down, try one new thing at a time and give it enough time to know how it's really going to work. Like a month or so, at the least. Finding what works best for you takes time. Patience is not one of my strengths so I know how hard it can be to stick something out when there are other things to try, but believe me it's worth it!

physicschick
April 5th, 2008, 08:38 AM
If it just looks oily, try some updos or other styles to hide the greasiness. Like others suggested, you might not have waited long enough for your scalp to adjust. Also, I'd recommend sticking with a product you're used to while changing your wash schedule - one thing at a time. However, if not washing turns your scalp horribly itchy, flakey, and covered with crud, some things are just not worth it. (That's why I initially couldn't stretch my washes past every 2 days.)

angelthadiva
April 5th, 2008, 08:48 AM
No new suggestions other than keep track of what you've been using like in a blog or journal when you can. Record how your hair responded to what you used...A lot of us have found our routine by trial and error, OR by finding a hair twin and find out from them what they have found that works...That helps save time and money...Also, you might want to try samples of products rather than committing to making a full size purchases until you find products that work and give you the results you are looking for...

That said, I was every 2-3 days. I stretch that out even more after I color (I go almost a week w/o washing)...Most of the time, you can not tell that my hair has not been washed. I use oils on my hair and it honestly looks like a styling product.

When you are able (you might still be on restrictions) update your profile to reflect your hair type, that will give ppl an idea of what you are working with, and that can help people to advise you! :flower:

Katze
April 5th, 2008, 09:18 AM
good advice here already.

It does sound like you are washing too often, and maybe not trying any one method long enough?

I was really really frustrated with my hair for a long time, so I know what you must be feeling - don't worry, you will figure it out. And we are here for you. :)

peace

Katze

MusingFrog
April 5th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Ditto to what all the others said. You might try washing every other day in the beginning. Keep that up for a couple of weeks or until how your hair looks on the second day doesn't bug you anymore. Then try every three days progressing in the same manner. The trick is to not bite off more than you can chew. Don't think you are going to go start washing your hair once a week after washing every day for years. You are going to doom yourself to failure from the start.

While you are stretching out the washes try to keep other things constant. I'm assuming you had a shampoo you liked before trying lots of different things, use that while stretching out the washes. And when you wash don't overdue the shampoo. Wash until your hair is clean and no more, doing a quick second/third/fourth shampoo will probably be more counterproductive than anything in the end.

Neon Gloss
April 5th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Yes... Try to wash every other day, then keep going... I used to wash daily, but now I can hold out for at least a week without washing. It'll work eventually.

doodlesmart
April 5th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Bandanas/scarves/hats/buffs are good friends to have during the yuck phase as someone accurately described it.

amaiaisabella
April 5th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Put your hair up in a bun when it gets greasy! I find my hair is easier to "mold" into what I want when it's dirty :)

spidermom
April 5th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I have the most consistent good results washing my hair CWC style (conditioner to length, wash scalp, conditioner again) with diluted shampoo. I saved an old shampoo bottle, put about 1/2 cup of warm water in it, add my dollop of shampoo, shake, then squirt all over my scalp area (even bending forward while holding my length in one hand, squirting shampoo solution around the nape of neck hair). Then run fingers from forehead area to nape several times. Rinse. It cleans my scalp and hair very well but never makes my hair feels stripped. I do this whenever I feel the need, which works out to every 3-4 days most weeks.

I suggest you make one change and stick with it for two weeks before you make another change. As stated, it takes awhile for scalp/hair/attitude to adjust. Too many changes too fast and you won't know what works and what doesn't.

Arianwen
April 5th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Hmm I like the diluted shampoo idea, when I run more I have to wash my hair more and it gets to feeling kind of over cleaned. Thanks spidermom!

LaurelSpring
April 5th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I also just started this past week going to every other day and no blow dryer, no curling iron. I am definately in the YUK phase but I am determined to break on through to the other side. Thank God I dont have a boyfriend right now.

bttrfly857
April 9th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Alright, sorry I posted and then vanished!!

Right now I'm trying shampoo + condition one day, then water only the next. Repeat. So I'm only shampooing every 48hours.

I'm hoping after that to cut out the water only... does that seem like a logical way to do it?

When you guys only wash once or twice a week, do you water only inbetween, or don't wash at all? I'm assume don't wash at all....

And you're right, I probably am a bit anxious with all this, and I'll try to keep a journal and take my time. So the suggestions seem to be stretch out the time between washings, then play with different methods of washing?

Thanks for all the responses btw!

amaiaisabella
April 9th, 2008, 07:15 PM
I'm glad you are trying new methods!

My method, personally, is to CO every 2 to 3 days- I'm really trying to make the third day, so I end up putting it up then. My hair is feeling so much more moisturized!

Since you are doing the shampoo and condition method, I might try that one day, and then the next CO. I don't think you would get the greasies as much than as compared to just plain water.

Good luck!

magicatt
April 9th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I'm going to give you different advice than you've been getting. There is nothing wrong with washing your hair every day. There was a thread on the boards before the big crash where a lot of people with fine hair were saying that they have to wash every day no matter how hard they tried to stretch those washings out. Fine hair simply shows the smallest amount of scalp oils and goes flat and greasy. Hair care is individual. Find what works for you and keep doing it without worrying what people on the boards say is right or wrong. They don't have your hair.

willowcandra
April 10th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Sounds crazy, doesn't it? lol.

Anyway, I've briefly tried CO, no cones, natural products, etc. and am now back to using Garnier just out of frustration.

It seems no matter what I try, my scalp is really oily within 24 hours. It's really tough to skip a day of showering and still look decent. I'm not sure what other info you need, or if anyone can help, but I'd really like to find a routine that I can stick to!

I fthe Garnier is working for you then why search for something else? You don't have to go cone free/sulphate free or poo free just because it works for some people.

I am a greasy girl and I can go a bit longer between washes if I dilute the shampoo and rinse it well and don't condition the scalp, it also helps to wash my hair with cooler water, hot water seems to get my scalp spurting out the oils so to speak.:)

ETA; I need to wash about every other day to stay looking fresh, day one hair is fluffy but then greasy by the end of day two. But I only wash about once a week. Tied in a bun my hair doesn't look greasy. My hair likes to get it's own oils on it.-not sure about my scalp though lol.
Washing your hair everyday wouldn't be harmful as long as you are gentle and condition well. Some people's hair benefits from regular drenching and conditioning.

ChloeDharma
April 10th, 2008, 01:14 AM
I'm going to echo Magicatt and Willowcandra.....

The issue with washing tends to be that it's more vulnerable to damage when it's wet. I figure just be more carefull. Try out Spidermoms technique or a version similar called C-COW-C which is like she described but you mix shampoo with conditioner for the scalp wash part of it.

I can go easily over a week without washing because my hair doesn't really get oily.....but also i oil up my hair anyway and slick it back into an oily bun (plus i'm actually trying to increase my wash frequency for an experiment but i'm chronically lazy and can't be bothered :p). But i sometimes wonder if i should be getting it wet more often. Hair tends to like water.....that's why people mist it. Gentle more frequent washing could be acting like.....a heavy misting.

As has been said, you don't have to rush out and try every idea you see here instantly, and in fact lots of popular ideas might not even be right for your hair