PDA

View Full Version : Formaldehyde for hair

learnthenLive!
April 26th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and on the news last night they had a piece on using formaldehyde on hair. They were saying it makes hair beautiful. I didn't watch it. It was one of those things where they were going to test it out on one of the newscasters. Has anyone ever heard of using formaldehyde on hair? It seems to me it would be horrible for hair.

marialena
April 26th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Are they kidding??
Formaldehyde is totally toxic, carcinogenic and already banned in some countries from the use in cosmetics.
Even if this substance could make hair beautiful, because it has preserving qualities, (something that I doubt because I believe that beauty comes only through health.), I wouldn't use on my hair something that is so strong that can embalm corpses.

spidermom
April 26th, 2009, 06:54 PM
It's weird, but I have heard this also. I don't know a lot about formaldehyde, though. I assume it's toxic because I remember how it smelled in biology class (remember dissecting frogs?); it made my head hurt!

Feline
April 26th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I nearly got sick in HS biology class on dissection days; I thought it was the yuckiness of dissection, but the one day I had a raging head cold and couldn't smell anything, I had no problem. Had to have been the smell of the formaldehyde. In my hair? No way!

learnthenLive!
April 26th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Yes, I remember the smell of it from HS, too. It was awful. The piece I saw was the woman newscaster having it put on her hair. I would never put that on my hair that's why I thought it was so weird. I wish I would have stayed up and watched it now. Seems to me it would make your hair fall out.

longhairedfairy
April 26th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Yuck! That is the most disgusting stuff! I hate the stench! :puke:

viking_quest
April 26th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I actually didn't mind the smell of formaldehyde in biology but I wouldn't actually consider putting it on my hair.

ravenreed
April 26th, 2009, 07:27 PM
It is still used in some nail polish here in the U.S.

manderly
April 26th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Hmmm, while I think it smells pretty bad and it's probably not something I'd like to try, I can totally understand the theory behind it (or my perceived theory).

Formaldehyde is used to preserve dead tissue. Hair is essentially dead once it exits the scalp. :shrug: Makes sense, I suppose.

Starr
April 26th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Sounds like the controversial Brazilian Straightening Technique to me . . . it's been around for a couple of years now and is more common than you think.

http://hubpages.com/hub/straightbs

http://cbs4.com/local/brazilian.hair.treatments.2.661559.html

BittSweetCherry
April 26th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Formaldehyde is still used as a slow-release preservative in hair products as DMDM Hydantoin, but it is in really trace amounts, and there's less of it in an average bottle of shampoo or conditioner than the recommended maximum daily exposure limit. I can't think of any reason why or how formaldehyde could help your hair in the least, but it is a suspected carcinogen and we can't our hands on it in the lab for love nor money.

However, fifty years ago my professors used to use it like water to clean glassware, much like modern students use acetone.

wahmof9
April 26th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I researched form. years ago because it is also in vaccines. I was told by a scientist that it should never be on or in a LIVING human body hence it being used to embalm once you are DEAD.
I WANT long hair, I love long hair but I would never put my health at risk. And don't be fooled whatever is on your head gets into your body...

losgan
April 26th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I wouldn't let that stuff near my hair ... in one of my college classes, some ended up dripping on the back of my neck (long story) and I had a horrible allergic reaction.

And yeah - it smells awful.

JessicaVonMaim
April 26th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Sounds like the controversial Brazilian Straightening Technique to me . . . it's been around for a couple of years now and is more common than you think.

http://hubpages.com/hub/straightbs

http://cbs4.com/local/brazilian.hair.treatments.2.661559.html

I thought so too. Like the slather your hair in this formaldehyde formula and then straighten it with some insanely hot iron and it is supposed to make it really shiny and frizz free. But you have to leave the stuff in their for three days without washing!

Sounds kind of smelly and not too healthy to me :hmm:

BlackfootHair
April 26th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Holy crap!! That's insane. I've seen formaldehyde burns on nails...I can only imagine how it could do that to hair. It does harden nails, by drying them out most likely, but also can damage them from drying them out so much. In the hair? Um, I think NOT.

BlackfootHair
April 26th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Here's a color corrector that has a form of formaldehyde in it. Yuck.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Ion-Color-Corrector/SBS-305884,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair05-10

Gypsygirl
April 26th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Formaldehyde is totally toxic, carcinogenic and already banned in some countries from the use in cosmetics.

I absolutely second that! This is really one of the things that nobody should for anything use unless it's absolutely necessary. It's very bad for your health and very bad for our beautiful planet.

Flynn
April 27th, 2009, 12:06 AM
It will do incredible things for hair and nails, but for the sake of your health, I'd suggest not even thinking of going near it. It has not yet been demonstrated to be a human carcinogen, but is has been shown to be a carcinogen in rats (but water has been too, so take that how you like). It is, however, toxic. You don't want your bathroom full of formaldehyde fumes.

I understand its use in cosmetics has already been banned in the EU, but I may be incorrect there.

Note than in Australia (or in NSW at least, don't know about other states) the schools had to get rid of any biological samples preserved in formaldehyde because they were considered too hazardous.

Goddessey
April 27th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I recently bought the greatest leave in conditioner that contains DMDM Hydantoin. I was skeptical about it at first, having only recently realized what DMDM Hydantoin is, but the product got tons of great reviews, so I tried it. And it really WAS just as great as everyone said!

Then, I did a bit of digging through my other toiletries and realized that Jergens, a lotion that I've been using since middle school (I'm in my 30's now) also has DMDM Hydantoin listed among it's ingredients. So, I figured that whatever damage (if any) from it would already be done, so still I continue to use the my favorite lotion and the new fave leave in conditioner.

Flynn
April 27th, 2009, 02:02 AM
DMDM hydantoin is there as a preservative, not a treatment, though, so the levels of it -- and therefore also of formaldehyde -- should be very (I mean vanishingly) low.

When you have enough that it's meant to be behaving as the treatment, well, I think it's time to worry.

Finoriel
April 27th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I´m seconding marialena. Putting any formaldehyde on ones hair is just not worth the risk. I see how it could work chemically, but I would not trade my health for beauty. :wink: I´m aware the fact that not everyone thinks alike though.

Just wanted to add: Even though their concentration in shampoos or conditioners is below a certain level, they are still not harmless and completely safe to use. Formaldehydes have been under discussion since years, they are banned in cosmetics in many countries and there are max. emission levels for furniture and other items they are used in. Problem is if you are sensitive to them the max. level considered "safe" for the average person is not keeping one from reacting to much lower levels :shrug: and the fumes one is exposed to add up. Using a conditioner containing it, some old nailpolish, dymondwook items and owning some furniture or a carpet where it is contained, can add up to a level of exposure which is well above of any max. level.
For those who want to avoid formaldehyde I suggest to research some facts about dymond wood. There have been several members reacting to it who needed to get rid of their hair-toy collections. I know it is very much loved here, but it contains formaldehyde, which is enough for me to not buy any hairtoys made from it. Just a heads up for those who did not know and want to avoid it :flower:

Flynn
April 27th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Formaldehyde is still used as a slow-release preservative in hair products as DMDM Hydantoin, but it is in really trace amounts, and there's less of it in an average bottle of shampoo or conditioner than the recommended maximum daily exposure limit. I can't think of any reason why or how formaldehyde could help your hair in the least, but it is a suspected carcinogen and we can't our hands on it in the lab for love nor money.

However, fifty years ago my professors used to use it like water to clean glassware, much like modern students use acetone.
It's ironic you should talk about having it "on your hands"... look up Revitanail sometime. The stuff seriously works. It turns chemo patients' nails that have turned "chalky"due to treatment back to normal. One of its key ingredients? Formaldehyde. No thanks.

Juanita
April 27th, 2009, 05:59 AM
The chinese put it in fabric used for clothing!!!

Flynn
April 27th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Not just the Chinese. Practically everyone. You know how you can smell synthetic fabrics? That new car smell? Among other things, that smell is often at least partly formaldehyde. (Sometimes formaldehyde is the most innocuous of the mix.) It's just part of the manufacturing process for your good ol' synthetic fibers, and there's not much you can do about it other than avoid them, or wash before wearing (I generally do... one of those weird organics* makes me itchy!)

(* Organics as in organic chemicals, like formaldehyde. Chemistry terminology, has nothing to do with "organic" in the food sense.)

Lady Verity
April 27th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I'm certain I read an article a while back about how some of Dove's cosmetics involved formaldehyde. I remember, because it made me laugh for weeks. :rolleyes:

Juanita
April 27th, 2009, 06:17 AM
It's all very scarey out there.

Anje
April 27th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Interesting idea, but I think I'll pass.

As I understand it, formaldehyde causes the keratin in nails to cross-link, making them harder, but more brittle. I suspect that it would do similar things if applied to hair, probably strengthening it at the expense of elasticity. Never mind that it's nasty stuff and carcinogenic.

For the record, there are a LOT of preservatives that function by slowly releasing small quantities of formaldehyde over time. Extraordinarily common preservation technique for all sorts of products. The body is able to handle some small quantities of formaldehyde, and it's naturally occurring in some foods, too, so paranoia isn't wise here.

Fencai
April 27th, 2009, 07:08 AM
being the Funeral Director's Daughter, you wouldn't catch me near the stuff, unless I'm working with my dad...

There are trace amounts in almost everything. Especially fabrics, and just because you can't smell it, doesnt mean its not there. Its used in both the dying (no pun intended here) and finishing process.
If you're sensitive to it, its scary.
Ive seen people in some of the clothing manufacturing companies Ive worked for, wear our own clothing, and then have their skin look like giant bruises because of the sensitivity.

Also, some companies will pass the lab testing just to get an order out there. Sadly, there's no way for the end consumer to know that until its too late.

sorry, for going off on a tangent here!

So, my final answer, not on my head!

lora410
April 27th, 2009, 07:21 AM
The use this in the Brazilian or keratin ( I think it's called) hair straightening. The added formaldehyde and went at it with a straight iron. Although the hair was gorgeous when they were done I can imagine in a few month when it wore off how bad it looked. I will not be using it on my hair; I don't care if it makes it grow a foot in one day (OK well maybe then)

heidi w.
April 27th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Great, another thing in the water that isn't supposed to be there!

To anyone considering this: no. don't. do. it.

It's used in straightening hair -- the "Brazilian Method".... can you say perm? Anytime one changes the shape of the hair (say curly to straight), this is essentially a type of perm....even if supposed methodology is "safer". A change is a change, and generally, after such a change, one can anticipate an increase in damage.

It includes protein keratin and formaldehyde. This hair straightening process leaves your hair looking shinier and smoother for up to three months. Your hair is frizz-free and full of body. It is fantastic for taming the unruly curls.

The process takes roughly an hour and a half and costs between $300 and $400.

However, formaldehyde, which plays a key role in the straightening process, has bad health effects. Because of this, new formulations just reached the market – they are formaldehyde-free.

The FDA did not limit the use of formaldehyde in hair products. However, it is recommended that concentrations should be no more than 0.2%. Many formulations still on the market contain up to 2% formaldehyde.
http://www.hair-styles-secrets-revealed.com/hair/437/non-formaldehyde-brazilian-hair-straightening-treatment/
This link is really about a non-formaldehyde method...but it includes a bit of explanation, which I quote above. This is viewed as a form of a "keratin" treatment....which hair is made up of.

Here's the OSHA FACT SHEET for Formaldehyde. For those who don't know what OSHA is, for companies that manufacture and/or use various types of "toxic" substances, there are regulations about how substances can be used, in what concentrations, allowance of exposure, type of room used in, heat, storage, cleanup...all of it as it concerns safety around various substances. All companies involved in use of any such substances are inspected on a fairly regular basis for compliance, and have to offer certification and inspections along the way. R&D to manufacturing companies are keenly aware of OSHA.

http://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/data_General_Facts/formaldehyde-factsheet.pdf

heidi w.

marialena
April 27th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Hmmm, while I think it smells pretty bad and it's probably not something I'd like to try, I can totally understand the theory behind it (or my perceived theory).

Formaldehyde is used to preserve dead tissue. Hair is essentially dead once it exits the scalp. :shrug: Makes sense, I suppose.

I don't find this point totally wrong but I don't thing that dead tissue is the same "dead" with our hair. I mean that hair is not a totally dead tissue, they have elasticity, dampness and are not free of any kind of living organisms. ( oils for example have living organisms in there who are not harmful ) .

Formaldehyde has so good preserving qualities because it can kill whatever lives, germs, bacteria or any other kind of living organism ( good or bad). It can also dilute any kind of oily substance that can preserve these organisms in there. ( have you ever seen embalmed bodies? They are like dried wax, don't have any elasticity, they have the shape of a body but are totally dry and stif. )

In any case I don't think that our hair are so dead to need embalming.. ( Oh Lord.. what am I writing here.. Bliah, bliah.. )

Iylivarae
April 27th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Formaldehyde also causes partial denaturation of proteins ( = it partially disrupts the structure of proteins). For our hair is mostly built of proteins, that is pretty harmful for the hair.

Also, formaldehyde is very volatile, and the damps can also be carcinogenic (that is why we have to work with it under a hood). Its use for preserving organisms here has also been banned, because it is just too toxic to work with it too long.

Definitely something you shouldn't want to have on your hair.

JamieLeigh
April 27th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Ew...no thanks! That is one of the creepiest things I've ever heard - it's right up there with that stuff containing placenta!! :eek:

practikalmagik
April 27th, 2009, 08:54 AM
erm... :run:

Seriously though, whilst I will try all sorts of weird stuff on my hair, I think a fluid used to preserve dead animals is pushing the boundary a little. I think I'll pass on this!

enfys
April 27th, 2009, 02:05 PM
It will do incredible things for hair and nails, but for the sake of your health, I'd suggest not even thinking of going near it. It has not yet been demonstrated to be a human carcinogen, but is has been shown to be a carcinogen in rats (but water has been too, so take that how you like). It is, however, toxic. You don't want your bathroom full of formaldehyde fumes.

I understand its use in cosmetics has already been banned in the EU, but I may be incorrect there.

Note than in Australia (or in NSW at least, don't know about other states) the schools had to get rid of any biological samples preserved in formaldehyde because they were considered too hazardous.

I don't know if it's not allowed to be used in products made here, but it's in those sold here. I read the back ofmy nail strengthening stuff today. Eek. It's just a one off in desperation anyway.

I can't imagine fancying putting it on my head, but I'm sure I have by now.

OhioLisa
April 27th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I´m seconding marialena. Putting any formaldehyde on ones hair is just not worth the risk. I see how it could work chemically, but I would not trade my health for beauty. :wink: I´m aware the fact that not everyone thinks alike though.

Just wanted to add: Even though their concentration in shampoos or conditioners is below a certain level, they are still not harmless and completely safe to use. Formaldehydes have been under discussion since years, they are banned in cosmetics in many countries and there are max. emission levels for furniture and other items they are used in. Problem is if you are sensitive to them the max. level considered "safe" for the average person is not keeping one from reacting to much lower levels :shrug: and the fumes one is exposed to add up. Using a conditioner containing it, some old nailpolish, dymondwook items and owning some furniture or a carpet where it is contained, can add up to a level of exposure which is well above of any max. level.
For those who want to avoid formaldehyde I suggest to research some facts about dymond wood. There have been several members reacting to it who needed to get rid of their hair-toy collections. I know it is very much loved here, but it contains formaldehyde, which is enough for me to not buy any hairtoys made from it. Just a heads up for those who did not know and want to avoid it :flower:

I have to second this. I was one of the people who had to give up almost my entire hairtoy collection due to reactions to the formaldehyde in dymondwood.

Kinda interesting to see so many people with the "eww, I would never let that near my hair" attitude... yet own a ton of dymondwood. Is it worth it? :shrug:

manderly
April 27th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I don't find this point totally wrong but I don't thing that dead tissue is the same "dead" with our hair. I mean that hair is not a totally dead tissue, they have elasticity, dampness and are not free of any kind of living organisms. ( oils for example have living organisms in there who are not harmful ) .

Formaldehyde has so good preserving qualities because it can kill whatever lives, germs, bacteria or any other kind of living organism ( good or bad). It can also dilute any kind of oily substance that can preserve these organisms in there. ( have you ever seen embalmed bodies? They are like dried wax, don't have any elasticity, they have the shape of a body but are totally dry and stif. )

In any case I don't think that our hair are so dead to need embalming.. ( Oh Lord.. what am I writing here.. Bliah, bliah.. )

I'm not condoning it......just seeing why someone would think that form. on hair would be a good idea. :flower:

I think it's nutty. :D

tiggens
April 27th, 2009, 02:35 PM
oh glory, bad idea there.

Part of a study I am working on involves taking biopsies from first year vet school students to pre, during, and post-exposure to formaldehyde to see if there is any effect and guess what? There is! Formaldehyde exposure damages olfactory cells in the nose.

Not that anyone is arguing that formaldehyde is safe, I just wanted to add one more reason: for the sake of your smell and taste, don't do it!

PS: luckily your olfactory epithelium regenerates, but still. danger!

Tressie
April 27th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I think I'll stick with my ACV rinses and pass on the formaldehyde! Gross!

KajiKodomo
April 28th, 2009, 07:08 AM
I don't think I'll be trying this anytime soon, haha! :D

LutraLutra
April 28th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Even very very very (very!) diluted AVC rinses are way too much for my skin, I can't imagine what effect formaldehyde would have. :eek:

SleepySin
April 29th, 2009, 12:17 AM
So.. I used to work at an animal clinic and acquired a little container of formaldehyde for my skin that was removed when I had a scarification piece done some years ago.

The label on the container reads as follows:

"Caution: Contains the Human Carcinogen formaldehyde

Toxic by ingestion or inhalation. Frequent or prolonged exposure increases risk and may lead to sensitization. Irritating to skin, eyes and mucous membranes."

Good stuff, eh?

Heavenly Locks
April 29th, 2009, 01:30 AM
That's way to close to my brain! I need that. LOL