PDA

View Full Version : How to get fairy-tale ends?

hennaphile
April 26th, 2009, 02:39 PM
My ends are thin and look "see-through" and I think fairy-tale ends are lovely... are there ways to get this?

Thanks! :D

jera
April 26th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I think not trimming will help you if you want fairy tale ends. f you prefer them to a blunt hemline, then that's what I'd do. Just let 'em grow. It sounds like you're already on your way to having them, since you say your ends are thin and see through. They will probably spiral into fairy tale ends eventually.:)

CrystalStar
April 26th, 2009, 02:52 PM
If ya wanna take the un-natural route, perhaps thinning scissors on the ends? I'm not sure though! :p

Just_Isabel
April 26th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Just don't cut/trim your hair. :)

Silverlox
April 26th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Yes, basically no trimming is the way to go in order to achieve natural fairytails. In order to keep splits and/or other damage at bay, you can do S&D. :flower:

"Unnatural" ways, in addition to the one suggested by CrystalStar, is to have layers cut. While it won't be "real" fairytails, it will still look something like it. Especially if you then continue with no trimming.

Rosepatrice
April 26th, 2009, 03:08 PM
What EXACTLY are fairy Tale Ends? I thought fine, thin, scraggly ends WERE Fariy Tale ends???

pdy2kn6
April 26th, 2009, 03:30 PM
i wouldnt do the thinning scissors technique mentioned above, i tried it along time ago because i wanted fairytale ends, it just made them scraggly at a short length. just give it time without trimming and they will develop, mine have :) after 1 year

Silverlox
April 26th, 2009, 03:35 PM
What EXACTLY are fairy Tale Ends? I thought fine, thin, scraggly ends WERE Fariy Tale ends???

Well, basically it's very tapered and thin ends. Not necessarily fine. And definitely not scraggly as that is a sign of damage.
Fairytails are not damage, merely the opposite of a blunt hemline which has been cut to a shape (straight, U or V line). :flower:

AnneAdeline
April 26th, 2009, 03:56 PM
As others have said, the easiest way is to just let your hair grow without trimming.
Since your ends are already thinner than the rest of your hair, it shouldn't take too long for them to develop.

Rosepatrice
April 26th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Well, basically it's very tapered and thin ends. Not necessarily fine. And definitely not scraggly as that is a sign of damage.
Fairytails are not damage, merely the opposite of a blunt hemline which has been cut to a shape (straight, U or V line). :flower:

Thank you
I was wondering if there is a pic because it's hard to visualize what you are saying? Please and thanks!!

Silverlox
April 26th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Thank you
I was wondering if there is a pic because it's hard to visualize what you are saying? Please and thanks!!

Here is a picture that clearly shows my fairytails, taken in December 2007, almost a year and a half ago. Since then, I've progressed to just beyond classic length, but still with the same type of fairytails. Basically the hair just tapers into nothingness. It's similar to what you thought, but without the hair actually being damaged. :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=609&pictureid=6333

zen_oven
April 26th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I agree with the others--just don't trim. It may take a while but they will show up. I've had layers for a while and was planning to get them chopped off (may still do that once I reach a length I'm happy with). A short time ago I was a bit bummed because my ends were "see-through," but recently they've started to curl and look like fairy-tales. I didn't think I'd like them, but I do and may keep them.

girlcat36
April 26th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Here is a picture that clearly shows my fairytails, taken in December 2007, almost a year and a half ago. Since then, I've progressed to just beyond classic length, but still with the same type of fairytails. Basically the hair just tapers into nothingness. It's similar to what you thought, but without the hair actually being damaged. :D

Where is the picture?? :(

Silverlox
April 26th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Where is the picture?? :(

Eh.. :confused: It's showing up big and clear on my screen.. I have no idea why you can't see it? :confused::confused:

ETA: I just remembered seeing somewhere in some post on some thread (yeah, my mind is that fuzzy!) that if the album the picture originates from is set to "private" the pictures won't show up in threads.
I've just made my album public. Hopefully that will resolve this.

I really don't know why I set it to private in the first place, it isn't like I'm showing my face or any other naked bodyparts.. :shrug:

And if that's not the reason, I'm back to having no idea.. :silly:

girlcat36
April 26th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks, silverlox! Now I can see it! Nice fairytales!

Silverlox
April 26th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Great! Problem solved. :thumbsup:

Gosh, I feel so internet savvy now.. :D

girlcat36
April 26th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I have fairytales. My hair grows very unevenly, I keep trimming the longest part in the middle, and it just keeps racing ahead! I don't get it.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/P1010817-2.jpg

I like my fairytales, but I think they would look better if my hair was longer.

Silverlox
April 26th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Girlcat, those spirals are to die for! Wow! :inlove:

girlcat36
April 26th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Awww, thanks, Silverlox!

hennaphile
April 26th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks guys! My hair is so thin at the bottom that it tends to tangle a bit more (hence trimming), BUT, if i can get fairytales, it'll be worth it :D:D

mira-chan
April 26th, 2009, 09:47 PM
My current signature shows my ends nicely. Those are the result of me not trimming for some years, natural V growth and a big shed. No damage there. I have very few splits, usually on previously cut hairs.

So just don't put the scissors to your hair and wait. :D

SimplyLonghair
April 26th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Eh.. :confused: It's showing up big and clear on my screen.. I have no idea why you can't see it? :confused::confused:

ETA: I just remembered seeing somewhere in some post on some thread (yeah, my mind is that fuzzy!) that if the album the picture originates from is set to "private" the pictures won't show up in threads.
I've just made my album public. Hopefully that will resolve this.

I really don't know why I set it to private in the first place, it isn't like I'm showing my face or any other naked bodyparts.. :shrug:

And if that's not the reason, I'm back to having no idea.. :silly:
I am glad that you set it to where we can all see it, Silverlox, your fairytale ends are lovely! :inlove:

My current signature shows my ends nicely. Those are the result of me not trimming for some years, natural V growth and a big shed. No damage there. I have very few splits, usually on previously cut hairs.

So just don't put the scissors to your hair and wait. :D
Mira-Chan, your fairytale ends are lovely too.
My signature pic shows my fairytale ends, they are not as long as they were, because my hair is thickening due to getting curlier and just getting some of my hair back from a shed. :cheese:

Silverlox
April 27th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Thank you, SimplyLonghair! :flower:

mira-chan, nobody has more gorgeous fairytails than you! You are the ultimate Poster Girl. :D
Since I couldn't very well post a picture of your hair, I was hoping you would show up here. :flowers:

Katze
April 27th, 2009, 03:09 AM
I have fairytales. My hair grows very unevenly, I keep trimming the longest part in the middle, and it just keeps racing ahead! I don't get it.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/P1010817-2.jpg

I like my fairytales, but I think they would look better if my hair was longer.

Mine grows very unevenly too. It seems like the longest parts taper severely, then about a foot above them, the rest starts to fill in. I have also been trimming but the longest bits just seem to grow faster than the sides/front. I think this is just its nature.

To the OP: you can have my fairytale ends, if you trade me a blunt hemline in return! :D

mira-chan
April 27th, 2009, 06:14 AM
It's great to see girlcat36's fairytailes. I love the perfect curl tendrils. :inlove:
My hair grows the same exact way, the center part races.

I am glad that you set it to where we can all see it, Silverlox, your fairytale ends are lovely! :inlove:

Mira-Chan, your fairytale ends are lovely too.
My signature pic shows my fairytale ends, they are not as long as they were, because my hair is thickening due to getting curlier and just getting some of my hair back from a shed. :cheese:
Thank you. :flowers: You have absolutely lovely failrytales too. I really like the color of your hair.

Thank you, SimplyLonghair! :flower:

mira-chan, nobody has more gorgeous fairytails than you! You are the ultimate Poster Girl. :D
Since I couldn't very well post a picture of your hair, I was hoping you would show up here. :flowers:
:o Thank you. I hope my hair looks like yours does when it turns fully silver. :flowers:

eresh
April 27th, 2009, 09:12 AM

Umm sorry but why is it that fairytale ends or thin ends are always (or often) combined with the word (judgement) "scraggly"...
Sounds a bit negative imho

Rosepatrice
April 27th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Umm sorry but why is it that fairytale ends or thin ends are always (or often) combined with the word (judgement) "scraggly"...
Sounds a bit negative imho

Yeh, that didn't come out right, sorry. I meant thin and whispy.....is that better?

I call my ends scraggly because they are so thin and see through, but maybe that is not the right word in the English Language for it so I'm confused.. Thank you for correcting me!

Rosepatrice
April 27th, 2009, 09:24 AM

I just now saw this pic! I don't see where your ends are thin and whispy though? They look thick and full in this pic...are fariy tale ends curly like a spiral curl would be thought of?

Thank you! :)

Morningglory
April 27th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I love Fairytale ends too! Mine always start to Fairytale even when I cut a blunt hemline within a few months. I cut blunt in January and I have fairytale ends again. My hair grows in a natural v and makes fairytales quicky because of uneven growth! Mine show up in my Siggy Picture you can see mine below my elbow barely!

I love them! I want mine like Mira-Chan's!:crush:

Xandergrammy
April 27th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Here are my fairy tale ends. I edited this post so that people who don't have access to the albums yet could see. :blossom:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/And%20Another%20Thousand/DSCN0006-6.jpg

akurah
April 27th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Depending on how thick your hair is, it may take awhile for your hair to fairytale. A very long while. My ends are approaching waist and haven't yet come CLOSE to fairytaling, which, to be honest, frustrates me, as it makes it harder to do certain styles when you've got the same circumference from scalp to tail.

I suspect if you get a V shaped trim on your hem, then just plain leave it alone, it'll give a little bit of help to developing a fairytale.

Rosepatrice
April 27th, 2009, 11:17 AM
You can see my fairy tale ends here.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1175&pictureid=37235

(I'm posting the link because I'm at work and can't access photobucket.)

OH!! How beautiful your hair is..I LOVE those fairy tale ends. I see what they are, now and they look very natural, tapered into a v shape is very fairy tale 'ish. Thanks for posting this.

They don't look scraggly AT ALL!!

eresh
April 27th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Yeh, that didn't come out right, sorry. I meant thin and whispy.....is that better?

I call my ends scraggly because they are so thin and see through, but maybe that is not the right word in the English Language for it so I'm confused.. Thank you for correcting me!

English isn't my first language but scraggly always sounds so negative to me, but maybe the word has a different meaning than what I make of it :)
I didn't see your other replies when I posted, just see them now, otherwise I could have made out that you meant it differently.

Xandergrammy's hair is fabulous, I'm a big fan :D

Xandergrammy
April 27th, 2009, 02:37 PM
OH!! How beautiful your hair is..I LOVE those fairy tale ends. I see what they are, now and they look very natural, tapered into a v shape is very fairy tale 'ish. Thanks for posting this.

They don't look scraggly AT ALL!!

Thank you very much! :flowers: My ends are the result of not trimming for 13 years.

Xandergrammy
April 27th, 2009, 02:41 PM
English isn't my first language but scraggly always sounds so negative to me, but maybe the word has a different meaning than what I make of it :)
I didn't see your other replies when I posted, just see them now, otherwise I could have made out that you meant it differently.

Xandergrammy's hair is fabulous, I'm a big fan :D

Well, eresh, I'm a big fan of YOUR hair, so that works out great, doesn't it? :gabigrin:

BTW, English IS my ONLY language and "scraggly" has only negative connotations to me.

Magdalene
April 27th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Yes, I think just leaving your hair alone. I'm constantly fighting the natural taper on my hair.

(I think fairytale looks alot better on wavy/curly hair than on my hair!)

hennaphile
April 27th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks guys! The only thing is that at the bottom my hair is super fine, so to me it just looks damaged as of late, but maybe if I wait some more and slap on some cassia again it'll look nicer :D

katiana
April 27th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Xandergrammy, your hair is just gorgeous! I loved looking at the others pics as well!

Rebelkat
April 27th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I agree with everyone who says not to trim, but I think that I should specify that what I mean is don't trim a hemline. I would still suggest S&D so that damage won't build up and create problems for you. As long as you aren't trying to maintain a shaped hemline, they will most likely form at some point.

Roseate
April 27th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Wow! Beautiful fairytales on this thread!

My hair is quite slow to fairytale, but I've never gone completely without trimming, so maybe I haven't given it a proper chance.

milemma
April 28th, 2009, 01:41 AM
oh interesting but I guess I just couldn't go without trimming so fairytale ends are not for me :(

hennaphile
April 28th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I agree with everyone who says not to trim, but I think that I should specify that what I mean is don't trim a hemline. I would still suggest S&D so that damage won't build up and create problems for you. As long as you aren't trying to maintain a shaped hemline, they will most likely form at some point.
PArdon my ignorance, but what does S&D mean? :D

mira-chan
April 28th, 2009, 10:57 AM
PArdon my ignorance, but what does S&D mean? :D
Search and Destroy. Looking for individual splits and cutting them off instead of trimming all the hair.

I S&D though not super often. More likely to in the summer when it's still light when I get home.

Melanie Marie
May 9th, 2011, 01:58 AM
I used to have fairytale ends before I trimmed two months ago (lost about two inches). :( Like everyone has already said, just don't trim, and within a year you'll probably have fairytale ends (it took me a year to get them).

savannahfaery
January 23rd, 2018, 01:37 PM
If I don't trim, my hair begins to fairytale after a couple of months(which is what I want)! Just recently I discovered the S&D method, but before that I had always been trimming it out of the urge to get rid of split ends! :rolleyes: S&D is said to speed up the fairytaleing process, and I attest to that. :blossom:

lapushka
January 23rd, 2018, 01:43 PM
I have "unnatural" fairytaling (and a tiny bit at that), due to my hair being layered (compact cut method, ponytail on the forehead).