PDA

View Full Version : 12 month update from buzzed

Stubborn
April 26th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Hey everyone. Back in late december of 08 I promised in my newbie thread that I'd post my 1 year update ...so here it is :)

My first thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17749

Last haircut:
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t293/alocubano1110/nearlybald.jpg

My One year update:

Wet hair
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t293/alocubano1110/2009_0425yeahhellaw0221.jpg

Damp hair
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t293/alocubano1110/2009_0425yeahhellaw0220.jpg

Damp hair back pic
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t293/alocubano1110/2009_0425yeahhellaw0219.jpg

Dry Hair
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t293/alocubano1110/2009_0425yeahhellaw0224.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t293/alocubano1110/2009_0425yeahhellaw0225.jpg

Trying to show length stretched
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t293/alocubano1110/2009_0425yeahhellaw0226.jpg

Back pic
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t293/alocubano1110/2009_0425yeahhellaw0227.jpg

I only finger comb. If anyone has any kind of advice for my hair type it would be greatly appreciated. I know I'm in the awkward stage of growing, so my hair is very out of control... I know you ladies and some men could give me some advice lol.

Also any idea what my hair type is? and if anyone could compare to a pic of someone with similiar hair type lol. It's hard to find in person...

Any kind of feedback and comments are welcome.:)

Lamb
April 26th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Wow, that's some great growth you have there! Congrats.
I'd say your hair type is a solid 3a. :)

Noctifer
April 26th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Nice growth I would geuss on some kind of type 3

GlennaGirl
April 26th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Soooooo cute! Those curls!! It really, really suits you. Nice growth!

eyesofsummer
April 26th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I'd say 3A. It looks good!
As for controlling it, I'd recommend looking into hair gels...try out a bunch to see what works the best for you. They definitely help with making curls more defined, I wouldn't be able to live without mine! :p

Stubborn
April 26th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Wow, that's some great growth you have there! Congrats.
I'd say your hair type is a solid 3a. :)
Thank you!

Nice growth I would geuss on some kind of type 3
Thanks! and I think so too :)

Soooooo cute! Those curls!! It really, really suits you. Nice growth!
:D Thank you. It's good to hear that after so many "cut your hair" comments, lol.

As for controlling it, I'd recommend looking into hair gels...try out a bunch to see what works the best for you. They definitely help with making curls more defined, I wouldn't be able to live without mine! :p

Thanks a lot. I'm going to look into it and try some out. ;)

chrissy-b
April 26th, 2009, 12:25 PM
:thud:

That is some amazing growth! I'd guess your type is 3a/b.

Stubborn
April 26th, 2009, 12:28 PM
:thud:

That is some amazing growth! I'd guess your type is 3a/b.
Thanks! It grew 6 1/2 - 7 inches in 12 months. I'm pretty happy about that :)

Peggy E.
April 26th, 2009, 12:31 PM
That's amazing growth for this year! And it looks great. Why don't you like the wild and free look you have now? It will be more difficult as it gets longer, but at this length it is really sharp on you.

My brother has hair much like yours, though his is thinner and silver now, and also longer. He wears it in a pony most of the time and often with a do-rag working, too. It's a very attractive style on a man, at least in MY opinion!

Eryka
April 26th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Many swear by Aloe Vera gel. Can't hurt to try.

Isilme
April 26th, 2009, 12:38 PM
If I may say so I think you look adorable, very cute!:D Unfortunately my hairtype is very different so I don't have any advice except, continue to be patient!:)

Madame J
April 26th, 2009, 12:40 PM
You hair kind of reminds me of an ex-boyfriend's hair back in college, except he had tighter curls and not so much shine. It looks like you're doing pretty well taking care of it, and I think the "wild and free" look works.

If you want it out of your face, my ex used to use barrettes or put it in pigtails before it was long enough for a ponytail, but then, he was a little weird.

Nyghtingale
April 26th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I think it looks great! Wonderful growth.

Stubborn
April 26th, 2009, 12:43 PM
That's amazing growth for this year! And it looks great. Why don't you like the wild and free look you have now? It will be more difficult as it gets longer, but at this length it is really sharp on you.

My brother has hair much like yours, though his is thinner and silver now, and also longer. He wears it in a pony most of the time and often with a do-rag working, too. It's a very attractive style on a man, at least in MY opinion!

I love the wild and free look, it's just that my parents and other family and friends say that i should have it neater haha. So, it gets into my head that my hair is too messy, Though i love it that way :)

I plan to grow my hair to midback and hope I get there.

Thank you very much!

Many swear by Aloe Vera gel. Can't hurt to try.
Thanks a lot. I'll have to give this one a try.

Firefly
April 26th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Love the curls! It's looking great. :thumbsup:

Stubborn
April 26th, 2009, 12:59 PM
You hair kind of reminds me of an ex-boyfriend's hair back in college, except he had tighter curls and not so much shine. It looks like you're doing pretty well taking care of it, and I think the "wild and free" look works.

If you want it out of your face, my ex used to use barrettes or put it in pigtails before it was long enough for a ponytail, but then, he was a little weird.

Lol. I've tried a half tail with just the front hairs. And it barely fits. In 4 months I'll be able to do it.

I think it looks great! Wonderful growth.
Thanks a lot. I hope it keeps growing at this rate :)

Love the curls! It's looking great. :thumbsup:
Thank you! Good to hear something positive then the usual "when are you going to cut your hair?" lol

If I may say so I think you look adorable, very cute!:D Unfortunately my hairtype is very different so I don't have any advice except, continue to be patient!:)
:o Haha. Thank you! ;) I'm going to be very patient for the next 2 years!

Samikha
April 26th, 2009, 01:06 PM
No advice, just here to tell you it looks awesome! I am quite envious :) It looks very healthy, and I never would have guessed you're just a year from a buzz cut.

Just_Isabel
April 26th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Your hair is so cute, it looks very good on you. :D
I'd say 3a. :agree:

As for advice, it depends on what you want to achieve... but experiment with leave ins of different kinds. They may make your hair curlier, not sure if curlier can be considered "neater". :lol: You'll probably have to wait until your hair is long enough for a ponytail or something to make it look well behaved.

Like the others, I like the natural and wild look you have. :)

Pixna
April 26th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Holy frijole!!! Your hair is AWESOME! And it grew so fast -- wow! You are super cute and long hair suits you SO much better than your buzz cut. I love your curls! I'd say you are a solid 3a or 3a/3b. I can't wait to see how it looks when it gets even longer. Congratulations!!!

smilinjenn71
April 26th, 2009, 01:57 PM
:applauseNice growth! I'm completely jealous of your curls! :wigtongue

Stubborn
April 26th, 2009, 01:58 PM
No advice, just here to tell you it looks awesome! I am quite envious :) It looks very healthy, and I never would have guessed you're just a year from a buzz cut.
Thank you! You shouldn't be envious, though. You have very beautiful hair. I wish mine were your length/type/as healthy. haha :). I'm glad my growth was good also.:]

Everybody here has great hair.

Your hair is so cute, it looks very good on you. :D
I'd say 3a. :agree:

As for advice, it depends on what you want to achieve... but experiment with leave ins of different kinds. They may make your hair curlier, not sure if curlier can be considered "neater". :lol: You'll probably have to wait until your hair is long enough for a ponytail or something to make it look well behaved.

Like the others, I like the natural and wild look you have. :)

Thank you, I like the look myself.

I agree with 3a :D. I can't wait for my first full pony tail :).

Holy frijole!!! Your hair is AWESOME! And it grew so fast -- wow! You are super cute and long hair suits you SO much better than your buzz cut. I love your curls! I'd say you are a solid 3a or 3a/3b. I can't wait to see how it looks when it gets even longer. Congratulations!!!
THANKS! I usually get that I look better with a buzz so thanks for saying that :). I love my curls too. And I will definately let my hair grow and probably maintain it at midback;).

Shandra
April 26th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Your hair looks GREAT! It's that fabulous curly mop-top look that's really cute. If you want more defined curls, I also highly recommend aloe vera gel. It will add definition without alcohol, and it's really light.

Keep the updates coming, hun!

Elenna
April 26th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Awesome curls on you. It makes all the difference between a buzz cut and curls.

Morningglory
April 26th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Your hair looks great like that! What is the look you want? If you want it to lay down more as it grows and be more one length after it gets past your shoulders maintain by trimming only the length every few months until the layers are gone. Then it will lay down better and grow down your back with less curl. However, if you like the curl and layers, which I personally think look nice on you then just leave it alone and let it grow without trimming. This will help it from getting too thick. So, just decide what look you want to go with and how long. The look you have now looks good. Either way will be nice.:)

viking_quest
April 26th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Your curls look amazing. They really suit you. I'd say you're a 3a.

Michele
April 26th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Wow those curls are awesome! They look so soft and healthy, i wish my hair was like yours :). I wouldn't want to change a thing

I'd say 3a too!

manderly
April 26th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Look at you with all those pretty curls! Very nice :)

PurpleAshes
April 26th, 2009, 04:55 PM
It looks very nice on you! I don't think it's ackward at ALL.

tina1025
April 26th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Great growth and gorgeous curly hair.

DavidN
April 26th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Thank you, Stubborn, for sharing your progress photos with us. You have come a long way in only one year, and your curls are healthy, and filled with shine. Best of luck to you as you continue your journey to even longer hair!

Furiana
April 26th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Once your hair gets long enough, promise you'll do a messy bun! Please? It's a great look on guys with curls, but so few grow out their hair! :sad

FWIW, have you seen the visual hair typing guide (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/PhotoAlbum23.html)? Or NaturallyCurly.com (http://www.naturallycurly.com/)? NC's forums (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/), especially, for tips about handling curly hair. Both might give you feel for what other people's curls look like!

Stubborn
April 26th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Your hair looks GREAT! It's that fabulous curly mop-top look that's really cute. If you want more defined curls, I also highly recommend aloe vera gel. It will add definition without alcohol, and it's really light.

Keep the updates coming, hun!

Thank you! I will update at 16 months :) so.... August 26th :D

Awesome curls on you. It makes all the difference between a buzz cut and curls.
Thank you I think so myself. I love curly hair.

Your hair looks great like that! What is the look you want? If you want it to lay down more as it grows and be more one length after it gets past your shoulders maintain by trimming only the length every few months until the layers are gone. Then it will lay down better and grow down your back with less curl. However, if you like the curl and layers, which I personally think look nice on you then just leave it alone and let it grow without trimming. This will help it from getting too thick. So, just decide what look you want to go with and how long. The look you have now looks good. Either way will be nice.:)
I'm way too scared to cut anything right now. I won't even dust or trim until 26 months of growth :p.

Thanks.

Your curls look amazing. They really suit you. I'd say you're a 3a.
Thank you!

Wow those curls are awesome! They look so soft and healthy, i wish my hair was like yours :). I wouldn't want to change a thing

I'd say 3a too!
Thank you! and

I wish my hair was as long as yours! or most here actually. Ah well, patience.:D

Look at you with all those pretty curls! Very nice :)
Thank you!

It looks very nice on you! I don't think it's ackward at ALL.
Thanks! I can't help but feel that way. My hair is very hard to control....

Great growth and gorgeous curly hair.
Thanks a lot.

Thank you, Stubborn, for sharing your progress photos with us. You have come a long way in only one year, and your curls are healthy, and filled with shine. Best of luck to you as you continue your journey to even longer hair!
Thanks a lot DavidN. I had tried to post this over at mlhh but it gave me something about a post limit, lol. I will keep trying though :)

Once your hair gets long enough, promise you'll do a messy bun! Please? It's a great look on guys with curls, but so few grow out their hair! :sad

FWIW, have you seen the visual hair typing guide (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/PhotoAlbum23.html)? Or NaturallyCurly.com (http://www.naturallycurly.com/)? NC's forums (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/), especially, for tips about handling curly hair. Both might give you feel for what other people's curls look like!

I promise! I plan to grow hair midback all around. Will this be long enough?

And thank you for the info. I'm looking at it now. :]

longhairedfairy
April 26th, 2009, 07:24 PM
:thud: Very nice!

Stubborn
April 26th, 2009, 08:12 PM
:thud: Very nice!
Thank you :D

Starr
April 26th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Gorgeous curls!

AnneAdeline
April 26th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Wow. Your curls are so amazing and they look great at this length!
Me------> :thud:

brok3nwings
April 26th, 2009, 08:39 PM
i think you have such a beautiful hair!!! i love your curls and i love the fact that they are not completly "controled"... i woudnt put any hair gel or anything besides conditioning really well (as it seams to be) but this is my personal opinion because i dont really appreciatte men that put styling products into their hair :P

Stubborn
April 26th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Gorgeous curls!
Thanks! Yours are gorgeous as well.

Wow. Your curls are so amazing and they look great at this length!
Me------> :thud:
Hahaha. Thank you. I hope my hair will have the same effect the longer it grows. Your hair is amazing!

i think you have such a beautiful hair!!! i love your curls and i love the fact that they are not completly "controled"... i woudnt put any hair gel or anything besides conditioning really well (as it seams to be) but this is my personal opinion because i dont really appreciatte men that put styling products into their hair :P

Thanks. I know what you mean by not completely controlled. I have been conditioning very well and will always use it :D.
I also will probably TRY a hair gel or two but I don't think I could wear it all the time....

Your hair looks really good too...

spidermom
April 26th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Terrific growth in one year from buzzed. I agree with 3A as your hair type. It's fabulous!

Aloe vera gel works as well for enhancing my waves/curls as anything else, so I'd advise that you try that first.

Stubborn
April 26th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Terrific growth in one year from buzzed. I agree with 3A as your hair type. It's fabulous!

Aloe vera gel works as well for enhancing my waves/curls as anything else, so I'd advise that you try that first.
Thanks a lot! I will definately try it.

Oh, and your hair is really beautiful. I like the length/color/everything haha. Thanks again

susiemw
April 26th, 2009, 09:36 PM
You have beautiful hair! I love your curls.
congratulations on your first year anniversary!

Susan

Seraphina
April 26th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Wow,that's incredible.The curls suit you so much,they look great.Well done ! :)

AnnaMarie
April 26th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Wow thats some shine you got going on there! Your curls look amazing :thumbsup:

Aditi
April 27th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Remarkable progress congrats.

Flynn
April 27th, 2009, 12:45 AM
No suggestions, but I have to say the longer hair and the beard suit you really well!

Furiana
April 27th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I promise! I plan to grow hair midback all around. Will this be long enough?

And thank you for the info. I'm looking at it now. :]

I think so! Darkwaves once posted about messy styles for her curly hair. It was about midback on her at the time, so midback ought to be enough for you.

Hope the info helps! :D

Bene
April 27th, 2009, 01:42 AM
oh wow, that looks like my hair did at that length (when i didn't do anything to it). moisturize, light oiling when damp, and keep your hands out of it as much as possible :)

nice growth, by the way

Johanna
April 27th, 2009, 03:44 AM
I have the temptation to lightly tug on one of your curls and make it go 'boing'. But that would't be very sociably acceptable so I'll just say that your curls look extremely healthy. Probably more healthy than a females hair would be at your length because a majority of females would be straightening it every now and then.

Chrissy
April 27th, 2009, 04:00 AM
First I'm very jealous of your fast growth!! Also whatever family members are saying you look better buzzed are BLIND!! Your hair looks so much better longer. Keep growing!! It looks great and yes patience my friend. I'm growing again after cutting so I must be patient also. Welcome and thanks so much for the progress pics.

paper
April 27th, 2009, 06:29 AM
You and your hair are adorable. It really suits you!

Gutterfayrie
April 27th, 2009, 07:25 AM
wow!!!! Great growth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and I love the curls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DarkChocolate
April 27th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Nice curls and impressive growth:)

jessie58
April 27th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Whoa, I just saw your update! Your hair is gorgeous. Major curl envy here and that is fantastic growth.

LadyLongLocks
April 27th, 2009, 08:04 AM
WOW! Great progress!! You have some really nice hair. The length really suits you well!
Thanks for sharing:D

melrose1985
April 27th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I just wanted to say your hair looks great! I love the wild curly hair. That's a lot of growth for one year!

Fencai
April 27th, 2009, 08:27 AM
That's awesome!!!!! And not to mention, exactly what my DH is going through! He started at Buzz, and is growing it out, and has curls just like yours!!
Great growing!!!

lora410
April 27th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Wow! You look great with longer hair!!! I simply love the curls :D

JamieLeigh
April 27th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Wow! It looks amazing! LOVE those curls!!! :D

KajiKodomo
April 27th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Congrats on the progress! :D

myotislucifugus
April 27th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Love it! You have beautiful shiny curls... and I have to admit I LOVE it when guys grow out there hair, and take care of it. My boyfriend has long hair, and seeing this pic makes me miss him. Long distance... so sad.
Good job caring for it!

LutraLutra
April 27th, 2009, 12:35 PM
That's amazing growth for one year, wow! Nice going. :)

Áine
April 27th, 2009, 12:43 PM
You look like a classic 3A type to me.

Your hair looks great, I must say. After you wash your hair, when its still damp, try running a dash of olive or coconut oil on your palms through your hair. It may help to keep the curls together when it fully dries. You are at the stage now where you could tuck it behind your ears or do a half-up/half-down ponytail.

Dientje
April 27th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Oh! I haven't read all the replies, just had to compliment you on your gorgueous locks! Really nice growing, and I love the curls! It really suits you...

wishfulgoddess
April 27th, 2009, 12:52 PM
You are gorgeous and I love your curls.

Helen Baq
April 27th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Your hair looks great! It really brings out your features and compliments you. Congrats on so much growth in a year. :)

Amoretti
April 27th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Fabulous hair and progress!

Stubborn
April 27th, 2009, 04:06 PM
You have beautiful hair! I love your curls.
congratulations on your first year anniversary!

Susan
Thank you very much!

Wow,that's incredible.The curls suit you so much,they look great.Well done ! :)
Thank you. I'm glad they look good. I had my doubts and it's good to hear compliments :]

Wow thats some shine you got going on there! Your curls look amazing :thumbsup:
Thanks! I take care of my hair like it's my only cchild, haha!

Remarkable progress congrats.
Thank you!

No suggestions, but I have to say the longer hair and the beard suit you really well!
I'm glad to hear this. Thanks a lot.

I think so! Darkwaves once posted about messy styles for her curly hair. It was about midback on her at the time, so midback ought to be enough for you.

Hope the info helps! :D
Midback messy bun it will be, lol. Thanks for the info.

oh wow, that looks like my hair did at that length (when i didn't do anything to it). moisturize, light oiling when damp, and keep your hands out of it as much as possible

nice growth, by the way
Thanks a lot! Will do. :]

I have the temptation to lightly tug on one of your curls and make it go 'boing'. But that would't be very sociably acceptable so I'll just say that your curls look extremely healthy. Probably more healthy than a females hair would be at your length because a majority of females would be straightening it every now and then.
I have never straightened and never will. Don't want to damage my hair. :] And, sure you can tug on it GENTLY haha!. Thank you.

First I'm very jealous of your fast growth!! Also whatever family members are saying you look better buzzed are BLIND!! Your hair looks so much better longer. Keep growing!! It looks great and yes patience my friend. I'm growing again after cutting so I must be patient also. Welcome and thanks so much for the progress pics.
I thought I was average growth but I guess not haha. It's good to hear that :]. And yes, I hate hearing about how I look better with short hair. But, I prefer it long and it's only going to get longer from now on ;]. Thank you!

You and your hair are adorable. It really suits you!
Thank you!

wow!!!! Great growth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and I love the curls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, and Thanks a lot!

Nice curls and impressive growth:)
Thank you. I hope it continues that way.

Whoa, I just saw your update! Your hair is gorgeous. Major curl envy here and that is fantastic growth.
Thanks a lot. And your hair is very nice and curly itself, I'm the envious one lol!

WOW! Great progress!! You have some really nice hair. The length really suits you well!
Thanks for sharing:D
Thank you! I'm hoping it suits me at midback also!

I just wanted to say your hair looks great! I love the wild curly hair. That's a lot of growth for one year!
Thanks a lot.

That's awesome!!!!! And not to mention, exactly what my DH is going through! He started at Buzz, and is growing it out, and has curls just like yours!!
Great growing!!!
THank you! and good luck to him.

Wow! You look great with longer hair!!! I simply love the curls :D
Thanks!

Wow! It looks amazing! LOVE those curls!!! :D
Thank you!

Congrats on the progress! :D
Thanks.

Love it! You have beautiful shiny curls... and I have to admit I LOVE it when guys grow out there hair, and take care of it. My boyfriend has long hair, and seeing this pic makes me miss him. Long distance... so sad.
Good job caring for it!
I'm sorry to make you miss him, lol! But, thank you and I hope you see him soon ;]

That's amazing growth for one year, wow! Nice going. :)
Thank you! I'm happy it grew as is :]

You look like a classic 3A type to me.

Your hair looks great, I must say. After you wash your hair, when its still damp, try running a dash of olive or coconut oil on your palms through your hair. It may help to keep the curls together when it fully dries. You are at the stage now where you could tuck it behind your ears or do a half-up/half-down ponytail.
Thanks! I will try this in a couple of days.

Oh! I haven't read all the replies, just had to compliment you on your gorgueous locks! Really nice growing, and I love the curls! It really suits you...
Thank you!

You are gorgeous and I love your curls.
Thank you very much ;]

Your hair looks great! It really brings out your features and compliments you. Congrats on so much growth in a year. :)
I love hearing this haha. I don't hear this in person much. Thank you very much.

Fabulous hair and progress!
Thanks!

AND thanks everyone for the encouragement! I'm hoping the journey to midback will go by fast!

Islandgrrl
April 27th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Stubborn, you have some awesome curls going on there! Nice & shiny, too. Looks just awesome! Congrats on your 1 year of growth!

Jessikinz
April 27th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I didn't read the whole thread, but most likely someone has done the hair type thing; so I won't even go there haha.

All I have to say is WOW, you got a good head of hair going on! Loving the curls and the natural state of your hair. Keep growing and it looks like whatever you're doing is working. Awesome hair.

Guenever
April 27th, 2009, 05:57 PM
If I may say so I think you look very cute!:D

what she said! :D and major curl-envy, btw!
but seriously. Great job growing out. It really suits you - esp. with the beard!
has a "Lord of the Rings"-feel to it. Not to say that you look like Gimli or anything, haha, don't worry.. but it has a "wild" quality that I really like, and if you're into reenactment, role playing etc. those curls would be great..

Stubborn
April 27th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Stubborn, you have some awesome curls going on there! Nice & shiny, too. Looks just awesome! Congrats on your 1 year of growth!
Thank you very much!

I didn't read the whole thread, but most likely someone has done the hair type thing; so I won't even go there haha.

All I have to say is WOW, you got a good head of hair going on! Loving the curls and the natural state of your hair. Keep growing and it looks like whatever you're doing is working. Awesome hair.
Thank you very much. I'll keep growing and taking care of my hair.

what she said! :D and major curl-envy, btw!
but seriously. Great job growing out. It really suits you - esp. with the beard!
has a "Lord of the Rings"-feel to it. Not to say that you look like Gimli or anything, haha, don't worry.. but it has a "wild" quality that I really like, and if you're into reenactment, role playing etc. those curls would be great..

:o Thanks! Haha. I'd willing to try. Of course if I'm ever in Denmark/NZ, lol!

Tressie
April 27th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Your have made great progress and your hair looks great!! The condition, and the curls are very attractive! Congratulations!! (o:

maskedrose
April 27th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Oh wow, add me to the :thudpile:

If you don't mind me saying, you're an attractive guy even with a buzz cut, but I think you look particularly gorgeous with the long curls. Keep it up!! :)

milemma
April 28th, 2009, 02:03 AM
congrats, your hair looks great !

Debra83
April 28th, 2009, 02:18 AM
wow! That is a LOT of growth! It suits you too. Great growing!

Fethenwen
April 28th, 2009, 02:31 AM
That is a very nice hairstyle, it enhances you features so well :)
If you want to style it, I would recommend some grunge messy style with hair gel or hair clay, maybe that followed up with a tiny "pirate style" ponytail. But don't go there if you want to have it longer and keep it really healthy looking, styling products may cause too much damage in that case.

SimplyLonghair
April 28th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Stubborn, it is very nice to see a young man with the strength of self to go against the flow and be himself! Your curls are wonderful! Very defined and soft looking.

I really like the wild curl look.

As you grow you might look into using of hair combs to keep it out of your eyes. Not the kind of comb that you style with but the ones that some call slides. I used them to grow out bangs.

They come in hair colors so they don't look out of place as it were on a man. I saw some on a gentleman from India in an old movie and I loved it. He uses a large single comb and I used two smaller combs when I needed them.

The only reason that I mentioned this, wasn't that I don't like the look, but I remember being driven to distraction by my bangs as they grew out, and I really needed some extra control, more than gel would give me. :silly:

But seriously great hair! :rockerdud

Tap Dancer
April 28th, 2009, 05:27 AM
I think you look a lot better with your longer curly hair (not that you looked bad before...far from it)! Congrats! :grin:

AutumnLeaves
April 28th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Ok, I didn't read all your responses, but my gosh, your hair type looks like mine...Let's see...I think I have myself as a 3a/3b?

mellie
April 28th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Wow, that looks great!!! Congratulations!!

NebraskaChick84
April 28th, 2009, 10:53 AM
wow your growth is really impressive!

and I just have to say that I really wish my husband had your hair!!

SchnauzerMom
April 28th, 2009, 11:38 AM
WOW your hair is growing like crazy! Looks great too, I love curly hair.

Ndnlady
April 28th, 2009, 11:45 AM
It seems you have already gotten good advice regarding hair type and frizz control so I'm just going to say you have wonderful curls!
My high school boyfriend had long hair to about mid back with your same hair type and curliness and it looked really good!
You have made good progress for a year!:)

shell78
April 28th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I have a younger brother with a similar curl pattern to yours (he's a redhead) and he's finally to the length where he can start wearing his hair pulled back in a ponytail.

What worked really well for him when he was at your length was a Buff (http://www.buffwear.com/pages/technical/ways-to-wear.php). It's a stretchy piece of material that you can wear in several different ways. They have a few videos (http://www.buffwear.com/pages/technical/ways-to-wear.php) that show how to wear them. He got one in solid plain black, and it really worked out well for him.

In the winter he switched to knitted beanies and now he's graduated to the ponytail. I recently received some Blax (http://www.beautysak.com/Blax-Snag-Free-Elastics-s/34.htm) bands (well reviewed here at LHC) and he snagged one from me, amazed at how it didn't snag in his hair and came in clear, so it didn't look like a feminine ponytail holder. Something to think about as you grow into your accessories.

I'm not sure what products you're using but your curls look good so I'm not suggesting a change. My brother is a one-product guy and he uses Devacurl No-Poo (http://www.curlmart.com/store/product.php?productid=53&cat=0&page=1). It's a sulfate-free conditioning cleanser, designed specifically for curls. My brother has been using it for nearly 3 years now and won't use anything else. If you live in a metro area, you can probably find it at a scary salon store like Ulta, or you can order it online. Again, if you like your current routine, I'm not suggesting you change from what's working for you!

Your curls look great and I hope you continue to enjoy them!

Nocturnal
April 28th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Wow, that's from a buzz cut!?! You'd want to check a "Wurly Curly" thread.

Stubborn
April 28th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Your have made great progress and your hair looks great!! The condition, and the curls are very attractive! Congratulations!! (o:
Thank you very much!

Oh wow, add me to the :thudpile:

If you don't mind me saying, you're an attractive guy even with a buzz cut, but I think you look particularly gorgeous with the long curls. Keep it up!! :)

congrats, your hair looks great !
Thank you!

wow! That is a LOT of growth! It suits you too. Great growing!
Thanks!

That is a very nice hairstyle, it enhances you features so well :)
If you want to style it, I would recommend some grunge messy style with hair gel or hair clay, maybe that followed up with a tiny "pirate style" ponytail. But don't go there if you want to have it longer and keep it really healthy looking, styling products may cause too much damage in that case.
Thank you. I plan to grow it so I will be patient and try not to damage it. Thanks for the advice though :]

Stubborn, it is very nice to see a young man with the strength of self to go against the flow and be himself! Your curls are wonderful! Very defined and soft looking.

I really like the wild curl look.

As you grow you might look into using of hair combs to keep it out of your eyes. Not the kind of comb that you style with but the ones that some call slides. I used them to grow out bangs.

They come in hair colors so they don't look out of place as it were on a man. I saw some on a gentleman from India in an old movie and I loved it. He uses a large single comb and I used two smaller combs when I needed them.

The only reason that I mentioned this, wasn't that I don't like the look, but I remember being driven to distraction by my bangs as they grew out, and I really needed some extra control, more than gel would give me. :silly:

But seriously great hair! :rockerdud
I think I may buy a couple and try them out :]. Thanks for the compliments and tips!

I think you look a lot better with your longer curly hair (not that you looked bad before...far from it)! Congrats! :grin:
Thank! I was hoping so haha.

Ok, I didn't read all your responses, but my gosh, your hair type looks like mine...Let's see...I think I have myself as a 3a/3b?
I agree!

Wow, that looks great!!! Congratulations!!
Thank you!

wow your growth is really impressive!

and I just have to say that I really wish my husband had your hair!!
Hahaha. Thank you and just ask him to grow his hair ;]

WOW your hair is growing like crazy! Looks great too, I love curly hair.
Thank you! I'm happy it's growing fast :]

It seems you have already gotten good advice regarding hair type and frizz control so I'm just going to say you have wonderful curls!
My high school boyfriend had long hair to about mid back with your same hair type and curliness and it looked really good!
You have made good progress for a year!:)
Thank you very much.

I have a younger brother with a similar curl pattern to yours (he's a redhead) and he's finally to the length where he can start wearing his hair pulled back in a ponytail.

What worked really well for him when he was at your length was a Buff (http://www.buffwear.com/pages/technical/ways-to-wear.php). It's a stretchy piece of material that you can wear in several different ways. They have a few videos (http://www.buffwear.com/pages/technical/ways-to-wear.php) that show how to wear them. He got one in solid plain black, and it really worked out well for him.

In the winter he switched to knitted beanies and now he's graduated to the ponytail. I recently received some Blax (http://www.beautysak.com/Blax-Snag-Free-Elastics-s/34.htm) bands (well reviewed here at LHC) and he snagged one from me, amazed at how it didn't snag in his hair and came in clear, so it didn't look like a feminine ponytail holder. Something to think about as you grow into your accessories.

I'm not sure what products you're using but your curls look good so I'm not suggesting a change. My brother is a one-product guy and he uses Devacurl No-Poo (http://www.curlmart.com/store/product.php?productid=53&cat=0&page=1). It's a sulfate-free conditioning cleanser, designed specifically for curls. My brother has been using it for nearly 3 years now and won't use anything else. If you live in a metro area, you can probably find it at a scary salon store like Ulta, or you can order it online. Again, if you like your current routine, I'm not suggesting you change from what's working for you!

Your curls look great and I hope you continue to enjoy them!

Wow, lots of information. Thank you very much. I'm always open to new things so I will try the Devacurl No-Poo. I've also heard of a buff. I really need SOMETHING to keep my hair under control at work! Thanks for the info!

Wow, that's from a buzz cut!?! You'd want to check a "Wurly Curly" thread.
Yes. A buzz cut and then I took these pics exactly 1 year later haha. And I'll check it out :]

Dachsdragon
May 30th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Your hair looks amazing! It really suits you longer. Congratulations.

redneckprincess
May 30th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I wasnt here a year ago but I started growing my natural color out from a bleached pixie just over a year ago, and I think you have twice as much growth in one year as me,(at least it looks that way I got about 5-6" {of new growth} depending on where or how you count) I like the curls on you I hope they behave for you as they grow. Send over some growth vibes, lol

feralnature
May 30th, 2009, 05:49 PM
You have beautiful hair, love the curls, but you looked pretty good with no hair at all. I love long hair though, on anybody.

Garnet66
May 30th, 2009, 06:22 PM
You have some gorgeous (not a manly word I know) curly hair. Your hair must grow really fast. Great growing.

Teazel
May 30th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I'm totally thudding over here. Gorgeous, luxuriant curls on a gorgeous man - what's not to like? :D Congratulations! :rockerdud

Themyst
May 30th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Wow, stubborn, your hair is absolutely gorgeous. If the world starts giving you grief for it, make sure you just coming running to this board for all the support you need!

I agree with the others who mentioned throwing it all back in a ponytail for some control when you want it. Otherwise, it's a pleasure to look at while its down.:)

mugglemomof3
June 1st, 2009, 04:14 PM
I just can't get over the similarities between your photos and the texture, curl pattern of my son (DS17). He grew out about 7 months from a buzz and I was just loving his curls and then his dad made him cut it. So I'm hoping he'll do like you have and grow out once he's out of the house.

Your curls are spectacular! Thanks for sharing with us. :waving:

theshadowpuppet
June 1st, 2009, 04:18 PM
You and your hair look amazing.

Fractalsofhair
June 1st, 2009, 05:41 PM
Gorgeous hair! If anything, your hair has helped me figure out that my boyfriend is Not a 3A, his hair is a little too curly to be that. I'm guessing he's going to turn out to be a 3b or 3c, not sure. Your hair grows pretty quickly and looks great! I think a lot of people aren't a fan of long hair on guys, hence the statements that you looked better with a buzz. I'm not a fan of buzz cuts at all, so perhaps that's my bias, but I think the long hair looks better on you. Longer hair shows you spend a bit of time on your appearance, which is always a good thing(Unless it looks gross and is stringy and just plain damaged or something looking, which can easily be found in short haired guys!), and your hair looks shiny and healthy, not greasy or damaged!

GoddesJourney
June 1st, 2009, 07:03 PM
:agape:God, you're cute. :thud: I should stop looking at your posts! Ha ha. No more looking at anything that says Stubborn because there might be pictures hahaha.

Seriously though, you look great either way. With the buzz cut you look very similar to one of the only exboyfriends I actually still like. With longer hair, you also rate several points. I guess you just have one of those faces that looks fine and nice hair to wear however you want. You should celebrate!:hooched:

Moving right along, I would look into a nongreasy hair gel or even a light hair cream that will define your curls without damaging your hair (meaning that some have alcohol and other harsh things so read the back of the container). A little goes a long way, so put just enough to "tame" it without the greasy look.

You've got a little tail in the back there that you might want to even out. I've noticed some people's hair just seems to grow faster at the nape. But it looks fine either way. That's a damn fine mane you've got going there... although it appears I have to get in line to say that!:thudpile:

InTheCity
June 1st, 2009, 07:25 PM
I thought you looked good with a buzz... but when I scrolled down, Wow!

Your hair looks amazing on you. Keep it up!

psvzum
June 1st, 2009, 07:28 PM
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!!!

nowxisxforever
June 1st, 2009, 08:06 PM

I wouldn't use a standard hair gel... perhaps try some natural aloe gel and see how that works out? You could also use some coconut oil on it too to shine it up a bit, or perhaps a mixture of the two. Not a whole bunch, but it might help!

yogachic
June 10th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Nice hair growth!

jojo
June 10th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Oh I do love your hair, the curl you got is fantastic and your progress is excellent; I look forward to seeing further updates.

Well done and keep it up!

ammorgan
June 10th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Wow, I love the curls! It looks really good!

Nes
June 10th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Aww with your curly hair you look just as cute as a button!

It suits you so much better than the buzz cut.

Keep on growing guy!

Nes x

MuzicalH3rb
June 13th, 2009, 12:13 AM
It looks great! Keep growing it!

Natalia
June 13th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Wow you look G-R-E-A-T!

NiAosSi
June 13th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Those are some great curls! Keep up he growing!

Quixii
June 13th, 2009, 02:00 AM
A couple inches more (like 2-3) and you will have my #1 favourite guy's hairstyle. :gabigrin: Very nice. Love the progress. <3