PDA

View Full Version : Help for BSL friend

Tigerdawn
April 26th, 2009, 11:49 AM
So my friend has 1b/M/iii bsl hair. She wants to grow it to waist but each time she tries she gets sick of it in the summer and cuts it back off. She's only able to do a ponytail and a half up right now so I'd like to help her with some other easy updos for work and stuff (she's a vet). Since my hair hasn't been BSL in about 10 years I need a refresher! What styles are good for thick, heavy BSL hair? TIA

WelshLocks
April 26th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Well I assume she's around your age(26?)so I think it'd be alright to wear french braided pigtails.
I'm sitting at BSL now, and my hair is pretty heavy and thick.Try maybe:
one braid,braided bun,Gibson tuck, the Nautilus Bun, or maybe a figure 8 bun.

I have issues with most of those because I have too many crazy layers. :)

Madame J
April 26th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I'm similar to that in texture, and when I had BSL hair, I could put it up with two chopsticks. They were real chopsticks, quite long, and had pointy ends so they didn't get caught in the thick hair. Wish I had pictures, but I just coiled it into whatever bun I could make, and fixed it with one chopstick, then used the second for extra hold. I could also French braid and roll the tail up under the rest of my hair and pin it (have to make the last bit before the tail a bit loose).

florenonite
April 26th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Cinnabun. I've got thick, BSL hair and that's my go-to style, I wear it almost daily.

eshta
April 26th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Lazy wrap bun! I have about the same hair type and also need a secure (and comfy) style that lasts trough the day. And this works great, you only need one hair stick, no twisting, not complicated to do, very secure and comfy.

JamieLeigh
April 27th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Send her here to LHC!!!! :D This place is awesome for advice and encouragement.

You could also get her a set of hair sticks, and show her some of the great updos that are available for her length. There are articles on things like that on this site too. Sometimes when you've got a great updo style you like, you tend to put it up and forget about it - then when you get ready to start wearing it down again, you find it's grown longer! :)

SimplyLonghair
April 29th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I second the send her here! I have a problem being talked through styles, but the articles and tutorials here have really helped me out!:D
I am hair style challenged:o

Fifty-Five
April 30th, 2009, 02:11 AM
What's her hairtoy selection like? =o I can't speak from experience, but I imagine if she doesn't have many, it may be limiting her. Maybe even trying as simple as a ...whatever those big clips are called? ... >.>;; I forget. D= I'm trying, though ;_;

LadyEliza
April 30th, 2009, 02:19 AM
I use one hair stick and put mine into a french roll. It can either be neat (if I comb it and tuck the tail under) or messy (most of the time!)

http://www.elvenhair.com/hairstyles.html

I can do this until it gets to about waist, then it gets more complicated.

Tigerdawn
May 1st, 2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks everyone! I am going to let her use my ficcare. I think that's what you're referring to, 55. I'm worried that her hair is too slippery for sticks but we can try them. I'm not sure if she can even braid. But I'll try and teach her a french braid. I'll go look in the articles section too. Thanks again!

GlennaGirl
May 1st, 2009, 06:42 PM
Lazy wrap bun! I have about the same hair type and also need a secure (and comfy) style that lasts trough the day. And this works great, you only need one hair stick, no twisting, not complicated to do, very secure and comfy.

I love this style too; I'm a Lazy Bun Convert. It's such a nice look.

a12345
May 1st, 2009, 06:44 PM
Maybe a french twist?

GlennaGirl
May 1st, 2009, 07:20 PM
Maybe a french twist?

Actually, that might be tough for someone with thick, BSL hair--I can barely do a French twist at my length.

I'm not sure about that; maybe someone has tricks to "get it all in there". But I know there are a few people on here who have posted in the past that they can't do French twists any more because their hair is too long/thick, and the hair wasn't exceptionally long at the time.