PDA

View Full Version : Summer hair, oh boy here it comes.

Shanarana
April 26th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Yesterday was so hot, and another hot one today. I hate dealing with my hair in the Summer time. Anyone else feel the same?

neon-dream
April 26th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Yes! Especially when I'm on holiday hah
But now that I know some fancy new do's I'm pretty excited for the hot weather here, if we actually get any :rolleyes:

Carolyn
April 26th, 2009, 06:32 AM
I just plan on lots of buns. I love wet buns because I'm so lazy and they keep my head cooler.

ravenreed
April 26th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I live in the desert and usually wear a sun hat for shade during the summer. I am a little concerned how to cope with the hat with updo's...

xoLegallyAubrey
April 26th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Ugh, hair is such a bother. And where I live, it's ridiculously hot ant humid, so my hair will not escape a bun.
But, I do have a question, actually. Around this time of year, I go swimming once a week. So I'm at the beach and the wind's whipping my hair around (which I know is bad) and then I go to the pool, and get all chlorinated and sticky. I know it should be in a bun, but I loathe the feeling of a chlorine-y, sticky bun. Are there any other styles that can help protect my hair?
And also, is there any type of leave-in I should be putting in to protect my hair?
Thanks so much!

xoLegallyAubrey
April 26th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Ugh, hair is such a bother. And where I live, it's ridiculously hot ant humid, so my hair will not escape a bun.
But, I do have a question, actually. Around this time of year, I go swimming once a week. So I'm at the beach and the wind's whipping my hair around (which I know is bad) and then I go to the pool, and get all chlorinated and sticky. I know it should be in a bun, but I loathe the feeling of a chlorine-y, sticky bun. Are there any other styles that can help protect my hair?
And also, is there any type of leave-in I should be putting in to protect my hair?
Thanks so much!
EDIT: Hair is such a bother IN THE SUMMER.

Themyst
April 26th, 2009, 07:02 AM
My hair actually does better in the summer. The humidity thickens it and weighs it down so it is more manageable.

paper
April 26th, 2009, 07:10 AM
My hair is not that long, but I'm actually looking forward to summer hair. I have bought alot of hair toys and am planning on wearing it up all summer. I like too how the humidity makes my hair a little crazy. :silly:

losgan
April 26th, 2009, 07:50 AM
My hair is not that long, but I'm actually looking forward to summer hair. I have bought alot of hair toys and am planning on wearing it up all summer. I like too how the humidity makes my hair a little crazy. :silly:

I'm kinda with you - I like the slight craziness I can get in the humidity.

I am, however, eager for my hair to be long enough to actually put up ... because sticky wet hair clinging to the back of my neck is not at all pleasant.

Firefly
April 26th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I'm one of those people who is always cold, so I really don't mind the summer heat unless it's oppressively humid. On those days I wet bun to keep cool. Otherwise though, it's one of the seasons were I really get to enjoy my long hair-- I let it down more, and I love feeling it on the small of my back when I wear my bathing suit!!

Katla
April 26th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Yes. So very yes. I like summer in general, but dealing with my hair can be a headache. It's no problem once I have it up in a bun or a braid or something... the problem is that my hands will tend to get just that tiny bit damp enough to make random strands of hair cling to my skin (yay for hot apartments with no a/c!). Not fun when you're trying to make an updo behave :(

Seraphina
April 26th, 2009, 08:39 AM
*nods emphatically*

I live in Australia,and a very hot part of Australia at that,so Summer is like living in an oven.It's a huge pain because when the weather is like that I love to go swimming,but then my hair gets either chlorine-y from the pool or kind of muddy from the creek water :eek:
If I'm not going swimming I just keep it up constantly,and if it is really hot and I have to go out for something,I take a shower beforehand and just soak my hair in cold water :cool:

Maelyssa
April 26th, 2009, 09:29 AM
All I have to say is cool water...nice bun...instant cool down...ahhh!

viking_quest
April 26th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I have no problem with hair in the summer time. I stay inside my cold house and if I leave it then I put it up.

JamieLeigh
April 27th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Yep, I hate having it all over me in the summertime. I get sweaty and it sticks to my back, neck, arms (and this year my butt and legs will get it stuck to them too :rolleyes:). If we had a good chance of wind down here in Alabama, it might be different, but we get still, hot and humid. Luckily I joined LHC, so I'll have an arsenal of updos that will actually STAY in my hair, as opposed to the bee-butt. :D

may1em
April 27th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Time for buns with cloth headbands to get the wispies off my neck!

Seriously, any sort of puffy bun with a bandanna, headscarf, or headband to get it off my neck helps.

DarkChocolate
April 27th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I love the summer time and the heat and humidity:)

My hair only gets a little bit frizzy but I am able to tame it will jojoba and coconut oil:)

tevta
April 27th, 2009, 11:00 AM
this will be my first year with this extensive knowledge on oils and stuff. I hope they will be better in autumn. Usually they are just dull, lifeless, and need a lot of treatments.

myotislucifugus
April 27th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I'm one of those people who is always cold, so I really don't mind the summer heat unless it's oppressively humid. On those days I wet bun to keep cool. Otherwise though, it's one of the seasons were I really get to enjoy my long hair-- I let it down more, and I love feeling it on the small of my back when I wear my bathing suit!!

Me too! I love having long hair especially in the summer because I feel gorgeous in a long slipdress with my hair (almost) to my waist. It feels so luxurious!

Peggy E.
April 27th, 2009, 11:48 AM
What if you put it up in a braided pony for the beach and for the pool? The braid keeps it under control moreso than just a pony tail, but if you want it up off your neck - and I always did when I was alive - I did a lot of braided ponies.

Chlorinated water can be hard on hair, as can ocean salt water - but, oh, how glorious the buoyancy of the ocean; cushioned on the sweet flow of the waves or gently rocking on a calm and sultry sea, oh, I miss it.....

There are simply some things in life that are worth living, even if they will cause a bit of work for your hair!

heidi w.
April 27th, 2009, 01:07 PM
My hair is a carpet....

Updos, updos, updos, and braid, braid, braids

heidi w.

Kiraela
April 27th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Oh, yes. I hate summer in general, and being hot... And having thick heavy hair does not help at all! It's at a difficult length right now where the ends keep escaping and trailing on my neck, and it is driving me batty! I tend to not go outside much.

GlennaGirl
April 27th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Yesterday was so hot, and another hot one today. I hate dealing with my hair in the Summer time. Anyone else feel the same?

Even at only the length it is now, my hair feels SO hot during the height of summer here. But summer gets to be 95-100 or more for several months in a row. So I have the feeling even if I were shaved bald, a fresh Kleenex draped softly on my head would feel deathly hot. So I may as well just keep wearing it up and enjoy it the non-lethally sunny months of the year, that's how I see things! :cheese:

Anje
April 27th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Eh, my hair's up either way. It's not really a problem for me, any time of year. (Well, other than trying to find something that'll work with the bike helmet, since braids hang a bit low on a road bike.) Summer is hot and a bit uncomfortable for me, though, and that probably has more to do with body fat and growing up in Wisconsin than with hair.

wild_horses
April 27th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I used to always hate my hair in the summer. But now I have been putting in Aubrey Orgaincs B-5 Design Gel and that has helped my hair allot. I get little curlies allover my hair and looks a mess. The b-5 gel help curl my hair nice and it says up better and my hair looks better pulled up with the gel in. And it does not feel like hair gel, all gooey and such. You can't even tell anyting is in your hair.

sukhi_v1023
April 27th, 2009, 07:17 PM
*smiles her dopey summer smile, and takes a deep, happy breath*

Ahhhh... Summer... The 2 days long season in which the sun shines. :-) Or at least that's how it feels in my area. Lol!

I love the sun, probably because I see so little of it, so I thoroughly enjoy summer, and my hair's not much of an issue either.

Copasetic
April 27th, 2009, 07:20 PM
My hair is a disaster in the summer time. It gets really humid where I live, so my hair turns into a sweaty frizzy mess.

Curlsgirl
April 27th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I like warm weather too and my hair LOVES it. I keep it up mostly too though. I like that I get to leave it to dry on its own and it takes SO short of a time outside as opposed to winter where I almost HAVE to help along with some warm air from the blow dryer. Now you can take the July and August months with their humidity but oh well can't have everything huh?

EdG
April 27th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I am perennially cold, so summer is my favorite time of year. I like how quickly my hair dries in the summer. :cheese:

If I'm really hot, I'll sit in front of a box fan, which has the added benefit of being a hair dryer as well as an Ed cooler. :)
Ed

enfys
April 30th, 2009, 04:33 AM
*smiles her dopey summer smile, and takes a deep, happy breath*

Ahhhh... Summer... The 2 days long season in which the sun shines. :-) Or at least that's how it feels in my area. Lol!

I love the sun, probably because I see so little of it, so I thoroughly enjoy summer, and my hair's not much of an issue either.

Canada is like Britain then?

I have to have my hair totally off my neck in the hottest heat. I can wear my hair down in the evenings and love that, but sometimes I really envy men with shaved heads in the summer. Not really worth it for two days though....

GlassEyes
April 30th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Surprisingly, my hair wasn't bad in the recent heat wave. Bigger, but not bad. XD;

I'd planned last summer to ahve hair long enough to pull back by this time, but that didn't happen. Too much freaking damage to do it. *grumble*

Nera
April 30th, 2009, 05:40 AM
My super heavy black curls really do bother me in the summertime. And I also get these blond locks in my black hair, due to the sunshine, and people will ask me if I got highlights.
But salt water does make my hair look beautiful. I just have to take care of it a lot, and cut off a lot after the summer:( unfortunately:(.

Janka
April 30th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I love the summer and the sun, but I don't like my hair sticking to my sweaty neck... So I wear my hair up most of the time (I try to wear it up anyway, but in summer even more). When riding a bike and wearing a helmet, I usually only braid it and then flip up. Or I take a hairtoy with me and style my hair at work...
When it's really hot and I sweated a lot, I need to wash my hair more often (like every other day as opposed to twice a week normally). I simply feel much more refreshed and I don't like it when my fringe/bangs sticks to my forehead... I hardly ever use a hairdryer in summer.