PDA

View Full Version : Cassia confusion....

Wind-in-Tree
April 25th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Hello everyone, I hope that someone here may be able to answer my question about cassia?

Although I do not post often, I am a regular visitor of the forum.
I have learned a lot since I came here and have more faith that my hair will recover past hair loss.
As a girl I always had long hair, probably about waist length.
Now, I feel that I am back to who I am supposed to be and am trying to reach that length again.
At this moment my hair isn't quite at apl but is getting thicker.
The end are quite 'fairytaly' and thin but are not split or dry.

I have a very basic hair routine, mostly common sense care.
I oil every day with coconut oil, am careful when handling my hair and am wearing it up all the time in either an French or a Dutch braid.

After reading about cassia here on the forum, I thought it might be the exact thing my hair needs to get through difficult times, maybe just in my head....patience is not one of my virtues...not when it comes to my hair anyway.
My hair is shiny and looks good, just thin from mainly going through stressful times in my life. But the promise of having thicker hair seemed exactly what I needed.

My sister was kind enough to send me two different kinds of cassia from Europe.
One 'treatment' ( just the amount necessary for one treatment) from the store's own brand which they just scoop out of a big jar and another from Henne Color, Paris.
I used the last cassia, Henne Color, and my hair didn't really respond.
It almost seemed thinner and fell out after I had rinsed the cassia.
It was very shiny but not thick at all.
Not worth going through all the mess, I thought.
But I was looking at the ingredients of the package and am wondering now if this was really cassia and if the other ingredients may have had something to do with the sleekness of my hair, which was nice but I was really looking for some added strength.

The ingredients of the Henne Color are:
Chinchona, Cassia Italica, Rosemarinus officinalis, Thymus vulgaris, Betula alba, Urtica diolca, Lawsonia inermis.

Clearly there are herbs added but could they be the cause of not gaining any added strength?
Maybe I should try again with the 'plain' cassia?
I would really like to treat my hair with a little help from cassia but why bother if it only seems to make me lose more hair right after the cassia treatment?

Any help will absolutely be appreciated! :)

chrissy-b
April 25th, 2009, 09:19 PM
The cassia I use is Cassia Obovata. I am not sure if that is the same as Cassia Italica in this mix. Lawsonia inermis is Henna. The other herbs I do not know.

I didn't notice a huge difference the first time I did a cassia treatment, but with repeated use, my hair is definitely stronger. It also has more body for about a week after a treatment but again, not drastically different than my hair normally is. If you give it time you might tell a difference.

There are others on this site that are more knowledgeable regarding cassia and I'm sure they will chime in soon.

Milui Elenath
April 25th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I can see Rosemary, Thyme and Henna there. Rosemarinus officinalis, Thymus vulgaris and Lawsonia Inermis. They are all good for your hair. I have no idea what the others are without looking them up.

Okay after looking them up it Betula alba is Birch tar oil which is for hair growth too apparently. And Urtica diolca is stinging nettle! Ahh, I love nettle - also good for hair growth and strength. I was a bit confused by the cassia ingredient as well, it seems like it might be another name for Cassia Obovata but it might not. I couldn't seem to determine Chinchona or its purpose.

A lot of those ingredients are for hair health and growth but if your after thickness perhaps a more concentrated treatment of Cassia might be better - I've read. (I haven't tried Cassia yet) :)

rusika1
April 26th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Cinchona is also known as feverwood, Peruvian bark or Jesuit's bark. It contains the alkaloid quinine which has had many medicinal uses. It also contains tannins, which are polyphenols. I'm guessing it's being used here for the polyphenols, or possibly for its astringency.

ETA: There appears to be some evidence that polyphenols may help prevent hair loss. (based on a Google search)

Wind-in-Tree
April 26th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Crissy-b,Milui Elenath and Rusika 1,

Thank you for your replies.
At times I become a little sensitive when it comes to how much thinner my hair is compared to how it used to be.
"Never change a winning team", they say so I am careful with changing my routine since my hair is recovering now.
After reading your replies I feel more assured that, even though the treatment didn't give me the effect that I was looking for, it still was good for my hair.
I think I should be brave and try the 'house brand' cassia once and see how that goes and maybe just trying the other one again as well.

Just needed to hear your opinions, I guess :)

jera
April 27th, 2009, 01:57 AM
The cassia I use is Cassia Obovata. I am not sure if that is the same as Cassia Italica in this mix. Lawsonia inermis is Henna. The other herbs I do not know.

I didn't notice a huge difference the first time I did a cassia treatment, but with repeated use, my hair is definitely stronger. It also has more body for about a week after a treatment but again, not drastically different than my hair normally is. If you give it time you might tell a difference.

There are others on this site that are more knowledgeable regarding cassia and I'm sure they will chime in soon.

I second this. It's Cassia obovata that you want for thickening. I hope if you buy some it will work out for you. :) Hair loss from stress sucks. i know cuz I've been there too.