PDA

View Full Version : Wanting Trimming Encouragement

Hay22
April 25th, 2009, 10:30 AM
My last trim was in November and I've been wanting to get another for the past several weeks because my ends are all tangly and white-dot-filled. I finally have an appointment today (there's no way I can do this myself) and I'm nervous! I've been averaging almost an inch of growth each month, so I didn't think it'd be that big of a deal to have an inch trimmed. I'm on the verge of chickening out, but it does need to be done.

I think a lot of it stems from my fear of hairdressers. I once went to get my then-APL hair trimmed and the woman cut off a 5" long chunk of hair and said "Is this good?" I cried for days. :o

Sidenote: My DBF is scared, too. I usually don't tell him when I'm going to get a cut because he panics, but he found out about today's appointment and just sent me a text reading "DON'T, I REPEAT, DON'T cut it short!" I think he's afraid I'll come back with a bob.

Islandgrrl
April 25th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I understand your anxiety! :shudder:

Be very specific with the hairdresser about what you want. As in - do not cut more than one inch. If the hairdresser argues at all with you about this, leave.

Consider taking someone with you who is very clear about what you want and can watch what the hairdresser is doing.

I've been known to tell a hairdresser that if I do not get exactly what I specifically ask for, I will not be paying for the service.

Good luck with your trim. :)

chrissy-b
April 25th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Just be very clear with what you want. Have them show you the amount they are going to cut before they do it so you can agree or even show them yourself. I haven't had a bad hair dresser experience since I was a kid (cut my waist length hair and permed it. so sad!), and I think my vocalization of exactly what I want helps.

Hay22
April 25th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks ladies! It was a little better than anticipated. I started out at 26.5 inches and she trimmed even less than I thought, so it's now at 25.75. Not too bad. She said it was super healthy and she didn't understand why I was trimming, which made me feel better. The bad news is that she cut deeper layers into the back of my hair when I told her that I was trying to grow out the layers I already had. I considered having her make it all even until I realized I'd probably end up losing 3 - 4 inches of hair, so I decided to let it go. The good news is that it'll keep growing! :D

jera
April 25th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks ladies! It was a little better than anticipated. I started out at 26.5 inches and she trimmed even less than I thought, so it's now at 25.75. Not too bad. She said it was super healthy and she didn't understand why I was trimming, which made me feel better. The bad news is that she cut deeper layers into the back of my hair when I told her that I was trying to grow out the layers I already had. I considered having her make it all even until I realized I'd probably end up losing 3 - 4 inches of hair, so I decided to let it go. The good news is that it'll keep growing! :D

I'm so glad it worked out for you. :D You were very brave to go to a stylist. I haven't been able to that in years. The only person I trust with scissors aimed at my hair is .... ME. :)

JamieLeigh
April 25th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I'm so glad it worked out for you. :D You were very brave to go to a stylist. I haven't been able to that in years. The only person I trust with scissors aimed at my hair is .... ME. :)

I agree whole-heartedly with jera!! And I'm so glad that your trip to the stylist worked out so well for you. :flower: There are so many on here who have horror-stories like the one you mentioned in your original post!!