PDA

View Full Version : Children with long hair

Rapunzal2Be
April 25th, 2009, 10:20 AM
:blossom: Hi there!

Just wondering if any of you have children - either small or grown - who also have long hair? :D

My daughter is almost three and her hair is down to her mid back (feel funny saying BSL on a toddler :laugh:) and it is gorgeous! :crush:

I also had lovely long hair as a child. It's been an old wives' tale in my family that putting hair up "stretched" it to make it grow long and fast - so my Mom always had my hair up in pony tails and buns and "mickey ears" (two buns on top) and now I come here to learn we're really just protecting the hair not stretching it to make it grow:wink:.

Anyway, now my goal is to have my long hair back, as I admire my daughter's daily! And now I've realized since joining here that I should start good hair habits on her now (I was brushing it wet, shudder:, not conditioning, etc. Egads!

So now I'll baby her hair as well as mine...

CindyLea1
April 25th, 2009, 10:31 AM
My DD aged 2 has never had the back of her hair cut. It is now just below her shoulders and pretty curly, it even spirals sometimes. I trimmed in some bangs when it was too short to put up, but hung in her eyes. I intend to keep it growing untill she tells me otherwise.

I just wash it with kids 2 in one shampoo and hit it a bit with what ever conditioner is left on my hands after I wash my hair.

I also pull it up in ponytails just to keep it out of her way when she is playing. I tried to braid it the other day but the front temple pieces are WAY to short to get into even double french braids. HEHEHEHEHEHE

Islandgrrl
April 25th, 2009, 11:18 AM
My DD doesn't have long hair anymore - it's just about shoulder length now.
But when she was little, she had long, gorgeous silky blonde hair. Tailbone-ish at the longest.

I keep asking her if she wants to grow long hair and she keeps telling me she does not. But since I cut her hair for her.......mwaaahaaahaaahaaa....evil plans for longer hair are afoot!

cocolover
April 25th, 2009, 11:18 AM
DS has hair longer than mine! She is almost to waist and I'm still hovering around BSL. She hates having it up though and usually takes it down. She likes having princess hair that flows around her :) I check it all the time for splits and she has NONE, so I've decided to let her enjoy her hair the way she wants. She wants to grow it to tailbone (approx, she just shows me with her hand). As it continues to get longer I'm hoping to comprise and do lots of fun braids.

She has an oily scalp, so we wash twice a week. I use CV bars on scalp and then rinse. After she gets out we take a dollop of conditioner and put this through her length, about ears down. This helps us to detangle. We leave this in and it doesn't make her hair greasy. Daily we spray it with watered down conditioner with a touch of glycerine to help with detangling.

We really are hair opposites, she is 1a, f/m, ii. It has been interesting figuring out what works for her hair. I'll probably put a pic of our hair together on my 1 year anniversary thread, as we have been growing out together.

flapjack
April 25th, 2009, 11:39 AM
My brother and I both had long hair as little kids. Mine seemed to hover around waist for most of my childhood (probably because of trims and growing taller), then around middle school it hit my knees. I cut it back to waist right before high school because I was having difficulty managing it at the time. My mom would do most of the caring for it until I was about 12. She was braiding it in the kitchen before school one day, dropped the braid and said "Ok, I quit" hahaha.

Rapunzal2Be
April 25th, 2009, 11:41 AM
DS has hair longer than mine! She is almost to waist and I'm still hovering around BSL. She hates having it up though and usually takes it down. She likes having princess hair that flows around her :) I check it all the time for splits and she has NONE, so I've decided to let her enjoy her hair the way she wants. She wants to grow it to tailbone (approx, she just shows me with her hand). As it continues to get longer I'm hoping to comprise and do lots of fun braids.

She has an oily scalp, so we wash twice a week. I use CV bars on scalp and then rinse. After she gets out we take a dollop of conditioner and put this through her length, about ears down. This helps us to detangle. We leave this in and it doesn't make her hair greasy. Daily we spray it with watered down conditioner with a touch of glycerine to help with detangling.

We really are hair opposites, she is 1a, f/m, ii. It has been interesting figuring out what works for her hair. I'll probably put a pic of our hair together on my 1 year anniversary thread, as we have been growing out together.

Awww, I'd love to see that pic!!! :D

LittleOrca
April 25th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I dont hav ea child yet, so I didn't have one with long hair, but when I was in first grade, my hair was classic length. When my scanner works again, I will put a picture up here. :) I was too cute for words... then I chopped it an my awkward phases began!

Fairlight63
April 25th, 2009, 12:04 PM
My oldest daughter has long hair - not sure how long it is because she always has it in a bun, but I think that it is mid back length.

My youngest daughter had long hair had mid back length all through High School, then cut it short when she went to college.

Tichad3
April 25th, 2009, 12:07 PM
My 10 year old daughter has hair to her bottom. It's been that long since she was about 2 years old. She's an American Indian, so her hair is pretty thick and dark.

My younger son tried growing his hair out. He's a very light blond. When he turned 15 he cut it off and a couple of girls in his class cried about it.

Themyst
April 25th, 2009, 12:16 PM
My DD9 has blond TB hair. She wants to grow it to her ankles. She's just started getting used to wearing buns to protect it.

Melisande
April 25th, 2009, 12:25 PM
My youngest daughter has hair the same length as I (84 cm). For me, that's hip, and for her, it's classic. She is a born longhair and was so before I re-discovered long hair. She cried when I had my last haircut some years ago...

Dressed up as ancient Greek:
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/1056/dscf0012g.th.jpg (http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf0012g.jpg)

trying her first French twist on her own:
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8947/pb220003wx6.th.jpg (http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pb220003wx6.jpg)

some months ago:
http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/9386/dscf0041bc7.th.jpg (http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf0041bc7.jpg)

She loves her hair and treats it very well.

My elder daughter has waist length. Her hair is extremely thick and wurly so it's more difficult for her.

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6048/dscf0100id0.th.jpg (http://img337.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf0100id0.jpg)

She uses a XL flexi 8 to hold her pony tail... :rolleyes:

karli
April 25th, 2009, 02:26 PM
When I was small, I wasn`t allowed to have long hair. My mother didn`t think it was practical and she didn`t enjoy brushing and washing. (neither did I to be honest) But I remember crying at the hairdresser.

That is of course what has made me have my hair long as an adult. That`s probably why my daughter has long hair as well. I enjoy taking care of it and make different hairdos. She is quite conservative, doesn`t like changes, wants to keep it in a braid every day. Which she gets.

When with me, she washes her hair once a week, it doesn`t get oily, it tangles though, so she use coney conditioners. The tangleteaser has made our lives so much easier...

When her hair was cut from tb to nearly waist during vacation with her father last january, (he doesn`t like to care for it) I got upset. Of course I didn`t show her that.

I try to remember that it`s her hair, that she should enjoy. So that she will not protest by making a haircut and be shorthaired as an adult.

Picture of her is in my album.

morningstar
April 25th, 2009, 02:30 PM
My daughters' hair is now waist length. They had reached tailbone length but it was so dry and damaged because they do not let me braid it often and last summer we went on a vacation and spent too much time in chlorine pools.
My twins are 6 and love their hair but do not like to be fussed with. They both asked if they can get it cut to shoulder length this summer. :( I am certain this will happen soon. When they are older they can grow again I suppose. :)

JamieLeigh
April 25th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Both of my daughters have probably about average-length hair for kids their ages. My 3-yr-old daughter has hair to about the middle of her back, and my 7-yr-old daughter has waist-length. The younger one's grows more quickly, and is very fine like mine, and the oldest grows more slowly and is very thick and curl-prone (like my ex-hubby's). Both receive the occasional trim to keep it blunt like mine, and both are CO like me. :)

Pilgrim
April 25th, 2009, 11:39 PM
My 8 yo DD has long, silky hair that is a bit past tailbone length. We keep it in a pony braid most of the time, though she prefers it down. But it would be a tangled mess if she wore it down very often. She wants to grow it even longer; we'll see. ;) I'm the one who combs it and fixes it every day! I'm actually surprised that she likes it so long because she's very active and sensitive to detangling sessions. (Ow, Mommy!) She does at least wash it herself, but is not yet quite able to do the rest. Hopefully soon! Anyway, I'm glad she likes her hair long - it is quite pretty!

Rapunzal2Be
April 26th, 2009, 03:15 AM
I dont hav ea child yet, so I didn't have one with long hair, but when I was in first grade, my hair was classic length. When my scanner works again, I will put a picture up here. :) I was too cute for words... then I chopped it an my awkward phases began!

Awwww, I was the same way! My first awful cut was when my Aunt cut in bangs for me - my Mom and Dad both cried.

When I was small, I wasn`t allowed to have long hair. My mother didn`t think it was practical and she didn`t enjoy brushing and washing. (neither did I to be honest) But I remember crying at the hairdresser.

That is of course what has made me have my hair long as an adult. That`s probably why my daughter has long hair as well. I enjoy taking care of it and make different hairdos. She is quite conservative, doesn`t like changes, wants to keep it in a braid every day. Which she gets.

When with me, she washes her hair once a week, it doesn`t get oily, it tangles though, so she use coney conditioners. The tangleteaser has made our lives so much easier...

When her hair was cut from tb to nearly waist during vacation with her father last january, (he doesn`t like to care for it) I got upset. Of course I didn`t show her that.

I try to remember that it`s her hair, that she should enjoy. So that she will not protest by making a haircut and be shorthaired as an adult.

Picture of her is in my album.

That must have been hard, to not react to that hair cut. We have the same problem with my step-daughters - their mother cuts their hair often. She does not like to deal with it. Makes their father and I so sad.

My daughters' hair is now waist length. They had reached tailbone length but it was so dry and damaged because they do not let me braid it often and last summer we went on a vacation and spent too much time in chlorine pools.
My twins are 6 and love their hair but do not like to be fussed with. They both asked if they can get it cut to shoulder length this summer. :( I am certain this will happen soon. When they are older they can grow again I suppose. :)

Awwww, hopefully they will want to grow it out again! But as long as they are happy!!

Rapunzal2Be
April 26th, 2009, 03:18 AM
My youngest daughter has hair the same length as I (84 cm). For me, that's hip, and for her, it's classic. She is a born longhair and was so before I re-discovered long hair. She cried when I had my last haircut some years ago...

Dressed up as ancient Greek:
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/1056/dscf0012g.th.jpg (http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf0012g.jpg)

trying her first French twist on her own:
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8947/pb220003wx6.th.jpg (http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pb220003wx6.jpg)

some months ago:
http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/9386/dscf0041bc7.th.jpg (http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf0041bc7.jpg)

She loves her hair and treats it very well.

My elder daughter has waist length. Her hair is extremely thick and wurly so it's more difficult for her.

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6048/dscf0100id0.th.jpg (http://img337.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf0100id0.jpg)

She uses a XL flexi 8 to hold her pony tail... :rolleyes:

Gorgeous!!

Heavenly Locks
April 26th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Gorgeous!!

I second that! :D

enfys
April 26th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I don't have kids yet, but if I have girls they will be heavily encouraged to have long hair. Boys won't, but that's just us. I think when little toddler boys have curly hair it's cute, but fiance and I have straight hair.

When I was little I had long hair. My mum took excellent care of it. Detangling never hurt me. I never wore it down; she always put it in bunches. Barely blowdried it, only in winter before bed because she worried I'd catch a cold. That made habits that have lasted me. All my friends were jealous.

So, for those of you who maybe didn't have long hair when you were little and don't know if you're doing the best for your daughters you are!

sagebabies
April 26th, 2009, 03:54 PM
my oldest daughter just got her hair cut to a bob and it made me sad, but I didn't want to push her one way or the other. My twins who are two have not had a hair cut yet and as long as I have a say they will have long hair. I have started taking better care of my three daughter's hair.....and I'm pregnant with a boy. If he wants to be like his daddy and mommy and have long hair we will encourage that too!

GeoJ
April 26th, 2009, 04:34 PM
My 3 year-old daughter has long hair. Hers is about waist length when dry, with loose waves on the top half and the remains of spiral curls on the bottom (I cut it a few times). Her hair is darker than mine and very shiny.

I usually use water-only for her hair, and CV shampoo bars if she gets really dirty.

She is growing out bangs right now. I made the mistake of giving her bangs last year (she cried when she went and looked in the mirror afterward).

The biggest problem is that she has the longest hair in her preschool class and the other children always want to mess with it.

UrsaMama
April 27th, 2009, 03:34 PM
My DD6 has long hair. I just realized the other day that her ends are actually at classic. Her hair has never been cut, just the occasional S&D.

Stubborn
April 27th, 2009, 07:39 PM
My 9-year-old sister has beautiful brown, thick, straight, straight hem-line, BSL length hair .

candy rain
April 27th, 2009, 07:50 PM
i dont have childer yet:p but my classmate has a long long hair,which made many our discuss about her :D

UrsaMama
April 27th, 2009, 07:54 PM
My 6yo dd has classic length hair which has never been cut.

dulce-de-leche
April 27th, 2009, 08:27 PM
My 12 year old daughter has waist length hair.I have a picture of her hair in my album under"Daughter's hair"if anyone wants to see it.I haven't updated her pictures but that picture was taken sometime last year.

angelthadiva
April 30th, 2009, 06:01 PM
DD7 has TBL hair, I too have a photo album designated just for her--I believe it's private though.

BlndeInDisguise
April 30th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I don't have any children, but my 5 year old niece has classic length hair. I have some pictures in my album.

My other niece tends to take after her Mom's (my sister) side of the family--starts out thin and grows slowly, but eventually we have long hair. :D

allege
April 30th, 2009, 06:42 PM
My youngest nice is 4 and she has mid back length hair, and wants it longer. She also has hair that is very wavey with some curl. It would be more curly I am sure if my sister would follow the curly girl book (She has a copy). She loves hair toys already. This girl will not walk out of the house with out a pretty clip or headband in, my sister spend about 30 a month on custom hairbows for my youngest niece.

ButterCup02
April 30th, 2009, 07:04 PM
My sister had about waist length, curly blonde hair her whole childhood....she's 17 now and just chopped it all off to chin length!! It's still very pretty, but she is growing it out again LOL

Freija
June 17th, 2009, 08:07 AM
No children here - I'm only eighteen - but when I was small I had tailbone-length hair. I miss that - it was such a sweet caramel-brown, which self-highlighted in the summer, and I would often wear it loose out of school. Now my hair is a medium-dark brown and too cool for my skintone. :roll:

Madame J
June 17th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I also don't have children, but would be willing to take care of long hair on a child of either sex. My husband has long hair, so it would be pretty hypocritical (and sexist) to make a son keep his hair short against his will. Probably we just won't take our kids to get haircuts until they ask for it themselves.

I had long hair as a girl, and I don't have many fond memories of my father, but one is of him very gently combing my long hair out one morning when my mom couldn't do it. It was always nicer the few times that he combed my hair because he was super-gentle and didn't tug the way my mother or (worse) my grandmother did.

redneckprincess
June 17th, 2009, 09:55 AM
MY 12 YR OLD dd HAS HAIR ONLY A FEW INCHES LONGER THEN MINE {WHEN WET OR FLAT IRONED) at the moment... I should do a compairison shot of us together..***good idea***:gobblecheese:
{sorry i forgot i had it cap locked =[

anyways we are both trying to grow our hair longer over the next couple years she wants waist length hair by high school, thats only 2 years away. I guess she better not get any zeros next year or the year after, or she will never reach her goal.

bakertwins2004
June 17th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Yep my dd is five and it is almost tailbone length. We all love her hair.

Lohari
June 17th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Well I don't have children as I'm still a teenager and do not have plans to become a mother at this age, but my little sisters have all long hair (as does my mother and her mother XD). The youngest one, now 4 years old, has tailbone-lenght hair. I always joke how someday I'm going to cut her hair for hairextensions because we have almost the same lenght hair, her hair just looks longer because she has smaller body. She always gets mad at me and starts to hit me, and then I'll be really glad she is so small. My other three sisters have ~"bsl" lenght hair.

HomesteadMommy
June 17th, 2009, 11:03 AM
My 7 year old has hair to the middle of her back. My 5 year old;s hair is waist length. Our younger two still have short hair, but that's because they are little. I've never cut their hair.

cocolover
June 17th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I now have a pretty recent pic of dd's hair. She is continuing to let it grow and continues to have NO spits...amazing since it is down almost all the time.
The pic is in my album if you want to take a look.
bakertwins2004-your children are adorable and your daughter's hair is beautiful!

MissMaryMac
June 17th, 2009, 12:55 PM
My daughter has had long hair her whole life, except for 2 big chops. She is 11. Right now it is about 2-3 inches past BSL and she says she wants it as long as mine. Her hair is amazingly beautiful, thick and curiously tri-colored just like her daddy's hair. :inlove:

so_long_gone
June 17th, 2009, 01:21 PM
My daughter has had only 1 haircut her whole life. I was never going to cut it, but out of spite her father cut her waist length hair to the nape of her neck when she was 4. She is now almost 7 and her hair is back to her waist. Her beautiful little blonde baby curls never came back. I don't plan to cut it.

Naava
June 17th, 2009, 01:53 PM
My DD is almost 1 year old and her hair is APL (not all of it though, some parts started to grow a little later) :D Her hair has never been cut, I have been thinking about cutting it a little just to get the lenght more even, but my husband has asked me not to. Our plan is just to let her hair grow until she is old enough to decide what she wants to do with it.

Alun
June 17th, 2009, 02:01 PM
DD12 and DS15 are both growing their hair. DD insisted on cutting back to shoulder length one time, but didn't like it, and DS got a spiky cut when he was 8 and didn't grow it back out for several years, plus DW insists that they both have a trim at the start of every school year, so their hair isn't as long as it might be. DS is a little beyond shoulder length and DD somewhere beyond BSL (yes she does wear one).

goodenough
June 17th, 2009, 02:15 PM
My dd7 has hip length blond hair--I go through stages where I trim an inch each month until it's back up to waist. I do this over the winter to get the bleached-out ends off. Each summer, the kid's hair gets bleached in the pool. The last time I cut her hair about a month ago--I got it so straight that I think I might not cut it for a year:)

LisaM
June 17th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I have 3 daughters with long hair.

My oldest is almost 8 and she never had a haircut until she was almost 5. She likes her hair long but says it gets in the way when it's down to her bottom. So she likes it cut just above her waist.

My second daughter is almost 6 and she would love it if I would cut her hair shirt -- up to her chin, she says! So far I haven't cut it shorter than the middle of her back. That length is working for her. She didn't have her first haircut until she was almost 3.

My third daughter just turned 4 and hasn't had a cut yet. She still has those baby curls at the ends of her hair. So cute! I do need to get her hair trimmed a bit just to even it up but I hate to lose those curls.

On a side note I want to say how glad I am to be back here! I've been a member for years but haven't been here since I was pregnant with my 4 year old. I was thinking about cutting my hair much shorter recently and decided I needed to find some support for keeping it long so I searched through my online bookmarks and came back here. I'll get my husband to take a picture of my hair and put it in my signature line asap. It's probably right about to my tailbone now.

Carrie Ingalls
June 17th, 2009, 04:13 PM
This thread is very interesting because I was just thinking about this topic.

A girl I know is finishing the sixth grade and was just lamenting her and her mother’s differing views on hair.

‘Lily’ and her sister would like to grow their hair longer, but their Mom doesn’t give them any say in their hair cuts…and they do a pretty good job of taking care of their own hair.

The most surprising thing to me was that their Mom had thigh length hair when she was a girl and cut it to a bob in sixth grade and it hasn’t been longer than shoulder length since.

Lily also hated the bob she was forced to have through the third grade…her hair is now mid-back length. Every summer her mom takes her to get a “trim” and has the stylist hack off at least 5inches (=yearly growth), or worse and bangs and layers, which Lily really hates.

I gave Lily a few hair care tips and told her to just do her very best to keep her hair extra healthy and try to talk to her mom and ask to have a little more say in her own hair. The same for her younger sister (who has actually cried when her has her get a hair cut, because she wants to grow it longer).

GoddesJourney
June 17th, 2009, 04:33 PM
The kids in my family all had fairly long hair. Mine hasn't ever been shorter than APL/BSL (aside from infancy, of course). My coulsin had something like classic length because her parents wouldn't let her cut it. When I have kids, I'm pretty sure they will have long hair. I think I just won't cut it unless it gets damaged or if they REALLY want me to.

Addy
June 17th, 2009, 04:36 PM
My son has long hair! He hasn't shaved his head in 2 years after I asked him to grow out with me. He said okay! :D This pic was taken a few months ago and is actually past shoulder length now, all one length...

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7930/nohedoesntcomb.jpg (http://img526.imageshack.us/i/nohedoesntcomb.jpg/)

His hair is very thick!

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7312/nicholassverythickhair.jpg (http://img526.imageshack.us/i/nicholassverythickhair.jpg/)

Now my dd isn't intrested in long hair. She wants me to cut tons of layers in her shoulder length hair.

Saisaisayonara
June 17th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Well no children but my 9 year old niece has gorgeous tailbone length hair!

bakertwins2004
June 17th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks cocolover. She has had many cuts and trims. Her hair grows SO FAST. She has decided that she wants it as long as it will grow now. So we are doing damage control only now.

nancy33936
June 17th, 2009, 08:08 PM
No kids, my my 5 year old niece has 3" below shoulder.

Anje
June 17th, 2009, 08:31 PM
No children yet, though I do have a long-haired cat! (I haven't been able to convince my two Siamese to grow theirs long yet, though.)

My two younger brothers have both become longhairs in recent years, though. I think we are the long-haired children, though it took a bit longer for us to get that way.

Flynn
June 17th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I could just sit on by braid when I was about six.

rovylern
June 17th, 2009, 09:00 PM
My daughter is almost ten and until Monday she had classic length hair. We wound up having to cut it to iliac length and she was devastated. She said she wants it down to the floor, so I'm holding out hope that she'll never want to cut it.

My current favorite hair-showoff picture: Ophelia's mind went wandering... (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3371/3634269918_33ea515b98.jpg)

NiAosSi
June 18th, 2009, 02:49 AM
My 5 y/o daughter has waist length hair. It was tailbone but, I cut back because someone in school put gum in her hair (haters).:mad:

Carrie Ingalls
June 19th, 2009, 07:34 PM
My oldest God-daughter is 3 and hasn't had a hair cut, she has natural layers and the longest layers are about waist+.

Here's a pic of two braids (about the end of April):
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h144/ToO-OK/0506091107a-1.jpg
Yeah, I didn't part her hair very evenly...oh well

Here is a cute french twist from today:
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h144/ToO-OK/0619091316-1.jpg

Sorry the first one is a little blurry, I took these with my phone.