PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Hair Color

Raederle
April 4th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Has anyone ever tried Streekers (https://colormetrics.com/buy/streekers.php) temporary hair color? Or has anyone had experience with any other shampoo out colors?

My son is graduating UCLA in June :cheese:, and I thought it would be fun to have a few yellow and blue streaks, as a sign of support. I work for an extremely conservative company, and would have to be sure there was not even the hint of color in my hair afterward. And obviously, I don't fancy totally frying my hair.

I have to wear my hair up at work, so coloring underlayers is not an option, especially as they are dark brown and would probably look like crap. My top layers, are silvery grey, as you can tell from my profile picture. Am I correct that they would take color, or is grey really resistant? Will I have to resort to scarves or some other "safe and sane" alternative?

akurah
April 4th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I'm not familiar with that particular product. You might be better off using something along the lines of a temporary hair color that is a styling gel, "mascara" or mousse--the color will likely be more vibrant. You won't be able to move the hair much (if at all) after applying the color with those kinds of dyes, however.

Since there is a bit of time till June, you could always strand test the dye, then wash the strand and see if the dye comes out?

cutenappygrl
April 4th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I don't know if you live near a Sally's beauty supply store - but they have a few products: here's a search

http://www.sallybeauty.com/temporary-haircolor/Hair05-03,default,sc.html

spidermom
April 5th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I don't know about hair colors, but congratulations to son.

Feisty Redhead
April 5th, 2008, 08:19 AM
I've never heard of that particular product before but it does look pretty cool. I might have to try it, just for fun. If I do decide to try it I will be sure to let you know.

And congrats to your son!

alligatorbaby23
April 5th, 2008, 09:17 AM
How about some clip in pieces the color you want, or get blond clip ins and dye them ? That way you don't have to worry about getting the color out, as well as not dealing with multi colored gunk.. I remember how much I hated dyeing my hair in the past, just so messy!
Congrats to your son, I can tell you are a very proud mom!

Raederle
April 5th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Well thanks for the congratulations, and the suggestions. I've got until mid -June, so there should be enough time for some experimentation.

Shell
April 5th, 2008, 09:24 AM
How about some clip in pieces the color you want, or get blond clip ins and dye them ? That way you don't have to worry about getting the color out, as well as not dealing with multi colored gunk.. I remember how much I hated dyeing my hair in the past, just so messy!
Congrats to your son, I can tell you are a very proud mom!

I think that this is the solution. Plenty of girls in high school dyed their hair (we were blue and green) and the dye had to be cut out if they were blonde. I'm afraid that the dye wouldn't just wash out.

When I did a semi permanent dye on my blonde hair many years ago, it was permanent.

Grey is hard to dye over because people are trying to get it dark. I have a feeling that blue is going to hang in there!

I think clip ons would be great.

Congrats to your graduate!

Jason
April 5th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I've had good success with the 24/28 wash temporary colors. It does eventually wash out and sometimes leaves subtle highlights. I don't think I've suffered any longterm damage from them.

Jeni
April 5th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I have used the colored "hair sprays" before, be careful, darker colors like red and blue left a tint in my hair for about a week (I'm blond). Also they are definitely something to use AFTER you style your hair. There was no brushing through them (at least the kind I used). A friend of mine used the gel mascara, worked well, again couldn't brush through it. They did come out of her hair after washing, but her hair was a light brown. I have used food coloring on many occasions, dyes light hair very well and comes off in water (YMMV). The one problem being if any water gets on your hair, the color will run. In HS I dyed my hair red, blue, green, purple and orange using food coloring for a pep rally, I looked good, but then it rained on us and I was covered in dye (I mean covered too, and it stains the skin and clothes), luckily I was a senior and it was a short day.

Jeni

mellie
April 6th, 2008, 06:08 AM
There are clip-in extensions you can get in custom colors, here's one place I found:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=7695868

ktani
April 6th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Raederle

Congratulations on your son's graduation.

I agree with the others on the clip-in swatches.

I think they would be the perfect solution to your one time colour effect without any after effects or consequences - colour lingering in your hair. This way you will not have to deal with how resistant grey is or is not to any colour that you might apply. You will also be avoiding having to experiment on getting the colour right, dealing with sensitivity and safety issues or research.

The mini extensions IMO, would be a worry free way to achieve the result you want and fully enjoy your day while wearing them.

You have time between now and the day to try them out and practice getting the look you want.

If you do buy them - you could even file any rough edges off the combs or clips they come with, to make them even more hair friendly.

I have seen them at Claire's but not in those colours - it was a while ago though - so I think it is worth checking out. Claire's may have what you want.

I have even seen them in dollar stores and drugstores. Most beauty supply places should have them - blonde or yellow should not be too difficult to find - blue - maybe - maybe not - I have seen pink.

Raederle
April 6th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Oh thanks for all the congratulations and suggestions. I'm thinking I'll go with some type of clip in thing. I'd forgotten all about them. Orf course, all this is contingent upon son's approval; I don't want to do anything on his day that might derail it for him.