PDA

View Full Version : Simple Braid Management

Firefly
April 24th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I really enjoy wearing my hair in a single braid down my back, but I find that in no time at all (usually less than an hour) the braid starts looking "frayed" from about the next down-- almost like I've slept on it or something. I'm just wondering if this is typical... do people have to keep rebraiding to keep the braid looking neat? Or should I try using AVG or some other product on dry hair before I braid?

I'd appreciate hearing how those of you who wear braids get them to stay looking nice. Thank you!:)

physicschick
April 24th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Oiled hair stays tidier for longer. I just live with the frizz, though. :) (Mine takes longer to go frizzy than yours, I think.)

misstwist
April 24th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Do you have layers? That will contribute to a ragged looking braid. My hair is usually slightly damp when I braid and it generally looks fine most of the day. I usually wear a braid bunned, rather than down though. I bet wearing it down contributes to the ragged appearance, it would be rubbing up against things the same way loose hair does.

Flynn
April 24th, 2009, 08:24 PM
If I braid it wet or damp, it stays smooth; if dry, it gets a little "fluffy", perhaps because it is rubbing on my clothes and my backpack, but I generally don't worry about it. Taking it down and re-doing it smooths it out again fine.

truepeacenik
April 24th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Mine frays at the neck and up!
I have used oils, lightly, on damp hair, which helps for a while. I do rebraid, or give up and bun it.
Aloe Vera doesn't help me all that much. YMMV, though.

Carolyn
April 24th, 2009, 08:29 PM
If you have layers that is probably the cause. Oiling, using AVG, or damp braiding can all help. You just have to experiment and see what works for you. If you are wearing fleece or wool jackets that could contribute to the fuzzing too. Hoods and back packs don't help much either.

Anje
April 24th, 2009, 09:10 PM
It's totally normal for my braids to fray and frizz too. If I leave it all day, it can look almost like a woolly bear caterpillar (ok, I'm exaggerating a little).

If I don't plan to wear my hair loose again before washing it, doing a heavy oiling before braiding really helps it to stay tidy, and it makes the braid look wonderfully shiny. AVG might work too, but I avoid it because it encourages my hair to tangle. Even oiled, I tend to redo my braid once or twice during the day, if I care what it looks like.

Firefly
April 24th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks so much everyone! Yes, I am growing out long layers so that is probably contributing to the frayed look. But now I have several good ideas to try to help it while I'm growing them out, thanks to all of you! :flowers:

Curlsgirl
April 24th, 2009, 09:33 PM
This seems to sometimes also be a hairtype thing. Mine stays fairly neat all day so I guess I'm lucky. It does better the "dirtier" my hair is though. Also oil tames it even more. I like EVOO or coconut. Fine hair as a rule seems to get more frayed looking faster from the remarks I have read here.