PDA

View Full Version : Non Trimmers Without Fairytale ends?

Lile
April 24th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Just wondering......Any non-trimmers out there with long hair,who have ends like trimmers,without too much damage?

pdy2kn6
April 24th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Just wondering......Any non-trimmers out there with long hair,who have ends like trimmers,without too much damage?

i think its not too likely that hair that is untrimmed would look exactly like trimmed hair because as it grows, it often grows at different rates, although you can still get fairy tale ends without them being at all damaged, just different lengths:)

Omens
April 24th, 2009, 07:28 PM
My mom's hair is almost blunt at the ends, and she rarely cuts it. It's about tailbone length. Her hair seems to grow fairly evenly, though she does get a trim once in a great while (like once a year...maybe half an inch).

Untrimmed, I would think it would be pretty rare to have blunt ends, though I'm sure it is possible. I think even my mom's hair would fairytale if left alone for a few years.

Seraphina
April 24th, 2009, 07:51 PM
My ends are quite blunt and I rarely trim,however I can still see a difference between my rarely-trimmed hair and my friends' trimmed hair.

Darscilla
April 25th, 2009, 07:06 AM
ME! I haven't trimmed in 3 1/2 years in the hope of getting fairytale ends, and my hemline remains stubbornly blunt, as you can see in my avatar. While my ends don't look as if they have been cut with a ruler, there is probably no more than about an inch between the longest and shortest hairs at the very ends. I suppose my hair must grow all at the same rate :shrug:

As for damage, in that 3 1/2 years, from chin to waist, I have had a grand total of two splits, which were hastily S&D'ed away. Recently, however, I have been considering a small trim, as I feel the ends look 'weathered'. But that's not going to help toward my goal of fairytale ends. I've thought about cutting a v-shape hemline, but I'm too scared to try so much cutting after so long. Maybe I should just accept I'm going to have a blunt hemline?

Melisande
April 25th, 2009, 07:32 AM
My hair doesn't fairytale. I didn't trim for many months and even then, only tiny self trims. My hair looks a bit frazzled at the end but no fairytales.

One pic shows my hair after a too-intensive catnip rinse that dried it out a bit too much so you see the dryness and frazzles. The second pic is after a good moisturizing treatment and oiled. So my ends will have to fall one day but not yet ;-)

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/6027/20090212unbrushedwz4.th.jpg (http://img25.imageshack.us/my.php?image=20090212unbrushedwz4.jpg)

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9223/20090220ohneblitzmx1.th.jpg (http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=20090220ohneblitzmx1.jpg)

Lile
April 25th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Darscilla,Melisande,

It's amazing!

Any special hair care routine you protect your ends with?

Darscilla
April 25th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Darscilla,Melisande,

It's amazing!

My hair has been neglected terribly for over a year (life got in the way of hair care... hate it when that happens ;) ) but in theory, I protect my ends by using a cone conditioner, or if I'm in a cone-free phase, coconut oil or EVOO. In reality, though, I suspect my ends get the most protection from minimal brushing and combing and wearing the ends tucked away in a cinni-bun 99.9% of the time.

By the way, we're almost hair twins! :cheese: Though my hair is chemically treated, so YMMV!

flapjack
April 25th, 2009, 11:36 AM
My hair is well into tb land and there is no sign of fairytale ends anywhere. I got a trim of 1 inch last month and then half an inch last April and that's it. My hair is pretty much straight across at the bottom, however, I do think the left side of my head has hair that grows faster just a tiny bit. Like someone else mentioned, my hair is blunt without trims, but it's even more blunt with a trim, there is still a difference.

Melisande
April 25th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Darscilla,Melisande,

It's amazing!

I do pamper my ends. I take care not to over-twist or bend them when I bun, I hardly ever leave my hair open, I really treat them like old lace (and old lace they are, with old chemical damage and much sun damage, too, from pre-boards times).

I treat them once a week to my special hair treatment that I tweaked over time: a mixture of conditioner, olive oil, honey, keratin, hydrolyzed wheat protein and aloe vera gel. I put this on my lengths and ends, bag them and keep them warm for at least two hours before I wash.

I also add oil to my ends after washing (monoi or camellia) and make deep oilings before at least once a week (olive oil, jojoba, coconut or camellia).

I use a catnip tea (see the long thread by Ktani for more info) and soak my ends really well in catnip before I rinse it out - for at least 10 to 15 minutes, and if I can, longer.

so I do take some measures to protect and pamper my ends. I must say that once you have your routine in place, it's a no-brainer, you just do it on auto pilot, for me it's no effort at all. I always prepare my treatment mixture for a whole month and keep it in the fridge. The catnip prep is so easy, no problem at all.

My ends do look a bit shabby and will have to go one day but only after I reach 100 cm ;-) solemn oath ;-) which will take some time yet.

Since nobody sees my ends anyway, I don't really care if they are a bit frail. I had my last real trim Christmas 2007, then one dusting and another one last November. So these are my original ends from the pre-enlightened era. Artifacts indeed....

lapushka
April 25th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I haven't trimmed since last August, that's 8, almost 9 months. My hair seems to be growing into a slight u-shape.

I doubt you get fairytale ends after about a year's worth of growth, I think it takes quite a bit longer than that... many years... for it to get those ends.

Melisande
April 25th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Yes, I think so too, and I think that not every kind of hair fairytales out the beautiful way. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the curlier heads and also the wavies have a clear fairytale advantage. I think my hair will never fairytale, it will just wither away ;-)