PDA

View Full Version : Need an advice.

wissles
April 24th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Hi!
I'm really obsessed with my hair right now so I'm sorry if I'm asking a lot of stuff, but I don't trust anyone else but you, so.. love you! :o

Anyway, just need an opinion. What do you think sounds the best?

Option 1. Use my protrein leave-in conditioner that really helps to prevent split ends, with olive oil on it, but having to use a schampoo everytime I wash since the leave-in contains silicones. (Why I do this is because I've heard that conditioners can't wash silicones out, and the silicones wont let moist get in) I always do a moisturizing heavy treatment everytime I wash my hair.

Option 2. Skip my leave-in conditioner that I know works, and only use olive oil in my ends to help prevent split ends and breakage, but not as effective. Only wash with protein conditioner when I wash and no schampoo. After that, a heavy moisturizing treatment.

CindyLea1
April 24th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Just my 2 cents worth.

Unless you have really dry hair or live in the desert; I do not understand why you think you need the deep treatments with every wash. I hit the heavy duty deep treatments once a week. Maybe we have differnt needs.

It is possible to overdo the moisture, and protein, and it leaves *MY* hair coated, nasty, clumpy, and actually dry at the ends.

I would opt for #2, and only hit the heavy stuff once a week.

Have you tried the steps in this article? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44

Curlsgirl
April 24th, 2009, 12:38 PM
The only way to really know with your own hair is to experiment. How does your hair FEEL and LOOK consistently when using one or the other options? You might try using each for a month and at the end of the month evaluating your success. Really, each person's hair is different and there really is nothing wrong with either routine. Some hair likes cones and some do better without them. Also, watch the protein for possible overload. Some people are a little sensitive to it but some are fine. Also hair needs can change from time to time and season to season so don't be afraid to reevaluate often. Good luck!

Anje
April 24th, 2009, 12:47 PM
You don't necessarily have to remove the leave-in every time you wash. Depending on what you use, how you use it, and how your hair reacts, you might be able to let the leave-in build up for a few wash cycles before shampooing it out.

You could try COing, too, with a protein conditioner, a protein-free one, even one that's heavy with silicones (a few people even CO with Pantene, which is typically loaded with silicones). Just shampoo when your hair starts misbehaving.

EmilyTheStrange
April 24th, 2009, 01:02 PM
hey sorry but i dont know how to post reply in an extra post. can someone please help me to define my hairtype. i dont know if its 2a or ii or what that all means :-) and guys be honest does my hair look broken-down or does it looks quite ok. thank you so much.

Honey39
April 24th, 2009, 01:17 PM
My leave-in has very 'mild' cones, and it doesn't cause build-up the way that cone conditioner does on me. I find that leave-in conditioner works soooooo well on my hair, much better than oils.

What do you like the feel of on your hair? I tend to alternate, to be honest. I have one leave-in conditioner that is just fabulous, some mid-range ones. I use a very cheap wash OUT conditioner, and just a tiny blob of leave-in, so not too bad.

I found oil didn't really help my hair much as a 'leave' in, it didn't give my hair slip or moisture. Sometimes I use jojoba oil on my hair, and then a leave-in on top.

It's quite good to go slow with your hair, and keep a note of what works and what doesn't - maybe a blog here?

lora410
April 24th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Well. First of all I am now sure how experience you are with CO washes (conditioner only) but for some; myself included they make me way to greasy. You may want to try CO for two weeks without the leave in to see if it is even right for you.

Honestly though for my hair I have never committed long on one routine because I find sometimes my hair has different needs at different times. So if your regular routine works fine I would bother changing it. The best way to get silicone buildup out of hair is to clarify about one a month with a good clarifying shampoo or baking soda wash ( I typically mix BS in with my Poo)

may1em
April 24th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I don't think you need to use shampoo every time you wash, even if your leave-in has silicone. Silicone builds up OVER TIME, and might not make your hair gunky right away.

Also, Lora, this community is probably the only place you can say you mix BS in with your poo and not gross people out! It made me laugh.

wissles
April 24th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the answers everyone.

Why I deep condition everytime I wash is because
1. I only wash my hair about once a week because it never gets greasy, not even after a week.
2. I use a protein schampoo, protein conditioner (not both usually) and a protein leave-in treatment to make my hair strong again, and if I don't do my moisture treatments my hair gets really dry. When I do, it feels strong but still really soft and looks shiny and great. :)

And about the mild cones, my leave-in probably has pretty mild cones to. It's a really good professional product and everyone I know recommends it, so I guess it's not crap. I guess it does work.

But yeah, maybe the best thing for me is to experiment.

lora410
April 24th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I don't think you need to use shampoo every time you wash, even if your leave-in has silicone. Silicone builds up OVER TIME, and might not make your hair gunky right away.

Also, Lora, this community is probably the only place you can say you mix BS in with your poo and not gross people out! It made me laugh.

:rollin: I didn't realize it sounded like that.

lora410
April 24th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the answers everyone.

Why I deep condition everytime I wash is because
1. I only wash my hair about once a week because it never gets greasy, not even after a week.
2. I use a protein schampoo, protein conditioner (not both usually) and a protein leave-in treatment to make my hair strong again, and if I don't do my moisture treatments my hair gets really dry. When I do, it feels strong but still really soft and looks shiny and great. :)

And about the mild cones, my leave-in probably has pretty mild cones to. It's a really good professional product and everyone I know recommends it, so I guess it's not crap. I guess it does work.

But yeah, maybe the best thing for me is to experiment.

If your scalp doesnt get greasy why wash it? Alot of people dp water only washes. You may be a perfect candidate for it. If I never got greasy I wouldn't wash but I only make it 3 days max.