PDA

View Full Version : Bad news and I need your help please...

whiteisle
April 24th, 2009, 10:36 AM
We just found out that my mom has breast cancer and will be undergoing chemo and radiation shortly. She has dark, almost APL, hair that has been well kept and is in great shape. She was interested in the possibility of being able to use her own hair for a wig.

Do any of you know where I could start to find out who might do this for her?

Many thanks.

RavennaNight
April 24th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I dont know the answer, but :grouphug:.

Runzel
April 24th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. :(

From what I've heard, it takes several "ponytails" of hair to make a single wig--4 is the number I've heard tossed around. However, that's just something I've heard; I can't seem to find information on it elsewhere.

melrose1985
April 24th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I'm really sorry to hear that about your mom. I'm not sure about your questions but many hugs to you.

Bean13
April 24th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Were all very sorry to hear your mom and family are going through such a terrible disease. Very unfair!:heart:
I did see a website though that may help with your need.

http://www.worldofwigs.com/custom_wigs.php

Take care and be strong.

:hug

Curlsgirl
April 24th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I don't know either but I had to give you a hug. Prayers for all of you during this difficult time!!!

rosieposie
April 24th, 2009, 11:31 AM
:grouphug: Im so very sorry to hear of your Mothers illness. My own Mum is suffering too at this time. I dont have any information for you, but I think her nurses/doctors might be able to point you in the right direction if you ask them about this. Im so very sorry. I hope you get some good news soon.
Every blessing to both your Mum and to you. I wish her a speedy recovery.

amaiaisabella
April 24th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your mom's cancer. I really hope she'll be able to use her hair for the wig! That should be a bright spot in all this.

Runzel
April 24th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I went and did some research and found this site (http://www.hatswithhair.com/DonateHairToMakeWig.aspx) where they can make a partial wig connected to a hat with your own hair. They say:

A full wig made with your hair is rarely done in the US and costs thousands of dollars. In addition, it takes many hair donations.

This particular option allows for the illusion of a full head of hair under a hat, scarf, or other covering for $280.

This website (http://www.worldofwigs.com/custom_wigs.php)makes custom wigs using your own hair. The price starts at $2195, and generally extra hair is needed. Those who know your mom might be willing to grow and cut their hair for her sake. I can imagine the resulting wig would be a powerful reminder of how much people care for her and want to see her through this!

Here's (http://www.caringandcomfort.com/myownhair.shtml) another website that offers the service of making wigs out of certain hair. They also have a useful article (http://www.caringandcomfort.com/costsaver.shtml) on how to possibly get insurance companies to help cover the cost of a wig.

Hope you find something that works!

lora410
April 24th, 2009, 12:09 PM
When my dad received radiation for his lung cancer he never lost his hair. I gues it is good to lonk into just in case.

Anje
April 24th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Sorry to hear about your mother.

Along with the other options, you might want to do a search to see if there are any local places that make wigs. There's something based out of a house just a few blocks from where I live, for example, though they don't have a website. You might be able to find a place that can make something for your mother locally, or can at least determine whether she has sufficient hair to make a wig from, before she cuts it off.

spidermom
April 24th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I am so sorry to hear this bad news. Not everybody loses their hair during treatment, and if she does, wigs are hot and itchy. She might appreciate silk scarves and light-weight hats more. As pointed out, it takes more than 1 head of hair to make a wig, and the hairs have to be at least 10 inches long.

Shanarana
April 24th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I am so sorry to hear that news. My prayers are with your mother and you.

whiteisle
April 24th, 2009, 01:44 PM
All of your thoughts and prayers are appreciated more than you could ever know.

I'll check into some of the resources you all provided to see what may be an option for us.

Thank you again.......for everything.:blossom:

jera
April 24th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Sorry to hear your mom is ill with cancer. Hugs. I hope she gets through the radiation and chemo with minimal discomfort.

longhairedfairy
April 24th, 2009, 04:05 PM
:grouphug: to you and your mom.

Flynn
April 24th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Oh, love, I'm so sorry to hear that...

The oncoloogy nurses may actually be the best people to speak to find out if, where and how she can get this done affordably and locally. They often have very good information -- both written and verbal -- they can give you to deal with all those "side issues".

*hugs*

ETA: These people (http://savvysheitels.com/zcart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=35_22&disp_order=3), for example, say they'll make a wig with your own hair, though for a full wig it will be $800+ (they give a 20% discount when the hair is supplied). Note that this is just a site I found through google, I'm not endorsing them or anything.

pointydog
April 24th, 2009, 07:14 PM
My good friend has beaten breast cancer. She had radiation and chemo, and never lost her hair. She was 67 when it was diagnosed and had about 6 months of treatments.
Not everyone loses their hair.

I hope it goes well for your mother, will be thinking on you both.

whiteisle
April 24th, 2009, 07:24 PM
My good friend has beaten breast cancer. She had radiation and chemo, and never lost her hair. She was 67 when it was diagnosed and had about 6 months of treatments.
Not everyone loses their hair.

I hope it goes well for your mother, will be thinking on you both.

Thank you for the well wishes. I was unaware that some people do not loose their hair. She is suppose to undergo 6 chemo treatments over 18 weeks and then radiation. Oh, how wonderful for her it would be if she could keep her hair! Of course, hair is secondary to her health but every little positive thing helps. :)

Thank you.

drquartz1970
April 24th, 2009, 07:32 PM
My own mother was diagnosed with breast cancer at 68, underwent 6 months chemo and never lost any hair and recovered. This was 6 years ago.

Might be worth it to wait and see if a wig is needed or not. All the best for your mum in successfully beating the big C.