PDA

View Full Version : What happened to my henna?

Kristine
April 24th, 2009, 07:54 AM
My roots were getting quite visible, so today I decided it was time to henna. I made some camomille tea, got a bag of henna (40g) out of the freezer and put it in the tea until defrozen. Then I mixed in some cassia (80g) and indigo(20g), put it on my head (roots only) and left it for 4 hours.

Result: Nothing. The roots may be a bit more yellow, due to the cassia, but there is no hint of henna.

I didn't use gloves when I put it on, and was suprised when my hands didn't get stained (my nails are still orange at the tip, from last henna in March), but didn't think any more of it until it was time to rinse.

What happened to my henna? Why was there no dye release?

The henna was the same that I used both in march and february, and back then it stained perfectly fine (I mixed the henna in january, and put it in smaller bags that I put in the freezer). I just can't understand why it didn't work today!

Euphony
April 24th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Did you let the henna sit for dye release or did you mix it up and use it immediately?

Kristine
April 24th, 2009, 08:21 AM
The henna was dye released before I froze it, so I didn't wait for dye release again today.

redtea
April 24th, 2009, 09:24 AM
For some reason when I would freeze my henna/cassia mix, it seemed like it had more staining power the first time I used it (about 4 weeks later) and then significantly less each time after that. When I used the same batch for the 3rd time, it barely seemed like it did anything.

BunnyBee
April 24th, 2009, 10:08 AM
The same thing has been happening with my indigo for the past 3 times I've used it, so I'd like an explanation too. I usually don't need to leave it on for more than an hour, but this last time I left it on for 4 hours and still nothing. All I can think is that it could be caused by something else coating the hair like an ingredient in shampoo/conditioner (I don't use 'cones) or a natural treatment (such as catnip rinses) so I'm going to get a clarifying shampoo and try again. Maybe that would work for you?

Norai
April 24th, 2009, 11:00 AM
The same thing has been happening with my indigo for the past 3 times I've used it, so I'd like an explanation too. I usually don't need to leave it on for more than an hour, but this last time I left it on for 4 hours and still nothing. All I can think is that it could be caused by something else coating the hair like an ingredient in shampoo/conditioner (I don't use 'cones) or a natural treatment (such as catnip rinses) so I'm going to get a clarifying shampoo and try again. Maybe that would work for you?

I'm pretty sure that indigo has a fairly fast dye... what do you call it... dye demise? I've heard that the best way to get a good stain with indigo is to mix it, use it immediately, and the stain will have stained as much as its going to within one hour. I think leaving it out for 4 might have killed it.

Don't know about the henna though.

caribou55313
April 24th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I freeze henna paste quite frequently and have noted that it loses potency when it's been in the freezer about 3 months. Maybe that's what happened?

Missie
April 24th, 2009, 06:17 PM
that happened to me once using Jamilla! I followed one of the LHC recipes to the letter and absolutely no staining on skin or gloves or hair. I figured it was a bad batch of henna or the sun burning on my Australian letter box damaged it...

BunnyBee
April 24th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I'm pretty sure that indigo has a fairly fast dye... what do you call it... dye demise? I've heard that the best way to get a good stain with indigo is to mix it, use it immediately, and the stain will have stained as much as its going to within one hour. I think leaving it out for 4 might have killed it.

Don't know about the henna though.

I didn't leave it "out" for 4 hours, I mixed and applied immediately and left it on my hair for 4 hours, and nothing happened :hmm: It's a mystery!

marialena
April 24th, 2009, 07:30 PM
My roots were getting quite visible, so today I decided it was time to henna. I made some camomille tea, got a bag of henna (40g) out of the freezer and put it in the tea until defrozen. Then I mixed in some cassia (80g) and indigo(20g), put it on my head (roots only) and left it for 4 hours.

Result: Nothing. The roots may be a bit more yellow, due to the cassia, but there is no hint of henna.

I didn't use gloves when I put it on, and was suprised when my hands didn't get stained (my nails are still orange at the tip, from last henna in March), but didn't think any more of it until it was time to rinse.

What happened to my henna? Why was there no dye release?

The henna was the same that I used both in march and february, and back then it stained perfectly fine (I mixed the henna in january, and put it in smaller bags that I put in the freezer). I just can't understand why it didn't work today!

Did you used hot water to mix your dyes or not. Think that you had your henna in the freezer. If you used cold water and your henna wasn't well defrozen and perhaps your home was a little bit colder than usual is not strange that didn't dyed your hair.

MadHatter
April 24th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Did you used hot water to mix your dyes or not. Think that you had your henna in the freezer. If you used cold water and your henna wasn't well defrozen and perhaps your home was a little bit colder than usual is not strange that didn't dyed your hair.

My defrosted henna still stains well, even when it's still cold.

OP, perhaps you left your henna out too long before re-freezing following your last touchup?

marialena
April 24th, 2009, 07:50 PM
My dethawed henna still stains well, even when it's still cold.

OP, perhaps you left your henna out too long before re-freezing following your last touchup?

To tell the truth I never freeze or use henna with cold water. I dilute my henna powder with boiled water and then I wait a little to get colder and then I put it immediately on my hair.
I know that in general hair dyes work better with heat ( from head, blow dryer or hot water). I've never diluted henna with something cold or even lukewarm. :confused:

MadHatter
April 24th, 2009, 07:54 PM
To tell the truth I never freeze or use henna with cold water. I dilute my henna powder with boiled water and then I wait a little to get colder and then I put it immediately on my hair.
I know that in general hair dyes work better with heat ( from head, blow dryer or hot water). I've never diluted henna with something cold or even lukewarm. :confused:

If you mix henna with warm water, yes, you'll get faster dye release. But if you freeze it after the dye has released, thaw, and put it on while still cold, it will still stain. The dye is already released.
That's how it works for me, anyway. :)

SimplyLonghair
April 24th, 2009, 07:58 PM
It sounds as if the dye release had just given up in the freezer to me, I have had that happen to me before too.:(

marialena
April 24th, 2009, 08:03 PM
If you mix henna with warm water, yes, you'll get faster dye release. But if you freeze it after the dye has released, thaw, and put it on while still cold, it will still stain. The dye is already released.
That's how it works for me, anyway. :)

I have never tried it this way. I didn't know in fact that you can use it after so much time.
( new tricks.. ! ) Thanks for the tutorial! :)

MadHatter
April 24th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I have never tried it this way. I didn't know in fact that you can use it after so much time.
( new tricks.. ! ) Thanks for the tutorial! :)

Sure! I once stretched a batch out for... probably 5 or 6 months.

Kristine
April 25th, 2009, 02:16 AM
It sounds as if the dye release had just given up in the freezer to me, I have had that happen to me before too.:(
Yeah, I guess. Next time I'll check the henna before using it.