PDA

View Full Version : Yoga hair styles?

tigerlily83
April 23rd, 2009, 05:09 PM
For all of you that practice yoga, and have APL/BSL length hair (even beyond) -

what is your go-to hair style that stays put, even when you're in forward bends and anything where your head is hanging upside down?

My last class I was in, my hair kept getting in the way and was falling out all the time. I am very close to BSL length if that helps. Thanks! :)

Kina
April 23rd, 2009, 05:20 PM
the only one I find helpful, but don't particularly care for is a high ponytail, then braided. Has to sit perfectly on the curve of the skull, or it gets in the way.

I hope somebody has some better ideas than I do, because it's making me nuts :-)

Furiana
April 23rd, 2009, 05:25 PM
Braided pigtails (http://cdn-write.demandstudios.com/upload//8000/900/80/5/18985.jpg). The ends flop around, of course, but the braids don't come out. Most important is the fact that the hair at the back of my head is flat, so it doesn't interrupt my corpse pose.

ETA: If the flopping ends really bother you, you can always loop them up (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dgugtVvLL3c/SV6YMUwfabI/AAAAAAAABdU/4xRu1jxqUx0/s1600-h/november+107.jpg) (warning: links to large photograph!) Granted that this girl is wearing high pigtails, not low ones. :)

More time consuming, but also easy to lay on in corpse pose: heidi braids (http://fileserver.glam.com/glampress/beauty/slideshows/Mary-Kate-Olsen-Braided-Upd.jpg) (without the messy bits)

Quick, but more likely to come loose: side braid (http://mylt.ltcdn.com/files/images/bs-135x135-romign_0.jpg)

Also, sometimes I do a reeeally high bun - on the top of my head! A topknot, I guess. This would be the least likely to fall forward when you do forward bends, but you'd have to secure it pretty well.

chrissy-b
April 23rd, 2009, 05:56 PM
I always do two braided buns or two cinnabuns and place them as high up and as far as I can away from each other. That way I can do shoulder stands without having to twist my head to either side. It works very well for me.

Natalia
April 23rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
When i was dancing and doing yoga for warm ups i usually did a braided bun pinned flat to my head no clips or anything and that stayed through three hours of tap/ballet/modern with leaps and spins.

Elenna
April 23rd, 2009, 06:41 PM
I put my hair in a low ponytail in a barrette. I don't want to think about my hair when doing yoga. Any other hair style makes me crazy when I'm trying to bend, twist, etc.

Buggheart
April 23rd, 2009, 07:54 PM
I use a claw clip and clip it as close to the top of my head as possible it a twist or a knot. I've tried ponytails but kept getting whipped in the face with it when doing downward dog and that got old really quick. The top of the head thing works best for me because I can lay on my back without it hurting. I can't do head or neck stands or anything like that so top of the head works for me. I might try the two braids though, that's a good idea.

Teacherbear
April 23rd, 2009, 08:07 PM
When I was practicing yoga regularly, I wore my hair in a low braid with just a tie at the end. I liked it swinging around me when I moved. If it got in my way I'd tuck it into my top. My hair was between waist and finger tip length at the time (and verrrrry thin).

Indigo Girl
April 23rd, 2009, 11:13 PM
I either do a braid that's doubled up and held back with a scrunchie, or a low bun.

I've found those two to be the most secure for me; on every pose from down dog to headstand - they both hold very well.

rose_in_bloom
April 23rd, 2009, 11:35 PM
My hair is APL and I do yoga almost daily. I've found that two braids work well, or a single french braid.

Arctic_Mama
April 24th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Good old fashioned French braid. It is loose and comfortable and my shorter bits can come out without my hair getting in my way. Most importantly, when I am laying down it does not cause me to pronate my neck in a strange way.

tigerlily83
April 24th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Thank you all so much!! Looks like I'm going to try some kind of braid today before my class. Probably the high pony into a braid or some kind of braided bun. I'd love to do a french braid, even though I know how....just can't do it by myself!

shwankie
April 24th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I second (third? fourth?) the double braided pigtails. To be fair, this is pretty much literally the only style that stays in my fine hair, but it works really well for yoga (which I do almost daily). As someone else said, it's not on the back of my head for inversions and corpse pose. The do come forward when I am doing forward fold, scissors, etc.; but, they're not in my face so they don't bother me much.

natt i nord
April 24th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Has someone an idea for Aikidohairstyles? Didn't want to open a new thread.

A braid is almost too long now, but buns don't work, they're in the way while I'm rolling. A braid gets in the way, but I have to go soon and should think about my hair now... I can't leave my flexibun, I'm afraid the flexi breaks if it gets on the floor while rolling.

Furiana
April 24th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Has someone an idea for Aikidohairstyles? Didn't want to open a new thread.

A braid is almost too long now, but buns don't work, they're in the way while I'm rolling. A braid gets in the way, but I have to go soon and should think about my hair now... I can't leave my flexibun, I'm afraid the flexi breaks if it gets on the floor while rolling.

Maybe a braid doubled over and held with a hairband or scrunchie? That would halve the length.

Maybe that would be too thick, like the buns. ... What about a four- or five-stranded braid? Maybe that would eat up the extra length without creating too much bulk?

Patty lou
April 24th, 2009, 09:22 AM
On our cable TV we have a yoga show called "Inhale" I have seen a few of the ladies wear their hair in high braided double ponytails/ pigtails and some just plain low not braided pigtails, many different styles of multiple hair nots etc.
I did notice the show is taped in California.
None of the hair styles was about a specific race or national origin as all different types of ladies wore them.

Patty lou

natt i nord
April 24th, 2009, 10:26 AM
What about a four- or five-stranded braid? Maybe that would eat up the extra length without creating too much bulk?

That's a good idea, but I can't do fourstranded braids :o

Furiana
April 24th, 2009, 04:19 PM
That's a good idea, but I can't do fourstranded braids :o

I wish I could do it for you! :o

I would try one braid doubled over, then. It might be flat enough and short enough to work. If it doesn't, then you can take out the second hairband and leave your hair in a regular braid for the rest of practice. (It's not ideal, I know, but the braid sounds like your standby hairstyle at this point.)

karenpetal
April 24th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I have been practising yoga since the time I have been growing my hair out
- @ shortie - nothing would help as much as pin tucks/head band
- @ shoulder length - high ponytail using a schrunchie
- @ BSL French Braid - this was most comfortable
- now Tucked French Braid

Hope this helps

akuamoonmaui
October 12th, 2016, 04:13 PM
This is an older thread, but I thought I'd bump it back up in case it's relevant to anyone these days.

I bun it on the top of my head, but then use a thick rubber spiraled hair band. It's wonderful! I can loosen my hair to do inversions, but it also holds securely when I need it to.

meteor
October 12th, 2016, 04:28 PM
I do a braided bun for yoga. I used to do a braided LWB (just like in Haartraum's video of hairstyles for sports: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=930OX7WH-FA), but now it's mostly braided L-Infinity bun since my hair got longer and a bit harder to balance. When needed, I take the bun down and leave the braid hanging. It's easy to re-bun the braid within a few seconds.

animetor7
October 12th, 2016, 07:53 PM
I do a crown braid for yoga, but for running or other athletic activities, any sort of bun that holds well and doesn't move much works. :)

lithostoic
October 12th, 2016, 08:01 PM
I would imagine most buns would work as long as you put them high enough. A lot of yoga puts you flat on your back or upside down so braids wouldn't be ideal. My hair is BSL and my braids are starting to bug me at night. Like there's a bump on the back of my head and my braid gets laid on by my boyfriend. I think I'll have to switch back to buns soon for sleeping.

Mimha
October 13th, 2016, 04:42 AM
I have started some yoga lately, during a fasting holiday week. It was a very slow yoga, mainly on the floor. I found that two braids or braided pigtails were nice (no bump on my nape when I lay on the floor). And to avoid having them moving around and bothering me in my back (my hair is hip length now), I just attached them in front of me at tassel level, like a long necklace. I have quite a sensitive scalp, so I don't like having high buns. Otherwise I would have made two high buns. I might explore some high bun possibilities however, like criss-crossing my braided pigtails up on my head... Sounds like the best option to me.

-Fern
October 13th, 2016, 12:01 PM
Buns are super uncomfortable for me during yoga. My preferred yoga style is a French braid. (more comfortable than Dutch)

Greenfire
October 14th, 2016, 10:16 PM
I braid for yoga, but a single braid in the back is uncomfortable for savasana, and any poses where I am prone. Side braids are perfect, or two braids, but I've also french braided (yes more comfortable than dutch). Braids upside down are no less comfortable than pigtails or buns upside down, or right side up for that matter, but for me, it really is important to get all the hair into whatever style you're going for, because it will be wanting to come out of it. One of the people I go to class with, wears a sock bun on the very top of her head, and unless you're working on headstands, I can't see that being an issue for practice.

But I like braids, they're easy, they're simple, and they just keep the hair out of the way.

animetor7
October 14th, 2016, 10:20 PM
I think braids should work from around BSL to waist. For me, I hate having hair getting in the way, and my hair is a bit past waist braided now, so when I'm trying to do poses it swings everywhere which bothers me. But I'm also very fussy with my hair which is why I keep it up most of the time. :)

Lisa Long4Life
October 15th, 2016, 11:34 AM
I sometimes did a bun on the top of my head with a spin/screw pin but that made it difficult to move from bridge to wheel (which I was trying to learn). If I had a lower bun then corpse pose wasn't comfortable.
Braids more comfortable but floppy.

Llama
October 15th, 2016, 01:45 PM
I wear either a topknot, a side braid, or twin braids when I do yoga. I dont do very hardcore yoga though (no headstands or anything like that)

Cg
October 15th, 2016, 04:00 PM
I do a topknot but remove the stick and let hair fall loose for headstands, wheels, and so on. Of course I do not use someone else's unclean floor.

JulyFun
April 18th, 2019, 12:56 PM
Revivng this thread in case any one has any new ideas. I'm currently doing 2 side braids (english dutch or french depending on how I feel) but I frequently have to move the braids out of the way and I find it distracting. I find buns too heavy if I place them high up on the sides, but they are two big placed low on the sides and I can't do savasana. Braided buns are also not really an option since we do savasana multiple times during the class and I don't have time to redo and undo every few poses.