PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Henna color (pics)

marajade
April 23rd, 2009, 04:30 PM
I NEED HELP :(.

Ok- so I've made the plunge and purchased 2 oz of BAQ henna from my local store and I've been saving up hairball clumps. :D I've done a lot of research about this over several months so I am at this point ready to do some strand tests. . .

That being said I'm a little lost. I am mostly dying my hair for me and I have loved red hair my whole life but my boyfriend also wants me to dye my hair and he has specific haircolor in mind.

I know I don't want burgundy red. Both BF and I are in agreement on that. Burgundy/purplish reds are pretty but I know they aren't for me. This is my one fear is that it will turn burgundy. If this happens I will be very very unhappy with my hair.

I really want a mid tone natural looking red or an orangey red. Something like this is what BF requested:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3214711040/nm0857215 (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3214711040/nm0857215)

What color would you call this? I was thinking I would try one batch of 1/2 cassia (already have some from hennasooq) and 1/2 henna- do you think this would be a good way to start?

To give you all some perspective my hair is a carmely light brown- with quite a lot of blonde/golden tones. It has a red sheen to it already and my underlayer is quite a midtone brown.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=306&pictureid=36147

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=306&pictureid=35208

I was also considering after I did the strand tests of starting out with a henna gloss.

I would really love some feedback/help. Thank you so much in advance!!

Islandgrrl
April 23rd, 2009, 04:53 PM
A henna gloss might be a good place to start. I don't think it will take all that much red to give you the color you're looking for. But be sure to do strand tests and make sure to take pictures so you can compare what the hair looks like freshly hennaed against what it looks like once it's oxidized a day or two later.

marajade
April 23rd, 2009, 04:55 PM
A henna gloss might be a good place to start. I don't think it will take all that much red to give you the color you're looking for. But be sure to do strand tests and make sure to take pictures so you can compare what the hair looks like freshly hennaed against what it looks like once it's oxidized a day or two later.

Thank you for the response :)- you henna correct? - what was/is your mix and what haircolor was your hair before? Yours is definitely a pretty shade!

Tap Dancer
April 23rd, 2009, 04:57 PM
No advice; sorry. I just had to tell you that your hair is absolutely beautiful! :inlove:

marajade
April 23rd, 2009, 04:59 PM
No advice; sorry. I just had to tell you that your hair is absolutely beautiful! :inlove:

Aw thank you! :D:o

manderly
April 23rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
I agree a gloss is a good place to start.......but I think a half and half mix with cassia would also get you that color.

marajade
April 23rd, 2009, 05:17 PM
I agree a gloss is a good place to start.......but I think a half and half mix with cassia would also get you that color.

Thanks for the response!

iris
April 23rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
Man, your hair is beautiful. So shiny! I love the texture. And the color. I wouldn't touch that color if it were me, but - it's not me.

I agree that a gloss is probably all you need to get to the color you linked to, you do have a lot of natural red. Start with only a little bit, like one or two teaspoons of powder - with henna, you can always put more in, but you can't get it out ;).

manderly
April 23rd, 2009, 06:16 PM
Whoops, re-read my answer. NOT half and half......sorry! Do cassia with like tablespoons of henna.

I agree with Iris, build up little by little with the henna until you reach the color you want. :)

Buggheart
April 23rd, 2009, 07:37 PM

Ditto. Wow. I'm so jealous :)

SimplyLonghair
April 23rd, 2009, 07:58 PM
I agree that you have lovely hair already! If you want a little more red the tablespoon of henna is a good place to start.

I only use about 2 to 3 tablespoons with water and rice flour to do my hair. But I don't use cassia, but I am considering it just to tone the red down the same way that my DDad's has over the years, but still not show the silvers, at least not yet. LOL

I would use small amounts and add it in layers until you get the exact color that you desire. It is very hard to lighten up the henna, so it is best to go slowly.:D

Islandgrrl
April 23rd, 2009, 08:11 PM
Thank you for the response :)- you henna correct? - what was/is your mix and what haircolor was your hair before? Yours is definitely a pretty shade!

I do henna, yes. I use a mix of 75% cassia to 25% henna. Warm water. That's all.

I'm a natural redhead. I just use henna to cover the grey I'm not grown up enough to deal with. :)

Thank you for the nice hair compliment.

Themyst
April 23rd, 2009, 08:12 PM
As I understood it, BAQ henna provides more of a burgundy tone.

I wonder if anyone else remembers reading that?:confused:

SimplyLonghair
April 23rd, 2009, 08:23 PM

On some hair yes but not on mine:D LOL Mine is much more Lucille Ball in colour, especially right after a henna.:rolleyes: But that is the colour that I want, it is redder than mine used to be, but it is the exact colour of my DDad's beard when I was small. I loved his beard color and alway wished mine was that red and now it is, hehehe:cheese::cheese::cheese:

marajade
April 23rd, 2009, 08:24 PM
Man, your hair is beautiful. So shiny! I love the texture. And the color. I wouldn't touch that color if it were me, but - it's not me.

I agree that a gloss is probably all you need to get to the color you linked to, you do have a lot of natural red. Start with only a little bit, like one or two teaspoons of powder - with henna, you can always put more in, but you can't get it out ;).

Ditto. Wow. I'm so jealous :)

Thank you! :o

Velouria
April 23rd, 2009, 10:51 PM

BAQ henna often becomes burgundy sooner (with less applications and/or less application time) than other hennas, but that's only because it's stronger. Any henna will eventually lead to burgundy tones with repeated applications, unless it's very stale and/or weak henna.

You can also stay in the coppery/subtle range using BAQ as long as you dilute the henna enough, and/or leave on briefly.

Nightshade
April 24th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I'm also recommending the henna/cassia gloss route. And once you get the color you want, make sure you switch to roots only touchups, that should keep it from darkening :)

marajade
April 24th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I'm also recommending the henna/cassia gloss route. And once you get the color you want, make sure you switch to roots only touchups, that should keep it from darkening :)

Thanks for replying! :D

melrose1985
April 24th, 2009, 11:15 AM
i must say your hair is beautiful... really it's kind of like my dream hair! I think a gloss is a good place to start too. I know for me i did two full hennas and i actually did let it dye release to long (enough so on my arm i i got a slighty orange stain on my skin) and i didnt get to much red... just enough. I know in my siggy it looks black and red but that's with a flash in normal light it looks more brown red.

marajade
April 29th, 2009, 03:30 PM
i must say your hair is beautiful... really it's kind of like my dream hair! I think a gloss is a good place to start too. I know for me i did two full hennas and i actually did let it dye release to long (enough so on my arm i i got a slighty orange stain on my skin) and i didnt get to much red... just enough. I know in my siggy it looks black and red but that's with a flash in normal light it looks more brown red.

Thank you for the compliment and the advice! :o

spidermom
April 29th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I agree that you have gorgeous hair. Good luck on your quest for perfect color.

Tangles
April 29th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Be wary of going too orange, it doesn't matter how much your BF likes it, not everyone's skin tone suits orange. I think your natural color is lovely and would be beautifully enhanced with a gloss.

Kitara
April 29th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I'm going to have to echo what others have said about doing a gloss. You have a lovely color already and I think you'd be happier enhancing your gorgeous locks rather than totally changing them. Plus, you may find colors you enjoy more along the way.
Now I'm off to go pop an asprin, cause the shine from you locks gave me a headache ;)

milemma
April 30th, 2009, 09:38 AM
gorgeous hair and gorgeous color, I'm jealous !

rach
April 30th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Be wary of going too orange, it doesn't matter how much your BF likes it, not everyone's skin tone suits orange.
worth noting re-colour-
i found that with myself, deeper henna shades seemed to suit my skin tone and eyes better so just kept reapplicating till until i was happy with the colour.
do it slowly and see how you like it and remember it takes a week to settle .
you've got lovley hair btw :blossom:

Shermie Girl
April 30th, 2009, 07:04 PM
You have knockout hair. :D

I agree with some other posters, a henna/cassia gloss would probably get you to a warm, coppery red. Then root touch ups to maintain, with an occasional full head when your overall colour needs freshening. (With henna, that isn't often... That stuff doesn't fade, much. :lol:)

Your hair probably won't turn out as light as the girl in the pic you linked to. In your pictures, your overall tone looks a bit darker than hers and henna can't lighten hair. It can only deposit colour. But, you should still get a beautiful warm, coppery colour. :D

KajiKodomo
May 1st, 2009, 09:35 AM
I don't have any advice either, but wanted to chime in to say that your hair is beautiful! :D