PDA

View Full Version : Effects of panthenol?

Rebelkat
April 23rd, 2009, 02:47 PM
I've recently noticed that many *not all* cone-free conditioners contain panthenol. I've always been under the impression that it coats the hair in a similar manner to how cones coat hair, although I cannot remember how I ended up with that impression. Does it actually do that or am I mistaken?

I read something recently that made me think that it could be water-soluble, which would mean that it probably doesn't coat hair like cones do. Have I been trying to avoid this ingredient with no real reason for all this time?

JamieLeigh
April 23rd, 2009, 03:11 PM
Not sure, but Wikipedia says it's a form of vitamin B5. Can't be all bad, in that case. Another form of panthenol is pantothenic acid, which is in my Hair, Skin & Nails multivit. So I'm hoping it's good for you!! lol......

Flaxen
April 23rd, 2009, 04:28 PM
Yup, it does coat the hair, making it ever so slightly thicker and supposedly stronger, too. The bad news is that several of us wavies and curlies have noticed that it is a terrible wave killer, making the hair very limp and lank, especially with repeated use. :(

ArumiKusari
April 23rd, 2009, 04:42 PM
I cant really tell if having panthenol in products or not makes a difference, as all of mine do have it. But from what I learned while making my own cosmetics, panthenol is solutable in water and alcohols, so I don't think it can coat hair.
But I'm not all that sure what it does to hair, since I heard here and there that it's no good. But I cant thing of a logical explanation for that

Peter
April 23rd, 2009, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure if it should be avoided, but I can tell you that it's water-soluble for sure.

Rebelkat
April 24th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Yup, it does coat the hair, making it ever so slightly thicker and supposedly stronger, too. The bad news is that several of us wavies and curlies have noticed that it is a terrible wave killer, making the hair very limp and lank, especially with repeated use. :(
Ick! I'd hate to lose my waves! I'm just getting them back! *strokes waves* Perhaps that's one of the reasons I was always convinced I was supposed to have straight hair?

Darscilla
April 24th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I've read somewhere (not here) that panthenol 'fills in the gaps' in the cuticle, thus supposedly making it stronger, which makes me wonder if it might actually be more akin to protein than cones? Any experts verify this? Does panthenol actually strengthen hair in the way hydrolized (sp?) proteins do, and if so could it be used interchangeably with protein? I was thinking this might be useful for folks whose hair doesn't like protein.
Or I could be completely confused :p

swirlytresses
April 24th, 2009, 09:12 AM
This is interesting.

"Because panthenol binds well to hair follicles, and attracts moisture from the air, it is a moisturizing agent used in shampoos and conditioners. It lubricates the hair without feeling greasy. It smoothes roughened hair surfaces, making them shiny and easier to comb. Panthenol does not "nourish" hair. It coats it to make it slippery. "

"It is well soluble in water, alcohol (http://www.answers.com/topic/ethanol) and propylene glycol (http://www.answers.com/topic/propylene-glycol), soluble in ether (http://www.answers.com/topic/diethyl-ether) and chloroform (http://www.answers.com/topic/chloroform), and slightly soluble in glycerin (http://www.answers.com/topic/glycerol)"

jera
April 24th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Panthenol is a form of vitamin B and the B vitamins are all water soluble. I've never had a problem with panthenol. I love the slip it gives my hair, like a cone condish but without the product buildup and the fear of the dry crunchies. :p

SleepySin
May 7th, 2009, 10:38 PM
PANTHENOL
Hair Conditioning Agent; ANTISTATIC; SKIN CONDITIONING

This ingredient may be derived from animals. From PETA's Caring Consumer: Can come from animal or plant sources or synthetics. In shampoos, supplements, emollients, etc. In foods. Derivative: Panthenyl. Alternatives: synthetics, plants.

Multiple, additive exposure sources
Used in food or as an additive with limited or no toxicity information available

Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
One or more animal studies show broad systemic effects at high doses (low dose studies may be unavailable for this ingredient)

More details: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=704436

Lile
May 8th, 2009, 04:05 PM
All I know about panthenol(B5) is that it's great for hair growth!Where I come from, those obsessed about hair growth(like me:).ok,just a bit)use panthenol spray(generally used for wounds)on hair as a pack.
It gives lustrous growth!:p
So it can't be that bad.

redcelticcurls
June 29th, 2009, 02:02 AM
This stuff gives me dry frizzy hair, just like protein. I avoid it since it acts like protein on me.

I know there are curlies who like the humectant properties of panthenol though.

I do think it's an interesting ingredient since I have seen it listed as an emollient and as a humectant. I never know if it's multi-purpose, or if there just isn't a clear enough undertstanding of it to place it into once category.

concrescence
June 29th, 2009, 04:39 AM
I'm not a fan of the panthenol (as a topical ingredient, that is) or most other humectants. It tends to make my hair very lank but also a bit frizzy, and it takes out my wave. And since I CO, I prefer not to use anything that coats my hair (even if only temporarily). I actually don't like glycerin much, either, for the same reason, but it seems that practically all cone-free conditioners have panthenol and/or glycerin, so I choose the lesser of two bads for my hair. I wish Germany had as large of a selection of inexpensive cone-free conditioners as the US.

Taking B5 internally, however, is great! The B vitamins are important for hair and skin, fertility, and mental health.

abritta3
June 29th, 2009, 07:38 AM
In the Curly Girl book by Lorraine Massey she lists several bad and good ingredients. Panthenol was under the good ones. Personally, I use it everyday in my CO only routine (with VO5) and I don't notice that it pulls out my curls.
I used to use different variations of Suave, which does not have panthenol and, again, I didn't notice in difference in the switch.:D Hope this helps.