PDA

View Full Version : Great use for hair clippings

goodluckcharm
April 23rd, 2009, 12:22 PM
I found this program that uses discarded hair clippings from salons to make mats that help soak up oil spills. I think it's such a great idea! I just assumed hair clippings would always be thrown away.

http://www.matteroftrust.org/programs/hairmatsinfo.html

eyesofsummer
April 23rd, 2009, 12:27 PM
Yay! I'm glad someone else has heard of this. I've been saving my sheds and itty bitty clippings for over six months now, and I'm really surprised how much hair I've actually accumulated! I can only imagine how much clipped hair salons must have every day.

I plan on sending my gatherings to them after a whole year or so has passed.
The best things about the mats is that they're reusable...somewhere on the site it says they can be wrung out and used over and over again! :D

KajiKodomo
April 23rd, 2009, 12:32 PM
Wow, this is awesome! :D

mooglewoo
April 23rd, 2009, 12:35 PM
That is awesome. I've sent the link to two friends who are stylists. I'm curious to see how much I can save. It doesn't seem like a lot at the time, but imagine after a few trims....

enfys
April 23rd, 2009, 01:58 PM
Is there anything similar in the UK or even elsewhere in Europe?

Sending it air mail seems counter productive...

Nightshade
April 23rd, 2009, 02:51 PM
You can donate clean pet hair as well, so for those of you with Furminators (http://www.furminator.com/), save the fuzz and send it in!

JamieLeigh
April 23rd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Wow, that's such a great idea! I never thought about saving clipped hair for anything. :D

Carolyn
April 23rd, 2009, 03:14 PM
You can donate clean pet hair as well, so for those of you with Furminators (http://www.furminator.com/), save the fuzz and send it in!Oh my! I've always joked that there should be a use for all the shed doggy hair at my house. I'm saving my shed hair from my brush to stuff a pin cushion some day.

Jessikinz
April 23rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
haha that is a neat idea!

mugglemomof3
April 23rd, 2009, 03:30 PM
How cool!!!

<hijack> eyesofsummer: you have a GORGEOUS siggy photo!!! :heartbeat <end hijack>

Copasetic
April 23rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
Someone mentioned this organization to me ages ago, and I could never remember the name. Thanks for posting this.

I like that they take any kind of hair, even if it has been coloured, or isn`t in the greatest condition.

Addy
April 23rd, 2009, 06:12 PM
I've never heard of this but I think it's a fabulous idea! :D I think if I ever decide to whap it off <never> I'd rather donate to this than LOL anyday! :cool: ATleast I'd know it was going to a good use!

Fencai
April 23rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
that's pretty cool! I usually use the clippings in our house in the garden to keep the squirrels out of my flower beds! *peeks out window to make sure there are none in there now*

Teacherbear
April 23rd, 2009, 08:13 PM
Great idea! I wish I'd known of it a year or two ago when I was losing hair by the fistful every day!!! Seriously!

HairyCarrie
April 23rd, 2009, 08:45 PM
How timely this thread is! My DD had her hair cut tonight at a Paul Mitchell teaching salon. We took a bag with us to gather the hair for use for oil slicks. An instructor was already collecting cut hair for the same reason so DD donated hers to the growing pile. I got the idea to do that from LHC and DD felt good knowing it would go for a useful purpose.

And BTW, even with just 18" of hair, I'm now the LONGHAIR in the family! :gabigrin:

AutumnLeaves
April 24th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Thanks for that link! I have a dog that I can brush tons of hair off of each and every day...!

Kat
July 19th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Oh, wow. Something to do with all the hair I shed! Me AND the kittybeast! And whenever I cut the boi's hair.

Anyone seen a new address for them lately? I see on their site that they posted a message in April about them moving and don't send anything until they post their new address, but they haven't posted the new address. Surely they'd have moved by now?

Silver & Gold
July 19th, 2009, 08:06 AM
And finally an answer to those asking if you are planning to donate your hair to Locks of Love. Now you can tell them that you send your clippings to Matter of Trust! Yay!

Paper Moon
July 19th, 2009, 11:36 AM
That's really cool! What a great use for something we just throw out.

On another note, I love how that website states, "Any hair is fine, but only HEAD hair please." You know if that's there it means someone sent a bag of... something else. :rollin: