PDA

View Full Version : Cones???? Proteins???

cleanbug
April 23rd, 2009, 08:25 AM
Hi there, question about cones. I was wondering, if shampoo every other day, is it still bad to use conditioner with cones? or silicone sprays? I find my hair is easier to comb through after a little silicone spray is misted on. However, if I am permanently sealing in/out moisture by using silicone spray, then I will discontinue.

Also, I am currently using GPB Aubrey Organics protien conditioner...I have read that some protiens can somehow make the hair feel more brittle? Is this true?
Thanks
Tami
http://ilovehenna.tripod.com/

Anje
April 23rd, 2009, 09:15 AM
Silicone isn't necessarily evil, and quite a lot of folks here like it, even to CO wash with. Silicone spray can definitely make hair easier to comb, too (unless you get one that doesn't work, like I did, and went back to my old cone-free standby really quickly).

If you like the silicones and you aren't having problems with them, by all means use the products you like. Be aware that they can hide damage which you could discover later if you go cone-free, and they can seal out moisture. However, sulfate shampoo (for silicones, I'd tend to stick with the shampoo that matches the conditioner, which is hopefully formulated to remove the buildup) should remove the silicones again, allowing moisture in.

Proteins make my hair feel tangly and rough, and can make hair brittle/not sufficiently stretchy if you overdo them. But again, what doesn't work for me might be great for you. If you like what you're using, keep it up!

cleanbug
April 23rd, 2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks, Anje, for your reply. The reason I question the protien (GBP Aubrey) conditioner is because the first day I use it (after using cheapo grocery conditioner) my hair feels awsome. However, after a few washes with it, my hair feels sort of rough. This hair thing takes some figuring, hey?

Eventually, I'll settle into a routine that works. Thanks
Tami

RancheroTheBee
April 23rd, 2009, 10:37 AM
I don't think I would have gotten past pixie without 'cones. As long as you occasionally clarify, you're in the clear.

And like Anje, I'm not a big protein fan, either, though occasionally, it's very helpful.

As for feeling dry a few days after, have you tried using a leave-in or oils?