PDA

View Full Version : Even a regular English braid hurts!!!!

Curlsgirl
April 23rd, 2009, 08:22 AM
:rant: I am frustrated. Maybe it has something to do with allergy season but lately I seem to not get my hair up in any kind of style that will not pull on my scalp and give me a headache! I know this has been posted to death but I just had to vent. Even when I do a regular braid I bring it over my head and finish and then when I put it back down it always pulls those few hairs in the middle and I cannot get it to stop. I guess I should try doing it over my shoulder to finish. Today I put it up in a Figure 8 with a couple of Amish pins and THAT even is hurting!!! Course my headache was already started.

Okay sorry for rant but just had to get it out. Comments, suggestions, sympathy??? :o

zift
April 23rd, 2009, 08:30 AM
Hi there,
That's the reason why I had to cut my hair back. I couldn't do any buns I couldn'2 do ponytails and even braids. Everything was pulling my scalp heavy and although 1/3 of it was shaved from the nape. Now I'm happy that it's much lighter but I love long hair so much that I still miss my hair. I hope your pain will pass and you'll find a comfortable style:flowers:

Kuchen
April 23rd, 2009, 08:30 AM
If you're tense in your jaw, your face, your neck, that could be having an effect on your scalpskin. Maybe try a good massage?

Curlsgirl
April 23rd, 2009, 08:52 AM
If you're tense in your jaw, your face, your neck, that could be having an effect on your scalpskin. Maybe try a good massage?

I do that from time to time because yes I do have a lot of tension there and an old whiplash injury that acts up from time to time. But this is from my scalp I can tell because I can feel where it is pulling. I just can't seem to get it to quit!

Zift, so sorry you are missing your long hair. I am not cutting anytime soon for sure. I am going to try to learn some new braided updos. I think distributing the weight would help. I am just so updo-klutzy. :(

Anje
April 23rd, 2009, 09:06 AM
You have my sympathy -- I have those days when everything pulls a few hairs. Go let your hair down, take a pain reliever and some caffeine and perhaps something for the allergies. When the headache and/or frustration fade, you can try a braid again.

enfys
April 23rd, 2009, 10:04 AM
I get days like this.

Something to remember is if it hurts because it's pulling that also means it's possibly damaging your hair. If that's the case wearing it loose or in a loosely tied ponytail might be wise because it will cause less damage.

I've been wearing this bun today and found it super comfy; you should easily be able to do it at waist and if you don't have sticks handy use a pen!

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm169/savuinen/?action=view&current=j001.flv

I know the video was by someone off here, but I saved it to favourites. It's loose but secure iykwim.

Aisha25
April 23rd, 2009, 10:20 AM
I too suffer everyday from this even regular braids makes my shoulders neck and head hurt at times. SO sorry I know how you feel:sad:

Ursula
April 23rd, 2009, 10:27 AM
What are you doing to treat your allergies? I've occasionally had days like this, but treating the allergies was far more effective in headache control than anything that I could do to my hair. The hair might be the straw-weight that is the final trigger for the headache, but 99% of the cause is the allergy symptoms.

I find the 12-hour sudafed tablets to be quite useful - one in the morning and one at night controls symptoms all day, and I don't have to remember to take more all day long, or have the symptoms coming and going as the medicine wears off every few hours.

Anje
April 23rd, 2009, 10:38 AM
Concerning Sudafed -- I recommend going through the hassle of getting real pseudoephedrine. The phenylephrine stuff that they sell OTC now does absolutely nothing for me. (My MIL thinks it's better than pseudoephedrine, but she can keep it. It may be placebo effect for her, but there's nothing wrong with placebos if they work for you.)

Curlsgirl
April 23rd, 2009, 10:44 AM
Don't think it's damaging my hair but thanks!

Oh the allergies, I have had them all my life and use a prescription spray because EVERY other OTC pill or prescription (even the "non-drowsy" ones) interract with another medicine I take and it's NOT good. The spray keeps most of them at bay but this year I have had more sinus headaches than usual (can pretty much only take tylenol for this which helps NOT) as ibuprofin causes stomach problems for me as well as naproxen. I live in the allergy capital of the U.S. no REALLY. I work in the city rated top in allergies in the nation this year.

Ponytails (even loose ones) are worse than anything else probably so that is NOT an answer! I did rest at lunch, take my hair down, drink some caffeine and let the tylenol work and then put my hair back up in a Figure 8 and it feels better. I need to remember to take breaks from the computer too.

Curlsgirl
April 23rd, 2009, 10:48 AM
I get days like this.

Something to remember is if it hurts because it's pulling that also means it's possibly damaging your hair. If that's the case wearing it loose or in a loosely tied ponytail might be wise because it will cause less damage.

I've been wearing this bun today and found it super comfy; you should easily be able to do it at waist and if you don't have sticks handy use a pen!

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm169/savuinen/?action=view&current=j001.flv

I know the video was by someone off here, but I saved it to favourites. It's loose but secure iykwim.Thanks! I'll try this later. Generally buns aren't comfortable for me when I have headaches but I'll give it a whirl anyway.

spidermom
April 23rd, 2009, 10:51 AM
Does the one braid over the shoulder style hurt, too? I can completely relate to this - sometimes I get so sore at the nape of my neck and can't stand for my hair to touch it, I also can't stand the pulling from putting it up. Lose-lose days; I hate 'em.

Curlsgirl
April 23rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
Does the one braid over the shoulder style hurt, too? I can completely relate to this - sometimes I get so sore at the nape of my neck and can't stand for my hair to touch it, I also can't stand the pulling from putting it up. Lose-lose days; I hate 'em.

Well I can't exactly braid it that way without bringing it up over my head. I NEED to learn I guess, maybe that would make a difference but yes it does hurt it that way when it's really bad.

Shermie Girl
April 23rd, 2009, 01:06 PM
You have my sympathy. Even as nastyshort as my hair is, right now, when I braid it, I get those full hairs that pull. Every time. When my hair was long, it was even worse. And it didn't matter if I braided up over my head, over my shoulder or down my back as best I could. I still got those stupid pull-y hairs.

Sometimes I can make a braid a bit more comfy by inserting my fingers into the base of the braid and pulling out and spreading my fingers a bit to loosen things up a bit. But it is hit or miss if that will work.

Presto
April 23rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
I can't do damp bunning or damp updos of any sort. That always always always results in one or two hairs pulling. If I can get slack into those hairs, other hairs start pulling.
I really really can't stand stuff pulling on the top of my scalp. Yowch! If I can secure an updo using tension only on the back of my head or the nape, then I'm fine.
Do you have any areas on your head that don't mind tension? Maybe you can find hairdos that put the weight there instead?
How about half ups? Out of your face, but not as much yanking on your scalp?

I feel your pain, and hope you find a solution.

spidermom
April 23rd, 2009, 01:45 PM
You don't need to bring it over your head. I meant comb your hair so that all of it is in front of one shoulder (either side, doesn't matter), separate it into however many strands you want to work with, braid. You don't have to lift your hands higher than shoulder for this. It's one hair style I can almost always tolerate.

ginalaurie
April 23rd, 2009, 02:09 PM
I feel for you, Curlsgirl! When mine does this I either do the shoulder braid thing like Spidermom said or go loose. However, I've learned a new braid that doesn't pull nearly as bad as the English braid does and that's the one I do almost all the time now. I'm not sure what it's called, but I learned it somewhere here. Instead of dividing your hair into 3 parts as it's hanging down your back, you comb the top part back like you were going to do a half-up, then section the part still hanging down into two sections, then braid like normal. This really takes the pressure off the nape of your neck hairs. Anyone know what this is called? I like the way it looks on me better than an English braid. It looks sort of like a French braid.

Hope you feel better!

SimplyLonghair
April 23rd, 2009, 03:26 PM
Curlsgirl, I feel your pain, those days are bad.

I have sinus migraines so I really do understand. Even just breathing hurts.

On allergy days I use a loose bun that I put up with smaller jaw clips. I find that for me I just don't get the pulling that I was with hairpins or sticks. The weight is better balanced because I use as many as I need to gather it. And I use more than a couple of hairs that I seemed to get by using hairpins.

Any loose bun style would work. It seems very light on my head this way.

I have also used combs or slides for this style for the same light feel.

Hope that you find something that works for you.

Hugs!

UncommonTart
April 23rd, 2009, 03:40 PM
Have you tried anything where the weight of your hair is resting on top of your head? A very high bun (think ballerina style) or carefully pinned-up Heidi style braids work for me when I have a headache. There's less pull (almost none really), because your hair is mostly "sitting" on the top of your head, rather than "hanging" from the back of it. This works for me with both migraines and sinus headaches, though if I'm getting a migraine I pretty much have to do the hair as soon as I feel it coming on, since I'm not really capable once the pain hits full force.

Rosepatrice
April 23rd, 2009, 03:45 PM
I am sorry you are going though this.

I have a sensitive scalp always after I eat something I'm allergic to. Isn't that interesting?

Just thought I would through that out there.

Sometimes my scalp feels like a big bruise. This is so uncomfortable to wear any up type of style at all. Then when I think of my emotions and the food I've eaten, it all adds up!

Just my two cents for all it's worth.

Listen, you also have over three times the amount of hair I have, so I can't even imagine the pain that would cause all pulling on the scalp.!!

Curlsgirl
April 23rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks so much everyone for the ideas and the sympathy!!! I really am going to try the things you mentioned that I haven't. :flowers:

Lamb
April 23rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
So sorry to hear about your headaches, Curlsgirl. :( I definitely think that tension in your neck, jaw, facial muscles can aggravate or even cause such a thing.

Have you thought about wearing your hair in a snood? Not an updo, but you'd still have your hair out of the way. Just an idea. :)

Heavenly Locks
April 24th, 2009, 02:52 AM
If you want your hair up/back out of the way but can't find a style to wear without pulling, have you thought about trying a scarf or bandanna maybe?

Isilme
April 24th, 2009, 03:08 AM
does a dutch or french braid cause pulling too? Can you start a braid with a ponytail base? If so, maybe try to wrap two braids around your head.

Ursula
April 24th, 2009, 04:25 AM
I know you said you can't take the new non-drowsy allergy medicines, but can you take benadryl? I find that if I take benadryl at night (when I can sleep off the side-effect of sleepyness) it relieves the pressure enough so I don't feel too bad durning the day.

Also, if your health insurance will cover it, you might want to see an allergist. Getting a formal diagnosis of what you are allergic to may help you fix your enviornment, and there may be newer prescription medicines that would help. Also, allergy shots can be beneficial for long-term management of the problem.

walkinglady
April 25th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Have you tried anything where the weight of your hair is resting on top of your head? A very high bun (think ballerina style) or carefully pinned-up Heidi style braids work for me when I have a headache. There's less pull (almost none really), because your hair is mostly "sitting" on the top of your head, rather than "hanging" from the back of it. This works for me with both migraines and sinus headaches, though if I'm getting a migraine I pretty much have to do the hair as soon as I feel it coming on, since I'm not really capable once the pain hits full force.

UncommonTart, thanks for posting this. I don't know why I never tried something that makes so much sense. I have the hair pull thing going on today. Nothing was making my scalp happy. I tried your suggestion with a very high bun (Spidermom's the bun that stays)and even though there is still a slight sinus headache the pull on my scalp is gone and I fell human again!

My other hairstyle that helps when nothing else does (besides loose) is an over the shoulder braid that spidermom already described.

Kiraela
April 25th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Oh thank you for this thread!! I am going to try some of these suggestions, myself... Anything to make my head stop hurting so often!

Something I've found to work sometimes, is to tie my hair back with a loose scarf (cross over the front hairline, around the back of the head beneath the hair,and tie the ends over the hair, catching it in a loose loop. that way it's sort of up, sort of down, not pulling but not in the way either.

Honey39
April 25th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Why don't you wear your hair loose for a while? I know it's not ideal, but honestly, that's the one way that is guaranteed with me to not hurt in any way at all.

I'm so sorry, it sounds really miserable at the moment.

lynnala
April 25th, 2009, 03:23 PM
How about just a very loose braid thrown over your shoulder so your shoulder takes the brunt of the weight? I have very thin hair, but when I have a migraine I know exactly what you mean, even the slightest pull on my head hurts. The other option would be to maybe pile your hair way on top of your head so that gravity is not pulling it down by the roots?

Kiraela
April 25th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I just thought of another suggestion, for those of us whose hair is long enough. Very loosely braid or ponytail your hair straight down your back, and drape the tail over your shoulder, but so that some is still hanging behind you. for me, at least, this cuts the weight of my hair by half or so, and the braid trick sometimes even pushes the hair up just slightly, rather than pulling down. That's infinitely useful if it's just a few too-tight strands that are causing the problems.

UncommonTart
April 27th, 2009, 01:38 PM
UncommonTart, thanks for posting this. I don't know why I never tried something that makes so much sense. I have the hair pull thing going on today. Nothing was making my scalp happy. I tried your suggestion with a very high bun (Spidermom's the bun that stays)and even though there is still a slight sinus headache the pull on my scalp is gone and I fell human again!

My other hairstyle that helps when nothing else does (besides loose) is an over the shoulder braid that spidermom already described.

I'm glad to have been of help!

Yeesha
April 27th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I know how you feel...
I get a headache when I make an updo with a ponytail-base od a high ponytail...

Have you tried to do TWO loose braids instead of one? Or even more? I think, that could help, if they are done loosely...

Jessica Trapp
April 27th, 2009, 06:45 PM
:grouphug:hugs! I found that a crown braid where most of the weight is on top of my head rather than in the back prevents headaches. Sorry you are suffering.

Curlsgirl
April 27th, 2009, 07:18 PM
So sorry to hear about your headaches, Curlsgirl. :( I definitely think that tension in your neck, jaw, facial muscles can aggravate or even cause such a thing.

Have you thought about wearing your hair in a snood? Not an updo, but you'd still have your hair out of the way. Just an idea. :)Well no actually I like snoods on other people but not on me. Thanks!!!

If you want your hair up/back out of the way but can't find a style to wear without pulling, have you thought about trying a scarf or bandanna maybe?I do this at home but at work it wouldn't really be appropriate, a bandana anyway. I guess i could try a scarf but that wouldn't really pull it all the way up.

does a dutch or french braid cause pulling too? Can you start a braid with a ponytail base? If so, maybe try to wrap two braids around your head.No ponytail bases are even worse. But yes sometimes a french braid is better but not when the headaches are severe.

I know you said you can't take the new non-drowsy allergy medicines, but can you take benadryl? I find that if I take benadryl at night (when I can sleep off the side-effect of sleepyness) it relieves the pressure enough so I don't feel too bad durning the day.

Also, if your health insurance will cover it, you might want to see an allergist. Getting a formal diagnosis of what you are allergic to may help you fix your enviornment, and there may be newer prescription medicines that would help. Also, allergy shots can be beneficial for long-term management of the problem.Yeah I have had those done. I have allergies to everything on the planet almost :rolleyes: As I said, the medicines (even Benedryl) interfere with another medicine I am on and I can't take it really unless I want to pay for it later. It's not good. I do use a spray that helps a lot (prescription) but it doesn't really help the headaches, just the nasal allergies mostly.

Why don't you wear your hair loose for a while? I know it's not ideal, but honestly, that's the one way that is guaranteed with me to not hurt in any way at all.

I'm so sorry, it sounds really miserable at the moment.Yeah I do that but it has been so dry lately I am trying to wear it up. Also, the length is starting to get caught in everything if I wear it down :mad:

How about just a very loose braid thrown over your shoulder so your shoulder takes the brunt of the weight? I have very thin hair, but when I have a migraine I know exactly what you mean, even the slightest pull on my head hurts. The other option would be to maybe pile your hair way on top of your head so that gravity is not pulling it down by the roots?Yeah I do that too sometimes but again, almost everything hurts at times.

I know how you feel...
I get a headache when I make an updo with a ponytail-base od a high ponytail...

Have you tried to do TWO loose braids instead of one? Or even more? I think, that could help, if they are done loosely...Yes but they don't stay very well if I do them THAT loosely. I do it at home though sometimes. Just looks too messy at work.

:grouphug:hugs! I found that a crown braid where most of the weight is on top of my head rather than in the back prevents headaches. Sorry you are suffering.I can't do a crown braid but I guess I need to learn. Is my hair long enough though? It's about 33 inches.

Ursula
May 1st, 2009, 09:23 PM
Another idea...

Have you tried using a neti pot? Just plain salt water (use non-iodinized salt), so it shouldn't interfere with your meds. Used regularly when your sinuses are acting up, it may help reduce the pressure enough to avoid headaches.