PDA

View Full Version : Clairol Metalex Conditioner?

Anje
April 22nd, 2009, 09:56 PM
I was browsing the Sally website, and I saw this stuff. It's meant to be used as a treatment for damaged hair before dyeing further, so that color will be taken up more evenly. It also apparently can be used to remove color, and on one site (http://www.hair-colour.info/reconditioning-damaged-hair.html) I saw, henna and compound henna.

The ingredients list isn't like any conditioner I've ever seen, and while I haven't looked everything up, nothing stands out as particularly harmful. Could this be effective as a deep conditioner or as a chelator? Anyone with experience with it?

Ingredients:
Sulfated castor oil, Propylene Glycol, Acrylates/steareth-20 methacrylate copolymer, Salicylic Acid, Triethanolamine, Water, Fragrance, EDTA.

Natalia
April 23rd, 2009, 04:25 AM
I dont know about the rest of the ingredients but the idea of putting Salicylic Acid on my hair EKKKK! It will be interesting to see what everyone else says

Anje
April 23rd, 2009, 04:46 PM
Yeah, the salicylic acid sounds little scary, but it's in several dandruff shampoos. I also suspect it might serve as a chelator, though there's EDTA in there, which should be better for that.

Flynn
April 23rd, 2009, 06:15 PM
Salicylic acid (asprin) also appears in some acne remedies, as well as being a well-known home remedy... I think it acts as an antiseptic in those cases, but that makes little sense here.

Looking at it, I'm with you thinking its a chelator. Maybe there's not much EDTA in there. I'm sure asprin is heaps cheaper, so it's likely to be the main chelating agent. ...?

zaftig2k
April 24th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I was browsing the Sally website, and I saw this stuff. It's meant to be used as a treatment for damaged hair before dyeing further, so that color will be taken up more evenly. It also apparently can be used to remove color, and on one site (http://www.hair-colour.info/reconditioning-damaged-hair.html) I saw, henna and compound henna.

The ingredients list isn't like any conditioner I've ever seen, and while I haven't looked everything up, nothing stands out as particularly harmful. Could this be effective as a deep conditioner or as a chelator? Anyone with experience with it?

Ingredients:
Sulfated castor oil, Propylene Glycol, Acrylates/steareth-20 methacrylate copolymer, Salicylic Acid, Triethanolamine, Water, Fragrance, EDTA.

Metalex is not a conditioner in the sense that you are used to. As a long time hairdresser, I have always used it primarily to lift out old color and fill hair that has been damaged due to over processing - so that new color will take more effectively. It is great product if used for what it is intended for. I would never recommend using it as a "traditional" conditioner.