PDA

View Full Version : Me and my crusty scalp. Please help.

sukhi_v1023
April 22nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
Alrighty then. It seems I have a problem. (And I couldn't find answers through a search.)

So, for the past couple of weeks, my scalp has been going absolutely crazy. My scalp isn't itchy, but it feels like I've got some type of buildup going on. When I scratch my scalp, I have what seems to be dead skin cells or white powdery but gritty substance. It's not exactly dandruff, because it's not flaky, and it's not lice eggs, as my fiance joked. (I looked into it seriously though, and that's not what's going on. I even had *eek!* my mom check my scalp for me.)

I think I've found out what happened. A couple of weeks ago I got Herbal Essences Hydralicious shampoo, the one with silk. I noticed that it felt somewhat similar to Pantene's Sleek & Smooth, but different.

At about the same time, I also finished my Dabur Vatika Coconut Oil, and replaced it with Dabur Enriched Olive Oil.

Two problems:

1. HE had protein in it.
2. The first ingredient in Dabur Enriched OO was mineral oil.

Neither of those two things do anything for me.

I tried to go back to what I remember was my normal, balancing washing routine (Dabur Coconut Oil and Live Clean Invigorating Shampoo).

Problem:
My normal/balancing routine isn't working. And I'm freaking out.

My scalp is usually normal to oily. Right now, it feels dry but greasy at the same time, and the buildup is still in there.

Possible Solution:
I'm going to go way back to unrefined coconut oil, and a simple basic sulfate shampoo and light cone shampoo (namely Dove Go Fresh). I'm going to dilute the shampoo and only use conditioner on the length and ends. Conditioner on my scalp never works.

What do you guys do when you have a crusty scalp that just doesn't want to calm down?

sukhi_v1023
April 22nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
Oh, and I forgot to add this:

Head and Shoulders, Selsun Blue, Neutrogena T-Gel.

All of the above mentioned shampoos make my scalp freak out: it gets drier and greasier all at the same time, and destroys my hair like nothing else. It just doesn't do anything for me.

Shanarana
April 22nd, 2009, 06:20 PM
If you think it may be build up perhaps a good clarifying may help.

sukhi_v1023
April 22nd, 2009, 06:27 PM
That's what I'm thiiinking... But I don't wanna go off and clarify and have it be something completely different and exacerbate the horridness.

*sighs in misery*

Shanarana
April 22nd, 2009, 06:29 PM
You may not want to use a shampoo with cones as that would only add to the build up already there.

Anje
April 22nd, 2009, 06:30 PM
Have you tried rinsing your scalp with diluted vinegar? Sometimes just changing the pH can do a lot for people's scalps. Most of the time, people use 1:10 to 1:4 vinegar in water solutions, but sometimes people have even used undiluted vinegar with good results for their scalp. You might want to fairly strong final vinegar rinse every time you wash your hair (could rinse it out, or the smell should fade when it dries), and follow with oiling your scalp with something you like, like Vatika, jojoba, or coconut oil.

I'm wondering if you might do well to put something moisturizing on your scalp, breaking your usual no-conditioner rule. I don't know if Sally's Beauty is in Canada, but they sell "Cure Care" conditioner, which has protein in it (too much for my hair), but it is also intended to be used as a lotion. Something like that or similar, that you could leave on your scalp for a while for moisture might help. But I'm mostly just thinking aloud.

lora410
April 22nd, 2009, 06:30 PM
When my scalp gets over gunked I usually clarify and scrub it really good with my nails; usually if I accidental put condish on my scalp. I then do a nice vinegar rinse to balance out the ph. I usually do a vinegar rinse after every wash though. If you think it may be fungal or something try a monistat treatment or a nice tea tree treatment with some oil and massage onto the scalp and leave for an hour before a wash.

Shanarana
April 22nd, 2009, 06:31 PM
I'm thinking a good clarifying and perhaps an AVC rinse to bring the ph level back. I'm sure other will chime in with advise as well. Hang in there, all is not lost.

Delila
April 22nd, 2009, 07:17 PM
I think a clarifying scalp wash may be the way to go.

Maybe the stuff that didn't wow you just doesn't come off using the products you'd prefer.

Alia
April 22nd, 2009, 07:23 PM
Ditto on clarifying and ACV rinse, though a lemon or lime rinse will do the same job without that 'Salad Bar Fresh' scent. ;)

Furiana
April 22nd, 2009, 07:33 PM
What about a brown sugar scrub? It's like exfoliating the scalp; gets rid of whatever's there. If you rub very gently, you might be able to do this without bothering your scalp. Careful of any scabs, though!

ETA: Triple ditto on the vinegar, too.

s_tresses
April 22nd, 2009, 08:19 PM
I have the same problem but I have decided to just let it go. My hair and scalp are sooo moody and it seems to get better and or worse on its own.

Based on what I have read around here, these are the things I suggest that may or may not work for you:

_ Clarify. Now there are many ways to do that, using a clarifying shampoo or other natural alternatives like eggs (beware of the protein). For the egg shampoo recipe I use one egg, lemon and a little honey.

_ You probably use sulfates and cones as you said you recently bought HE, so I recommend reading the CO and WO threads and try a cheap cone free conditioner (Kiwi lime v05 worked best for me and may have even benefited my scalp)

_Scalp massages to loosen up dead skin cells. If you have essential oils available or can afford them you should make an oil blend with a carrier oil. I know nettle EO is used for dandruff and hair loss and there may be more out there that I don't know about.

_As far as I have heard mineral oil doesn't work for most people so coconut oil is probably a wise choice.

Anje
April 22nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
Ah, yes. Brown sugar scrubs are supposed to be great for gunky scalps. The classic recipe is to mix brown sugar with conditioner to make a nice scrubby gritty paste, but you could probably use oil, perhaps shampoo, instead.

I'm still going to push vinegar rinses, though.

lizzyjo
April 22nd, 2009, 10:06 PM
My scalp is usually normal to oily. Right now, it feels dry but greasy at the same time...

This sounds like when I had really bad acne and I used harsh products to try and dry my face out. It would end up flaky and even more oily. I would suggest using mild, moisturizing products on your scalp.

Another thought: could your scalp be sunburned and peeling?

Don't hesitate to visit the doc if it gets worse!

karli
April 23rd, 2009, 12:18 AM
My scalp gets flaky when I use sls or a conditioner that makes it too clean. Have you tried an eggwash? That helps my scalp. And co.

DarkChocolate
April 23rd, 2009, 11:09 AM
Hi:)

A similar thing happened to me when I used the Burt's Bees shampoo.
An ACV rinse worked well as well as changing shampoos:)

It was weird!! I would scratch my scalp gently and all of this white stuff came off of it.

Darkhorse1
April 23rd, 2009, 11:47 AM
I haven't read the responses, but when my scalp gets crusty, I try to let it get really dirty/let the natural oils come through. Then, I will wash with a clarifying shampoo---usually Herbal Essence degunkify or Pantene clarifying. If I find the ends dry, I'll use olive oil before clarifying, then use a conditioner (usually pantene or Herbal essence rose conditioner) and then rinse with cool water. This always helps me.

I find that coconut oil is HORRID for my hair. So is protein. It was just dreadful for me. So, if it doesn't itch, try to wait until it's grossly greasy, and then you can remove the crust with the oils. Another though would be to get a dandruff shampoo--even though you don't have itching, head and shoulders is zinc based, which is soothing to the scalp.

Good luck!

sukhi_v1023
April 25th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Hello everyone! I've got some interesting news to share with you all!

But first, thank you, everyone, for all your suggestions!

To get to the good news first: my scalp has chosen to end the rebellion! Hurrah!

Here's what I ended up doing:

1. Vinegar rinse (1:4)

2. I went back to coconut oil. Before washing my hair I drenched my scalp and hair in coconut oil, and left it in for a couple of hours before heading into the shower.

3. I cut out all use of Herbal Essences Hydralicious shampoo, and cut out the heavy cone conditioner (Sunsilk). This eliminated cones and protein from my products.

4. I went back to using Dove Go Fresh shampoo and conditioners (the new peach stuff). The shampoo helped clarify, and the conditioner provided enough moisture without weighing my hair down. Didn't condition the scalp, just the ends.

I did all this stuff on Wednesday night. As soon as I stepped out of the shower, I felt like something had changed. My scalp just felt... better? But I wasn't sure, and didn't want to jump to any hasty conclusions.

On Thursday, the results were as clear as crystal. My hair was back to it's normal bouncy, wavy self, and my scalp... Oh my... My scalp had given up arms against me! Clean and clear, there was no gunk, no flakes, no problems. Just a really happy head of hair.

:cheese:

Today (Saturday), my hair is starting to get a little greasy, which is normal for me, and I'm going to continue the above-mentioned routine (minus the vinegar - it was a little harsh, gonna do it once a week as needed).

I'm hoping that results will continue. Woo hoo!

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions!

Darkhorse1
April 25th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I love Herbal Essences, but the hydrolicious stuff made my hair mush. Probably just what is in it. :) Glad you found a solution! Funny, but Dove also makes my hair mush. :D ;)

sukhi_v1023
April 27th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Huh. Go figure about the Dove mush thingy. You know what I really wanted to try though? V05 shampoo and conditioner, but no matter where I looked, I couldn't find it. And then I figured that I may as well stick to what I knew worked well, which was Dove.

Found another culprit in the "build up" crime - I was using Tresemme's heat tamer spray as a detangler. It's been adding residue to my scalp, as well as cones, that I think I need to stop using at the moment.

I also noticed that my hair is much, much curlier without the cones. I'm almost convinced that my hair type is in a different class without cone buildup in it. Kinda scary.