PDA

View Full Version : Scalp massage.

wissles
April 22nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
Hi! :)
I've been doing scalp massages for a while now, but I'm not sure I'm doing it properly.

Are you supposed to kind of scrub your scalp in circles with your fingertips (not nails ofcourse) or are you supposed to.. oh, this is hard to explain. :rolleyes: More like press your fingertips on your scalp and move that spot of the scalp in circles, but not scrub or rub the scalp, just stay with your fingers in the same position?

I hope you get my.. weird explanation.
And also, the purpose is to increase my hair growth.

Arctic
April 22nd, 2009, 03:43 PM
I think both are beneficial to the scalp per se, but the one where you move your fingertips against your scalp might not be best for hairs, especially if no lubricants (oils, aloe gel, shampoo etc) are used. I would recommend the style where you move your scalp with your fingertips.

Stephanie
April 22nd, 2009, 04:16 PM
The objective of scalp massage is to increase circulation to the scalp. Do what you need to get the blood flowing - there is no right and wrong way, unless of course if you're breaking hair with your nails...clearly that's counter productive. ;)

Flaxen
April 22nd, 2009, 04:19 PM
...More like press your fingertips on your scalp and move that spot of the scalp in circles, but not scrub or rub the scalp, just stay with your fingers in the same position?
Yes to this part. For a good description with pictures, scroll to the bottom of this page (http://www.richardsteinsalon.com/chapter2.htm). :smile:

enfys
April 22nd, 2009, 04:34 PM
Thanks for that link Flaxen; very interesting. I always worried I was massaging wrongly but I think I'm safe. Phew.

Arctic
April 23rd, 2009, 07:00 AM
Yes to this part. For a good description with pictures, scroll to the bottom of this page (http://www.richardsteinsalon.com/chapter2.htm). :smile:

Thanks for the link Flaxen, it looks really interesting book as a whole, I hadn't seen it before :flowers:

az_sweetie01
April 23rd, 2009, 08:42 AM
Holy cow. I'm glad Wissles asked...I've been completely failing at correct scalp massage!

amaiaisabella
April 23rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
I just realized for the past year I've been doing my scalp massages incorrectly... I was moving the roots of the hair around, not the scalp itself, which makes more sense. I've been doing that for the past few weeks, and it may be wishful thinking, but I think I see growth already! ;)