PDA

View Full Version : Headlice!!!

Onebeauty
April 4th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Someone please please point me to the thread about how to kill headlice!!! My little daughter has it which means that probably all my kids have it again. \

HELP!!

Firefly
April 4th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Here's one:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=539&highlight=lice

HTH...

Firefly

AquaViolet1973
April 4th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Someone please please point me to the thread about how to kill headlice!!! My little daughter has it which means that probably all my kids have it again. \

HELP!!

I so feel your pain! My daughter, and my mom and I all got lice last summer. We used RID shampoo to kill the lice. I would recommend using the little silver combs that you have to buy separately rather than the plastic one that comes with the shampoo.

I haven't read all the replies yet, and I'm sure other posters will tell you about more natural remedies to get rid of the lice. All I can say is that the RID shampoo worked for us.

Do you know how your DD contracted the lice? We never did figure out where we got it from.

Vela
April 4th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I've had lice before (and nor do I EVER want them again!), and what I did when the RID stuff didn't work, I would fill the tub up grab my snorkel and do my best to drown them, and also washed with 'Dawn Dish Soap' every day. I did this for about a week and then they were gone! :) I hope you can get rid of them a lot faster than I did! Good Luck!

cuddledumplin
April 4th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I think every kid gets them at least once. In addition to the essential oils mentioned in the other thread, tea tree oil will kill head lice.

CrowningGlory
April 4th, 2008, 09:36 PM
We often have this problem at work (I'm an early childhood teacher) and the information that we got from the Health Department says to smother the hair with cheap conditioner, leave for an hour, comb through, then wash as usual. This needs to be repeated for several days until the lice are all gone.

You might not want to try this if you're wanting to kill the headlice quickly but apparently it does work. Every time we have a child at work with headlice I come home and 'treat' my hair with conditioner. Apparently the conditioner stuns the lice so that they can be easily combed out, along with their eggs. And the upside is that you end up with lovely soft hair and no nasty chemicals.

Onebeauty
April 5th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Update:
All three little girls have it but the boys, DH and I don't ... thank goodness. I did the RID stuff on one son (to be safe) and two of the girls and I did olive oil with a covering on the littlest girl. DH hasn't done anything and my older son and I dyed our hair and then nit combed ... that's how the boys and I found out we didn't have it.

Poor little girls ... as soon as I found it in the youngest DD's hair I called the school so they could check the other girls. My girls share a bedroom and usually all end up sleeping in the same bed most of the time so I figured if one had it all of them did. Sure enough, the school nurse checked them and when they got home from school my 9yo DD was crying. See, a year ago they had them so badly that we had to buzz cut all the kids. Their hair has just grown back enough for them to use barrettes and ponytail holders. Poor little thing thought she'd have to get a buzz again. I told her that wouldn't happen and that I'd sit for hours to pick them all out if need be.

After we shampooed and combed thinking that we got them all out, I checked them again before bed. Sure enough, my 9yo had some very tiny nits left. She started crying again and said, "Mama, I don't want buggies in my hair." Poor baby. I mixed up some olive oil with tea tree and eucalyptus oil, oiled all three girls hair and put shower caps on their heads. I guess we will be shampooing again tomorrow ... sigh.

Oh yeah, we also bagged up all the washable items in the kids rooms and put them outside ... that way I can wash one load at a time and the infestation is not in the house. We sprayed the beds, pillows, couch and car with the spray stuff and vacuumed good.

This sucks ...

AutumnLeaves
April 5th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Slathering the head in mayonnaise and a plastic cap helps too. Just an idea.

MoonCreature
April 5th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Poor girls, but with all the measures you've taken I think you'll get rid of them quickly!

Yuck.. My scalp started iching imediatly, I utterly hate lice, and I can still remember when there was an epidemic in my school when I was eight. They recomended everyone to wash with the lice-shampoo and combing through with the comb that followed. We needed three bottles of shampop for my hair and oh the crying and screaming when mum combed through my hair with that comb (my hair was much thicker then and BSL). And of course I didn't even have lice. So you have all my sympaties :grouphug:

SimplyLonghair
April 5th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Where I work we had a person with lice and I told them to use the mayo. I had used the chemicals way in the past but they are VERY HARSH! That is the reason that I lost so much hair that time when I was baby sitting for a neighbor who found out that her DD had brought them home from school. UGH! I know that they cannot breathe because of the oils and such in the preparations that work the best. Good luck!:D

Onebeauty
April 7th, 2008, 12:11 AM
How do you get the buggers off the hair shaft? I've combed and combed and each time I'm still finding stuff. Also, what do the different colors mean? I've seen white, clear and brown eggs ... does the color mean something?

One more thing ... how do I check myself? I mean I've already used hair dye and I currently have my hair coated with olive, teatree and eucalyptus oil up in a bun. I DO NOT want to get this and if I already have it I want it gone. I want my house lice free and it's driving me nuts!

Any advice would be awesome!

Onebeauty
April 8th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Ok so the school nurse checked me and I have headlice. She pulled off everything she could see but blech. I did the RID thing followed by Listerine for about 15 min. We tried to comb through it but that lice shampoo killed my hair. DH suggested oiling it and putting it up in a shower cap ... needed some sleep. I did that and washed it out this afternoon with tea tree oil shampoo, a white vinegar rinse and some conditioner. Blow dried it (school nurse said they hate that) and put it up in a bun again awaiting a comb through tonight from DH.

The nurse said something interesting ... the location of the lice were right where my bun sits. She said that wearing it up like that created a warm haven for them to breed. Is that true?

Also, just how meticulous do you have to be when cleaning the house, laundry, etc. My hands are dry from washing them so much and I think I'll puke if I have to do one more load of laundry.

Thanks for letting me vent.