PDA

View Full Version : How to measure hair

windinherhair
April 22nd, 2009, 07:15 AM
I tried to search the board for it and I also tried to find an article, but I didn't find anything so I thought I would ask since I am so new to this. Last night I measured my hair (for the first time ever!) and I got 29.5 inches. I measured from the middle of the top of my head to the side with the longest piece of hair. I held it very straight and measured with measuring tape.

This morning I saw on the profile where it says it measure from the front hair line and over the head to the very back, and I got 33 inches! That is a big difference. :eek:

I was wondering if some of you out there could tell me how you measure your hair? Do you hold it very straight and bring your hair around the front to measure, or do you use a mirror to help you from the back? I want the most accurate measure possible if I am going to keep track of this.

Anje
April 22nd, 2009, 08:24 AM
I don't measure often, but when I do, I start from the hairline and go over the back of my head, like you describe. Then I grab my hair and the measuring tape a few inches from the ends, and sort of clamp them all together, so the tape won't move relative to the hair. Then I bring it around front to look at where the longest hairs are.

Even better is to have someone read it for you, but I think my method's fairly consistent, and I'm not going to sweat about 1/2".

LadyLongLocks
April 22nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
I used to measure it wrong too in 2005, then learned the right way. Measure from the hairline and down the back. I measure every 2 weeks.
Here is a video demo on how to measure hair. I can easily do it alone, but now my other half does it.

:heartbeat VIDEO TUTORIAL Watch it here on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHyHMp3LqQM) :heartbeat

Carolyn
April 22nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
Go to Advanced Search and put in the word "measuring". I clicked Titles Only. I got 15 threads on measuring.

JamieLeigh
April 22nd, 2009, 09:02 AM
I also measure according to how most do on this forum, tape measure starting at the front hairline, then over the top of my head and down my back. I pull it straight, because a couple of days after washing, it straightens out on its own and stays that way for a couple of days until I wash again. I have been letting DH do my measuring as of late. Since I've been able to sit on my hair, I've been getting conflicting readings when I try to do it myself. :rolleyes:

HairyCarrie
April 22nd, 2009, 09:12 AM
My hair is shorter so I can't pull it to the side for the final reading. If doing it alone, I use big silver hairdresser clips to anchor the tape measure to my hair. I start at the top and add one every few inches until it is secure. Then it's easier to hold a mirror, look backwards, and get a reading. I also mark my tape with a black sharpie at milestone inches so it's easier for my old eyes to focus on my past and future goals. :smile:

I also like to get my DH or DD14 to give me a reading, but I only do that once a month so they don't tire of it. I measure more often as I think it's fun to track (while others may find it too stressful).

windinherhair
April 22nd, 2009, 05:54 PM
First of all, sorry about the misspelling in my title thread! I should have been more careful before posting.

Thank you for the tip on clamping the hair to the measuring tape. I could always ask my husband to help me. He has been helped me take pictures since the ones that I took didn't turn out well. :p

I like the idea for using the measuring tape to mark my progress. Thanks for the video link! She sure had a lot of hair to measure. It was nice that she had help. :)