PDA

View Full Version : how to wear hair while doing yoga

Sossity
April 4th, 2008, 03:55 PM
what would be a good way to put my hair up doing yoga? I notice when I have it in a low pony tail, over time individual broken bit of hair strands get matted or embedded into my yoga mat, so maybe I need to put it up somehow.Sometimes when I do a posture, my ponytail gets caught some where; under my arm or leg, etc. I need the do to be soft enough, that when I do a posture like the shoulder stand, the knots of a braid or ponytail bump does not get right under my neck & hurt.

Sossity

Saldana
April 5th, 2008, 07:16 AM
You don't indicate how long your hair is, but if it's long enough to French braid, I've found that a french braid works very well for yoga, even inversion postures.

Stevy
April 5th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I usually do a gibraltar bun right on the top of my head. It sometimes slips a little when I'm doing inverted postures, but otherwise it holds tight. Also, it holds with just one pin, which means that if I want to take my hair down when it comes time to do relaxation postures, I can. :)

doodlesmart
April 5th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Ok, so this is going to sound dopey looking, and it is (I never had the guts to wear this in front of anyone, but maybe you will :p). If you do two braids on either side under your ears, then bring them up and around in front like you would with heidi braids and pin them down. It ends up being bulky looking in front and kinda poofy on the sides, but then there is nothing behind your head at all so it's very comfortable that way.

Silver & Gold
April 5th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I've found that a french braid works best with all poses, especially if you are doing any poses that put the crown of your head on the floor. A french braid generally lies flat enough against the back of the floor for lying down. Or even french braids down each side of the head.

If I'm lazy I'll throw my hair up with a hairstick and pull the stick out to either leave my hair free or reposition my bun if it gets in the way of a pose.

LifeisAdventure
April 5th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Similar question for anyone who has an Ab Lounger... how do you do your hair for crunches? The netting material is very comfortable on the body but not so good on the hair. At home I usually pile all my hair on top in a bun (which looks ridiculous and usually leaves me with weird bumps and kinks after I sweat with it and let it down) but I'm still paranoid about laying my head on the netting like you're supposed to do to support your neck properly. I've tried covering my hair with shawls but there's too much movement... any ideas?