PDA

View Full Version : A friend of mine wants curly extensions..

Curlsgirl
April 22nd, 2009, 07:09 AM
Is that possible and what are the best kind?

Unofficial_Rose
April 22nd, 2009, 07:46 AM
I'd be very wary, simply because I had extensions a few years ago and in 3 weeks or so, they took half my hair with them. They were those bonded-in ones. And they were hell to sleep in, because of the bobbles. Took about a year for my hair to recover to its normal volume. :( And the shedding, ugh! It was like having a pet yeti or something. They were at a reputable salon too, and they were very expensive.

Plenty of people seem to be fine with them, so maybe mine were just badly-fitted. I have normal hair, not baby-fine delicate hair or anything. :shrug: That's just my experience though, so I guess it depends on what the consensus is.

Ooh, I LOVE your avatar!

misstwist
April 22nd, 2009, 08:48 AM
I wonder if she would consider a fall or a wrap instead?

http://www.paulayoung.com/DeptDetail.aspx?did=365&nid=3

Curlsgirl
April 22nd, 2009, 11:19 AM
I'd be very wary, simply because I had extensions a few years ago and in 3 weeks or so, they took half my hair with them. They were those bonded-in ones. And they were hell to sleep in, because of the bobbles. Took about a year for my hair to recover to its normal volume. :( And the shedding, ugh! It was like having a pet yeti or something. They were at a reputable salon too, and they were very expensive.

Plenty of people seem to be fine with them, so maybe mine were just badly-fitted. I have normal hair, not baby-fine delicate hair or anything. :shrug: That's just my experience though, so I guess it depends on what the consensus is.

Ooh, I LOVE your avatar!Thanks, yeah I am trying to talk her out of it but she seems adament so I am trying to find some info to give her at least. I know NOTHING about them! I will check that link out too. Thanks!

Fencai
April 22nd, 2009, 12:06 PM
I would tell her not to do it!!
A co-worker down the hall had the "Victoria Beckham" hair cut, and put in curly BSL length extensions, and its awful!!!!
(her hair was normally straight).

I would try to get her to do a 3/4 wig cap instead.

Curlsgirl
April 23rd, 2009, 11:59 AM
Bump! Any more help?

SimplyLonghair
April 23rd, 2009, 12:27 PM
I work with alot of girls that get weaves, so if that is what she is talking about, tell her that they HURT!!!!!!!!!!!

They (my co workers) have traction alopetia and constant pain or itching. They change their styles so often because they have such issues with them. Extensions are really hard on your hair and weaves are worse. Some people use the terms interchangeably so I was not sure which you meant.

There are videos on youtube about extensions, and you might do some checking and then look up "hair extension stories" on google there is a lot of info about disadvantages. HTH:D

Curlsgirl
April 23rd, 2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks, I will tell her to google then. :flowers:

TokyoPink
June 10th, 2009, 01:22 PM
My friend has clip-in extensions and she says they dont hurt or pull on her hair, and that theyre very comfortable. They also look pretty natural on her (although her hair is quite long anyway). I suggest she tries the clip-in ones before going for anything permanent as they are a lot cheaper than the bonded ones (my friend gets them for £20 at a local hair shop, and thats natural hair) so if she ends up not liking them its not like shes lost out extremely or anything.
Theres a youtuber called lollipop26 who got clip-in ones and shes made a few videos about them, ask your friend to check her out (I dont know of any other youtubers who have talked about this in their videos).

I personally have tried hair extensions twice (once braided in, once bonded) - both times they were heavy, uncomfortable and they matted really easily.

Good luck to your friend on her voyage for extensions :D

forgetmenotak
June 10th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Awhile back I saw on the forums for essential day spa in the diy (do it yourself) section it had some extensions that seemed pretty reasonable. Might be a place for her to start? Here is the link.
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=33052
Other than that I'm afraid I don't have any good ideas; l grow my own hair!