PDA

View Full Version : Silk?

Runzel
April 21st, 2009, 07:39 PM
Has anyone used silk amino acids/protein for their hair? I searched the forum but couldn't find any information on it.

After reading the long article someone posted about the balance between moisture and protein in the hair, when I noticed silk protein at a place where I was already picking up a few items I figured I may as well try it. Since I don't use any conventional products, the only way to do a protein treatment would be to make my own. My hair hasn't seen protein for at least two years....if suave shampoo and conditioner doesn't contain protein then it's been more like 8 years, if ever. :rolleyes: So I'm eager to experiment to see the effect it has on my hair.

But I'd also rather not ruin my hair with experimenting. :p So...any precautions, tips, suggestions, or further information?

Norai
April 22nd, 2009, 01:04 PM
I have not but would also like to know!

Anje
April 22nd, 2009, 09:16 PM
Note that not all hair reacts well to protein. If yours hasn't been relaxed, permed, or bleached, it's somewhat less likely that your hair will need it, or even like it. Mine does not care for protein, and goes into overload if I use a protein conditioner more than a few times, which is unfortunate because I would appreciate more strength in my fine, fragile hair. (Note that protein overload for me tends to make hair feel rough, and like it sticks to your fingers a little when your run them down, especially on the ends. Watch for it as you experiment.)

Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut conditioner has some silk amino acids on the ingredients list, which I unfortunately didn't notice until my hair started to tangle.... I don't know about some of the other Suave products, but most of the Naturals line conditioners are protein-free.

Many of the VO5 conditioners, particularly those labeled as being strengthening and the Moisture Milks line have protein in them. I first encountered it with a pink one (strawberry something or other), which had silk protein.

Finally, if you have a Sally Beauty Supply around, you might want to look at Cure Care conditioner. It has a really simple ingredients list that includes hydrolyzed keratin (keratin being the protein hair is made of), and if your hair likes it, you can buy it for about $8/gallon! It's also a decent and non-oily lotion.

Anje
April 22nd, 2009, 09:23 PM
When I get protein-overloaded, what works best for me is to do an SMT with a non-protein conditioner (generally my good old Suave). You'll find the recipe on the Recipe board, but here it is, briefly:

4 parts conditioner
1 part clear aloe gel*
1 part honey
Mix, warm in the microwave, smear on hair, especially ends. Put on a shower cap or a bag, leave the stuff in for at least 30 minutes, and have a towel handy in case it drips down your neck. Rinse out. I wouldn't shampoo after this, and it shouldn't be sticky following rinsing. If you need to shampoo (CO won't work?), I would lean toward shampooing before this conditioning treatment, so you don't take out all the goodness.

* Clear aloe gel -- the trick to this is that you want something without pain relievers (often added for sunburn), and without alcohols, which are drying (triethanolamine is usually still present). Many LHCers use Fruit of the Earth, which is sold at Walmart. If you feel like cutting up an aloe plant, go for it.

Runzel
April 23rd, 2009, 12:54 AM
Thanks. I have indeed read that not everyone's hair likes protein, but how will I know unles I try it? :D I'll keep those tips for washing it out in mind. :)

Melisande
April 23rd, 2009, 04:51 AM
I don't use silk protein but I keep a little bottle of hydrolyzed wheat protein and keratin in my fridge. I add them to my version of deep treatment (conditioner, olive oil, aloe vera, honey, wheat protein and keratin) that I use once a week, and it strengthens my hair.

In addition, I keep a spray bottle under my sink with distilled water and some drops of both protein concentrates. It's useful for keeping my updo nice and giving some lift to my roots. (I use two misters, one with oil and aloe vera in distilled water for the lengths and ends, and one with proteins for the roots - my hair likes it best that way).

I don't overuse it. It washes out easily. I never had problems with protein overload, and I use a gentle, non-sulfate shampoo that I dilute very much. It seems my hair likes this extra portion of protein.

Isilme
April 23rd, 2009, 03:01 PM
some proteins are also more powerful than others. My hair turns to straw from wheat protein, but does fine with silk amino acids. Just a thing to also keep in mind