PDA

View Full Version : Is a side braid mostly for younger girls as well?

Curlsgirl
April 21st, 2009, 04:44 PM
I know two braids are sometimes associated with younger girls even though sometimes older women (like me hee hee) wear them. I just wondered if a side braid also sort of had that stigma to it, that it's more suitable for younger women? I have worn one a couple of times lately and gotten compliments on it. I don't WANT to be self-conscious about things like that but I guess I am a little. Just wondered what you all think about a side braid (brought up over the shoulder to the front) compared to 2 pig-tail braids.

Oh yeah I am 49.

Shanarana
April 21st, 2009, 04:47 PM
I wonder that myself. I would like to wear my hair off to the side in a braid too (I'm 45) and wonder also if I would look silly.

Xandergrammy
April 21st, 2009, 04:51 PM
The two most beautiful, and most memorable side braids that I've seen have both been worn by women who are older than you. With gray hair. So I can't tell you about any stigma (my favorite style is double braids), but I can tell you that I wouldn't let age get in the way. :flowers:

camirra555
April 21st, 2009, 05:01 PM
I think it's fine. If anything I would say a side braid is more grown up than two braids, although I don't see a problem with older women wearing two braids either for that matter. I always try to do my hair in a side braid but it won't look good until my hair is a little longer.

sneakybea
April 21st, 2009, 05:10 PM
I don't think the side braid looks too young (and two braids doesn't necessarily, either). I like to wear a side braid when I feel like wearing a braid, but I still want people to actually see my hair---you know, because otherwise all my hair is behind me.

Copasetic
April 21st, 2009, 05:40 PM
I have seen ladies with really long hair wearing it in a side braid, and I thought it looked great. I don't think it is "young" looking the way that two braids can be.

lizzyjo
April 21st, 2009, 06:12 PM
I think a simple braid that starts at the nape and continues around the shoulder looks very nice and not childish at all. To me, pigtail braids can look much more childish.

Tangles
April 21st, 2009, 06:21 PM
Heck, no! Since when does fun equate childish?

catfish
April 21st, 2009, 06:25 PM
Personally, the side braid is one of my favorites and I wear it often. I think it softens my face better than a straight back braid. I side part my hair first and then braid it, or rope braid, I think it is glamorous. Not at all too young, but again I wear double dutch too:o

embee
April 21st, 2009, 06:31 PM
Side braids I've seen have been on older women, not kids or young girls. Go for it! :)

Curlsgirl
April 21st, 2009, 06:33 PM
I'm getting braver! I do wear them out in public just not to work yet. My work is not really dressy though so I think I'm gonna go for it soon!

AnneAdeline
April 21st, 2009, 07:25 PM
I think side braids are in no way too "young" looking. I think it's a beautiful, classic style.

Anje
April 21st, 2009, 07:39 PM
I don't see a lot of side braids (a few on college students, but the vast majority of the people I see on any given day are college students), but I like them. Not much good for the lab, when I need my hair away from my front, but awesome for driving and just about any other time.

Incidentally, I like 2 braids, too. I worried that it might be a bit childish, but I wore them a bit last summer, and was told I looked like a goddess that way. (And then a little girl told me she thought it was so cool how my braids got steadily thinner. First positive comment I've ever heard about taper!)

Tyrinaniel
April 21st, 2009, 07:44 PM
I've always thought a side braid can look glamourous if done right.

eyesofsummer
April 21st, 2009, 07:46 PM
One of my first longhair inspirations was a guidance counselor in my middle school; she had long salt and pepper hair that was always draped over one shoulder in a loose, thick side braid. She must have been in her mid 50's, but I thought the style suited her very well!

I love side braids on days my hair is too fluffy and in my face...a braid makes it stay put, and it's a style that's very forgiving even if there are bits of hair sticking out!

lynnala
April 21st, 2009, 10:15 PM
Heck no! Unless I'm stigma'd and don't know it! I wear a single braid on the side every day! I like that I can see my long hair, but still have it off my neck and out of the way.

Natalia
April 21st, 2009, 10:55 PM
I think double braid are just fine at any age, though to be honest i personally think they look better on thicker hair. I (as a fine hair) am not super fond of that skinny tail i get when i do double braids just from my lack of hair. Just an opinion though i have seen navaho (sorry i am a terrible speller) with beautiful long double braids that were small. Gee im no help lol

spidermom
April 21st, 2009, 11:06 PM
I can honestly say that I've never seen a young girl wearing a side braid.

Flynn
April 22nd, 2009, 04:48 AM
Simple answer: no. Go for it.

Samikha
April 22nd, 2009, 05:13 AM
What Flynn said: No ;) I think it looks sophisticated, actually.

jtl45
April 22nd, 2009, 06:05 AM
I wear them from time to time and think they are not limited to any age or gender!
Jim

Curlsgirl
April 22nd, 2009, 06:08 AM
Wow! Overwhelming affirmations!!! Just what I needed :D

darkwaves
April 22nd, 2009, 07:05 AM
I'm with spidermom -- I've never seen a young girl wearing a side braid.

However, I have seen a couple of women in their 30s and 40s wear very elegant side braids. One, a side French twist, the other, a side reverse French (Dutch?) twist braid, i.e. starting at the top on one side, and crossing down to the other, with the resulting braid falling over the shoulder.

It strikes me that this would be a great style for travelling/flying. My hair would be contained, but the braid would 't be rubbing against the back of the seat for hours.

Curlsgirl
April 22nd, 2009, 07:27 AM
I'm with spidermom -- I've never seen a young girl wearing a side braid.

However, I have seen a couple of women in their 30s and 40s wear very elegant side braids. One, a side French twist, the other, a side reverse French (Dutch?) twist braid, i.e. starting at the top on one side, and crossing down to the other, with the resulting braid falling over the shoulder.

It strikes me that this would be a great style for travelling/flying. My hair would be contained, but the braid would 't be rubbing against the back of the seat for hours.

Hi DW!!! Yes I do wear a side braid a lot when traveling. It really is VERY comfy. I like those ideas too but not sure I would have the patience to do them!

Juanita
April 22nd, 2009, 07:41 AM
Great for us older ladies I think.http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d21/peachymango2002/MembersExhibition2007078.jpg

Won best dressed at the races 2007

Tressie
April 22nd, 2009, 07:47 AM
Yes, I believe a side braid looks best on girls younger than 110 years of age! That goes for double braids too! :D

JamieLeigh
April 22nd, 2009, 09:37 AM
I do it all the time! It can get in the way sometimes, as it rides at hip-length in the front, but I like it. I don't think it's necessarily associated with younger females (if it is, that's ridiculous) - and IMHO the longer it gets, the cooler it looks. :cool: Rock that side braid!!!

3azza
April 22nd, 2009, 10:17 AM
Braids are for all ages, and in all cultures women braided their hair.My father's aunt had two sided big gray braids.They were very beautiful. Braids rockkkkkk!!!! :)

Cindi Eponabri
April 22nd, 2009, 10:25 AM
Why are we all so caught up in age? Age is just a number, and you're only as old as you are feel. If you like something, in a hair style, style of dress, home decoration, that should be all that matters... not what anyone else thinks.

Curlsgirl
April 22nd, 2009, 11:34 AM
Why are we all so caught up in age? Age is just a number, and you're only as old as you are feel. If you like something, in a hair style, style of dress, home decoration, that should be all that matters... not what anyone else thinks.

I appreciate your opinion. But as I said I TRY not to be but was curious about what others might say. Everyone is not as self-confident as you I guess. :flower:

starshinedarkly
April 22nd, 2009, 01:16 PM
I'm young and I don't see too many people my age with them, so I think its fine, and even if lots of young people did wear it, I think anyone can make it look nice, no matter their age. Go for it :)

flaming bunny
April 23rd, 2009, 09:39 AM
A side braid is my very favourite style to do. It shows off the length whilst keeping your hair contained and looks so elegant...no matter your age. I really don't think it has the same age connotations as pig tail braids.

I just wish the hair at my nape wouldn't get so snarled up when I wear a side braid! *grumble*

enfys
April 23rd, 2009, 02:05 PM
One side plait is fine. Maybe two is straying into younger connotations, but so what?

darkwaves
April 24th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Won best dressed at the races 2007 Juanita -- what a wonderful outfit!!!

Silverlox
April 24th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Nope! Side braids are not for girls. Neither do girls have a monopoly of wearing two braids or any other hairstyle. My philosophy is really very simple, - if you have the sufficient length and knowledge to make a certain hairdo, you can wear it as much as you please. And I'm older than you. :D

I think that a side braid, just like a side pony tail looks more grown-up, elegant and sophisticated than the usual kind which hangs down your back. :eyebrows:

Go for it! :flowers:

MissBiss
April 25th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Here's a great side braid style (http://cutegirlshairstyles.blogspot.com/2008/10/ponytail-half-braid.html) for all ages. I wear side braids and buns all the time.

Fifty-Five
April 25th, 2009, 01:53 AM
I never see side-braids, double braids, side-ponies... occassionally double-ponies, which are awesome, by the way. xP Anyway, yeah, I don't think any of the mentioned styles (or, to be fair, the unmentioned, as well) have any sort of age limit on them. If you can do it, do it =3

Melisande
April 25th, 2009, 02:28 AM
I'm so happy to see my most beloved side braid is popular! I wear my hair in a side braid often, also out of the house. I had a professor at University who must have been in her middle 50s, a beautiful Frenchwoman, who was always dressed impeccably and wore a side braid. I looked great on her. And I love the style, too.

Do you switch sides from time to time? Which side do you prefer? I always find myself taking the hair over to the left side.

Heavenly Locks
April 25th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Here's a great side braid style (http://cutegirlshairstyles.blogspot.com/2008/10/ponytail-half-braid.html) for all ages. I wear side braids and buns all the time.

Wow that is CUTE :) I am going to have to wear that for sure. THanks for the link.

Melisande
April 25th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Yes, I overlooked the link, it's TOO cute!!! I love it!! Thank you for the link to the site. It looks so enjoyable for a mum of two longhaired daughters ;-)

walkinglady
April 25th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I'm your age and I wear a side braid all the time. Personally, I think it is a style better suited for older women. I've also seen a few photographs of women much older than us wearing a side braid, they looked stunning! It's a simple style that shows beautiful healthy hair is obtainable at any age : )

Juanita
April 27th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Darkwaves Thankyou.I was thrilled to win.

I think its a great style for hats and fasinators. I also like side ponys as well. Simple and elegant.

LadyLongLocks
April 27th, 2009, 08:00 AM
A side braid seems great for grown ups, not childish at all. 2 braids is for younger IMO.
I wear my braid over my shoulder a lot if I am out in public, not actually braided on the side, but same sort of look.

UrsaMama
April 28th, 2009, 06:42 AM
For me, age has nothing to do with it. I just wouldn't be able to wear it myself or put it on my daughter cause I hate the feeling of being uneven! I'm a bit obsessive about things like that......:o

hippiechick1976
April 28th, 2009, 07:06 AM
It has always been one of my favorite styles. I wear it quite often and sometimes add some beads to the tie or use a predecorated hair band. You can do amazing things with this style and it so softens your face and looks so romantic. Do what makes you feel good!

NebraskaChick84
April 28th, 2009, 10:40 AM
For me, age has nothing to do with it. I just wouldn't be able to wear it myself or put it on my daughter cause I hate the feeling of being uneven! I'm a bit obsessive about things like that......:o
I feel the same way!

OP-are you talking about a side English braid or french braid? I thought you were talking about a side french braid and was going to reply that while it wasn't really a young girl's style it's very much an '80's style :) I do like it but am too OCD to feel comfortable with the uneven factor. In fact, I had my hair done into pigtail braids and had to take it down because it was too uneven for my tastes. A bit too much information perhaps, just trying to express myself clearly :)

SimplySmile
March 11th, 2019, 01:32 PM
I think a side braid looks so elegant and is great on any age or length of hair!!

lapushka
March 11th, 2019, 03:51 PM
I think a side braid looks so elegant and is great on any age or length of hair!!

Zombie thread! LOL

All joking aside, I am 46 going on 47 and love a good side braid once in a while as well!

Groovy Granny
March 11th, 2019, 04:19 PM

:agree: I still do it at 'my' age :flower:

*Wednesday*
March 11th, 2019, 04:33 PM
I wear side braids often. I'm 48.