PDA

View Full Version : Test your protein IQ!!!

tessleopard
April 21st, 2009, 11:37 AM
So I've learned that my hair isn't feeling very protein-friendly at the moment. I'm not sure if I just need to get it back in balance, or if I'm destined to be protein-sensitive for life.
In any event, I'm confused on protein quotient in natural haircare. How do I know if something is protein-filled? Is this just a common sense answer that I'm missing?
In particular, does anyone know the protein-ness of: honey, molasses, catnip, acv, soapnuts, cassia, fennugreek, aloe vera, jojoba and olive oils?
TIA, ladies! :cheese:

Arctic
April 21st, 2009, 11:41 AM
Honey is purely carbs, no protein. I assume same of molasses. Oils are also non-proteiny, but coconut oil prevents protein loss. I also have feeling that aloe vera doesn't have protein, but am not sure.

HairColoredHair
April 21st, 2009, 12:01 PM
I'm pretty sure that all of those, if pure, are no protein, or very low protein.

Eggs, on the other hand...

mooglewoo
April 21st, 2009, 12:08 PM
I am pretty sure, all of things you listed are protien-free. I am unfamiliar with fennugreek, though.

Canarygirl
April 21st, 2009, 01:17 PM
I think that cassia (and henna) act like proteins on the hair.

Anje
April 21st, 2009, 01:57 PM
As others have said, oils in general are protein-free. Some people who have protein issues also don't do well with coconut oil -- this is blamed on the fact that coconut oil is known to prevent protein loss from the hair, but I'm not convinced. I suspect that many are using some sort of virgin coconut oil that still contains significant amounts of non-oil components including proteins -- some of the unrefined coconut oils I have tried seem a bit sweet, suggesting that there's sugar in them.

Honey, molasses, catnip tea, and aloe gel are probably all fine for you. I don't know what the protein content of fenugreek is, but the time I tried to do something with it, I really hated how it coated my hair and smelled like bad maple syrup. I don't really know if cassia counts as a protein treatment or not, but it can definitely be drying like one for some people. No experience with soapnuts, but I doubt they're protein-y.

For proteins, your main concern is to check the labels of your stuff. Hair products will often say right on the front of the bottle, something like "now with silk amino acids." Amino acids, keratin, collagen, hydrolyzed whatever, and anything that says protein outright are all protein compounds. Silk, soy, and wheat are all favorites to put in conditioners, it seems, and my hair really doesn't like it. If you're looking at food compounds, you might do best reading the nutrition label. If it provides protein, you know it has significant quantities of protein in it.

tessleopard
April 21st, 2009, 10:50 PM
Thank you all so very much for all of your help. I cut out the protein, and my hair was feeling much better. However, since I went swimming the past week and got chlorine on the ends of my hair, it has been back to its' wicked ways.
The next step is an SMT, so I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be doing further damage to my hair protein-wise.

Heidi_234
April 22nd, 2009, 12:32 AM
Protein obtained from natural recipes is too big to get into your hair and cause protein overload. So anything protein-y won't actually contribute to the protein balance. If you need a protein treatment, you'll have to use a products with hydrolyzed (sp?) protein, that is much smaller in size and is able to penetrate the hair shaft.