PDA

View Full Version : hair obsession

Fethenwen
April 21st, 2009, 01:35 AM
Well, this is something I've been noticing since I joined this
community.

We all know we are very obsessed with our hair.
Now this might be quite a sensitive subject, but I think it should be discussed.
Too much obsession is never a good thing, one has to know when to draw a line in all sorts of things.

Do you guys sometimes worry that you are too obsessed with your hair? When do you think that too much is too much when it comes to caring about your hair?

I know from my own experience, that I was very thrilled, and still am to have found out alternative methods on hair care. I have always cared a lot about my hair, and this community has shown that I'm not alone :p But I try to not get too swept away with this.

This is something that is wide spread through the internet me thinks, to be able to live out our hobbies and such with other people sharing the same experience. This is something that easily can lead to obsessive and strange behavior I think. Because being in a group, one gets encouragement and also is able to compare one self to others about achievements. On the internet there is no such thing as drawing a line. People are free to live out their hobbies to the fullest, because they find out there are many like minded people out there.

I'm not saying that LHC is full of looneys :p this is one of the more healthy forums I've been on.

Feel free to discuss this freely, I hope no one takes what I said too personally.

Rebelkat
April 21st, 2009, 02:14 AM
:hmm:
Everything is a matter of perspective, to be entirely honest. One person's definition of "obsession" and "strange behavior" could be the definition of "normal" to another. No matter what a person's lifestyle is like, there is always someone else out there that frowns on it and considers it abnormal. This can apply to everything from hair to diet and from hobbies to religion. Anything that is part of a person's lifestyle can be considered an "obsession" or "strange" to someone with a different point of view. An "obsession" is only truly unhealthy if it controls a majority of the aspects in a person's life and/or leads to harmful behavior, whether the person harms themselves or someone else. Say, if someone was so obsessed with their hair that they mutilated themselves over excessive shedding or something like that, then it would be something to worry about. Or say, if someone accidentally trimmed too much off of this person's hair and they became physically violent over it, then it would be something to worry about.

However, aside from cases like that, I don't see how being "obsessed" with one's own hair could be a dangerous thing. Most of the things I've heard of people doing on LHC are harmless, if not beneficial to the overall health of the person doing them. So why worry? As long as it's not the only thing that their life revolves around, it's no big deal. There are much more dangerous "obsessions" out there than hair.

Runzel
April 21st, 2009, 02:37 AM
I, too, try to watch myself with "hair obsession". For me personally, being a Christian, nothing is ever supposed to be so important that I spent more time focusing on that thing, thinking about that thing, spending money on that thing, and enjoying that thing than I do on God. Basically, to use religious terminology, that would mean I have stopped worshiping God and instead began worshiping my hair, in this case. It's a strange comparison; biblically, this topic falls into the category of keeping myself from idols. But if I spend time on my hair for the purpose of honoring God such as enjoying it as His creation or making it beautiful in order to reflect a lovlier picture of His image, then I know I am still centered on worshipping Him and all is well. :)

Though I joke about it, in all seriousness I do keep tabs on my heart to make sure I keep my priorities straight. Being new to the forum I'm a bit into overdrive right now, and knowing myself I expect the initial excitement to crest soon and then fall back to a more "average" level. Truth be told, as much as I like my hair--it's dead. And, just as an example to compare that to...my family is still alive. So when it comes down to spending time with my hair vs. spending time with my family, family wins every time.

I'm not trying to imply that other people here are neglecting life responsibilities--obviously, I have no way of knowing that so it'd be just plain silly for me to even attempt to judge. :rolleyes: But I just know that for myself, yes, "hair obsession" is now something I watch for in order to keep my heart from sinful idolatry and as part of following the commandment to "love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind."

Nat242
April 21st, 2009, 02:52 AM
I'm not obsessed with my hair. I joined LHC because I was having huge trouble getting my hair below APL, and wanted to find out more about henna. There was problem two or three months of fervent experimentation, and I did have a lot to learn about managing long hair (having only had short hair before). Now that I've got a working routine I don't think about my hair very much at all.

I may be slightly vain about my hair (I think it's pretty and take pleasure showing it off every now and again), but I'm not obsessed at all. I came to LHC for hair tips, but I stay because I like the people here.

jel
April 21st, 2009, 03:00 AM
I think of my hair interest not as an obsession, but as a hobby! :D

Caring for my hair fits in my life, it hasn't taken over - and my OH, family and friends (though some of them sometimes gently tease me about it) agree. I take care of my hair in the same way that I look after my body - but I show it off more boldly! ;)

Regarding the internet fostering obsessive behaviour, I'm not sure about that. Being able to find any kind of information (or misinformation) on the web may have made it easier for obsessive personalities. However, a beloved family member has been suffering from OCD since before the internet, and if anything, learning about the disorder online has helped them understand and manage it better.

HotRag
April 21st, 2009, 03:33 AM
As long as my "obsession" with my hair doesn't intrude to my daily life/ability to do daily shores and so on, it is no problem for me.

For now it is all fun to think of hair, make complicated hair washes, count shedded hair, make total S&Ds :)

Natalia
April 21st, 2009, 04:33 AM
For me i think taking care of my hair and reading up on new things falls more into vanity than obsession i'll admit that :p. I like to look nice always have, when i was healthy one of my favorite pleasures was to dress to the nines whether that was in jeans or a silk dress. Ive always enjoyed experimenting with makeup/clothes/hairstyles and sometimes it would slow me up but not enough to be an interferance. In my opinion as long as it doesnt hinder its not harmful :). I belong to a number of forums as well and alot of times they help me find peace either in distraction or through information.

Just my two cents :p,
Natalia

Aditi
April 21st, 2009, 04:46 AM
I am not "hair obsessed" as far as i know, i have not done anything out of my way for hair care like applying henna or doing SMT and so on. I just make sure that whatever care i take is not a hassle for me to include it in my daily routine.

Unofficial_Rose
April 21st, 2009, 05:40 AM
I actually think I am a bit too obsessed with my hair, to the extent that I've considered not going on to LHC in the hope that my obsession subsides.

Trouble is, I'm not working at the moment, so I've got more time on my hands than I know what to do with. :rolleyes:

Fethenwen
April 21st, 2009, 05:56 AM
I actually think I am a bit too obsessed with my hair, to the extent that I've considered not going on to LHC in the hope that my obsession subsides.

Trouble is, I'm not working at the moment, so I've got more time on my hands than I know what to do with. :rolleyes:
Same here, I have not that much left to do in school, so I spend much time on the internet and on LHC ^^ maybe a bit too much.

Shanarana
April 21st, 2009, 06:10 AM
I also am not working at the moment and have a lot of things on my plate right now. I'd rather hang out in the forums than do things that are destructive to myself....for instance thinking about my situation and going out and getting drunk.

Silver & Gold
April 21st, 2009, 06:25 AM
I would say that when I first began to grow my hair out again that I was very focused on my hair. Finding LHC was very helpful because I learned a lot about taking better care of my hair. But I admit that it was also very difficult for me to be patient with my short, damaged hair when I saw so many lovely photos of women who were already at the place with their hair that I was hoping to be someday. But as time went by and my hair began to show signs of improving and getting longer I get less and less focused on my hair.

As a matter of fact. After being a member here for a bit over a year and learning how to care for my hair in more natural ways I'm finding I spend less and less time on my hair. When my hair was short I had to wash and style every day to get it to look nice. I often used a flat iron or set it on large rollers to get it to look right. It was such a pain in the @$$ that this was part of the reason I wanted to grow it longer. I was tired of the upkeep of styling and coloring my hair.

Now I am free from coloring, free from products and daily washing and styling. My hair looks good with simple air drying and I can pin it up for a different look, to keep it out of my way when working out or doing chores or if I want to put off washing it for another day. I'm very happy with my choice and as I've said, although I was quite focused on my hair at first - quite possibly to the point of obsession - this has died down as progress was made on the health and growth of my hair.

I think I tend to select various hobbies to focus on in my life to keep from getting bored and to learn new things. My hobbies over the years have been playing the piano, singing, acting, cooking, genealogy, knitting and crocheting, sewing, origami, various types of yoga, various dance forms, pilates, various balance activities (big ball, wobble board, etc.) I've studied many, many things such as tantra, massage, acupressure, shiatsu, eastern philosophy, music theory and rhythm, the list is loooong.

My new interest is growing an indoor herbal garden. I've started with basil, rosemary and mint. If I manage to succeed without killing my new plant babies, I'll expand to other herbs.

I think I get a bit obsessed with every new thing until I've mastered it and then I move on to the next thing. So I'm quite certain I can say that I was obsessed with hair for a while. Now that I've figured some things out and am on my way with my hair I still care about learning and sharing what I know about hair but much less so as time goes by and I find other interests.

Teazel
April 21st, 2009, 06:32 AM
I think I get a bit obsessed with every new thing until I've mastered it and then I move on to the next thing. So I'm quite certain I can say that I was obsessed with hair for a while. Now that I've figured some things out and am on my way with my hair I still care about learning and sharing what I know about hair but much less so as time goes by and I find other interests.

This is me, too. :) A little obsession is not necessarily a bad thing; it allows us to focus our learning. Let's call it passion, rather than obsession! :cheese:

Elbereth
April 21st, 2009, 07:23 AM
I wouldn't say I am obsessed. Haircare is my only hobby that I do just for the pleasure of it. I have a lot of other things to occupy my free time, but they are always useful or productive in some way. Sometimes, I have less time and energy to dedicate for it (and I post much less), at other times I enjoy it more. To me, LHC and haircare are pure relaxation. :cloud9: Natural haircare has also inspired me in learning the skill of making soap and shampoo at home. Another good thing is that LHC also helps me maintain and even improve my English skills. I need English in my work, but opportunities to actually communicate in English still do not present themselvels everyday. Hmm...maybe this is a "useful hobby" after all...

My haircare routine is very simple and has remained essentially the same for years. So I am not "obsessing" about that either. Lately, I have felt I need some new styling and hairtoy inspiration, and as always, from LHC I have found just what I have been looking for.

SHELIAANN1969
April 21st, 2009, 07:31 AM
I know that I'm obsessed, and I embrace it! :D It's better that getting high, more fun than drinking alcohol and doesn't hurt anyone.

It gives me something to focus on and I am happily obsessed. ;)

SHELIAANN1969
April 21st, 2009, 07:32 AM
I also am not working at the moment and have a lot of things on my plate right now. I'd rather hang out in the forums than do things that are destructive to myself....for instance thinking about my situation and going out and getting drunk.

Exactly!!

Right on Shanarana, its therapeutic. :)

KajiKodomo
April 21st, 2009, 07:35 AM
I admit that I'm a bit obsessed. However, the only person that knows it is me, as I'm not obvious about it when I'm around my family/friends (well, y'all know now, but you know what I mean!).

From growing out from very short a few times, I've come to realize that the shorter it is, the more obsessed I am with it. I am constantly wishing and hoping that it will grow faster, measuring it more than I should, and running my fingers through it. As it gets longer, it's not as bad for me, as I can just put it it up and forget about it, haha. :D

Shanarana
April 21st, 2009, 07:42 AM
Maybe they will come out with a pill for that like they do for everything else......geeze, everything is under a microscope these days.

Juanita
April 21st, 2009, 07:47 AM
My youngest daughter thinks I'm a bit hair obsessed.

Dreams_in_Pink
April 21st, 2009, 07:58 AM
I've come to realize that the shorter it is, the more obsessed I am with it. I am constantly wishing and hoping that it will grow faster, measuring it more than I should, and running my fingers through it. As it gets longer, it's not as bad for me, as I can just put it it up and forget about it, haha. :D

I second that. I don't remember using irons as frequently as i do now in my whole lifetime.

Darkhorse1
April 21st, 2009, 09:00 AM
I don't think we are obsessed. Obsessions are when they take over your every waking moment. I don't think anyone here doesn't live life so they don't wreck their hair ;)

I've always loved learning new styles, long hair and looking for new products/hair accessories. This place was an amazing find, and the people are awesome to boot!!

I'm much less focused on my hair than when I was younger. But, I realized I was taking poor care of it, and when I found LHC, the care of my hair greatly improved.

Hair is part of how we feel about ourselves. If we look good, we feel good, and I do believe a study was done eons ago that said women AND men focus a lot on hair. It's even between both genders--women just chat more about it ;)

pdy2kn6
April 21st, 2009, 09:22 AM
i have a really addictive personality, which leads me to get hooked on things really easily. over the summer i was really obsessed, in terms of checking growth everyday, and always looking at new ways of styling my hair...but now i have realised there's no point. it wont grow over night. So now i just try and put it up, and use the benign neglect method. its great that i am no longer obsessing over it, because i used to spend hours looking, styling and SD'ing in the mirror, counting down the days until it was past knee length...silly of me.

Amoretti
April 21st, 2009, 09:33 AM
Teazel said:
Let's call it passion, rather than obsession!

Sounds good to me! :D

HairyCarrie
April 21st, 2009, 09:35 AM
My passion mirrors the description given by Silver & Gold. When I first joined LHC, I was on the site constantly and nearly exclusively, backreading posts, blogs and articles to learn everything I could. Now that my hair is growing and feeling good, I find *internet-wise* I'm branching out to other sites (though I'm still here the most).

Just yesterday I spent the day watching Youtube Broadway musical numbers from various plays and researching the performers. Hmmmmmmmmm... a new obsession?

Anje
April 21st, 2009, 10:07 AM
I don't think I'm hair-obsessed. I found the site under odd, non-hair circumstances (I wanted to find new ways to fold my menstrual cup!), thought it looked kinda cool, and stuck around. Decided that maybe I didn't need to hack off a few inches of perfectly good hair after all.

I went through a bit of a hair-obsessed stage, which LHC seems to bring out and encourage, but now I've gone into a comfortable, benign mode. It's not exactly benign neglect, because I'm too much of an experimenter for that, and it's fun to find things in the kitchen to smear in my hair. But my hair obsession has mellowed to the level of "hobby," which I think is quite healthy. I get some OCD moments when S&Ding, but that's really more of a personal quirk that takes many forms, and it really isn't linked to hair.

Now this forum/internet obsession.... That's another story!

spidermom
April 21st, 2009, 10:21 AM
I'm too obsessed with this hair site; that I know. As for my hair - I've gotten over it.

Spike
April 21st, 2009, 10:58 AM
What an interesting thread!

I think it's easy to fall into obsessions with various passions and hobbies, but as other members have commented, at least this one has you doing thing that are generally good for your health (eat a balanced diet, get plenty of sleep, exercise, drink water) as opposed to chemically altering one's consciousness, losing touch with one's real life relationships in favor of on-line communication.

For me, this forum is about getting in touch with my vanity--I want my hair to be as pretty and healthy as it can be, I want to have a variety of ways to display it that make other people look and ask how I did THAT. It's the same reason I CrossFit---I want to be able to lift heavy things, run fast, and do some entry-level arial gymnastics.

Neither forum has taken over my life to the extent that I neglect work or love. It's a piece of how I roll.

Islandgrrl
April 21st, 2009, 11:05 AM
I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with my hair at all.

I came here looking for knowledge so I could better care for my hair since the first go around with ultra long hair ended badly because I didn't really know how to deal with it properly. It was hair, it was there, I liked it, but it frustrated me.

I got what I wanted here: an understanding about how to deal with the daily adventure that is my hair. But I got more than I bargained for - way more. Which is why I stick around. I gained friends and acquaintances around the world, some of whom I've been privileged to meet in real life.

Priceless and irreplaceable.

lora410
April 21st, 2009, 11:16 AM
I was obsessed with growth and health when I first came here. That lasted almost a year until I got to BSL. Now I am content to leave it be even if I still wish it would grow faster.

RustedAngel
April 21st, 2009, 11:47 AM
I think my interest in hair can be a bit suboptimal at times. For instance, a lot of times if women (acquaintances or friends) are talking about hair and care I will join the conversation and give advice, but I feel like I get adverse reactions from this, like women don't care for guys being interested in hair. Maybe it's just the advice part I should lay off - I certainly get really tired of hearing about how I should cut my hair. I wouldn't say I'm obsessed by any means, but I do think I should tone down talking about hair a bit :-/

Rebelkat
April 21st, 2009, 11:56 AM
Let's call it passion, rather than obsession! :cheese:
That sounds good to me! I don't consider anything an "obsession" if it doesn't become harmful to the person or the people they're around or begin to influence too many decisions in their life. Like I said in my original post, most people on LHC begin to make decisions that benefit their entire bodies, not just their hair, so being slightly obsessed with hair has actually had good side effects. As long as a person doesn't begin to choose hair toys, conditioner, etc over necessities like food and shelter, it's not a problem.

Having OCD and Asperger's syndrome, I'm prone to behavior that some people consider strange and obsessive, but I'm still able to function fairly well. I have a tendency to have to do things over and over until what I'm doing meets my satisfaction; I also have a one-track mind, meaning that anything I'm doing I have to finish as soon and completely as possible or I won't be able to focus on anything else. However, most of the time this works to my benefit and isn't harmful. Hair is just one of the things that I can be one-track minded about. So far it hasn't got in the way of anything important, so I just let it be. As long as I don't start missing homework assignments because I've been S&Ding, for example, it's not a big deal IMO.
:shrug:

Islandgrrl
April 21st, 2009, 12:04 PM
I think my interest in hair can be a bit suboptimal at times. For instance, a lot of times if women (acquaintances or friends) are talking about hair and care I will join the conversation and give advice, but I feel like I get adverse reactions from this, like women don't care for guys being interested in hair. Maybe it's just the advice part I should lay off - I certainly get really tired of hearing about how I should cut my hair. I wouldn't say I'm obsessed by any means, but I do think I should tone down talking about hair a bit :-/

I don't know....I'd be thrilled to get hair advice from a guy with hair as fab as yours. Why your advice should be less valuable than a woman's perplexes me.

Honey39
April 21st, 2009, 12:10 PM
This is such a gentle, peaceful interest, I cannot think it's bad to be honest. Also, my self-esteem is hugely raised because I have beautiful hair now every day.

I think LHC is a little like a gardening site or something. It's natural and gentle and slow, and all about the growing and being nurturing. I find a quiet sensuality in my hair for me, when it brushes against my back or my boyfriend likes playing with it.

But I am not obsessed - I would never not do an activity because of my hair, or fuss too much about it. I do like looking at people's hair here too - is it weird how delighted I am by 'progress' pics? I LOVE them!

Islandgrrl
April 21st, 2009, 12:12 PM
But I am not obsessed - I would never not do an activity because of my hair, or fuss too much about it. I do like looking at people's hair here too - is it weird how delighted I am by 'progress' pics? I LOVE them!

I don't think it's weird at all. In fact, one of the things I love most about this community is our collective ability to not only encourage but be thrilled and take joy in the success of others.

susiemw
April 21st, 2009, 12:30 PM
I'm not obsessed with my hair. I never have been.
I'm a benign neglect kind of gal.

However, I've had long hair for
50 years and am enjoying *finally* learning different styles
and ways to care to my hair. Not to mention hair toys!

Before LHC, all I could do were english braids, french braids and ponytails. I just wish i would
have had LHC back in high school instead of waiting to
be 50 years old to figure out various ways to wear my
hair.

learning how to do different styles is just part of my life just like reading, gardening, quilting, working, geneaology etc. I have lots of interests but that's part of being a well rounded person. obsessed? nope. :)

susan

Tressie
April 21st, 2009, 12:35 PM
What Teazel said!! (o:

Anje
April 21st, 2009, 12:52 PM
One thing I know is true....

For many years, when people told me they loved my hair, I would answer, "Want to trade?" It was always a great color that gathered comments, but fine and fluffy and flyaway, and I didn't quite know what to do about it.

Now I like my hair. I wouldn't trade it (not for more than a few days anyway). LHC has done that for me.

Fethenwen
April 21st, 2009, 12:56 PM
Damn, I would be intrigued if a guy would show interest in talking about hair! Well at least you can talk about such things with us without anyone raising an eyebrow :)

punkgirl89
April 21st, 2009, 01:18 PM
I definately think I am a bit obsessed right now. I have very short hair and remember what it was like to have hair at bsl just over a year ago (I shaved my head due to bleach damage and somehow didn't manage to learn my lesson quite then). My hair has grown an inch since I joined 2 months ago (virgin!) and my hair health has greatly improved. However, it is in an awkward growing out phase and I often feel my bad hairstyle is hiding me behind a viel of ugliness.

I come on this forum fairly often to encourage myself, but at the same time I find my self horribly jealous and frustrated. I think once I hit chin length this will begin to disapear though. Hopefully I will be there by the fall...

longhairedfairy
April 21st, 2009, 02:25 PM
A liking for something is completely different from an obsession with it.

neon-dream
April 21st, 2009, 02:27 PM
I am not obsessed with my hair, I just like keeping it healthy and growing it long. After all, who wants damaged and unhealthy looking hair?

Ndnlady
April 21st, 2009, 03:25 PM
I think of my hair as a hobby, not an obsession. The tips I get off of LHC have worked very well not just for me, but for the rest of my family. My daughter kind of followed suit which was a good thing because she used to leave her hair looking like a big mop, and tangles galore!:)

RancheroTheBee
April 21st, 2009, 03:29 PM
For a while, I was completely obsessed. Mainly because there was a lot of stressful things going on in my life, and I dove into said obsession as a way of having some sort of control over my feelings.

Now that many of these stressful events are gone, I don't feel as obsessed. Rather, it is a hobby, and it's a hobby that I can gain a lot of knowledge on by coming here. :)

~*BeautyWitch*~
April 21st, 2009, 03:32 PM
I don't think I'm obsessed at all but if I feel I'm spending way too much time on hair forums I usually just log off and pick up my other hobby (playing The Sims 2). Which holds me over for weeks or even months at a time until I miss the forums. I know when to quit but not everyone does...

Aisha25
April 21st, 2009, 03:36 PM
I dont know when to quit :lol: Let me tell you without this place my hair and scalp would not be in the great condition it is now without my beloved LHC and the people! omg I love them so much, best friends I ever met and had:flowers:

I am happy to be obsessed with this place:D

dearladydisdain
April 21st, 2009, 03:52 PM
I feel like when events in my real life are taking me to a bad place mentally, I become more obsessed with my hair.

I don't think being obsessed with hair is necessarily bad, but for me it has caused me to become even more withdrawn from real life when I am feeling depressed. It felt like more of an unhealthy fixation. Maybe it's preferable to other escapes I have used, but I actually had to chop off most of my hair to get myself not to be so preoccupied with it. For me, when my hair is making me avoid activities, it's time for the hair to go.

Silverlox
April 21st, 2009, 03:56 PM
I'm all for calling it a passion and a hobby. Perhaps even a very mild obsession at times. But definitely not an obsession in the clinical sense!

My natural mode is benign neglect, which has worked well. However, coming here, I learned new things that were easily incorporated in my rather lazy routines and yet vastly improved the look of my hair. Let me just mention oiling.. :inlove:

For me, it's just one hobby, among several others. Since it only adds to my quality of life and doesn't detract anything, I see it as a Good Thing(tm). Apart from the hairtoys, it's rather low cost too. :D

So far it hasn't ever stopped me from doing anything I wanted. I just put it up in a braided bun, slap on a hat and it's well protected against almost anything. And, honestly, what's the worst that can happen? Hair grows, it's what it does. So it will continue to grow. :shrug:

After having been a member for about half a year, I took a hiatus of about 8 months because real life came in the way. During that time, I fell back into benign neglect mode, although I still used oil. This didn't hurt my hair one bit. And when life once again calmed down and I started to miss this site and all the wonderful people and discussions, I got back onboard.

LHGypsyRose
April 21st, 2009, 03:59 PM
I think I am obsessed also:D I am a stay at home Mom and I homeschool my children. I am around them for what seems like 24/7 sometimes. So when I need a break I come here and drift off into my own little world. Besides if I didn't, I would just be wrapped up in my other obsession anyway..jammin on my guitar:p

Ash
April 21st, 2009, 09:26 PM
This is a hair forum, so it could appear that we are all obsessed with hair. The same thing could apply with a chess forum, people there would appear to be obsessed with chess. ;)

I am not obsessed with my hair but I do consider it a hobby (among several others.) For me, it takes more time to care for my hair than to not care, but the change in condition is noticable so I do not think it is time wasted. I was gone from the forum for a while too to take care of some personal issues and I didn't suffer withdrawal or anything. The forum has helped my fiance, our cats, and me in different ways so I know they can't complain. :)

feralnature
April 21st, 2009, 09:39 PM
I believe that the vast majority of folks here are here for the right reasons, for education, friendship, exchange of ideas, and so on. But I do believe that there are a few here who could be clinically obcessed with their hair, just my opinion.

lynnala
April 21st, 2009, 09:43 PM
I actually come here more for the friends and chatting about all things now, not just hair. When I have a question about my hair, I find the answer. But for weeks at a time I'm here for the friendship!

pocahonta_s
April 21st, 2009, 10:18 PM
I've been told I was obsessed with my hair and that it was becoming too much (for instance when I refused to sleepover at my bf's house because it was hair-wash day!), but i think it is like most things: sometimes I am more obsessed with it and other times I get busy, I have other things going on in my life and I dont worry about it so much.

I agree with the idea that it can be a form of control: when other things arent going so well, it keeps me busy and focused on something so that the rest doesnt seem so bad.

Rebelkat
April 21st, 2009, 10:46 PM
I agree with the idea that it can be a form of control: when other things arent going so well, it keeps me busy and focused on something so that the rest doesnt seem so bad.
That's actually a very good way of putting it. It's one thing in our lives that we can have significant control over. It's a far less dangerous thing to become fixated on as something you can take control of than say... weight loss. Being fixated on keeping your hair healthy can actually promote more healthy behaviors like balanced diet and exercise, whereas if you become fixated on weight loss you can develop things like anorexia or bulimia that have absolutely NO positive side. I don't think trying to control a single element in your life is a problem, as long as it still gives you more positive feelings than it gives you stress. If it becomes particularly stressful, it's time to chill out.

Carolyn
April 22nd, 2009, 07:18 AM
I think of my hair as a hobby. A hobby I am passionate about. I'm also passionate about knitting and quilting :shrug: I think I could include make up too. I suppose some people would call all of those things obsessions. But so what? It's all for pleasure and enjoyment. All harmless fun IMO. I don't see any of it as a bad thing. But then I try not to overthink things :p

pocahonta_s
April 22nd, 2009, 07:29 AM
That's actually a very good way of putting it. It's one thing in our lives that we can have significant control over. It's a far less dangerous thing to become fixated on as something you can take control of than say... weight loss. Being fixated on keeping your hair healthy can actually promote more healthy behaviors like balanced diet and exercise, whereas if you become fixated on weight loss you can develop things like anorexia or bulimia that have absolutely NO positive side. I don't think trying to control a single element in your life is a problem, as long as it still gives you more positive feelings than it gives you stress. If it becomes particularly stressful, it's time to chill out.

Well I must say that this strikes a deep one for me, as I have been severely obsessed with my weight (and, as a result, fell into serious cases of both the aforementionned disorders), and during the long process of recovery and healing, found myself a "new" obsession - restoring my damaged hair to health. Some might conclude I just have an "obsessive" type of personality, but I think that, on the contrary, turning my attention to my hair has helped a little in turning it away from the rest of my body.

Self-analysis aside, I do think being a little hair-obsessed can be salutory in that it gives a positive thing to obsess about, with positive results.

Clarita
April 22nd, 2009, 08:17 AM
I would also call it a passion/hobby rather than an obsession. As someone who has been diagnosed with OCD, I don't usually use the term obsession unless the hobby/interest starts to interfere with daily life.

As long as caring for my hair doesn't start to take over my other interests or interfere with relationships I'm cool. :D

rhubarbarin
April 22nd, 2009, 09:06 AM
When I first joined here I was WAY too obsessed with my hair. It was exacerbated by all sorts of things going wrong with it - I was desperately trying to figure out why my hair was dryer than a desert and breaking off. I read about hair on the net all the time and looked in the mirror/inspected my ends/did S+D/measured my length and circ/felt desperate about how short my hair was...

Now, a year and a half later, I've figured out why my hair is crap, am treating it right and it's imporved a lot, I have a solid routine that works for me, and I no longer feel bad about my hair as it is right now. I have a long way to go, but am content to just relax and let it grow. I still spend a lot of time on LHC but mostly on the off-topic boards and reading people's blogs. I even only measure my hair once a month.

JamieLeigh
April 22nd, 2009, 09:12 AM
I personally am quite happy to obsess over my hair. I had an eating disorder in my teen years, and I obsessed over my body weight until I had to be hospitalized for about a month, due to not eating. My parents did wrong, IMO, for not getting me psychological treatment, and I didn't know enough at age 15 to ask for it myself. I think they just didn't want to admit that something might have been wrong with me, and neither did I. :(

However, it still surfaces time and again, in a lesser sense thank goodness, and I feel that I was very fortunate to find that I love having long hair again, and that I have something better to direct my personal attention toward. I don't consider it narcissism or anything like that, because I think it's healthy to care about your appearance to a certain extent, and certainly I don't have the time to devote to myself in an extreme way because I have a husband and 5 small children to care for! :pinktongue:

But I think that if I wasn't "obsessing" over my hair and measuring it, I would be obsessing over my weight and measuring my waistline. And I probably wouldn't be making healthy decisions about how to get my body where I want it to be, versus getting my hair to look nice and healthy.

At least this way I'm doing good things for/to myself.

Just my :twocents:

lhangel9
May 16th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Yes! I'm obsessed with my hair and always have been! It hasn't caused any trauma for me except for the stress of not having the length that I want. The variety of supplements, herbs and vitamins for growing my hair, has also made my health much better . :cheese: A lot of things that I'd normally dislike due to the taste have increased the volume and health of both my hair and body. It's mainly due to my obsession with my hair that I found out about so many nutrients. Obsessed? Why Yes!

Dementia1013
May 16th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I am definitely the first to admit that I have a hair obsession. I just figure that it's better than being obsessed with drugs or alcohol, so I shrug it off... and buy a new hair accessory. lol.

Jules diamond
May 16th, 2009, 07:20 PM
My mom tells me that I am. I don't know if I am or not, I'm just concerned that it's healthy and growing!

zen_oven
May 16th, 2009, 07:33 PM
My husband would probably say that I am, but I don't think so. I guess I paid a lot more attention to my hair and spent a lot more time on LHC in the first six months after I joined. I haven't had much time since then. I go through phases with it, I suppose. Interested, yes. Obsessed, no.

Saraesa
May 19th, 2009, 02:53 AM
I don't think I'm obsessed with my hair. *stops to see if hair has grown in the past 5 seconds for the tenth time.:cheese:* hehe
Well maybe just a little bit. Stops to think about all the money spent on hair care esp the fancy flat irons and blow dryers that are collecting dust since they've been banished from my hair as they are the long hair enemy and all 20+ conditioners that all over my place my moms house and the SOs place. Correction maybe its more than a little obsessed

Sasha_S
May 19th, 2009, 04:54 AM
I'm definitely too obsessed with my hair. I frequently loose sleep laying thinking about my hair! It's terrible.
x

tiny_teesha
May 19th, 2009, 05:45 AM
I'm obsessive compulsive by nature, and so long as im not obsessing on how much i hate my hair, i think, "what ever floats your boat" attitude. Many have had to take a step back because they felt themselves getting too obsessed. Which is fine. So long as it doesn't interferr with ones happiness what ever! :)

Rapunzal2Be
May 19th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I think when I find a new hobby or interest I do tend to get "obsessed" - but considering my last few new hobbies have been healthy hair, clean eating, and going back to grad school, I'd say I'm doing okay. ;)

I try to make sure not to go off the deep end with buying too many new products or jumping in without thinking things through and try not to stress over things and then as long as I'm enjoying myself and not hurting anyone I don't worry.

Debra83
May 19th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I, too, try to watch myself with "hair obsession". For me personally, being a Christian, nothing is ever supposed to be so important that I spent more time focusing on that thing, thinking about that thing, spending money on that thing, and enjoying that thing than I do on God. Basically, to use religious terminology, that would mean I have stopped worshiping God and instead began worshiping my hair, in this case. It's a strange comparison; biblically, this topic falls into the category of keeping myself from idols. But if I spend time on my hair for the purpose of honoring God such as enjoying it as His creation or making it beautiful in order to reflect a lovlier picture of His image, then I know I am still centered on worshipping Him and all is well. :)

Though I joke about it, in all seriousness I do keep tabs on my heart to make sure I keep my priorities straight. Being new to the forum I'm a bit into overdrive right now, and knowing myself I expect the initial excitement to crest soon and then fall back to a more "average" level. Truth be told, as much as I like my hair--it's dead. And, just as an example to compare that to...my family is still alive. So when it comes down to spending time with my hair vs. spending time with my family, family wins every time.

I'm not trying to imply that other people here are neglecting life responsibilities--obviously, I have no way of knowing that so it'd be just plain silly for me to even attempt to judge. :rolleyes: But I just know that for myself, yes, "hair obsession" is now something I watch for in order to keep my heart from sinful idolatry and as part of following the commandment to "love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind."

Exactly as this says. Plus I have to watch the tendency I get to be narcissistic about my hair. I catch myself trying to get a glimpse in windows as I walk by to see the length!!!

I'm hoping once I get my length back - I won't be obsessive about it anymore. I've had it long twice in my eyes (waist) and I never even really bothered with it other than washing and throwing it up in an updo out the way.

Merewen
May 19th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I tend to get a little on the obsessed side when I start something new and fun. Since I just found this site maybe a month ago, this hair thing is still "new and fun".
I have 4 tabs open in my browser right now. One is this site (of course!). One is a search of hair sticks on Etsy. The other two are Chagrin Valley tabs - shampoo and lotion. So you tell me :D
I expect it to die down soon so I can get to the comfortable benign neglect that has always tended to be the norm with my hair.

cynthia.md
May 19th, 2009, 01:04 PM
What an interesting read, thanks for posting this topic!

SimplySmile
March 25th, 2019, 08:28 AM
I think I am definitely in this boat.

At what point does a hobbie turn into an obsession?

I think mine stems from my big chop of TBL to BSL. I just don't feel like me anymore and I miss my long hair. I had thought I wanted a change and I was obsessed with the idea of doing a big chop. So I did it and now I regret it and want nothing more then to grow it back. I thought that joining LHC and Instagram and trying to connect with other people going through similar things would help me.. So far I think it is not so much helping as it is stressing me out. I work an office job so I will normally just leave a tab open of instagram and the LHC during the day. I catch myself comparing my hair growth journey to other people. Sometimes it is motivating to see my hair grows quicker but then sometimes it seems like other people are growing their hair back from the big chop quicker then I am. I feel as if this is contributing to added stress. Not to mention the whole measuring hair trap.. That is the worst. I become obsessed with measuring it and get bummed when I don't see a difference in a few days.

I think the only solution would be to take a step back. Maybe try deactivating my instagram to resist the temptation of checking in on my fellow hair growers and to stop measuring my hair.. Am I the only one that is going through this or do other people get hair obsessed? Is this considered normal for anyone?

Thankfully I have some self restraint and I don't go on LHC or instagram outside of work hours. It is just something I let myself indulge in to make the day go by a little quicker - So maybe it is not as bad as I thought?

I like the idea of being part of a community where we are all a little hair obsessed but at what point does it become unhealthy?

BerrySara
March 25th, 2019, 09:01 AM
I think I am definitely in this boat.

At what point does a hobbie turn into an obsession?

I think mine stems from my big chop of TBL to BSL. I just don't feel like me anymore and I miss my long hair. I had thought I wanted a change and I was obsessed with the idea of doing a big chop. So I did it and now I regret it and want nothing more then to grow it back. I thought that joining LHC and Instagram and trying to connect with other people going through similar things would help me.. So far I think it is not so much helping as it is stressing me out. I work an office job so I will normally just leave a tab open of instagram and the LHC during the day. I catch myself comparing my hair growth journey to other people. Sometimes it is motivating to see my hair grows quicker but then sometimes it seems like other people are growing their hair back from the big chop quicker then I am. I feel as if this is contributing to added stress. Not to mention the whole measuring hair trap.. That is the worst. I become obsessed with measuring it and get bummed when I don't see a difference in a few days.

I think the only solution would be to take a step back. Maybe try deactivating my instagram to resist the temptation of checking in on my fellow hair growers and to stop measuring my hair.. Am I the only one that is going through this or do other people get hair obsessed? Is this considered normal for anyone?

Thankfully I have some self restraint and I don't go on LHC or instagram outside of work hours. It is just something I let myself indulge in to make the day go by a little quicker - So maybe it is not as bad as I thought?

I like the idea of being part of a community where we are all a little hair obsessed but at what point does it become unhealthy?

I have to say I definitely can relate to this. I find myself going back and forth over the line of hair hobby to hair obsessed to hair hobby.

Last year I was on Instagram obsessively following other curly haired instagrammers and found myself checking those perfectly polished photos multiple times a day which really added up over the course of a day. It was becoming an obsession, easily. For me, I was so insecure and upset about how short my hair was (big chopped to pixie) and I just kept going to Instagram to look at pictures of what my hair had the potential to look like as a means to comfort myself. But it was also self defeating at the same time, because it prevented me from enjoying my hair at its current lengths. Whatever current state my hair was in was never enough and I always felt stuck in this waiting phase. Fall of last year I decided to close my Instagram account and get off it for a long while. Sorta like a complete reset.

I think LHC for me isn't as intense. It isn't constantly bombardment of unrealistic polished photos enhanced to perfection. The variety of photos you see here are of real men and women of all ages, shapes, types of textures and various goals. It has far more of an interactive community feeling. Here you can directly speak with people going through a similar journey or hair length for support and even talk non hair related things. However, there are still times here I have to step back and take some time off.

Obsession over hair growth is like plopping down and intensely watching grass grow. Let's be real, that isn't fun or good use of time. Sometimes its great to step away, occupy one's mind with other things and then come back and see periodic progress.

If anything, I think that definitely applies to constantly measuring hair for length checks.

Simpscone
March 25th, 2019, 09:43 AM
I can really relate to this too. For me I think it might be more an obsession with hair growth as opposed to simply hair in general.

It's different for everyone, but I'm definitely someone with an "obsessive" personality, in that I get fixated on something and it's all I can think about. I think it's more common for people with shorter hair growing it out to feel it may be an unhealthy "obsession" because it takes such a long time for your hair to get anywhere. For me at least, I keep thinking how happy I'll feel when my hair is x-length and am just impatient with how it doesn't look to be growing fast enough!

Once you get to a certain length and health, I can imagine being satisfied with your hair results in it feeling more like a hobby again.

I'm also currently obsessed with making my curls the best they can be, which results in me constantly touching my hair and wanting to always wash it just to try out different "curl" techniques! But I'm trying to be good and stick to what is best for my hair.

Glad I'm not the only one!

Dark40
March 25th, 2019, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I feel that I have an obsession over my hair. Because, I want to make sure that it well-taken care of but I also obsess over other people's hair as well. I can admit it that I just obsessed with hair overall. :) I just love hair!

bparnell75
March 25th, 2019, 11:53 AM
I do consider my hair and hair toys my hobby. But as I have reached [just two inches to classic] my hair goal and life has presented me with
challenges I find the obsession is less. Now I just try to enjoy my hair and try to do different of my well practiced buns. I now have a new goal. Make it about the hair do and not the hair toy!

Natalia_A00
March 25th, 2019, 02:09 PM
Hmm maybe I'm a little bit obsessed with my hair. Nothing too worrying though. For example, I don't feel comfortable at the beach anymore (well, I hated the sand before too lol) because I feel like I'm destroying my hair. I went on a trip to the coast with my friends and I complained a lot about the constant routine of swimming pool - sun - beach - sand. They saw me using olive oil in a desperate attempt to bring my hair back to life and they laughed at me. Maybe I'm weird? :confused: Now I don't like the idea of trips to the coast and spending all day at the beach!
I also have to exercise because I have a very severe scoliosis but I don't like the idea of going to the swimming pool, because chlorine damages hair (but I still go). I wet my hair and I bring oil (a tiny bottle) with me to the swimming pool

I think I care more about hair than the average person. For me it's not "just hair", or something I can fry and destroy and just start over. That's not necessarily a bad thing. As a lot of people have said in this thread, it's like a hobby. My father likes to buy lanterns on Amazon (he likes going to the countryside), I like looking for new hair products. Of course, it's not my only hobby!

Natalia_A00
March 25th, 2019, 02:11 PM
I also have to say that now that my hair is longer, I'm not so "obsessed" with it. Last year I went to the hairdresser for a trim and when I saw they had cut too much (it was not that bad, I was exaggerating) I cried for hours. I just wanted to have long hair. Now I'm not so apprehensive about trims.