PDA

View Full Version : Progress Report (Pics). Want Feedback Please. :)

LittleOrca
April 21st, 2009, 12:00 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2521&pictureid=31414 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2521&pictureid=37313
Feb. 2009 .................................................. ......................................... April 2009

So I took another picture that resembled the one done in Feb to see if I could notice the growth. I partially have, even without the picture, but I have been so paranoid about having to do a huge cut for damage, I don't know if I am fooling myself into seeing more than there is. I am also getting more paranoid about swimming, even though I am using a cap now. My hair in the April picture is a little "fluffed" from just being down today. Normally I am keeping it up.

Do you see any growth or is it my imagination? And other than oiling and my MSM, is there anything anyone can suggest to baby my ends so I don't have to cut them right now ( i know MSM isn't really for the ends as much as the roots, but just noting what I use)? My goal is to get my shorter ends to classic then cut across bluntly.

I just want my goal hair so bad :cry:

Nightshade
April 21st, 2009, 12:06 AM
I do think it's looking better, sweetie :flowers:

That said, I do recommend frequent micro-trims, it wasn't until I did that that my hair started "growing" as it finally stopped breaking off faster than it was growing :rolleyes:

Also, in my experience, really damaged hair doesn't always respond the best to oils. I had better luck with Fox's Shea conditioning cream :)

RancheroTheBee
April 21st, 2009, 12:07 AM
I see a difference. Did you take the picture at a different angle? Even if you did, there's a difference. :)

I know you do CO washes, and use a swim cap. I think you're doing the best you can to baby your ends. Just hang in there!

feralnature
April 21st, 2009, 12:11 AM
I can easily see growth. I use coconut oil and take biotin and have been getting good growth. I wish I could swim so much that I had to worry about my hair! No place to swim around here :(

LittleOrca
April 21st, 2009, 12:12 AM
I see a difference. Did you take the picture at a different angle? Even if you did, there's a difference. :)

I know you do CO washes, and use a swim cap. I think you're doing the best you can to baby your ends. Just hang in there!

The second one's angle was a little off. I also put my arms up because I thought I had in the first picture and I couldn't remember. The first picture was based off this one (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2521&pictureid=31292) from about 2007, but I was trying to catch an angle that wasn't a friend on a step ladder or me leaning to the side looking at an imaginary snake. (It was for a painting based on a real event of me playing my harp in a wooded area and a snake came out of the grass and coiled up next to me to 'listen'.)

LittleOrca
April 21st, 2009, 12:20 AM
I do think it's looking better, sweetie :flowers:

That said, I do recommend frequent micro-trims, it wasn't until I did that that my hair started "growing" as it finally stopped breaking off faster than it was growing :rolleyes:

I have done some micro trims of the ends. I trimmed off about 1.5 inches from the tip of my 'V' that were really damaged. I also do S&D's but I think I need to get a sharper pair of scissors to snip the ends with.

manderly
April 21st, 2009, 12:21 AM
I can see growth, but I agree that you are leaning back in the second photo, causing it to look like you have more length than you really do. But it is there! ;)

I agree with Nightshade, microtrims and TLC. Oils tend to make really damaged hair just feel crunchy.

Samikha
April 21st, 2009, 12:31 AM
There is definitely growth! It looks good :) It seems fuller. Regarding your ends, I agree with Nightshade that frequent microtrims are usually the best remedy. I must say, I envy your colour - it's so rich, absolutely stunning. :thud:

nayver
April 21st, 2009, 01:51 AM
I do see progress, and I see that you have a gorgeous princess hair. Congrats!!!

LutraLutra
April 21st, 2009, 02:16 AM
I'd certainly say your hair has grown.

To be honest with you, your hair...

1. is really, really (really) long, actually.
2. has an amazing colour
3. has a beautiful wave pattern.

Frankly, if my hair looks liked yours does right now, I'd be thrilled. :)

Aditi
April 21st, 2009, 05:20 AM
I see progress in your length and health of your hair. Keep up :thumbsup:

GlassEyes
April 21st, 2009, 05:25 AM
I have done some micro trims of the ends. I trimmed off about 1.5 inches from the tip of my 'V' that were really damaged. I also do S&D's but I think I need to get a sharper pair of scissors to snip the ends with.

Could be that. If the scissors aren't sharp enough, they can cause the snip to leave behind damage and split further. It's not fun. ):

Also, it looks a bit better to me, but I can't offer any more advice than the others. I will second Nightshade on the Conditioning Cream though. It works really well on damaged hair, especially on my damaged ends.

Unofficial_Rose
April 21st, 2009, 06:18 AM
I do think it's grown. But really, what I notice most is the really pretty colour, shine and wave pattern*.

*Experiencing severe hair envy over here! :p

KajiKodomo
April 21st, 2009, 06:50 AM
I see some growth, congrats! :D Your hair is beautiful, by the way!

pdy2kn6
April 21st, 2009, 06:55 AM
yeah i think its defo grown, the waves look amazing, and the colour. keep it up :)

JamieLeigh
April 22nd, 2009, 10:42 AM
I can definitely see some progress! :flower:

I couldn't take the worrying anymore, and I had to go on and cut some of my damage off. I'm not saying anything about your hair or your choices, but for me personally it was better to just quit worrying about it and just do it. Now I'm back to worrying about being classic length again, but I know my hair will grow. I've never had a stall before, and since I'm eating healthy and taking plenty of vitamins I'm not likely to have one now either.

That said, sometimes a microtrim of less than half an inch can work wonders. In my case, I did about an inch and a half, but I'm happier with the way it looks and the ends don't feel nearly as crunchy.

Your hair is beautiful, and will still be beautiful and LONG no matter which way you go. :)

janeytilllie
April 22nd, 2009, 11:11 AM
To me, it looks alot longer, looks healthy and thicker too :)

I baby my ends by applying coconut oil every night.
I also do S+Ds every night with very sharp scissors.
I agree with everyones advice :)

Euphony
April 22nd, 2009, 11:21 AM
I can see some progress, not sure if it's growth. What I see is some added fullness to the bottom.

enfys
April 22nd, 2009, 11:57 AM
Well I thought it was about your wave pattern at first.

It looks a bit longer, and a lot thicker at the ends. The front and sides have grown quite a bit. I'm jealous. They're my slow bits.

And that snake story is great! How did the painting come out inte end?

maskedrose
April 22nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
It does look better - I think your shorter side pieces are growing, but now sure about the bottom. I know you've been struggling with the damage for awhile, but if your goal is to get the shorter pieces to classic, you might get there faster if you get some of the damage off the bottom. Nothing drastic - either frequent micro-trims or a couple of one inch trims spaced over 6 months or so.

LittleOrca
April 22nd, 2009, 02:47 PM
And that snake story is great! How did the painting come out inte end?

It was definitely interesting! I painted it in a classical style, so I was nude. I was scared to crap to paint myself nude in it, especially being a big girl, but that added to the classicalness (yay for making up words!) of the image and my instructor loved it. (Which was funny because she usually hated my work.)

Thanks for all the kind words and advice everyone! I just needed the feedback to see if I was imagining things or not. I will try to get a photos that is angled better and matches the first one a lot closer soon. :)

kam984420
April 22nd, 2009, 02:49 PM
Your hair looks really thick and healthy! Keep up the good work.!

lora410
April 22nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
Looks like you grew a good 3 inches to me.

Carolyn
April 22nd, 2009, 03:01 PM
In the first picture you have one lock on the left side that appears to be 2-3" longer than the rest. In the second picture all of your hair looks longer. Some of it could be the way you are leaning. But I don't see the pronounced lopsided piece from the first pic. The right side looks like it's filled in quite a bit. I think your hair is growing very well. MSM has been wonderful for me in reducing my shed rate.

plainjanegirl
April 25th, 2009, 03:32 PM
What are you using? Your hair looks sooo thick and healthy.

Johanna64
April 25th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I love your hair,Little Orca!!
It's so healthy,thick and long :)

LittleOrca
April 25th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Attempts to get another photo to be closer to the first one has been put on hold for just a bit longer. Gotta love essays, tests, and homework! I had a few I thought, but the ends got cut-off in the photo. :rolleyes:

What are you using? Your hair looks sooo thick and healthy.

Do you mean shampoos or conditioners or routine?

Cantabile
April 25th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I think I see some growth there. You have to realize though, hair only grows about half an inch or so per month, so between Feb and April, there may have only been about an inch of growth, and that's not too noticeable sometimes.

On the plus side, your hair looks to be in pretty good condition. So long as your ends are breaking off from damage (swimming? chlorine? etc.), then you're bound to see longer lengths. :flowers:

plainjanegirl
April 26th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Attempts to get another photo to be closer to the first one has been put on hold for just a bit longer. Gotta love essays, tests, and homework! I had a few I thought, but the ends got cut-off in the photo. :rolleyes:

Do you mean shampoos or conditioners or routine?

Yes I would like to know your routine and also what products you use.

Maelyssa
April 26th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I absolutely see a difference in length.
And I second the microtrims!

LittleOrca
May 2nd, 2009, 03:41 AM
Yes I would like to know your routine and also what products you use.

My routine varies, but in general this is how it goes:

Regular Routine: Shampoo once/twice a week with Nexxus Shampoo and Conditioner (Moisturizing Line). I will then CO (conditioner only) wash up to 5 times a week with VO5, Herbal Essence, or Nexxus, but usually VO5 or HE. I do have a lave in conditioner spray by Nexxus I use from time to time when my hair is dry, and I am getting used to and loving Fox's Moisturizing Cream. I have a coconut oil serum I add to the ends of my hair sometimes, but a very small amount so my hair does not get oily.

Swimming Routine: Ion's Swimmer shampoo, Ion's swimmer conditioner, regular conditioner soak for 5 minutes (sometimes VO5 or Herbal Essence), coconut serum on the ends (at pool), air/blow dry (depending on how cold it is), comb. Then wash with Ion clarifying shampoo and a conditioner soak the next night again before slipping back into regular routine. Recently, I have found I can skip the Ion clarifying shampoo and go right back into my Nexxus-based routine and my hair responds a bit better than before.

Twice a Month: Deep cleansing shampoo to remove build up of hair products (if I use them, which I don't use gel or spray, products in this case are cones.)

List of products in my arsenal:

Nexxus Moisturizing Shampoo
Nexxus Moisturizing Conditioner
VO5 White Tea Nourishing Conditioner
VO5 Strawberry and Cream Moisturizing Conditioner
Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Anti-breakage Serum
Nexxus Moisturizing Spray Leave-in Conditioner
Fox's Moisturizing Cream (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586&highlight=Fox%27s+Shea+conditioning+cream)
Herbal Essence "Breaks Over"
Ion Swimmer's Shampoo
Ion Swimmer's Conditioner
Ion Swimmer's Conditioner Spray Leave-in (used as pre-swim treatment.)
Wide tooth combs (plastic and wood)
Regular Black Comb
Boar Bristle Brush (used sparingly to dispurse natural oils through hair)
There you have it. That is what works for me, and I am sure you know what works for one may not work for someone else the same way.

desertrose
May 2nd, 2009, 04:15 AM
your hair looks longer and thicker i see progress:D