PDA

View Full Version : I've gotten to the bottom of my split end problem. (Rant!)

RancheroTheBee
April 20th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I couldn't figure out why I had to do so many trims all of a sudden. I remember at the height of my hair abuse days, I didn't get this many splits and white dots.

So, I was sitting there S&Ding my hair for the eight millionth time this week. I snipped one of the hairs, and I realized a weird pattern. I was cutting the same hair over and over, and the white spot wasn't going away. I remember asking you guys if white ends were damage, and a few people said yes. So, I reached under my bed, pulled out my sewing basket and busted out the scissors I used to use for cutting thread. I trimmed off one of the white ends, and the little white end disappeared.

The reason I'm so P.O.ed about this is because I bought those other scissors FOR hair trimming. They said "hair shears" on them. And the scissors that came with my Little Mexican Sewing Machine* (es muy bueno!) work a million times better. :mad: I've cut off almost half an inch these past few months trying to keep the splits at bay, and all I had to do was throw away those crappy "hair shears"!

*: That's its name. It's a long story.

ETA: For the record, those shears cost me 20$. :mad: It seems like a lot to me, because I only work part time.

manderly
April 20th, 2009, 11:05 PM
That sucks! :justy:

I have to smack my BF down whenever I see him reaching for my shears to cut some random package open. Hopeless!

RancheroTheBee
April 20th, 2009, 11:06 PM
That sucks! :justy:

I have to smack my BF down whenever I see him reaching for my shears to cut some random package open. Hopeless!

:laugh: Doesn't it make you want to get a safe or something?

SheWolf
April 20th, 2009, 11:36 PM
:laugh: Doesn't it make you want to get a safe or something?

Forget the safe, just boobytrap the drawer/basket where the scissors are kept, it's cheaper! :draw:

DragonLady
April 20th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Forget the safe, just boobytrap the drawer/basket where the scissors are kept, it's cheaper! :draw:

Mousetraps do the job nicely. :p

RancheroTheBee
April 21st, 2009, 12:02 AM
Mousetraps do the job nicely. :p

One of my friends has a large collection of rat traps. She moved to Alberta from Colorado, not knowing that we don't HAVE rats. So. My new scissors will be protected well - three cheers for weird connections: :p

Heavenly Locks
April 21st, 2009, 01:01 AM
Oh that stinks!! I'm glad that you found the problem though...I have some cuticle scissors that I use because I haven't been able to go hair scissor shopping, now I am wondering just how BAD they are! :scared:

RancheroTheBee
April 21st, 2009, 01:30 AM
Oh that stinks!! I'm glad that you found the problem though...I have some cuticle scissors that I use because I haven't been able to go hair scissor shopping, now I am wondering just how BAD they are! :scared:

Are the cuticle scissors quite sharp? If so, you're probably in the clear.

Juanita
April 21st, 2009, 07:59 AM
I friend of mine put a padlock on hers and kept the key on a chain round her neck. She had a husband and two sons who thought her sissors were the best for any job.

sherigayle
April 21st, 2009, 08:12 AM
I caught DH using mine to cut his toenails. I've never come so close to hurting someone before. At least he knows not to go near my sewing scissors.:draw:

JamieLeigh
April 22nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
:spitting:You guys are hilarious!!

Seriously, I'm glad you've solved your problem - and I'm sorry you had to waste $20 to do it. :(

enfys
April 22nd, 2009, 11:15 AM
Oh no, what a waste of money! Isn't $20 between £10-20 now? I can't keep up with the exchange rate!

I was going to buy a pair of new hair scissors because I noticed my faithful Fiskars ones don't fully meet in the middle anymore. Are Fiskars scissors still good? I know there craft punches are getting worse - we get loads returned in the shop I work. The scissors I have are probably over ten years old!

RancheroTheBee
April 22nd, 2009, 12:44 PM
Oh no, what a waste of money! Isn't $20 between £10-20 now? I can't keep up with the exchange rate!

I was going to buy a pair of new hair scissors because I noticed my faithful Fiskars ones don't fully meet in the middle anymore. Are Fiskars scissors still good? I know there craft punches are getting worse - we get loads returned in the shop I work. The scissors I have are probably over ten years old!

I think it's probably around there. It fluctuates so much, so basically I quantify it by saying, "I worked almost two hours for those."

Bahaha! I have those. I used to use them for hair cutting, too, until my brother used them for something weird (cutting steel? I don't know) and they got mangled. They were nice scissors, though. :eek:

jera
April 22nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
That's a very funny but equally frustrating story Ranchero. :) I'm glad you solved the problem though. At least that much is good and will save you from trimming more hair off in the future.

mooglewoo
April 22nd, 2009, 03:12 PM
ZOMG I did the same thing recently. Had to get a new pair of scissors. :/

Themyst
April 22nd, 2009, 03:12 PM
That's actually pretty funny -

I had been S&Ding with a pair of little scissors from a cheap manicure set. After reading some posts on LHC recently about the wrong scissors actually causing more damage - well - I immediately started using a pair of expensive hair scissors. They're bigger, so it's more awkward to do it. I really preferred my cheap little ones.

What I really need to do is make a few cuts with each set of scissors and examine the ends under a microscope.