PDA

View Full Version : Talk about not giving something a chance...

Electric Sky
April 20th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I found this through stumbleupon:
http://www.iambossy.com/fambly/2008/12/04/a-little-science-experiment-starring-dry-witch-hair/
It's pretty sad to see someone brush off something so possibly... for lack of a less dramatic phrase, life-changing.

ETA: Plus, she didn't even really do it right. :P

spidermom
April 20th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Haha - rather amusing. That's o.k., she can keep her dry, crunchy hair. It makes all of us who are in the know look so much better.

RancheroTheBee
April 20th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Well... She's bleaching her hair, and she obviously used a heavy hand. Not a rigorous, unbiased test, I'd say, and not the best control either.

Furiana
April 20th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I thought the blog was funny! Olive oil gave me the exact same results. Coconut oil, OTOH... ;)

manderly
April 21st, 2009, 12:24 AM
Well yeah..........not supposed to put a shot glass of oil in your hair and leave it. :rolleyes: Lame.

Arctic_Mama
April 21st, 2009, 12:58 AM
If she'd rather give it up and keep damaged, dry hair over spending a few minutes googling the concept to see what others might be doing to yield boast-worthy results.

Greasy hair is what you get when you drench your hair in oil :roll:

Unofficial_Rose
April 21st, 2009, 01:23 AM
Her hair does look as though it could use some oil. What a shame she doesn't know the correct method! Quite comical, though :grin:

LutraLutra
April 21st, 2009, 02:22 AM
For a moment I thought she was going to drink it like "try a shot of olive oil every morning to get healthy looking hair." :yumm:

GlassEyes
April 21st, 2009, 05:31 AM
Might not work for her even if she did it right. She does have bleached hair and sometimes oil doesn't take well to it.

It looked fine to me in the Axl picture, so Iunno. XD;

FallenAngel
April 21st, 2009, 05:42 AM
At least she had a sense of humor! I laughed! :D

SHELIAANN1969
April 21st, 2009, 06:28 AM
Well yeah..........not supposed to put a shot glass of oil in your hair and leave it. :rolleyes: Lame.

That's what I was going to say, you use a few drops not an ounce or 2! Overkill!:eek:

KajiKodomo
April 21st, 2009, 06:48 AM
She did overdo it by quite a bit, but at least the article was humorous (if not very truthful). Even if it did make olive oil seem like something that you wouldn't want to use, it might at least get some people curious about it (that may have never heard of it), and those people will figure out the correct method. :D

Heidi_234
April 21st, 2009, 09:14 AM
I didn't get it. Her hair looked nice after it dried, the curls defined and all that. What's wrong then? :confused:

dancingmegs
April 21st, 2009, 10:09 AM
I didn't get it. Her hair looked nice after it dried, the curls defined and all that. What's wrong then? :confused:
There was a lot of oil in her hair, as she used a couple ounces of EVOO like leave in. She probably felt like an oil slick. I've had similar results when a heavy pre-wash oiling didn't come out all the way. It's not pleasant.

Kind of cute, but I'm always a little annoyed by articles that make less mainstream haircare look kooky or just very mysterious.

morguebabe
April 21st, 2009, 10:14 AM

Her roots looks sorta oily

That article was funny....195$ Fekkai lol year right.

Jessclewlow
April 21st, 2009, 10:17 AM
hee hee! that made me laugh.... silly moo.
good job i have you lot to keep me on the straight and narrow otherwise id probably be pouring a bottle of the stuff on my head lol

Jessclewlow
April 21st, 2009, 10:18 AM
more to the point i thought you put the oil more on your ends not on the roots?

morguebabe
April 21st, 2009, 10:25 AM
more to the point i thought you put the oil more on your ends not on the roots?

I normally oil from ear lobe area down.

JamieLeigh
April 22nd, 2009, 10:30 AM
Wow. I almost don't know what to say. Almost. ;)

While the page is witty in itself, I hope someone informed her (via comments page I guess) that not only was she doing it the wrong way, she also needs to put down the peroxide for it NOT to be canceled out, AND try it for more than 24 hours. Two-week rule!!!

enfys
April 22nd, 2009, 11:23 AM
I loved this comment

Jeeeeezzee, Boss!
Just quit being so vain and cut the **** off. It will never return to the prior luster and sheen–Bossy ITS RUINED!!
dont you remember the 80s??

See some people know bleach to that extent is bad.

Who on earth puts oil on their roots? Surely that's pretty obvious to not do?

DiyaC
April 23rd, 2009, 09:02 AM
I loved this comment

See some people know bleach to that extent is bad.

Who on earth puts oil on their roots? Surely that's pretty obvious to not do?
Why is it obvious that roots shouldn't be oiled? I oil my scalp. I'm from India and we follow the scalp oiling technique here every single day. There are people who prefer to oil the body and/or ends of their hair alone, but there are others who oil the entire length from root to tip. It's an individual preference.

OTOH, what this lady did - drenching her hair in oil, root to tip, and not even washing it off, especially when her hair is already damaged due to bleach - now that was clearly wrong.

enfys
April 23rd, 2009, 09:54 AM
Why is it obvious that roots shouldn't be oiled? I oil my scalp. I'm from India and we follow the scalp oiling technique here every single day. There are people who prefer to oil the body and/or ends of their hair alone, but there are others who oil the entire length from root to tip. It's an individual preference.

OTOH, what this lady did - drenching her hair in oil, root to tip, and not even washing it off, especially when her hair is already damaged due to bleach - now that was clearly wrong.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. She *put* the oil there. No distributuion, massage, combing through. I occassionally oil right up to my scalp but I don't just put it on there.

"The scalp oiling technique" as you put it sums it up very well. What you do is a technique, a tried and tested method that gets results. What she did was silly.

cynthia.md
April 25th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Her hair looks fine to me, I wonder what she has against it.

Flynn
April 25th, 2009, 03:16 AM
*Laughs* Someone didn't quite get it...

cynthia.md I think what she has against it is it didn't cost $195. It cost about 3 c. If it was the $195 treatment it would have had "amazing, shockingly good" results.

Heavenly Locks
April 25th, 2009, 06:16 AM
the sad part to me, is that she went into it thinking the worst and made it into a joke. *sigh*

Flynn
April 25th, 2009, 06:23 AM
... That was meant to be a joke? It looked to me like an outright attack on one of her readers for being "stupid".

cleanbug
April 25th, 2009, 06:30 AM
I'm new here, can someone tell me the detailed (correct way) to apply cocunut oil to hair? Sometimes my ends feel dry. My hair is still fairly short but I plan on growing it to bsl at least.
Thanks
Tami
http://ilovehenna.tripod.com/

brok3nwings
April 25th, 2009, 10:09 AM
ehehe thats funny, she should come to LHC and have someone explain to her how its done...although i dont do olive oil, just coconut ;)

dancingmegs
April 25th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I'm new here, can someone tell me the detailed (correct way) to apply cocunut oil to hair? Sometimes my ends feel dry. My hair is still fairly short but I plan on growing it to bsl at least.
Thanks
Tami
http://ilovehenna.tripod.com/

The two most common ways to use oil are as follows: Prewash, apply a lot of oil (hair can be soaked), let it sit for a while, and then was hair normally. Postwash, apply just a bit of oil, for conditioning and smoothing.

jupiterjuniper
April 25th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I thought it was kind of funny, and I guess sort of brave that she was willing to go into it without doing any research whatsoever. I've found that coconut oil makes my hair greasy even in small quantities, but my hair looooves EVOO.