PDA

View Full Version : Tips on increasing hair growth rate?

Venged_Kitty
April 20th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Well basically, I'd like a few tips on increasing the rate that my hair grows. At the moment, I think it grows at about .75 inches a month. I've began scalp massaging before going to bed and after getting up, but it's only been about a week, so I don't know if it's helping. Also, I read something about red bell peppers helping it by 50%? I don't really know if this is true, but if it is, what exactly do I do?

Thanks.

SheWolf
April 20th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Well basically, I'd like a few tips on increasing the rate that my hair grows. At the moment, I think it grows at about .75 inches a month. I've began scalp massaging before going to bed and after getting up, but it's only been about a week, so I don't know if it's helping. Also, I read something about red bell peppers helping it by 50%? I don't really know if this is true, but if it is, what exactly do I do?

Thanks.

Eat protein.

LHGypsyRose
April 20th, 2009, 05:41 PM
..and more fruits, nuts and seeds.

Oh yes..I have heard that seaweed helps too and it seems to help my hair growth.

JamieRose
April 20th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Biotin made my hair grow faster (or it seemed like it, at least!) but it's made me break out more often- so I'm quitting. Just exercise a lot and eat a balanced diet, especially make sure to get enough protein. :)

spidermom
April 20th, 2009, 05:54 PM
You're doing great! 0.75 inches per month is better than average. At best, I get about 0.67 inch per month. I don't do anythng to try to increase the growth rate, though. I'm willing to be patient and let my hair do what it does on its own schedule.

CindyLea1
April 20th, 2009, 05:58 PM
.75 is faster than the average growth rate or .50 inch. However, if you think you want to see if it will go faster you could try;

Monistat--See the Monistat thread, beware it is huge.
A hair, skin, nail vitamin or at least a good multi vitamin
Eat a good variety of healthy foods, get plenty of rest, drink lots of water
Decrease your stress level, if this is a factor.
Be sure you are not causing damage; less/no heat, gentle handling, keep it from snagging on/under things
S&D the ends to keep splits from causing more damage, if you think this is an issue.

Scalp massages seem to make my hair shed faster, but maybe I have weird hair, or I may be having a spring shed.

Just my thoughts, hope they help

s_tresses
April 20th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Cindylea has great advice.

If scalp massages work for you, try them with different essential oil and oil blends.

RancheroTheBee
April 20th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Drink lots of water.

Cut down on caffeine.

Learn new ways to deal with stress, so it doesn't become chronic.

Exercise.

Take a multivitamin after discussing it with your doctor.

Don't obsess. This may seem obvious, but I have this theory, along the a-watched-pot adage: When you stare at your hair, willing it to grow faster, it will grow slower. Not only are you watching the keratin equivalent of paint drying, but it's also probably introducing a very novel brand of stress into your system which will do nothing but hinder your progress.

Since adopting these personal tips, I've had a lot more success on my journey. Good luck to you. :)

Rebelkat
April 20th, 2009, 10:24 PM
.75" a month is nothing to shake a stick at! That's 1.5x what is considered normal! However, if you truly want to increase your hair growth rate, I would suggest trying a few things:

1. hair, skin, and nail vitamins

2. scalp massages (increases circulation)

3. regular exercise (increases circulation and improves general health)

4. a balanced diet (make sure you're getting lots of B vitamins and protein)

5. make sure you're getting enough vitamin D (nothing works right if you don't have enough of it)

6. drink LOTS of water and avoid excessive caffeine, carbonation, and other diuretics

7. avoid stress as much as possible, or find a positive way of dealing with it like kickboxing or yoga (kickboxing seems to be an EXCELLENT way of getting anger out of your system, from my experience)

Basically, the most important factor in how fast your hair grows is your overall health. If your body isn't healthy, your hair won't be, either.

:thumbsup:

Venged_Kitty
April 21st, 2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. I know that my hair grows faster than normal, but my school (which I am leaving after this year) has been making me cut me hair really short, so I was to catch up on all that lost time. I did take TaeKwonDo until about six months ago, so I might try starting that again this summer. And my mom has bought me some multivitamins a few days ago, so I'll start taking those as well.

windinherhair
April 21st, 2009, 07:23 PM
This thread covers a lot! I had to make my own list. :) I hadn't thought about the caffeine and carbonated drinks effecting my hair growth. I will have to work on the stress (starting a new job and working as a nurse is stressful!). Exercise can help me with that. I hope the Biotin won't make my acne worse since I already have to deal with break outs.

Venged_Kitty
April 22nd, 2009, 06:29 AM
Sorry to be ignorant, but what exactly is biotin?

Flynn
April 22nd, 2009, 06:49 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biotin