PDA

View Full Version : are redheads seen as stupid in the US?

Isilme
April 20th, 2009, 02:54 PM
So, bf has just finished a gaming project and the main character is a redhead. Now he and his group are being told not to have a redheads as the main character because redheads are seen as stupid in the US. Is this really true? I think this jury are just stupid themslves. If that's the case they are just feeding prejudices. Is this really true? I have never heard of this.
I have told bf that he will never ever do a game where the main character is stupid and redheaded especially as his own gf is a redhead by choice;)

OhioLisa
April 20th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I have heard the "dumb blonde" assumption, but never redhead. :shrug:

AmyJorgensen
April 20th, 2009, 02:58 PM
No, in the U.S. they mainly tell dumb blond jokes.

BlndeInDisguise
April 20th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I've never heard of that either. Redheads are supposedly supposed to have bad tempers. ;)

Blondes are stereotyped as being "dumb", however, most of the blondes I know are pretty smart. :D

LittleOrca
So, bf has just finished a gaming project and the main character is a redhead. Now he and his group are being told not to have a redheads as the main character because redheads are seen as stupid in the US. Is this really true? I think this jury are just stupid themslves. If that's the case they are just feeding prejudices. Is this really true? I have never heard of this.
I have told bf that he will never ever do a game where the main character is stupid and redheaded especially as his own gf is a redhead by choice;)

I have not heard that they are stupid persay, though we all know that blondes unfairly get that label. I have heard that redheads are more sexual though. I ready a study in college that claimed that, but it was done by a company that made hair dye and it didn't say if any of them were natural redheads or anything, so I threw it out as trash. :rolleyes:

Maybe the person who told them they were stupid has a personal problem with a woman or man who was a redhead. :shrug: It could be very true and to make themselves feel better they have to just stereotype all redheads together. Does it make it right? Of course not!

I'd tell him to make the character a smart, intelligent, awesome woman... and a redhead to boot to show they they are not as the other person claimed! :)

Mishka_84
I've never heard of this. Usually, the steriotype for redheads is that they have a fiery temper.

Personally, if I'm playing a game with a female character, I'd rather her have red hair than anything else.

Akiko
April 20th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I have heard redheads are hot tempered. But in real life, redhead people I know are not necessarily feisty.

Lady Copper
April 20th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Weird. I have heard lots of "blondes are dumb" jokes and lots of jokes when I was younger about my red hair and assuming I have a bad temper (I don't), but never heard that redheads were supposed to be dumb. Stubborn, yes... and I will admit to that. I don't really think your BF's boss really understands what he is saying about that topic.

Nightshade
April 20th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Lemme see... US female stereotypes by hair color:

Blonde
Stupid
Easy
SexyBrunette
Intelligent
Down to earth
SultryRedhead
Hot tempers
Occasionally crazy
SexyDisclaimer: not my personal views, just stereotypes that I've heard guys make.

jera
April 20th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I've never heard of this. Usually, the steriotype for redheads is that they have a fiery temper.

Personally, if I'm playing a game with a female character, I'd rather her have red hair than anything else.

I've heard this too. Red hair equals an explosive temper, but that doesn't make a woman stupid, does it? In the U.S. dumb blonde jokes abound.:p

heidihug
April 20th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I've heard the red hair=stupid thing is/was an issue in the UK. Can someone from the British Isles confirm or deny?

I've never heard that said of redheads in the US. Like other people, the only thing I have heard said about redheads here is that they are feisty or short-tempered. I'm married to one, and he is no more or less short-tempered than the norm. And he's definitely not stupid :p.

susiemw
April 20th, 2009, 03:06 PM
So, bf has just finished a gaming project and the main character is a redhead. Now he and his group are being told not to have a redheads as the main character because redheads are seen as stupid in the US. Is this really true? ;)

I've never heard anything remotely like this.

the only stereotypes that I 've heard about redheads
are that they are hot blooded and have a fiery temper.

I think a redheaded main character would be cool.

susan

Unofficial_Rose
April 20th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I've heard the red hair=stupid thing is/was an issue in the UK. Can someone from the British Isles confirm or deny?

I've never heard that said of redheads in the US. Like other people, the only thing I have heard said about redheads here is that they are feisty or short-tempered. I'm married to one, and he is no more or less short-tempered than the norm. And he's definitely not stupid :p.

We have the same red hair = fiery temper stereotype. No-one says redheads are stupid, but we have all the "dumb blonde" jokes. Oddly enough, the blonde = stupid stereotype seems to be just applied to women, whereas red hair & temper thing is applied to both sexes. :rolleyes: No-one has anything much to say about brunettes (of either gender). The really stupid people are those who believe that hair colour is a determinant of intelligence or any other non-physical characteristic - which I have pointed out to people sometimes :eyebrows:

SheWolf
April 20th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I always heard that redheads are hot tempered and very sexual, but never dumb.

Tabitha
April 20th, 2009, 03:23 PM

I've never heard that they are meant to be stupid but they are prone to being teased at school and called things like "gingernut" (a popular type of biscuit - "cookie" to you), "carrot top" etc.

Nightshade - you forgot sultry! Brunettes are "sultry"! :p

Nightshade
April 20th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I've never heard that they are meant to be stupid but they are prone to being teased at school and called things like "gingernut" (a popular type of biscuit - "cookie" to you), "carrot top" etc.

Nightshade - you forgot sultry! Brunettes are "sultry"! :p

Okay you're sultry now :)

Anje
April 20th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Like others have said, the red hair = stupid thing seems to be more prevalent in the UK than the US. (I suspect it has something to do with a prejudice against Scottish folks, where it's [ETA: red hair, that is] particularly prevalent. The Susan Boyle thing and Monty Python's Sci-Fi Sketch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVbb6pZLfzU&feature=related) come to mind as examples.)

In the US, redheads tend to be called "carrot tops" more than "gingers." We're reputed to be rather sexual, and to have fiery tempers (probably related to the fact that redheads are usually pale, and turn red with emotional responses rather more obviously than someone with darker skin). We're slightly exotic, less down-to-earth than brunettes, and perhaps seen as less bright than brunettes (mainly because they are seen as intelligent, rather than redheads being thought of as dumb).

Blonds, on the other hand, are considered stupid, and there are all sorts of jokes (which many of my blond friends love) to that effect. Smart blonds are said to dye their hair a different color, for example. Blonds are thought to be sexier than brunettes, air-headed, and often super-girly who go out of their way to wear pink, go shopping, and look cute. The movie Legally Blond plays with a lot of these stereotypes.

ETA: This could be interesting for you (study is from California). Diana J. Kyle, Heike I. M. Mahler. THE EFFECTS OF HAIR COLOR AND COSMETIC USE ON PERCEPTIONS OF A FEMALE'S ABILITY. Psychology of Women Quarterly: 20 (3). 447-455. 1996.
Abstract: This experiment examined whether a female applicant's hair color and use of cosmetics might affect perceptions of her ability for a professional position. One hundred thirty six college students reviewed the identical professional resume of a female applicant for the position of a staff accountant. Attached to the resume was a photograph of the stimulus female applicant either wearing or not wearing cosmetics and depicted with brunette, red, or blonde hair color. The results demonstrated significant main effects of both hair color and cosmetic use. Specifically, the applicant was rated more capable and was assigned a higher salary both when depicted with brunette hair color and when depicted without cosmetics. There were no interactions between hair color and cosmetic use. The findings demonstrate that biases regarding personal appearance may affect judgments about a female applicant's ability.

annie09
April 20th, 2009, 03:31 PM

I have never heard of the stupid thing in the uk but here is a comedy sketch from catherine tate about ginger folk that i find funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1aQfpbjuLE

WritingPrincess
April 20th, 2009, 03:33 PM
We have the same red hair = fiery temper stereotype. No-one says redheads are stupid, but we have all the "dumb blonde" jokes. Oddly enough, the blonde = stupid stereotype seems to be just applied to women, whereas red hair & temper thing is applied to both sexes. :rolleyes: No-one has anything much to say about brunettes (of either gender). The really stupid people are those who believe that hair colour is a determinant of intelligence or any other non-physical characteristic - which I have pointed out to people sometimes :eyebrows:

Yup. Dumb blonde stereotype is always a woman, but the redhead/hot temper is both men and women.

neon-dream
April 20th, 2009, 03:40 PM

I never get stupid, I get called a lot for the colour of it but never stupid.
It's more nasty names and haters so I tend to ignore them anyways.

But as far as stereotypes go I've heard the fiery temper and sexual ones. :)

feralnature
April 20th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I always heard that redheads are hot tempered and very sexual, but never dumb.

This is the same that I have heard and I am as old as the hills.

Isilme
April 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM
ok, phew. Thanks for answering. I've decided that the jury is stupid, not redheads in general. Or peope of any haircolour:)
At least I fall into the general stereotype about feisty readheads, I went totally mad when I heard this, and I'm naturally ashy brunette (ssssch! Don't tell anyone I henna my hair red to have an excuse for my bad temper!;))
I just makes me so mad that there are still people in this ago who conforms to silly stereotypes.

Magdalene
April 20th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I'm strawberry blonde. I get teased on both ends :)

Def. in the US blondes are seen as the dumb ones. I usually counter this by saying it's only the bottle blondes who are dumb, since the bleach fries their brains :) (just kidding, bottle blondes!)

pdy2kn6
April 20th, 2009, 04:20 PM
no i think this must just be a personal opinion. Blondes definately get this title often, but not redheads. redheads are associated with fiery-nature of their personality usually

flapjack
April 20th, 2009, 04:32 PM
The only things I've heard guys say are that blondes are stupid, redheads are moody and brunettes are hot. It's probably a regional thing. In LA, darker hair is considered very attractive as far as I know. If you're blonde, you're teased. If you have any other hair color, no one says anything.

Unzadi
April 20th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I've lived in the US my entire life, and I've never heard anything about redheads being percieved as stupid. Fiery and sensual, but not stupid.

manderly
April 20th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Uuuuuh, no. Redheads are known as fiery tempers and red hot in the sack ;)

Blondes are generally stereotyped as the dumb ones.

salamander
April 20th, 2009, 05:15 PM
No, that's a British stereotype. In America, redheads are considered hot tempered, likely to get in a fight. It's also associated with attractive women, but not as strongly. I think in Britain there's something with English people associating red hair with Ireland and Scotland, and that whole history getting stirred up, but I'm not sure, I just know there's prejudice against redheads over there.

Tabitha
April 20th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Like others have said, the red hair = stupid thing seems to be more prevalent in the UK than the US..

No, that's a British stereotype.

Five of us Brits, of varying ages, say we've never heard that.

No-one says redheads are stupid

I've never heard that they are meant to be stupid

I have never heard of the stupid thing in the uk

I never get stupid, I get called a lot for the colour of it but never stupid.

no i think this must just be a personal opinion. Blondes definately get this title often, but not redheads.

LHGypsyRose
April 20th, 2009, 05:39 PM
:uhh: Never heard of it. Sounds pretty stupid to judge people by the color of thier hair.

GlennaGirl
April 20th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Five of us Brits, of varying ages, say we've never heard that.

And all the Americans here say we've never heard of it. Seems we all have a lot to learn about each other, eh? :)

MsBubbles
April 20th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Yep, dumb blonde jokes abound...but I don't get any of them...:ponder:

Somebody needs to post that Russ Abbot pic :)

AmandaPanda
April 20th, 2009, 07:08 PM
What about the red-headed step-child comment? It doesn't have anythign to do with stupidity, but it's another (old) stereotype

GlennaGirl
April 20th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I haven't seen anyone mention the "red-headed step-child" comment. It's supposed to be an insult, I think....but I have never understood it

I actually always thought that was meant to show that the child stood out...b/c it means the one that doesn't "belong"...doesn't it? And red hair is more rare so that's why red was used. Tall stepchild wouldn't have covered it, brown-eyed stepchild wouldn't have covered it..........KWIM?

Unless I'm misunderstanding the saying. ETA: Here... http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=red+headed+stepchild

s_tresses
April 20th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I know guys drool over redheads because as people have already said that they are more "sexual". I am guessing, the only reason they would also be labeled stupid is because of another common misconception that beauty and brains cannot co-exist.

Buddaphlyy
April 20th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Mostly I hear "dumb blond", "fiery redhead" and "mousey brown". All stereotypes are dumb to me though.

AmandaPanda
April 20th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I actually always thought that was meant to show that the child stood out...b/c it means the one that doesn't "belong"...doesn't it? And red hair is more rare so that's why red was used. Tall stepchild wouldn't have covered it, brown-eyed stepchild wouldn't have covered it..........KWIM?

Unless I'm misunderstanding the saying. ETA: Here... http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=red+headed+stepchild

Yeah, it's used as an insult

joyellen
April 20th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I've never heard of redheads being thought of as stupid. Unfortunately it's blondes who unfairly get that label.

Jessaka
April 20th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Nope, never heard of it. Just heard what Nightshade posted on the first page.

Jessica Trapp
April 20th, 2009, 08:21 PM
:angry: :mad: :angry:

I AM NOT HOT TEMPERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT!!!!!!!!

:boxer:

just kidding :D:D Couldn't resist.

It *is* true that I might be a little :crazyq: though...

truepeacenik
April 20th, 2009, 08:25 PM

is the main character male or female? Redhead males get a very different approach.
Although I know some passionate (and passion inspiring) red males, the stereotype is for women.

Jeni
April 20th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I agree with everyone else: blonds= sexy, air head, easy; brunette=smart, sultry,boring; redhead (girls)=temperamental, feisty, good in bed.

I have never heard red headed men called feisty or temperamental. The stereotypes I have heard about red headed guys is that they are usually dorks/geeks. In movies they seem to usually be depicted as kind of outcast, braces/glasses, squeaky voice, etc. Personally I lurve redheads...I'd take a Weasley over a blond surfer boy any day!

Oberon88
April 20th, 2009, 08:32 PM
People will never run out of weird things to judge others by.

flapjack
April 20th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Speaking of what people in the UK think, I was kind of surprised because I read on the BBC site awhile back (I think last year) about a lot of red-haired people getting teased, beat up, harassed, etc. and that it was actually a legit societal problem. They even had a discussion board about it. I was shocked to hear this. I think nothing about red hair, personally, I don't even notice someone has red hair half the time.

IrishRover716
April 20th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I don't think I know anyone in the US who thinks of redheads as stupid. Blondes are usually viewed as stupid over here. Redhead girls and darker redhead guys I think tend to get viewed as intelligent, desirable, and fairly rare and sought after (mind you, I am a natural redhead, but I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible). The one exception is guys with lighter carrot-top hair, who tend to be viewed as geeky, IMO

MotherConfessor
April 20th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Dana Scully. Nuff said.

neon-dream
April 21st, 2009, 12:02 AM
Speaking of what people in the UK think, I was kind of surprised because I read on the BBC site awhile back (I think last year) about a lot of red-haired people getting teased, beat up, harassed, etc. and that it was actually a legit societal problem. They even had a discussion board about it. I was shocked to hear this. I think nothing about red hair, personally, I don't even notice someone has red hair half the time.

Yeah this is quite bad in some areas, but no one listens :mad:!!

Fethenwen
April 21st, 2009, 01:43 AM
Errrrrr...
wtf?:p

You tell him that the most popular female character in gaming history is a redhead. Lara Croft anyone?

Molster
April 21st, 2009, 06:56 AM
As a UK'er, I've never heard of the 'redheads are stupid' thing either. That's blonds over here, as it seems to be in the US and elsewhere. Nor have I ever heard the 'redheads good in bed' thing either.

Attitudes towards redheads are interesting in the UK, and they have traditionally been teased at school, principally for standing out and looking different. Having had two close school friends who were redheads, I've also heard the bizarre accusations that redheads smell funny (of pee-pee, apparently), and that they indulge in unnatural s3xual practices. However, I was brought up in a very rural area!

Sadly, much to my embarrassment I do know a grown man who is still prejudiced against redheads and who makes childish comments whenever they see one.

I've a good mind to henna my hair in support and p!ss off the aforementioned idiot... :mad:

auburnlocks
April 21st, 2009, 07:08 AM
As an American woman who both hennas her hair AND married a red head, I’d have to say that any prejudice out there is just that, prejudice. I haven’t personally seen a lot of that where I live. My husband has always been proud of his red hair, but he tends not to let other people’s opinion bother him, either.

Oh, and yes he is very smart, and as for the other rumor about red heads . . . well I won’t go into detail, but we’ve been together since I was eighteen, and I have no cause to wonder if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, if you know what I mean . . . :eyebrows:

lora410
April 21st, 2009, 07:12 AM
I think redheads are actually though of as smart here in the U.S., Same with brunettes

annie09
April 21st, 2009, 07:13 AM
As a UK'er, I've never heard of the 'redheads are stupid' thing either. That's blonds over here, as it seems to be in the US and elsewhere. Nor have I ever heard the 'redheads good in bed' thing either.

Attitudes towards redheads are interesting in the UK, and they have traditionally been teased at school, principally for standing out and looking different. Having had two close school friends who were redheads, I've also heard the bizarre accusations that redheads smell funny (of pee-pee, apparently), and that they indulge in unnatural s3xual practices. However, I was brought up in a very rural area!

Sadly, much to my embarrassment I do know a grown man who is still prejudiced against redheads and who makes childish comments whenever they see one.

I've a good mind to henna my hair in support and p!ss off the aforementioned idiot... :mad:

Yes it is sad to say but this is true there is predjudice in this country against folk with red hair and usually in a petty name calling way i think it must be as another poster said, something to do with past history ie celts. Still pathetic though.

Unofficial_Rose
April 21st, 2009, 07:52 AM
I know guys drool over redheads because as people have already said that they are more "sexual". I am guessing, the only reason they would also be labeled stupid is because of another common misconception that beauty and brains cannot co-exist.

I suspect this is the case. Actually a guy at work once said to me that people say that blondes are stupid because of the following "logic":

Blonde women = attractive
Attractive women = stupid

Makes you despair, doesn't it? *Gets back down from soapbox*

marialena
April 21st, 2009, 08:09 AM
Redheads are stupid and blond hairs are dumb and brunettes are sexy... :(:(
Ehhh girls ..
How long are we going to accept all this totally stupid misogynist stereotypes??
It does not matter what kind of hair color we have. There will always be something bad to say about that.
But if red hair cause stupidity, what happens to the red haired men?? Or the blond ones??

I suspect this is the case. Actually a guy at work once said to me that people say that blondes are stupid because of the following "logic":

Blonde women = attractive
Attractive women = stupid

Makes you despair, doesn't it? *Gets back down from soapbox*

So he believes that people are stupid too because they find attractive blond women. So if blond hair and stupidity seems to go together anyone who likes blonds is the same stupid too.... :eyebrows:

neon-dream
April 21st, 2009, 08:12 AM
I think we all know that it doesn't matter, but a lot of other people do!
It isn't fair, but it's what we have to live with, so... we may aswell talk about it :D!

marialena
April 21st, 2009, 08:13 AM
And here is my manifest!!!

All women are smart, and intelligent and beautiful princesses and if anyone ever dare to think that I' m stupid he is going to have a very baaaddd end!:eyebrows:

morguebabe
April 21st, 2009, 08:21 AM
I think red heads are seen as more firey/sexual/wild

earthdancer
April 21st, 2009, 11:17 AM
John T. Molloy "author of "Dress for Success" found in his research that redheads are the most successful saleswomen. He declined to offer any theories as to why that would be.

People around here consider me a redhead (although the red is very slight) and I married a redhead. Never had anybody make assumptions about us based on hair color that I know of, although my mother once said I didn't have the temperament for a redhead. I didn't ask her what she meant.

neon-dream
April 21st, 2009, 11:42 AM
Whenever I get annoyed at something in college, they say it's due to my firey temper as I am a red head, which makes me even more annoyed! So it doesn't really help haha :rolleyes:

And here is my manifest!!!

All women are smart, and intelligent and beautiful princesses and if anyone ever dare to think that I' m stupid he is going to have a very baaaddd end!:eyebrows:

Haha yep! I agree :D

starshinedarkly
April 21st, 2009, 11:48 AM
I live in the UK and as several others have said, have never heard of the "redheads are stupid" thing. There's just the stereotype that they're fiery and confident and have bad tempers and its funny but the one person who I know well with red hair completely fits that stereotype haha, but there aren't really that many of them which is why I think they get teased. My friend only gets friendly comments about her being "ginger" and the occasional "are you Irish?" but everyone loves her hair really; its the most amazing colour I've ever seen and its natural.

There was this thing on the news about some facebook group which was having a "Kick a ginger" day or something and some people got hurt which I think is the stupidest thing in the world. I just don't get how people can judge each other over something as mundane as the colour of your hair. I guess it just stems from the same thing as racism...

But I've never seen anyone bullied for being redheaded, just heard about it. And here its blondes who are seen as stupid and there's not really any stereotype about brown haired people, except maybe more sensible and intelligent but its all a load of rubbish if you ask me...

Arctic
April 21st, 2009, 12:07 PM
Just few days ago I "red" this : Irish red hair (http://hair.lovetoknow.com/Irish_Red_Hair), which says it's Irish/UK thing.
ETA: I ofcourse adore red hair myself !!!

Arctic
April 21st, 2009, 12:12 PM
Redheads are stupid and blond hairs are dumb and brunettes are sexy... :(:(
Ehhh girls ..
How long are we going to accept all this totally stupid misogynist stereotypes?? *snip*

I have never accepted. (And sounds like you neither.) All kinds of stereotypes are my pet peeve, and I'm interested to research them in the future.

Starr
April 21st, 2009, 12:36 PM
One of the smartest people I know is a redhead- - -> my dad.

But then again, maybe I'm biased.:shrug:

ClareDee
April 21st, 2009, 12:42 PM
Just few days ago I "red" this : Irish red hair (http://hair.lovetoknow.com/Irish_Red_Hair), which says it's Irish/UK thing.
ETA: I ofcourse adore red hair myself !!!

"Images of Ireland that many Irish find hugely offensive, such as leprechauns..."

Lol... I don't know where they got that from. Why are leprechauns hugely offensive? I'm hugely confused!

Anyway, I always thought redheads were teased simply because they look different - not just in terms of hair colour, but because they tend to have very pale skin too.

Kids don't need any reason other than differentness, to pick on someone...

RoseRedDead
April 21st, 2009, 12:52 PM
Dana Scully. Nuff said.

Oh sweet baby Moses on buttered toast, YES. :cheese:

So beautiful and intelligent and and... :o (I have a huge crush on her.)

That aside, I have never heard/heard of Americans calling redheads stupid.

Pegasus Marsters
April 21st, 2009, 12:54 PM
I find it greatly amusing that all the people who say "It's a problem in the UK" are Americans.

YES, there is bullying towards redheads in the UK... but there's bullying about every freakin' thing in the world, it's just another thing that stands out that nasty little kids can pick on.

but NO I have never heard anyone say that redheads are stupid.

Stop making these giant leaps about the UK, based on one thread or one news article you've seen. How about waiting for a Brit to step in and answer?

If people continue to discriminate based on something so mundane as hair, into their adulthoods, then they really are morons and need a total slap.

Nightshade
April 21st, 2009, 01:03 PM
I find it greatly amusing that all the people who say "It's a problem in the UK" are Americans.

YES, there is bullying towards redheads in the UK... but there's bullying about every freakin' thing in the world, it's just another thing that stands out that nasty little kids can pick on.

Fwiw, there actually are news articles here about redheads in the UK and how the perception there differs from what it is here:

To sum
- UK redheads- Wow, lookit the geeky ginger!
- US redheads- Wow, lookit the hawt redhead!

I've read entire redhead threads on Fark where they offer to take in all the unloved redheads in the UK :lol:

And some of us read BBC and other non-US news sources/sites :flowers: I'm not saying that's the same as personal experience, but it's the same as someone from the UK as discussing US politics, which you do, and I'll guess that's based off reading news sources. So while not the same as personal experience, it is possible to have a discussion based on news articles and talking to people that do live there :twocents:

Really, though, I think most people were just chiming in with what they've heard- perhaps in the news, perhaps from a UK friend, and then adding in what they've heard about redheads on this side of the pond.

I'd hope that anyone with two brain cells to rub together would defer to the opinion of someone that lived there, though :)

Not trying to disagree too much, Pegs, just point out that many of us do recognize the difference, but feel we can participate anyway :)

Pegasus Marsters
April 21st, 2009, 01:10 PM
I'm not denying that there's bullying towards redheads. There's tons of it, I've seen it first hand. My best friend when I was wee had gorgeous red hair and took tons of crap for it.

But I have NEVER heard the stereotype that redheads are stupid. EVER. In fact... you yourself, nightshade, used the word 'geeky' about our perception of them. Well... geeks aren't stupid, are they?

Yes redheads are bullied as kids/teens (I honestly don't see it continuing into adulthood) but there's no stereotype that they're stupid. Actually, that's the stereotype we have about blondes!

Nightshade
April 21st, 2009, 01:17 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you, Pegs. Not once in this thread have I said that I agreed with the stereotype that redheads were stupid or that it's a stereotype I've heard :flowers:

I even made a nice billeted list ;)

Pegasus Marsters
April 21st, 2009, 01:21 PM
I know, nightshade, but i like to clarify.

Oh and considering things are apparently (So the American members keep telling us) sooo bad for 'ginger' bullying in the UK... isn't it odd how Kick A Ginger day was created by an American show (South Park) and the article linked on the thread about KAG day was about kids in Canada. Oddly I don't remember hearing jack about Kick A Ginger day over here.

Kleis
April 21st, 2009, 01:26 PM
I know, nightshade, but i like to clarify.

Oh and considering things are apparently (So the American members keep telling us) sooo bad for 'ginger' bullying in the UK... isn't it odd how Kick A Ginger day was created by an American show (South Park) and the article linked on the thread about KAG day was about kids in Canada. Oddly I don't remember hearing jack about Kick A Ginger day over here.

Not to fan the flames, but I assumed--and could be wrong--that it was based off the UK stereotype, simply because redheads are not called 'gingers' over here. :shrug: You do have a point, though. The American show and Canadian kids certainly took it to a whole new level.

I remember reading this BBC article a while ago (below) and making the unconscious leap that the bullying included calling redheads stupid. Part of the package, so to speak.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6725653.stm

Kirin
April 21st, 2009, 01:26 PM

but NO I have never heard anyone say that redheads are stupid.

Stop making these giant leaps about the UK, based on one thread or one news article you've seen. How about waiting for a Brit to step in and answer?

If people continue to discriminate based on something so mundane as hair, into their adulthoods, then they really are morons and need a total slap.

The Original Poster was asking if redheads being stupid was an "american thing" so you are going to get a lot of American Opinions.

In fact, its not the case, the American typical sterotype is of dumb blondes, not redheads. I forgot where I saw it, but there was a poll done recently that red is the most sought after color of hair currently in the U.S.

Its amusing for American's to say something is a "Brit thing", as in this thread there's several occurrances of "its an American thing". To be honest its a "people thing".

Noting differences and pointing them out, is a human trait.

Incidentally, just as a rebuttal, I find it amusing that on posts other than this there are a lot of UK people noting something is "An American thing".... when a lot of times, its not an American thing at all.

Pegasus Marsters
April 21st, 2009, 01:29 PM
All the American posters have to say is "Nope, that's not an opinion I've heard of." rather than "Nope, but the Brits all hate Redheads!" and then continuing to post this opinion over and over after the British members have stepped in several times and stated "Err... that's a misconception."

If someone has a misconception about Americans, then correct us! How the heck is anyone meant to learn if you just roll your eyes and move on?

Kleis: Kick A Ginger day was triggered by a South Park episode. It certainly did not start over here and I heard no incidences of it being picked up over here.

Pegasus Marsters
April 21st, 2009, 01:38 PM
Oh, and on the subject of redheaded video game characters... look to Square Enix and the Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy games. Kairi and Axel in KH spring right to mind, as does Reno in FFVII. There will also be a redheaded girl in FFXIII by all accounts, judging from promo shots. I'll grant you there are more blondes/brunettes but red hair is actually rare, makes sense there's only a few of them in the franchise.

(Note there are probably more redheads in those franchises, but I'm going off the top of my head.)

Oh... and I'd say Lara Croft is a brunette, not a redhead.

Nightshade
April 21st, 2009, 01:45 PM
(Note there are probably more redheads in those franchises, but I'm going off the top of my head.)

Oh... and I'd say Lara Croft is a brunette, not a redhead.

Ditto, I'd say Croft is a brunette.

Now, Blood Rayne is a redhead.

http://chrisgreensted.co.uk/bloodrayne.jpg

Why was it that used to have a siggy that said that the Romans/Greeks (forget which one) had a theory that redheads turned into vampires when they died?

So then is it

Redheads= Evil

or

Redheads = Evil & hot ;)

DragonLady
April 21st, 2009, 01:48 PM
The "dumb blonde" thing apparently has some historical validity. Waaaay back when, before clocks and calanders, people had to guess ages by physical characteristics alone. And blonde girls were seen as more desirable by men. But because blonde hair darkens with age, the truly blonde girls would be much younger than the brunettes that would be considered their peers. So the blondes would be married and start having babies a couple of years or more before the darker-haired girls would be perceived as marriageable.

When it came to the household tasks, the younger blonde (who didn't know she was younger) would seem dumber to the older girls she needed to work with. If they were gathering boysenberries and she wasted a whole afternoon bring back poisonberries, the other women saw her as stupid. She wasn't perceived as young needing education, but rather as too dense to learn anything.

http://books.google.com/books?id=3E0-BEm-ZxoC&pg=PA49&lpg=PA49&dq=why+men+like+blonde+bombshells&source=bl&ots=7JLcFXe8rB&sig=K-Wtg_6ag5c_hq_QbARwGnhYN6U&hl=en&ei=iyLuSbfaMJSuMrCXyOgP&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

And, I'd guess that they kept the stereotype going because everytime the younger (dumber) blonde did something really messed up, no one would ask her to do it again. I can just here the conversations:

"I can't stand that little Uggla. She spent the whole afternoon gathering stinkwood! She put a huge log of it on the fire, and now the cave will smell bad for a month".

"Don't worry, Oogla. Tomorrow we'll leave the little moron here and do it ourselves".

I kinda think this still goes on, although to a much smaller extent. Because whenever I hear of some backwoods Billy Bob marrying his 12-year-old cousin Crystal Sue, she's nearly always a blonde. And since her education stops with the arrival of kids and housework, she always seems a little "dumb".

Thankfully, nowadays we keep most of our blonde daughters in school where they belong, and by the time they're ready to be married they're just as well-educated and "smart" as everyone else.

Tap Dancer
April 21st, 2009, 01:52 PM
http://books.google.com/books?id=3E0-BEm-ZxoC&pg=PA49&lpg=PA49&dq=why+men+like+blonde+bombshells&source=bl&ots=7JLcFXe8rB&sig=K-Wtg_6ag5c_hq_QbARwGnhYN6U&hl=en&ei=iyLuSbfaMJSuMrCXyOgP&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

And, I'd guess that they kept the stereotype going because everytime the younger (dumber) blonde did something really messed up, no one would ask her to do it again. I can just here the conversations:

"I can't stand that little Uggla. She spent the whole afternoon gathering stinkwood! She put a huge log of it on the fire, and now the cave will smell bad for a month".

"Don't worry, Oogla. Tomorrow we'll leave the little moron here and do it ourselves".

Actually, Uggla sounds like the smart one to me. You don't wanna do something? Do it wrong and no one will expect your help again. ;) LOL

starshinedarkly
April 21st, 2009, 01:54 PM
I've never known anyone to be bullied for being redheaded here (UK). Teased? A little but people tease about everything and its light hearted, plus, all my friends like red hair but maybe it differs from city to city. I've never known it to be as big a deal as the press make out and while there are exceptions I don't think most people would be bullied just for being redheaded.

Pegasus Marsters
April 21st, 2009, 01:56 PM
Ditto, I'd say Croft is a brunette.

Now, Blood Rayne is a redhead.

http://chrisgreensted.co.uk/bloodrayne.jpg

Why was it that used to have a siggy that said that the Romans/Greeks (forget which one) had a theory that redheads turned into vampires when they died?

So then is it

Redheads= Evil

or

Redheads = Evil & hot ;)

Evil and hot works for me, personally. :twisted: (Even if Blood Rayne is a blatent, albeit female and white, rip off of Blade.)

Oh... and Refia from Final Fantasy III has red hair too. Clearly a red-headed character isn't getting in the way of their sales as Final Fantasy is the 5th most popular game franchise of all time.

DragonLady
April 21st, 2009, 02:00 PM
Actually, Uggla sounds like the smart one to me. You don't wanna do something? Do it wrong and no one will expect your help again. ;) LOL

Yes; that is a good strategy when it's something you can't stand doing. Just burn your MiL's dinner once, and she won't ask you to cook for her again. ;)

neon-dream
April 21st, 2009, 02:11 PM
Yes redheads are bullied as kids/teens (I honestly don't see it continuing into adulthood)

It does continue into adulthood in my part of the UK in some cases, but I'm not sure about all over. See this article:

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/families/article1873119.ece

Oddly I don't remember hearing jack about Kick A Ginger day over here.

Yet again, there was a ton at my college. Childish 16 - 21 year olds who think it's funny. They also thought it was funny to participate in 'hug a ginger day' and 'kiss a ginger day.' :mad:

But I do see where you are coming from, too. Because it's not as bad in the UK as people say it is yet I have been attacked on more than one occasion for the colour of my hair. But I also get a ton of compliments. When I go to America, I get people fascinated with it! I've not had any bad comments there, or in Canada.

Aisha25
April 21st, 2009, 02:16 PM
LOL:laugh: What a great idea:D

Nightshade
April 21st, 2009, 02:23 PM
Evil and hot works for me, personally. :twisted: (Even if Blood Rayne is a blatent, albeit female and white, rip off of Blade.)

Oh... and Refia from Final Fantasy III has red hair too. Clearly a red-headed character isn't getting in the way of their sales as Final Fantasy is the 5th most popular game franchise of all time.

:lol: No kidding.

I also liked Aribeth from Neverwinter Nights:

http://www.tingil.de/images/nwn/portraits/Aribeth_Desk_h.jpg

She did fall from being a Paladin to being a BlackGuard, so I guess that still fits the "Evil & Hot".

Does "The ability to kick ass" apply too? :twisted:

salamander
April 21st, 2009, 03:09 PM
Whoa, didn't mean to upset anyone. I certainly wasn't trying to suggest that people in the UK are all horrible to redheads! I've never gotten the impression that there is widespread or vicious prejudice against redheads there, just that I've heard it exists. Obviously everyone on this site is quite free from hair-related prejudices, except for the widespread conviction that our own personal hair is too short!

Pegasus Marsters
April 21st, 2009, 05:02 PM
Whoa, didn't mean to upset anyone. I certainly wasn't trying to suggest that people in the UK are all horrible to redheads! I've never gotten the impression that there is widespread or vicious prejudice against redheads there, just that I've heard it exists.

Prejudice exists everywhere, and prejudice against redheads isn't exclusive to the UK. :twocents:

Debra83
April 21st, 2009, 05:59 PM
The only thing I've heard of is from the UK about "kick a ginger day" or something like that. Never heard anything bad about a redhead before that except that they are hot-tempered and that's not really bad - just wrong.

Kleis
April 21st, 2009, 06:06 PM
The only thing I've heard of is from the UK about "kick a ginger day" or something like that. Never heard anything bad about a redhead before that except that they are hot-tempered and that's not really bad - just wrong.

Pegs pointed out earlier that "kick a ginger day" is/was Canadian, inspired by South Park (American TV).

hazelnut
April 21st, 2009, 08:36 PM
I think that red hair is beautiful. Red hair only makes up about 2% of the population. (at least that's what I read :)) so if you got it, flaunt it! :)

losgan
April 21st, 2009, 09:26 PM
I get the temper one - but I really think it is just that I have more of an angry appearance when I'm mad than others. I can't hide any emotion.

I do remember a guy in high school saying "red in the head, good in bed" ... but then he saw my temper and didn't get to find out ;)

And I did have one friend say that my distractability made her think of me as a blond with a temper ... but I've never been told I was dumb because of my hair?

lynnala
April 21st, 2009, 09:54 PM
Blondes yes, redheads no. Redheads are seen as feisty, I think.

Natalia
April 21st, 2009, 10:45 PM
Well i dont know abotu red heads being percived as "dumb" or anything but i think they are H-O-T :D!!!! Lol just my 2 cents :p

shayly-fyanna
April 22nd, 2009, 04:56 AM
well, never heard that red heads were dumb. being a red head myself i have heard everything from fiery tempers to crazy to being called a witch (yep in ancient times red haired women were proclaimed as witches.) i've heard all kinds of dumb blonde jokes, but never met a dumb blonde, all those i know are actually very smart. unless they are acting dumb for personal reasons. as someone else here said, if i was playing a video game i'd choose one with a red haired heroine in it.

Tressie
April 22nd, 2009, 08:01 AM
I am unaware of this, however, I have heard the general misconception that a redhead means a person has a hot temper as others have already mentioned. So silly!

marzipanthecat
April 22nd, 2009, 08:37 AM
No, I have not heard it said that red heads are stupid (although I live in the UK). Red heads are meant to be very bad tempered though.

nicolezoie
April 22nd, 2009, 08:39 AM
My first response to the thread title was WHAAAAAAT? Gamer-wife checking in...

Any character I've ever created for a DnD game is ALWAYS female, ALWAYS redheaded, and ALWAYS does major damage. (I'm a brunette, and by nature I'm passionate but alot more subdued then my red-headed alter-egos)

Stupid No. Hot Headed yes. Course, I made Her that way.

Maybe it's the guys your BF games with; husband's gamer friends are much more into fantasy realms like Anime than anything, which guides their character's physical appearance more than anything. Blue hair seems to be most popular, followed by jet black, with the occasional cherry-jello red thrown in.

I'd say he games with a bunch of immature doofuses - the gamers Husband games with are.. ;)

eta: My sister, a natural blond, is one of the smartest women I know (phi beta kappa, graduate studies Summa *** Laude, runs her own private practice for Speech pathology). And, the lead programmer at my work is a blond, and she is nothing short of a Genius.

JamieLeigh
April 22nd, 2009, 08:56 AM
Not to my knowledge, either. Redheads supposedly have a short temper, lol. Most men I know seem to think redheads are "hotter" than blondes or brunettes (hrrrr....:mad:) but normally it's the blondes who get the worst treatment from stupid-jokes here. :pinktongue:

rhubarbarin
April 22nd, 2009, 08:57 AM
As far as I have ever heard, the US likes to make fun of blonde women, in the UK redheaded people of both sexes get disparaged.

It's utterly stupid of course.

Nynaeve
April 22nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
I think nightshade just about covers it here. :)
There are always blond jokes.
There's often a stereotype of the "tight-bunned librarian with glasses" being brunette.
And redheads are seen as extremely feisty, sometimes somewhat crazy.

Blonde
Stupid
Easy
SexyBrunette
Intelligent
Down to earth
SultryRedhead
Hot tempers
Occasionally crazy
SexyDisclaimer: not my personal views, just stereotypes that I've heard guys make.

flapjack
April 22nd, 2009, 09:14 AM
The thing about South Park is that it makes fun of not only US culture, but other cultures, politics, religions, groups of people, etc. The views shown on South Park are usually the views being made fun of in that episode. The people who "kick gingers" were the ones being mocked, not the "gingers". Anyone who's seen the show has probably figured this out, they really exaggerate things so you can tell very easily. South Park is a lot like The Simpsons. There is low-brow humor but there's a lot more to it than that. So if anyone thought South Park was actually poking fun of "gingers", then... I think the joke is on them.

Isilme
April 22nd, 2009, 11:01 AM
Ok, I really appriciate all of you who have taken the time to answer! I was very upset about these stereotypes being fed to tomorrows game makers (it's an education, and the game was a part of a project being judged by a jury of "experienced and knowledgeable game makers" which I think is a bunch of cr*p) The game is a puzzle game where it's important that the female heroine is smart, so they were advised to change her haircolour because according to the jury redheads are seen as stupid in the US.
BF says that apperantly the older generation of americans thinks this (and how many older people play games? Certainly not as many as the younger ones) and when I mention the Final Fantasy games he says, "well, they are from asia"... I have calmly explained for him that, yes, here are certain stereotypes about the temper, the ability in the bed and so on, but not about intelligence. He thinks my arguments are a little bit annoying right now and that I raise a huge argument over such a small thing. But I think it's important that he realizes this isn't based on facts.

enfys
April 22nd, 2009, 12:34 PM
My two best friends were ginger.

Here's a great exapmle of what happened once when our teacher was doing a pastoral lesson (kind of life stuff, not school)

I will use real names because they should make it clear why these people were singled out.

Mrs Jones: Today we're going to talk about bulling. Has anyone here been bullied? Fatemeh, have you ever been bullied because of your headscarf?

Fatemeh: Nope.

Mrs Jones: Oh. Um...Maliza has anyone ever said anything to you because of the colur of your skin?

Maliza: No

Mrs Joned (panicked): Has *anyone* here been bullied.

[every ginger kid (about 4,5) raises their hand]

While one had strawberry blonde hair, my other ginger friend had the pale skin, curls and freckles, the whole ginger package. I was with her when she was spat at, had gum put on her seat and in her hair, been called names (carrot top, ginger nut, ging-er, ginger minger).

She was never called stupid.

Now when we go out she gets more attention than anyone in my motley crew of friends.

I've never heard of anywhere where ginger is considered stupid. I thought it was just an easy target because it was different.

I just checked with the fiance, who has a degree in "creative computer games design" and it wasn't something they were ever advised to consider, or even something the students (all hardcore gamers as you'd imagine) ever talked about.

enfys
April 22nd, 2009, 12:37 PM
How come there aren't stereotypes about black hair?

And why has no-one mentioned that stereotype about people with brown hair being best at absolutely everything, and the longer their hair the *more* better they are? That's not a stereotype? Well it should be!

starshinedarkly
April 22nd, 2009, 12:49 PM
Haha, yes, there so should ^^
And that's horrible about your friend; I can't even imagine that happening at my school but there are only two redheads in my year (of about 100 people) and they only get teased occasionally, but everyone loves it really. :

earthdancer
April 22nd, 2009, 12:50 PM
How come there aren't stereotypes about black hair?

Probably because most people in the world have black hair. Blond, red, and brown hair are by far less common.

jay0
April 22nd, 2009, 12:51 PM
Not that I am aware. As others have mentioned, have heard the stereotype that redheads are short-tempered.

auburnlocks
April 22nd, 2009, 01:13 PM
My hair is naturaly blonde (a darker, ash blonde) and I was picked on alot, even by my own parents (who are not blonde). I've been dieing my hair red for four and a half years now. And now I do not get picked on at all!

OH, and I LOVE red hair. That's probably why I married a red head. :D

For me it's been easyer to be 'ginger'. At least here in the North East.

earthdancer
April 22nd, 2009, 01:26 PM
My hair is naturaly blonde (a darker, ash blonde) and I was picked on alot, even by my own parents (who are not blonde).

What odd things people do! My mother was blonde and blue-eyed, and rail thin, and she thought the only attractive people were thin with blonde hair and blue eyes. So, she married a short fat brown-eyed man with black hair! Needless to say, her children had brown eyes, and I have naturally reddish-brown hair. She thought I was hideous. My brother and sister had blond hair when they were children, but they were chubby. Her whole life, she couldn't stand the sight of us. I never knew why until my sister clued me in after Mom's death.

losgan
April 22nd, 2009, 08:45 PM
My mom (who loves me and my hair) said when they told her the baby she was having was redheaded ... she was tempted to tell them to put it back.

Obviously we're both glad they didn't do that - but I'm glad she waited until I was much older to tell me that!!!

vindo
April 22nd, 2009, 10:31 PM
The only "stupid" redhead cliche I ever heard about was about redhaired rednecks in some movie...Maybe they like to watch stupid movies? :shrug:

Boudicca
April 23rd, 2009, 04:35 AM
I've never heard of the redhead=stupid cliche. I think there is an unacceptable amount of nastiness in the UK over red hair; it's seen as the last 'acceptable' sort of bullying, I think. A lot of it is to do with left-over anti-Irish sentiment. Judging on what some of you Americans have said in the thread, I should consider taking a long holiday in the U.S. :D

I can think of a few gaming redheads offhand: Princess Peach, Kasumi, Hilde, Ganondorf (!)....

Linda K
April 23rd, 2009, 12:02 PM

Blonde
Stupid
Easy
SexyBrunette
Intelligent
Down to earth
SultryRedhead
Hot tempers
Occasionally crazy
Ok, does anyone remember: Three's Company (John Ritter) Charlies Angels? (Kate Jackson, Farah & Jaqualyn Smith) Toss in Marilyn Monroe -I think it's pretty easy to see where these stereotypes come from.

In the US, redheads tend to be called "carrot tops" more than "gingers." We're reputed to be rather sexual, and to have fiery tempers (probably related to the fact that redheads are usually pale, and turn red with emotional responses rather more obviously than someone with darker skin). We're slightly exotic, less down-to-earth than brunettes, and perhaps seen as less bright than brunettes (mainly because they are seen as intelligent, rather than redheads being thought of as dumb).

ETA: This could be interesting for you (study is from California). Diana J. Kyle, Heike I. M. Mahler. THE EFFECTS OF HAIR COLOR AND COSMETIC USE ON PERCEPTIONS OF A FEMALE'S ABILITY. Psychology of Women Quarterly: 20 (3). 447-455. 1996.
Abstract: This experiment examined whether a female applicant's hair color and use of cosmetics might affect perceptions of her ability for a professional position. One hundred thirty six college students reviewed the identical professional resume of a female applicant for the position of a staff accountant. I've heard the carrot top...
This study sounds fascinating! Too bad they didn't toss in one more little item: glasses! I've had social workers tell their kiddo they look "Brainier!" in glasses in hopes they would be more accepting and actually wear them!

The only things I've heard guys say are that blondes are stupid, redheads are moody and brunettes are hot. It's probably a regional thing. In LA, darker hair is considered very attractive as far as I know. If you're blonde, you're teased. If you have any other hair color, no one says anything. This slays me! When I lived in that 'C' state, (the 80's) it seemed everyone was blonde or wanted to be blonde!
I felt the pressure to be a bottle blonde too.

I AM NOT HOT TEMPERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT!!!!!!!!

:boxer:

just kidding :D Couldn't resist.

It *is* true that I might be a little :crazyq: though... I love how you did this!

All the American posters have to say is "Nope, that's not an opinion I've heard of." rather than "Nope, but the Brits all hate Redheads!" and then continuing to post this opinion over and over after the British members have stepped in several times and stated "Err... that's a misconception."

If someone has a misconception about Americans, then correct us! How the heck is anyone meant to learn if you just roll your eyes and move on?

Kleis: Kick A Ginger day was triggered by a South Park episode. It certainly did not start over here and I heard no incidences of it being picked up over here.
All started over this??? Unbelievable! The name = enough said! That show must be written by traumatized guys still stuck at the emotional age of 8!

It's called: "Dumb like a fox!"

The thing about South Park is that it makes fun of not only US culture, but other cultures, politics, religions, groups of people, etc. The views shown on South Park are usually the views being made fun of in that episode. T
... do nothing beneficial to mankind.

The only thing I recall hearing was my bro-n-law singing: "I'd rather be dead than red in the head ..." I have no clue what the rest was - as he made sure to drop his voice. I colored my hair "Red Ginger" Ironically, his wife was a fiesty / pettite redhead. I figured the temper was the redhead part (John Wayne - the Quiet Man) and the fiesty part - her pettite stature. After all - that's what I grew up hearing ... ;-)

frillyfroofroo
April 23rd, 2009, 01:17 PM

No, in the US, it is blondes, not redheads. There are many "dumb blonde" jokes.

Pegasus Marsters
April 24th, 2009, 09:26 AM
The thing about South Park is that it makes fun of not only US culture, but other cultures, politics, religions, groups of people, etc. The views shown on South Park are usually the views being made fun of in that episode. The people who "kick gingers" were the ones being mocked, not the "gingers". Anyone who's seen the show has probably figured this out, they really exaggerate things so you can tell very easily. South Park is a lot like The Simpsons. There is low-brow humor but there's a lot more to it than that. So if anyone thought South Park was actually poking fun of "gingers", then... I think the joke is on them.

Oh I understand that, but the ignorant kids who started the 'Kick A Ginger' groups clearly didn't understand that and it kicked off a whole huge thing.

Ok, I really appriciate all of you who have taken the time to answer! I was very upset about these stereotypes being fed to tomorrows game makers (it's an education, and the game was a part of a project being judged by a jury of "experienced and knowledgeable game makers" which I think is a bunch of cr*p) The game is a puzzle game where it's important that the female heroine is smart, so they were advised to change her haircolour because according to the jury redheads are seen as stupid in the US.
BF says that apperantly the older generation of americans thinks this (and how many older people play games? Certainly not as many as the younger ones) and when I mention the Final Fantasy games he says, "well, they are from asia"... I have calmly explained for him that, yes, here are certain stereotypes about the temper, the ability in the bed and so on, but not about intelligence. He thinks my arguments are a little bit annoying right now and that I raise a huge argument over such a small thing. But I think it's important that he realizes this isn't based on facts.

Yes, Final Fantasy is made in Japan... but errrr it sells astoundingly well in the UK and USA, so his argument falls a wee bit flat there. Also the Dead Or Alive series has some redheads in.

And even if the stereotype did exist how about challenging it by creating the smart redhead and putting her out there? The only way to beat these stereotypes is by challenging peoples perceptions!