PDA

View Full Version : updos and hurting scalp....what to do?

cocolover
April 20th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Okay, I know (KNOW) I don't have the thickest hair on this board, so I'm just assuming I have a sensitive scalp because I can't keep my hair up all day without my scalp starting to hurt. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on styles? I want to keep my hair protected as it gets longer. I need to practice braiding more (my braids looks horrible), but what are other things I can do? Thanks for any advice.

Shanarana
April 20th, 2009, 01:39 PM
What are you using now to put your hair up?

HairColoredHair
April 20th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Updo pain, for me, comes from a number of different things.

Updos that are too tight can pull on hairs, which then makes the scalp ache.

Updos that are too loose can weigh oddly or move, which pulls on hairs and makes the scalp ache.

Updos that bulge out too much (not flat against the head) pull the head back which makes the neck/head hurt.

Updos that are too high pull the head back, which makes the head/neck hurt.

I get more updo headaches with sticks than wavelength pins/ficarre.

cocolover
April 20th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I have been using hair sticks, ketlyos being my faves. Do most people do better with ficcares? I have made sure no to pull too tight, maybe I'm doing them too loose?

Akiko
April 20th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Where do you make a bun? High or low? By adjusting the position of a bun, you might find a comfortable spot. Mine is lower near the nape. But not too low.

OhioLisa
April 20th, 2009, 02:56 PM
For me, it's all about balance and proper weight distribution. Try wearing styles that distribute the weight better. :)

spidermom
April 20th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I recommend spending some time in the hair styling section under ARTICLES (top of this page). Try different styles in different placements when you have the time. Eventually you'll find one or two that will serve you well (more than likely). Good luck. I have my sensitive days, too, and have to change styles 2 or 3 times during the day to avoid getting a headache.

jera
April 20th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Okay, I know (KNOW) I don't have the thickest hair on this board, so I'm just assuming I have a sensitive scalp because I can't keep my hair up all day without my scalp starting to hurt. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on styles? I want to keep my hair protected as it gets longer. I need to practice braiding more (my braids looks horrible), but what are other things I can do? Thanks for any advice.

I do, I do. I lost a lost of hair and thickness due to aenemia a few years ago and then lost more to damage from doing nasty things to my hair to add volume like blow drying and curling. :( My scalp used to hurt a bit from putting my hair up so when it starts to hurt I take my hair down for fifteen to 20 min. This has solved the problem for me. Maybe it will help you too. ;)

Helen Baq
April 20th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Updo pain, for me, comes from a number of different things.

Updos that are too tight can pull on hairs, which then makes the scalp ache.

Updos that are too loose can weigh oddly or move, which pulls on hairs and makes the scalp ache.

Updos that bulge out too much (not flat against the head) pull the head back which makes the neck/head hurt.

I second all these, plus I'll add a couple -

When I put my hair up with bobby pins, they sometimes poke at my scalp a bit. It's not even noticable when I first put it up, but after a few hours it can get bothersome.

When I have my hair up for several hours, my arrectores pilorum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erector_pili_muscle) - the muscles that make your hairs stand up - get sore. This is a bit annoying while my hair is up, but really feels achy for a few minutes after I take my hair down. It doesn't really have anything to do with how heavy your hair is, or what particular updo you use, the muscles just get tired from being held in a shortened position for a long time. :)

Anje
April 20th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I often like hair sticks more than Ficcares -- they're generally quite a bit lighter.

There are two major ways that I get scalp pain:
1) The hair is pulled too tight. This could be all the hair (not recommended -- the last thing you want is traction alopecia in addition to the sore scalp!), or a small section down to a few hairs, perhaps caused by the updo sagging or twisting. I find vertical hair sticks are more likely to pull than horizontal ones, as well as being more likely to poke me in the neck.
2) The hair is going in a weird direction, similarly to when you make a deep part on the opposite side from normal. I get this from high buns and from styles like crown braids that tend to have hair going up that is used to aiming down. Sometimes it starts to ache in the "up" position after a few hours, other times the pain only really starts when I take the hair down. Lower buns and braids are the best way for me to prevent this.

ETA: It seems like the people with big, heavy hair tend to have more problems with the first cause than I do. Annoyingly, one of the remedies for this is to put your bun right on top of your head, so that the weight rests on your head, rather than pulling at the hairline, but this causes problem #2. I suppose this is the upside of having thinner hair!

cocolover
April 20th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I will keep experimenting, thank you everyone for the replies. I usually place my bun kind of in the middle. Maybe I will try to do it more at the nape of the neck and see if that helps. I'm pretty sure I'm not pulling too tight, I don't like the really slick/tight look and do mine looser.

Curlsgirl
April 20th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Definitely work on learning braids because for me sometimes that is the only way I can get my hair out of the way without it hurting. Even those hurt sometimes for me my scalp can be so sensitive at times.

A couple of things I would recommend, try all different positions for the styles on your head. Or even position the sticks or forks in a different place on the updo. For instance, I love Figure 8s and I have to put it higher on my head when I flip it up and start the tip of the stick up at the crown on the left usually to get a good hold and for it not to hurt. Then sometimes I have to only take the stick out and put it back in on the RIGHT side if it starts to pull later on in the day.

Another thing that helps me is scritching when I wear my hair up a lot and also varying updos which is a REAL challenge for me since I don't know that many and I really don't care for cinnabuns.

For me, Amish pins are the most comfortable in general, then one stick. I can hardly ever wear a Ficcare because they are so heavy. Sometimes when I am sick I put a loose high bun on my head (so I can lie back comfortably) and put little claw clips all around it to hold it. I also do this when I do housework sometimes. I wear my hair down or halfup when I can too to relieve the scalp.

HTH!

snowbear
April 20th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I find that if I haven't detangled my hair properly, when I go to bun it can pull oddly and hurt. For me, it's about finding balance. :meditate: :lol: