PDA

View Full Version : New with some questions

Rapunzal2Be
April 20th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I hope you guys don't get tired of answering these types of threads - and I promise I've been doing my reading and using the search feature to research things, but I have some specific questions and hope to get some help! Much appreciated!

Right now I've got shoulder length hair, most of which - except for about two inches of new growth - has been bleached and colored many times. I'm currently using Natural Instincts to bring that blonde hair to match my roots and to add red tones overall. I have been using Nioxin - shampoo, conditioner, mask, and treatment, as well as shine serum.

I've noticed great results since starting the Nioxin line about two months ago - with a halo of new growth easily visible at my hair line and along my part. However, I'm still shedding a great deal.

My hair seems to be in overall good condition - no split ends, not dry. It looks very shiny and healthy.

But I have been reading about 'cones and my whole system is full of them. I also read about CWC and happen to have Mane and Tale and a Tresseme Moisture conditioner on hand (I tend to stock up, so I had extras when I went to Nioxin, and now am set with Nioxin for at least four more months) but they also have 'cones.

I'm not willing to part with Nioxin at this time, both because my hair looks fantastic and because of the huge expense and quantity I have on hand.

But here's the rub - I've not had my hair even get to BSL since childhood. Could be many reasons - constant bleaching and coloring, wanting "a change" when life gets stressful, and listening to beauticians tell me that my hair was "too fine to look good long" and therefore leading to a chop. But from what I can remember each time I'd cut it, it was starting to look scraggly and stringy just when I was gaining any length.

So this time I am in it to win it - I want to grow it as long as I can. I'm committed for the long term. I figure the Nioxin system is really helping with new growth and I've just started Monistat last night as well. I'm also starting scalp massage, which feels fantastic, and given up brushing. I'm also game to cut back washing and always do CWC.

Which leads me to my questions.

If you wash just once or twice per week (using CWC), what do you do the other days? Keep it dry under a shower cap? Just rinse with water? Just condition? Which is the best?

If my main products are 'cones, would there be no point in adding extra conditioning with conditioners like Suave or V05, which are good moisture? Will the 'cones make it impossible for the moisture to do any good work?

Can I use coconut oil while using the 'coney products? Should I use it for my scalp? Ends? Will it penetrate at all?

If my 'coney products are working now, should I still be worried about the ends of my hair, long term?

How often should I clarify, if at all? And why? When do you know you need to?

I plan on getting a wooden or seamless comb to use, using an Aquis towel, washing less often, conditioning more often, oiling (if it will help), scalp massage nightly, using a satin pillowcase, and bunning with a soft scrunchie (is that okay? my hair is too thin and fine for a stick or anything else at this point). Oh and I'd like to give Cassia a try.

Is there anything I missed? Am I doing too much? Too little?

I'm sorry I went on and on, I have a tendency to be very wordy, but any and all help is very greatly appreciated! I am really enjoying this site and everyone seems so very sweet!!

SheWolf
April 20th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I hope you guys don't get tired of answering these types of threads - and I promise I've been doing my reading and using the search feature to research things, but I have some specific questions and hope to get some help! Much appreciated!

Right now I've got shoulder length hair, most of which - except for about two inches of new growth - has been bleached and colored many times. I'm currently using Natural Instincts to bring that blonde hair to match my roots and to add red tones overall. I have been using Nioxin - shampoo, conditioner, mask, and treatment, as well as shine serum.

I've noticed great results since starting the Nioxin line about two months ago - with a halo of new growth easily visible at my hair line and along my part. However, I'm still shedding a great deal.

My hair seems to be in overall good condition - no split ends, not dry. It looks very shiny and healthy.

But I have been reading about 'cones and my whole system is full of them. I also read about CWC and happen to have Mane and Tale and a Tresseme Moisture conditioner on hand (I tend to stock up, so I had extras when I went to Nioxin, and now am set with Nioxin for at least four more months) but they also have 'cones.

I'm not willing to part with Nioxin at this time, both because my hair looks fantastic and because of the huge expense and quantity I have on hand.

But here's the rub - I've not had my hair even get to BSL since childhood. Could be many reasons - constant bleaching and coloring, wanting "a change" when life gets stressful, and listening to beauticians tell me that my hair was "too fine to look good long" and therefore leading to a chop. But from what I can remember each time I'd cut it, it was starting to look scraggly and stringy just when I was gaining any length.

So this time I am in it to win it - I want to grow it as long as I can. I'm committed for the long term. I figure the Nioxin system is really helping with new growth and I've just started Monistat last night as well. I'm also starting scalp massage, which feels fantastic, and given up brushing. I'm also game to cut back washing and always do CWC.

If you wash just once or twice per week (using CWC), what do you do the other days? Keep it dry under a shower cap? Just rinse with water? Just condition? Which is the best?

If my main products are 'cones, would there be no point in adding extra conditioning with conditioners like Suave or V05, which are good moisture? Will the 'cones make it impossible for the moisture to do any good work?

Can I use coconut oil while using the 'coney products? Should I use it for my scalp? Ends? Will it penetrate at all?

If my 'coney products are working now, should I still be worried about the ends of my hair, long term?

I plan on getting a wooden or seamless comb to use, using an Aquis towel, washing less often, conditioning more often, oiling (if it will help), scalp massage nightly, using a satin pillowcase, and bunning with a soft scrunchie (is that okay? my hair is too thin and fine for a stick or anything else at this point). Oh and I'd like to give Cassia a try.

I'm sorry I went on and on, I have a tendency to be very wordy, but any and all help is very greatly appreciated! I am really enjoying this site and everyone seems so very sweet!!

I used cones for 4 years, clarifying once a week, and for 4 years it was fine.
All of a sudden, my hair got drier and drier, stopped responding to moisturizing treatments and when I first tried oil it made my hair feel fried and crispy.
Proteins wound up like a gunky, gummy build up that was sticky and gross.
I recently went on a major clarifying rampage (clarifying every other day for over a week) but at first didn't realized my conditioners were loaded with cones so I finally got the hang of it, clarified and used coconut oil, then clarified again and used a cone free conditioner plus a cone free leave in.
Today my hair is finally feeling soft and silky but now I have to leave it alone for a while.
I think I'll go cone free for several weeks at least, then I'll just have to be careful to use water soluble cones if any.

I would suggest to keep watching it carefully, cones seem to work for a while until all hell breaks loose. And in my case, as long as I had cones in my hair, oil made it worse.

manderly
April 20th, 2009, 11:25 AM

I personally keep my hair dry and will just spritz it with water if I need to refresh the waves. Others completely wet their hair between washes. It's a preference thing :)

Cones seal the hairshaft, protecting the hair, but also locking out any moisture. I am not sure if you can lock moisture under the cones......this is something I'm not sure of.

I have used coconut oil while using cones. It didn't feel like it penetrated much, but the cocount oil was used mostly to tame frizz and fluff for me. A nice scalp massage with coconut oil can still be done :)

No, many longhaired members are die-hard cone users. It's about using what works for you.

Rule of thumb is when your hair feel rough, dry, or tangly. The first troubleshooting technique is to clarify.

Sounds like a good plan :)

It's very common to have brain overload, try a ton of things at once, bemoan that nothing is working, calm down, then start trying one or two things at a time until something clicks :)

Welcome to LHC. :flower:

Spike
April 20th, 2009, 11:27 AM
First off--welcome to the group!

Second, one thing at a time. Really. The point of the experiment is to find out what works (and does not work) for you and your own personal private hair. Some members find Monistat works, some don't. Some members mutter "cold dead hands" when cone products are mentioned, others run away screaming in horror.

Really, if you have an adverse reaction to something, it's much easier to chase down the culprit when you just added one thing at a time to your routine. You've just added Monistat and scalp massage (scalp massage could be partially responsible for the shed, by the way, as you are now loosening hairs that were ready to fall anyway). So give your hair a bit to adjust to the new routine before adding oils or changing up your washing routine.

If you like the way coney products work on your hair, use 'em! Each head is different. Ditto oiling, CWC, etc. Try it for a week or three, see what happens and if you like the effect, then keep it or change it.

feralnature
April 20th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Hello Rapunzal, and welcome :)

I think you may be trying to do everything at once. Perhaps over thinking it. At least, that is what I did when I was new. I have settled into a simple routine. I wash twice a week in the winter with cone-less shampoo and conditioner. I use VO5. On the days I do not wash, I put my hair up in a clip and just shower. It is okay if my hair gets damp from the steam, my hair likes it. It keeps hair from being stripped of oils I think.

In the summer, I wash as needed as I live in a warm climate and work outside, so I must wash my hair more frequently.

I use coconut oil in my hair on dry windy days when it feels like it is too dry on the ends. I get a small half a pea amount and start with that. I warm it up on my fingers and work it into my ends. Then a little more if needed. In my siggy pic, I have some oil in the ends, it was a windy day. Coconut oil has helped me gain length because my hair is fine and delicate and breaks easy. The oil helps prevent splits. I have not cut/trimmed my hair in 18 months.

I mostly ignore my hair and try not to obscess about it. I do not measure but once a year, and only take pics a few times a year to update on this forum. That way I can see changes better.

Also, now that I am a member here, I try not to allow any hair breakage. I use scrunchies which are soft, clips which do not tear my hair, and try not to break a single hair.

I hope some of this helped :)

Rapunzal2Be
April 21st, 2009, 01:44 AM
Thanks everyone!

Yes, I guess I did get a little hair obsessed since starting on this site!

I am so used to the thought process of - 'the key to great hair is finding the best (most expensive) products and good styling'. :run:

I guess I am still here in search of the 'holy grail' and wanting to try everything at once to perform miracles. :uhh:

:yinyang: :meditate: I think I'm going to chill.

I'm going to grab the coconut oil and a safe comb and see for a while how I react to the scalp massage and Monistat. I'm going away for a month in a few weeks, and don't want to travel with my huge bottles of Nioxin, so I may try to go 'cone free with some inexpensive products while I'm away, If that doesn't go well I can always buy a small bottle of my Nioxin there, and if it does work I'll reevaluate then.

Other than that, I guess I'll force myself to try benign neglect and realize that I've got a long road ahead of me and will go crazy if I micromanage every step!

Katze
April 21st, 2009, 02:18 AM

We have similar hair, and a similar hair history, so I will try to answer some of your questions.

I found that 'cones make my scalp itchy and crusty. I do still use them very occasionally, but prefer well-moisturized hair without them. SMTs worked VERY well for me - maybe they would work for you? (and I did do SMTs with 'cone conditioner too...)

Nioxin seemed to slow hair loss for me short term but did not fix the long term problem - diet and stress management seem to be the best things for helping maximize my hair growth. Do you eat well, drink enough water, etc? Do you get enough "good fats" in your diet? Enough sleep and exercise?

I was always told my hair would not grow, but I also always dyed/bleached/highlighted it in addition to heat styling to get it straight. Every stylist told me it was "too thin" to get long - LHC has proved otherwise.

I wash every 5 days or so, currently alternating CWC, WO, and CO. If I use sulfate shampoo (for example after swimming) regularly then I do not need to clarify. Days when I don"t wash my hair, I just put it up before showering, and oil the parts that get damp after my shower.

Personally I would use less 'cones, or slowly mix your Nioxin with some other products. Here in Germany I really like the Alverde products from DM, though I have to "import" them from Ost-Westfalen where my BF's family lives since there is no DM here in the north. Logona and Lavera are also good, but more expensive.

hth!

Chrissy
April 21st, 2009, 06:54 AM
I just wanted to say welcome!! All good advice for you here. I do think the best advice that someone gave is find out what your hair likes. Try one thing at a time and see how your hair does with it. For me I use both cone and no cone products. I don't go totally one way or the other and my hair does good with that.

I know you will see a big difference once you find what makes your hair happy. Youv'e already gotten off to a good start just by saying you're in it for the long haul. You want to take good care of your hair. I wish you the best in your long hair journey.

One more piece of advice. Try and enjoy each step of the growing process. I know I let myself get discouraged during some of the growing out stages. Try and love your hair as much as possible with the goal of taking good care of it. Even if it's driving you crazy try and find at least one thing good to say about it.

Of course there are always all the good people on here to lean on!!!

Elbereth
April 21st, 2009, 07:39 AM
My standard advice: start a hair journal. Writing your thoughts down is a great way to sort them out and also keep track on your progress and how different things will work for you. It's also a great and productive way to obsess a little!:D

Our hair types are quite similar, so I'll answer some of your questions:

-I wash my hair twice a week. On in between days, what I do depends on if I have gotten sweaty or dusty during the day. If yes, then I will rinse my hair with plain water. If no, then I will wear a shower cap.

-Good comb, Aquis towel and a satin pillowcase are probably good investments. Also, learning to wear your hair up early on is IMO a good idea. For me, I think that starting to wear my hair up as soon as I was able to, was one of the best ideas I have had on my long hair journey. It helps you to get used to updos, you will get to enjoy many different styles in the different stages of your journey to long hair, and it will protect your hair. At first, I just twisted my hair up with a claw clip. France Luxe has some lovely seamless claw clips you might want to check out. If you want to "do something", now (or very soon) would also be a good time to start learning how to French braid your own hair. Braiding is a very useful "longhair skill" and will also give you something to "do" while you wait, wait, wait, nice things to happen.

Welcome to LHC!

morguebabe
April 21st, 2009, 11:44 AM
start a hair journal and play around thats half the fun. What works for me may not work for you