PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a novice

SheWolf
April 20th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I keep reading about the evils of using elastics. Are we talking a bout fabric covered elastics? Because... I use those to put my hair in a ponytail when I workout.
Otherwise what should I use?
Also, I am beginning to feel those awkward moments when I sleep with my hair loose, where it gets wrapped around my head and wakes me up. Do you ladies braid your hair to sleep?
Last but not least: I cannot find anywhere any decent hair toys, they're all too small and flimsy, they either break or don't hold anything. (except for my octopus clip, and that one is getting to be too small, too) Where can I find hair accessories for thick, long hair?

JamieLeigh
April 20th, 2009, 08:50 AM
If you're using fabric-covered elastics, try to find the type with no metal parts or seams. "Ouchless" is a good type. And just make sure they're not in too tightly, that could cause breakage. (And NEVER separate a ponytail into two parts and pull them apart to tighten it up....that's a huge no-no!!)

The sleeping-hair issue is still on the table, as far as which way is best. Different things seem to work for different people. I sleep with mine loose, as I'm deathly afraid of breakage during the night from a braid or bun because I toss like crazy in my sleep. And I don't get a lot of tangles despite how long my hair is. Other people do tangle badly, so they have really no choice but to keep it out of the way and up or braided during sleep. The best solution I've heard so far is the silk bonnet. That way you're not rubbing your head around on your pillow AND not wrapping up in your hair at night painfully.

I had trouble with my hair stuff too, when my hair started to get waist length and beyond so I had to buy bigger clips - and then I got here last autumn and learned how to do styles with hair sticks. There are SO many different ways to use them and if you find some good sturdy ones, they'll be a great investment hair-wise. Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=category&categoryid=1) is the link to the hair style articles on this site, if you haven't looked at them already. :)

I hope this helps!! :flower:

SheWolf
April 20th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Wow thanks! :)
I also went on the accessories page and found links to places that sell big combs and forks and sticks.
The thing is I've always been a big klutz with hairstyles, I'm the kind of person who looks like she has a head injury instead of a hairstyle...
I see some of the avatars and sig pics here and I drool with envy, because seriously, I can't imagine ever being able to come up with the cool hairstyles I see here.
Yet I need to find something that works so I have to keep trying.

JamieLeigh
April 20th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Some of them aren't as difficult as they look - and the rest just take a little practice. :)

spidermom
April 20th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I put my hair into a top-of-head ponytail with a velvet scrunchie at night. Sometimes I coil the length of the ponytail around the base and tuck the ends under the scrunchie. For exercise, it's one Dutch or French braid down the back.

SheWolf
April 20th, 2009, 10:38 AM
When using combs, forks and sticks, is it necessary to secure the hair with an elastic, first, or not?

SheWolf
April 20th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I put my hair into a top-of-head ponytail with a velvet scrunchie at night. Sometimes I coil the length of the ponytail around the base and tuck the ends under the scrunchie. For exercise, it's one Dutch or French braid down the back.

I have yet to learn how to braid... :o

Pierre
April 20th, 2009, 10:42 AM
To sleep, I put my hair in a Buff. If I have Flexis on, I usually keep them on; they're comfy enough to sleep with.

Flexi-8 comes in six sizes, from small enough for my temples to big enough for Parthenia's bun. I have three now (and have sometimes worn all three at once) and three more on the way. I also have Ficcares and hairscroos. My favorite Ficcares are Mini Maxes, which I usually wear on my temples to keep hair out of my face. All of them are quite durable, though I haven't had Flexis long enough to know. Once I twisted a hairscroo out of kilter trying to put it into a too-tight bun. I extracted it and rekiltered it and it's still fine.

rags
April 20th, 2009, 10:48 AM
When using combs, forks and sticks, is it necessary to secure the hair with an elastic, first, or not?

That would totally depend on the style. For instance, chinese buns are started with an elastic (unless you want to braid it), but cinnabuns are not. I very seldom use them, and I have been wearing my hair up a vast majority of the time. Mostly I only use the tiny clear ones on the end of a braid.

SheWolf
April 20th, 2009, 10:50 AM
That would totally depend on the style. For instance, chinese buns are started with an elastic (unless you want to braid it), but cinnabuns are not. I very seldom use them, and I have been wearing my hair up a vast majority of the time. Mostly I only use the tiny clear ones on the end of a braid.

I'm sorry I must sound like the most ignorant person on the planet but... what's a cinnabun? :o