PDA

View Full Version : Sets and Pantyhose and Layers

LaurelSpring
April 4th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Greetings,

I've been semi lurking for awhile here and I have to just tell everyone what an inspiration this site has been to me. I am making a total hair transformation. This week I am transitioning to every other day washes, no blow dryer, no curling iron, updos and oiling.

To make it between washes I have tried to set my hair at night. I havent seen any posts on sets. Is setting good for you hair? What do you use to set it? I have heard something about cutting up panty hose for bands or can you use this to set hair? Just curious about how you would do this. I have a couple of different things I have used but its hard to sleep in any of them. I would appreciate any help on this.

Also, this winter I got alot of layers cut into my hair and now that I want to grow them out Im not sure if I should keep trimming them (take forever to grow) or just let them go and nip the ends. Any help on this would be appreciate too.

I have really loved the threads on the diva cup (just got one) sewing and knitting etc.

You guys are great!

Bright Blessings
Fran

heidihug
April 4th, 2008, 02:18 PM
just let them go and nip the ends

That's what I would do (and, in fact, have done). If you cut all the layers off, I think it's way too big of a change and can be kind of depressing. This way, when the layers get a little longer, you can start to do fun up-dos and things!

Also, since I came here, I have started washing my hair every three days instead of every two, unless it's really greasy or dirty. I am just about the oiliest person I know, so it can be done, and results will really show in healthier hair after a while.

wintersun99
April 4th, 2008, 06:38 PM

BrianaFineHair
April 4th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I don't know how to "set" hair with hose, but I have read that cutting hose up and using in place of a rubber band is much more gentle for the hair. I've tried it and it works really well.

Now considering my own hair, I think I'll do this once I'm long enough for good ponytails. What a good idea!

Darian Moone
April 4th, 2008, 10:51 PM
There is a thread around here somewhere about ways of rolling hair (still trying to get used to the newness here - sorry I'm not more helpful).

I do it to stretch time between washes sometimes too. I use various methods: sponge rollers, rag curls, are the most comfortable and easiest. Gentle on hair too.

LaurelSpring
April 5th, 2008, 08:04 AM
For the rag rollers do you just cut up old material? Is one material better than another? what sizes do you cut them. The other problem I have with setting my hair is crimping the ends. I have thought about using perm papers or maybe just gel?

Also I had a question about steam rollers. I know how bad blow drying and curling irons are but are the steam rollers as bad? Do they also boil hair? I know conair has a steam straightener out now and I was wondering if the steam was just as bad.

Thank you for your help!

Blessings
Fran

Darian Moone
April 5th, 2008, 09:31 AM
The size of rag rollers will depend on how big of a curl you're making (how thick your hair is, etc. It's up to you. I always use cotton because it's absorbent (I usually roll with hair that still damp). I don't bother with gels - they just make hair crispy for me. Perm papers would be better for your hair if you have to use something. I don't know if steam rollers boil hair because I don't use them and I'm really not sure what you mean. If they are hot to your fingers they will be hot on your hair. I had a hot roller set once that created some sort of steam that came out once you lifted the lid. Is that what you mean? If it is, I remember the rollers were hot. Just because they get damp doesn't make the heat less damaging. Example: If you put a hot dry iron on your skin it would burn you. If you put a hot iron that was wet on your skin it would still burn you. Hot styling instruments are the enemy of healthy hair IMHO.

Raederle
April 5th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Sorry to hijack here, but am I the only sadly unfashionable one to read the thread title thinking this was about sweater sets, clothing layers, and how to disguise pantyhose. Man, am I a doofus, or what? Sometimes, there's just no hope, yes?

As far as setting, here's (http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip049.htm) an article about rag curlers. I've seen them in stores for far less than this (http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2018389), but it shows you what they look like.

If you've got some wave in your hair already, they work pretty well. I know you listed yourself as a 1a, which I thought I was until I let my hair dry without manipulation, and realized I had waves. It may be the case with you, as well. If not, you can use a tiny bit of aloe vera gel, set the hair damp, and leave them in until fully dry.

The hardest part for me was not manipulating the hair once the curlers came out. Have fun with them, and be sure to post pictures, yes?

LilyMunster
April 5th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Doofus, too.:p

Raederle
April 5th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Okay, thanks. Now I feel I'm in great company.

ETA: I just read this and realized it could sound sarcastic. I certainly do not intend that. I'm sincerely pleased to keep company with LilyMunster :flowers:

LilyMunster
April 5th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I did not read it as sarcastic. Guess I'm a bit thick;)

teela1978
April 5th, 2008, 11:33 AM
As far as setting, here's (http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip049.htm) an article about rag curlers. I've seen them in stores for far less than this (http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2018389), but it shows you what they look like.

That's interesting. When my grandmother used to give me rag curls she'd literally cut up a rag and use the pieces to roll up my hair, then tie the ends together. It was kinda cute while they were still in (depending on the fabric scraps used).

Can't imagine buying rag curlers.

LaurelSpring
April 5th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the great rag curler and pin curl link Raederle. I'm going to give this a try.

Mely
April 5th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Another doofus over here :waving:

Raederle
April 5th, 2008, 10:14 PM
That's interesting. When my grandmother used to give me rag curls she'd literally cut up a rag and use the pieces to roll up my hair, then tie the ends together. It was kinda cute while they were still in (depending on the fabric scraps used).

Can't imagine buying rag curlers.

I remember this, too. The pink gingham was always a favorite. I have to admit I was surprised to see you could buy them some years ago, when I saw them in a store.

Thanks for the great rag curler and pin curl link Raederle. I'm going to give this a try.

Glad to help; good luck to you. And don't forget the pictures.

Another doofus over here :waving:

Yay, now we are three :wethree:

Darian Moone
April 5th, 2008, 10:48 PM
I use scrap rags too. Cloth diapers cut up or flannel can make nice rag curl and are my favorite fabrics to use.

spidermom
April 5th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Regarding setting my hair: I put a ponytail on top of my head, then roll my hair onto sponge rollers. They are gentle on my hair as long as I'm careful about how I roll it and don't let my hair slop off into the hinge. I put the roller about 6 inches from the bottom of my hair and wrap the end first, then roll the rest of my length onto the roller. This way I can sleep with my rollers in my hair as long as I arrange the pillows just right.

A good way to trim layers is to again put a ponytail right on top of your head, then pull the length forward and slide the ponytail holder down your length right in line with your nose. Then snip off the tip ends of your layers.

kadje
April 6th, 2008, 12:04 AM
If you sew, here is a link to a tutorial for making soft curlers:

http://lifewithmonkey.wordpress.com/2007/09/03/hair-curler-sewing-tutorial/

Raederle
April 6th, 2008, 12:18 AM
I used to do something similar spidermom. Putting it up in the pony would give a little lift. Maybe I'll do some playing around with curling my hair, just to see how it goes.

Riot Crrl
April 6th, 2008, 12:26 AM
This is slightly OT but here's what I do for cutting up stuff for bands.

Rather than pantyhose, I wear cotton tights. They are not all cotton, or they would be 20 feet long the second I put them on. They are like 60% cotton and 20% lycra or something. They help with my "sweating issues" more than 100% synthetic tights, lol.

I am kind of rough on them, and inevitably I get stuck to something sharp or they just get a hole for whatever reason. When that happens, I cut all the legs up (except the part with the hole which I toss) and use them as scrunchies. I really like them and I think they are less abrasive to hair than 100% synthetic hose. Plus my cat steals my scrunchies all the time so a cheap/reused solution is good.

spidermom
April 6th, 2008, 12:37 AM
I used to do something similar spidermom. Putting it up in the pony would give a little lift. Maybe I'll do some playing around with curling my hair, just to see how it goes.

What a great idea! We should all set our hair and post pictures!

Raederle
April 6th, 2008, 10:21 AM
It's your great idea, so go get that thread started, girl. I'm shooting for Tuesday, as I've got the day off, and I can curl it Monday night. I'll need to scalp wash Tuesday evening anyway, so it sounds like a good time.

LaurelSpring
April 6th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Thank you everyone for the awesome info and links. I did pin curls last night and I absolutely loved it! I didnt have any problems sleeping on it either. I found some material to cut up so I am going to try the rag curls tonight. I am saving the link for making the curlers. I am getting a sewing machine next week and need some projects to get started on. I cut up some panyhose last night also and have that in my hair now and its working just fine!

MermaidGirl
April 6th, 2008, 03:04 PM
If you sew, here is a link to a tutorial for making soft curlers:

http://lifewithmonkey.wordpress.com/2007/09/03/hair-curler-sewing-tutorial/

Thank you for that link, Kadje! Those curlers are actually really cute! The ones shown were 4 inches - I wonder if making them longer (5 or 6 inches) would be better for longer hair? A friend of mine at work has a daughter with an Etsy site; she is quite creative and can sew very well. I will have to ask her to make some curlers ...

Dianyla
April 6th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Sorry to hijack here, but am I the only sadly unfashionable one to read the thread title thinking this was about sweater sets, clothing layers, and how to disguise pantyhose. Man, am I a doofus, or what? Sometimes, there's just no hope, yes?
Another doofus, here! :p

It didn't help that, when I saw this thread title last night, right underneath it there was the thread entitled So what happened to my slip? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2271) :lol:

LaurelSpring
April 7th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I tried the rag curlers last night. I used rags that I cut up from an old cloth napkin. It was a total disaster. My hair looked like an afro. I managed to get it into a bun for the day. The pin curls worked out perfectly. I made larger curls around my finger and then held them with those large metal clips that snap into place. It was really easy and quick. I couldnt feel them at all when I was sleeping. I still want to try putting it in a pnytail and curling the ends with sponge rollers. I dont know how well that will work right now with my layers.

LaurelSpring
April 9th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I tried Spidermom's method of putting up and sponge rolling the ends last night. It worked really well. The curls are very loose and soft. They are dropping pretty fast but I love the loose waves.

I am going to try making the rollers this weekend. I havent sewn in years and it will make a good little project.