PDA

View Full Version : A Mane Newbie

Nastacia
April 19th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Well, I see a lot of topics about different products and so on, and I was just thinking if any one of you could help me with a pick to make my hair healthier.

To start off - I never really used anything to damage my hair. Never been using a product that can harm you on a daily basis, very rarely blo drying ( once in three months approx. ) never used a flat iron and so on. Apart from shampoos that were not of a very good quality, thats all !

To list the things I use on my hair :

A brush - Jean Louis David, it's plastic and the bristles have little round bits at the ends.

Hair bands.

Bio-Healthy shampoos : Logona. I use four different types : calendula ( for dry and strawy hair, to regain vitality ) camomile (?) ( makes the hair silky shiny and very soft for blonde hair ) honey & beer ( for volume and shine for thin hair) and sandal wood ( for re-stabilisation and shine against dandruff and any itching, reddening etc ) They all work very well and I switch from one to another depending on what my hair/scalp needs.

For condish I use Kerastase Nutridefence Mask (rinse-off) I'm not sure it is the best choice though...

My ends are a bit crunchy and dry, though there are no split ends and I really want to prevent cutting them ! :knit: I also feel like I could have a bit more volume and thickness to it as I am planning to let it grow quite long :D :silly:

My hair has natural highlights and a big variety of colours, from ash brown to lighter ash blond and to completely strawberry blonde strands out of nowhere... It has some natural wave too.

So if you have any suggestions on what should I change/add/exclude to make my hair better it will be very appreciated.

Meanwhile I will absorb all the information on this site, it is soo much though :rolleyes:

Thank you for you kind attention~
:blossom:

viking_quest
April 19th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I can't comment on your products because I've never heard of them or now what exactly they sell in the south of France but as for your brush. I recommend either replacing it with a brush without the balls at the end, getting a comb or brushing very gently. The ball can rip through tangles and it isn't very good on your hair.

Nastacia
April 19th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I'd thought so, it is so frustrating living in such a *country side* ._. It's a shame, but thank you for your advice anyhow ! I will make sure to change it !

RancheroTheBee
April 19th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Wouldn't a mask be a little much for regular conditioning? What's the consistency/ingredients?

Nastacia
April 19th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I wash my hair once a week, hum - the problem is the package with the ingridients written on it was thrown away, so I have no clue.
A quick Q. do silicones damage hair ? I'm pretty sure I should change from Kerastaze to something less strong.

Runzel
April 19th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Silicones basically coat the hair and form a barrier, so that moisture can't get in. It can't get out either, but once the 'conse are there you're stuck with it unless/until you clarify thoroughly and start from scratch again. I would recommend you experiment without them for a bit and find out what works for you. It seems when most people do this they either end up going cone-free or else use cones sparingly when needed.

I second viking's suggestion about your brush.

If your ends are dry, I recommend treating them with moisturizing stuff more than the rest of your hair, as it sounds like you currently do the same thing for all your hair. Remember, the roots are getting sebum (the oil your scalp produces) but the ends are not, so they usually need a little extra TLC (that's "tender loving care", not a product abbreviation :rolleyes:). One method of doing this is CWC, or "condition, wash, condition" where (to my understanding) you put conditioner on the lower parts of your hair away from your scalp, and then without washing it out apply shampoo just to the roots and first few inches of your hair. Then you rinse the whole thing out, allowing the shampoo to just run down the length of your hair on its way to the drain along with the conditioner, and then use conditioner all over your hair as usual and wash it out. Since I don't use shampoo or conditioner, I've never done it and may not be explaining it right, but it sounds like in your case your hair would like it. :)

The alcohol in the beer could be drying for your hair, so you may want to consider removing it from your routine and seeing if that makes a difference.

For me personally, the less products/ingredients used, the better. I like to know that my hair can "stand on its own two feet", so to speak, so I only use products that make a noticeable difference in the health of my hair, and every once in a while stretch out the time between applications, lessen the amount used, or go without to see if my hair still needs it as much.

Finally, don't forget to try only one thing at a time, otherwise you won't know which change is doing what!:cheese:

JamieLeigh
April 20th, 2009, 09:01 AM
One thing that has helped my dry ends tremendously has been extra-virgin olive oil. I love it! Other people use oils like coconut, jojoba and emu, but EVOO is the easiest to find and it works very well. :)

shypie
April 20th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Do you dip the tips of your hair in EVOO or spray them?

jera
April 20th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I would ditch the brush and the hairbands. :)

Shanarana
April 20th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I use plenty of coconut oil on my ends. It absorbs well and than use jojoba oil over that to seal in the moisture. There are great products out there that don't cost a lot of money. One popular brand here on the boards is VO5 shampoo and conditioners. They contain no cones and work very well for most. I personally have been switching back and forth to cones and no-cones depending on what I will be doing with my hair.

The brush needs to go. ;)

Nastacia
April 20th, 2009, 03:54 PM
shypie, Neither really, I'm not sure what EVOO is though :shy:
jera, DONE ! :D
Shanarana, I used some coconut oil on my hair today an it was great it was instant - I could feel that the end are better !
Poor brush...*bins*
I'm going to shop for some brushes, if any luck I'll find BBB the boar bristle ! If not to pick from what we got :(