PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used Mega-Tek?

birdiefu
April 4th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I've heard of it being used as another growth-aid. Apparently it was mentioned years ago on LHC but I can't search for it on the archives ATM. On another forum ladies are using it for good growth. Any experiences here with it? The ingredients don't seem to have anything special other than protein, but if it works...

Right now I'm using MN, and will for a month to see how my progress is on that (and hopefully fix my scalp gunk- the sulfur did help with that too). I've used a EO combo and also my EO combo with sulfur and got about .75"/month on average (sometimes 1"). I haven't used anything in a long time since I was pregnant and exclusively nursing (baby staring solids now) and don't get more than .5"/month. I was thinking of mixing the MN with the sulfur mix to see if that improves my growth rate. I also want to see how Mega-Tek does on its own, then possibly with a mix with either MN or the sulfur. But that will take a long time to get comparisons, as I want to do one month each.

Love to hear any thoughts on those who have used any of the above alone or in combination. Oh, and I like the smell of the Mega-Tek :).

Gilly
April 4th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Hi,

I am interested in this as well and will be watching this thread!

Teacherbear
April 4th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I've never used MegaTek, but it was all the rage about 6 years ago. A lot of the ladies (I don't think any guys reported using it) bought it at Petsmart (if they have equestrian goods and tack).

sweetlidlred
April 4th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Sorry for my ignorance...what is Mega-Tek?

birdiefu
April 4th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Mega-Tek is actually a horse product (but 'safe for human use', too) that is supposed to help strengthen and thicken manes and tails as well as help regrow hair from bald patches. Some people have discovered that it helped increase the rate of hair growth when used on the scalp. Apparently, the company that makes Mega-Tek (Eqyss) has branched out into a sister company (Ovation) to make a practically identical formula that is marketed for people to use to get 'Thicker, Longer, Stronger hair- guaranteed'. But the human form is much more expensive, of course.

From the companies' sites- Mega-Tek (http://www.eqyss.com/mega_tek.asp) and Ovation Cell Therapy (http://www.ovationhair.com/cell.htm)

Also a really long current thread on using those two products on longhaircareforum (let me know if I need to take this link out, not sure if it's okay to link to another forum):
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204301

I will be ending my current MN trial around the 19th of this month, then trim my growth, and start with Mega-Tek for a month. I will probably use it the same way as I am with MN right now, which is full-strength on the scalp after a wash, and slightly diluted with water on a dry scalp. But I wonder if I should perhaps devote two months to each product in order to give it more time to start up (if needed)?

Gilly
April 5th, 2008, 11:28 PM
OK I jumped on the bandwagon and ordered some Mega Tek and the Advocado spray!!
I measured today and will get the products on Tuesday so I will start using them straight away and will post results in 1 month. :cheese:

Kuchen
April 6th, 2008, 12:51 AM
I used it but never noticed a giant growth spurt. A mega-tek CO followed by a conefree CO did give me my shiniest hair ever though. And yes, it smells gorgeous.

nappywomyn
April 6th, 2008, 05:22 AM
I'm currently using it - seeing a nice little growth increase, and a decrease in broken hairs, and it smells fabulous.....

Angela_Rose
April 6th, 2008, 06:11 AM
I've never used MegaTek, but it was all the rage about 6 years ago. A lot of the ladies (I don't think any guys reported using it) bought it at Petsmart (if they have equestrian goods and tack).
Not anymore, i'm afraid. i worked at Petsmart/State Line Tack, and have now moved on, but State Line is no more.
Try Dover Saddlery.

Carolyn
April 6th, 2008, 07:03 AM
I tried it way back when it was a big fad at LHC. I don't remember it doing anything good or wonderful for my hair. I kind of liked the avocado spray. I think it must still be around here somewhere way in the back of the bathroom closet. If it's still there if I ever clean out the closet, I'd probably try it again. I do remember I thought it was very stinky. I hated the smell.

birdiefu
April 6th, 2008, 11:57 AM
For those of you that have/had used it, what kind of application are you/did you use? From what I've read, it isn't as effective when rinsed off right away, but perhaps daily rinse-off application would work? Did any of you do scalp application only? It does have a lot of protein, so I probably wouldn't use it in my length a lot. The fragrance is pretty strong, so I think it's a love-it or hate-it kinda thing!

Gilly- that's cool that you are going to be joining me, although I won't jump in until the 19th. Let me know how the avocado spray is too, I almost got it.

nappywomyn- How often do you use Mega-Tek, and how long have you been using it?

Sorry, baby is getting grumpy so I can't reply to you all.

nappywomyn
April 6th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I've been using it about 3-4 times a week, for about the last four weeks... - I massage it directly into my scalp.....

Kuchen
April 7th, 2008, 01:18 AM
I didn't have a regular pattern of use, but the best thing was using it as a protein treatment (leaving it to soak on hair) followed with a CO (also left to soak a while).

Gilly
April 8th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Well my Mega-Tek arrived this morning! :cheese:
I got some free samples too which was nice, I got a sample premier shampoo and a Premier spray, I phoned the company and got a breakdown of the ingredients for both and although the shampoo does have SLS in it the rest of the ingredients are nice.
I tried the Advocado mist and I was a bit heavy handed with it and looked a bit greasy, but my hair felt really nice!!
I am going to start using the Mega -Tek tomorrow and will post results, the lady I spoke to uses the horse range herself and she is more than happy with the results.

mommy2one05
April 8th, 2008, 05:06 AM
I've never heard of mega tek....is the mane n tail shampoo and co basically the same, it's also for horses. Just wondering cause I talked to a pharmacist about mn and he wouldn't recommend it. I'd really like to coax my hair to grow a bit faster. Would rogaine for women help....or is it just for regrowing bald spots?

nappywomyn
April 8th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I've never heard of mega tek....is the mane n tail shampoo and co basically the same, it's also for horses. Just wondering cause I talked to a pharmacist about mn and he wouldn't recommend it. I'd really like to coax my hair to grow a bit faster. Would rogaine for women help....or is it just for regrowing bald spots?

Mega-Tek and Mane & Tail are made by two different companies - so I don't know how they compare to each other.

Gilly
April 9th, 2008, 02:21 AM
I shampooed with the Premier shampoo sample that they kindly sent me, it does have SLS but I figure if I only use it once in a while it will be fine.
I applied the Mega Tek just like a conditioner, worked it through making sure that I really got through to my scalp, I left it on for 5 mins as recommended and rinsed it out.
My hair felt much thicker and pretty soft, I air dried it as usual and then added a tiny spray of the Premier spray (another sample) and it looked really nice and it feels good.
I hope I get a good result from this as it costs AU$69 for the 473ml bottle!!!!

birdiefu
April 28th, 2008, 09:59 AM
How's it going, everyone? I started using Mega-Tek on my scalp on the 22nd of April. Applied undiluted on freshly washed hair and diluted with a dropper on dry scalp. I tried using it undiluted on my dry scalp, but I think it was a bit too much and I had poofy sorta greasy-looking roots. I like the smell and the slippyness, I'm considering using it on my length for the next time I want a lot of protein.

My initial measurement on the 22nd was 36.25" (seemed to have lost 1/4" *after* my trim or maybe I measured wrong). I'll post on the 22nd of May to let you all know if I got any extra growth. My MN trial was a bust, I had a tad under 1/2" growth with that, maybe this might help...

birdiefu
May 5th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Just wanted to say that I measured last night on oiled hair and seemed to have gained 1/2" since the 22nd already! That isn't how I usually measure (right after washing most of the time), so I remeasured today after washing. Yup, 1/2"! It's been half a month and I already have my usual monthly growth, even when I tried MN. I hope to gain back those 2+ inches I trimmed quickly!

Kuchen
May 6th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Where'd you get your Mega Tek? I had to have my old bottle send to a friend's house in the UK and brought over in their luggage.

birdiefu
May 6th, 2008, 05:40 AM
I got a bottle of the Equine stuff at stagecoastwest.com, it was the cheapest at the time, but they have since raised prices. I also got a second bottle, marketed towards dogs (the pet rebuilder), at arcatapet.com. It is even more pricey, but turned out to have the same ingredients as the equine stuff :shrug:. But I have barely touched my first bottle since I just use it on the scalp. I'm not sure if those places ship to Europe or not, though.

Kuchen
May 6th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Thank you! I think I found a German supplier but didn't have a German bank account at the time. I just remembered that after I'd posted!

curly girl fla
October 30th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Just curious if anyone is still using this, and what kind of results you're getting??? I see raves about it on a couple of other forums (and before/after comparisons that are quite impressive).... It seems expensive, but the bottles are large-it looks like it would last a long time with just scalp application...Anyone? :)

nappywomyn
October 31st, 2008, 12:09 PM
Still using it, still loving it. I swear, the stuff is making my hair better.

And for the ladies on the European side of the Atlantic, tailgator.uk.com (or is it .com.uk?) is the best/cheapest supplier people have found over there.

curly girl fla
November 2nd, 2008, 10:51 AM
Still using it, still loving it. I swear, the stuff is making my hair better.

And for the ladies on the European side of the Atlantic, tailgator.uk.com (or is it .com.uk?) is the best/cheapest supplier people have found over there.
Thanks for your feedback! I'm so glad to hear you have had long-term success with it. I actually have used it for about a week, scalp only every night and also as a conditioner when washing. I just wanted to know what to expect. My hair likes protein, so I wasn't concerned about that. My hair feels wonderful, and, it may just be wishful thinking, but I swear I see more root growth. Unfortunately, that means I need to henna sooner, but I'm very impressed for such a short period of time utilizing the product. I hope it continues on like this :) ...