PDA

View Full Version : Braid question :P

Freestyler
April 19th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Hi there :)
I was thinking; What if you braid your hair in braids (just regular english braids) of 1 cm or so and let them stay for a month or more, do you think it will be good for your hair?

Aisha25
April 19th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I think they would go frizzy and fuzzy:lol:

viking_quest
April 19th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I think they would go frizzy and fuzzy:lol:

I think the same.

spidermom
April 19th, 2009, 12:32 PM
If you have typical Caucasian hair (I can't speak for any other hair type), braids left for a long time can be quite difficult to comb out later because all the shed hairs will be clumped up in there. I've left mine in small braids for up to a week, and it was a nightmare combing it all out. Plus they got frizzy and fuzzy- looking.

Fethenwen
April 19th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Sounds like a good way to get rasta ^^

Noctifer
April 19th, 2009, 12:40 PM
If you dont rebraid them when needed i would say no.

But when i had lots of smaller braids, like 15 or more in the hair whitch i then wore pulled back in a pony tail i did rebraid the braids that looked to fuzzy when it was needed and never did i notice any problem. and i hade them for about three weeks or so

Coffeebug
April 19th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I need to re-braid during the day cos the little pokey out bits proddle my neck hahaha... so I'd lose my mind if I left it for a month!

Cindi Eponabri
April 19th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't recommend it unless you are going for dreadlocks....

Hi there :)
I was thinking; What if you braid your hair in braids (just regular english braids) of 1 cm or so and let them stay for a month or more, do you think it will be good for your hair?

pdy2kn6
April 19th, 2009, 03:29 PM
i agree with the other posts, it may seem like a good idea in theory, as it would be safely secure in a tight braid, hwowever the shed hairs would make it a problem in reality. I would say stick to braiding it at the start of the day, to remove shed hairs and comb out shorter hairs which have come loose from wearing the braid

AprilElf
April 19th, 2009, 03:31 PM
If you are very careful they shouldn't cause too much damage, but I don't think they are that 'good' for your hair. Taking them out would be the most damage-causing thing.

I had my hair done in African braids on two different occasions a number of years ago. It's an awesome style for summer!
I'm trying to remember how long I had them in for ... :rolleyes: Somewhere between 8 to 12 weeks? I gradually re-braided them myself (a 'handful' per day) when they started to look too fuzzy. With no re-braiding they might have lasted about 4-6 weeks.
I was told that using extensions would make the braids look nicer for longer, but I chose I use all my own hair. Uh, yeah ... didn't really need 'extensions'! :D

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/%7Eaemurray/longhair/braids.jpg

I do think having these braids did a lot of damage to my hair, but that was because I didn't know much about hair care back then, and I was pretty rough with my hair.
I really did enjoy having these braids, though. ;)

JamieLeigh
April 20th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I would not recommend it - I tried it last autumn and left them in for about 2 weeks. My ends were kinked up afterward forEVER. :rolleyes: I felt so bad about it, like I had just undone a long time of good care.